ArenaNet please rethink how you sell the game with Steam release.

Marvellous.4620

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > LS3 bridges the gap between HoT and PoF expansions and LS4/5 will do the same between PoF and EoD. I don't see LS2 being any different in that regard.

> > >

> > > You see no difference between going from HOT to POF and going from Core to HOT? Someone that finished HOT will have no issue playing in POF, but that's not the same as going from Core to HOT. Talking about a performance/challenge gap here, not a story gap

> >

> > There were players who played LS2 that still struggled when playing HoT. Playing on the LS2 maps is also sufficient. All that’s locked behind LS2 is the story and some achievements.

>

> You are right, all that's locked behind the purchase of LS2 is the story. But there is nothing directing players to those LS2 maps, even if the use the instant level 80 booster. They could find a way to "direct" players that finish Core to those LS2 maps, or even Southsun Cove before that. Up until that point the Personal Story was responsible to direct players to the next level appropriate zone, but that doesn't work once you complete the story. Because as it is, right after you kill Zhaitan you are "sent" to Verdant Brink by the story. And there is a rather sizeable gap there

So after you finish the main game, you are "sent" to Verdant Brink, to what end? To start LS2? Isn't that something directing them to the LS 2 maps, or are you saying that that's what happens if you don't own the LS as well? Because, as an interesting aside, I just started LS 2 last night, again, and it sent me to, you guessed it, Verdant Brink, because that's where the story starts for LS 2.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > LS3 bridges the gap between HoT and PoF expansions and LS4/5 will do the same between PoF and EoD. I don't see LS2 being any different in that regard.

> > > >

> > > > You see no difference between going from HOT to POF and going from Core to HOT? Someone that finished HOT will have no issue playing in POF, but that's not the same as going from Core to HOT. Talking about a performance/challenge gap here, not a story gap

> > >

> > > There were players who played LS2 that still struggled when playing HoT. Playing on the LS2 maps is also sufficient. All that’s locked behind LS2 is the story and some achievements.

> >

> > You are right, all that's locked behind the purchase of LS2 is the story. But there is nothing directing players to those LS2 maps, even if the use the instant level 80 booster. They could find a way to "direct" players that finish Core to those LS2 maps, or even Southsun Cove before that. Up until that point the Personal Story was responsible to direct players to the next level appropriate zone, but that doesn't work once you complete the story. Because as it is, right after you kill Zhaitan you are "sent" to Verdant Brink by the story. And there is a rather sizeable gap there

>

> So after you finish the main game, you are "sent" to Verdant Brink, to what end? To start LS2? Isn't that something directing them to the LS 2 maps, or are you saying that that's what happens if you don't own the LS as well? Because, as an interesting aside, I just started LS 2 last night, again, and it sent me to, you guessed it, Verdant Brink, because that's where the story starts for LS 2.

Doesn't S2 start in Dry Top?

Verdant brink didn't exist when S2 started. That's a HoT expansion map

I'm amazed how many people in this thread don't seem to understand what is being suggested?

This thread isn't about making LW seasons free, it's about clearly mentioning that those seasons are not part of any expansion purchase on steam but need to be purchased seperately through the ingame gem store.

Some people are suggesting that Anet should bundle the expansions and the LW seasons so you can buy everything currently available right from the start. This should obviously not be exclusive to the Steam release. Other people are suggesting that it should be possible to buy individual LW seasons directly through steam in addition to the ingame store.

The vast majority of people are not suggesting that LW seasons should be free.

I really don't see any reason to be against this.

> @"jokke.6239" said:

> > @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > LS3 bridges the gap between HoT and PoF expansions and LS4/5 will do the same between PoF and EoD. I don't see LS2 being any different in that regard.

> > > > >

> > > > > You see no difference between going from HOT to POF and going from Core to HOT? Someone that finished HOT will have no issue playing in POF, but that's not the same as going from Core to HOT. Talking about a performance/challenge gap here, not a story gap

> > > >

> > > > There were players who played LS2 that still struggled when playing HoT. Playing on the LS2 maps is also sufficient. All that’s locked behind LS2 is the story and some achievements.

> > >

> > > You are right, all that's locked behind the purchase of LS2 is the story. But there is nothing directing players to those LS2 maps, even if the use the instant level 80 booster. They could find a way to "direct" players that finish Core to those LS2 maps, or even Southsun Cove before that. Up until that point the Personal Story was responsible to direct players to the next level appropriate zone, but that doesn't work once you complete the story. Because as it is, right after you kill Zhaitan you are "sent" to Verdant Brink by the story. And there is a rather sizeable gap there

> >

> > So after you finish the main game, you are "sent" to Verdant Brink, to what end? To start LS2? Isn't that something directing them to the LS 2 maps, or are you saying that that's what happens if you don't own the LS as well? Because, as an interesting aside, I just started LS 2 last night, again, and it sent me to, you guessed it, Verdant Brink, because that's where the story starts for LS 2.

>

> Doesn't S2 start in Dry Top?

> Verdant brink didn't exist when S2 started. That's a HoT expansion map

Nope, the portal to Dry Top is in Verdant Brink. You go there, meet your S1 guild, chat with Delequa's sister, and fight off the Inquest, and then use the portal to Dry Top.

Image buying the game on steam then buying living world episodes with gems just to notice how some of them are completely unplayable like thunderhead keeps due to lag that is not being addresses or fixed at all for a long time. Makes this game looks like a complete joke and this will be shown in the reviews.

> > @"jokke.6239" said:

> > > @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > LS3 bridges the gap between HoT and PoF expansions and LS4/5 will do the same between PoF and EoD. I don't see LS2 being any different in that regard.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You see no difference between going from HOT to POF and going from Core to HOT? Someone that finished HOT will have no issue playing in POF, but that's not the same as going from Core to HOT. Talking about a performance/challenge gap here, not a story gap

> > > > >

> > > > > There were players who played LS2 that still struggled when playing HoT. Playing on the LS2 maps is also sufficient. All that’s locked behind LS2 is the story and some achievements.

> > > >

> > > > You are right, all that's locked behind the purchase of LS2 is the story. But there is nothing directing players to those LS2 maps, even if the use the instant level 80 booster. They could find a way to "direct" players that finish Core to those LS2 maps, or even Southsun Cove before that. Up until that point the Personal Story was responsible to direct players to the next level appropriate zone, but that doesn't work once you complete the story. Because as it is, right after you kill Zhaitan you are "sent" to Verdant Brink by the story. And there is a rather sizeable gap there

> > >

> > > So after you finish the main game, you are "sent" to Verdant Brink, to what end? To start LS2? Isn't that something directing them to the LS 2 maps, or are you saying that that's what happens if you don't own the LS as well? Because, as an interesting aside, I just started LS 2 last night, again, and it sent me to, you guessed it, Verdant Brink, because that's where the story starts for LS 2.

> >

> > Doesn't S2 start in Dry Top?

> > Verdant brink didn't exist when S2 started. That's a HoT expansion map

>

> Nope, the portal to Dry Top is in Verdant Brink. You go there, meet your S1 guild, chat with Delequa's sister, and fight off the Inquest, and then use the portal to Dry Top.

That's Brisban Wildlands you are thinking of. For someone that started LS2 last night you really need to read the map names.

> @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> I'm amazed how many people in this thread don't seem to understand what is being suggested?

> This thread isn't about making LW seasons free, it's about clearly mentioning that those seasons are not part of any expansion purchase on steam but need to be purchased seperately through the ingame gem store.

> Some people are suggesting that Anet should bundle the expansions and the LW seasons so you can buy everything currently available right from the start. This should obviously not be exclusive to the Steam release. Other people are suggesting that it should be possible to buy individual LW seasons directly through steam in addition to the ingame store.

> The vast majority of people are not suggesting that LW seasons should be free.

>

> I really don't see any reason to be against this.

Exactly. I don't know where anyone got the idea that 'bundle them together' means 'give it away for free'.

It's just about putting the full cost into one purchase for people who want to buy everything right away, which would also send the message (even for people who don't buy that version) that there is more available than just the expansions, so they'll know if they choose to buy the cheaper version with just HoT and PoF that there will be additional content to buy later on and are less likely to be annoyed when they see it in the gem store.

At the moment it's very easy for new players who don't know anything about GW2 to buy the existing bundle of base game + HoT + PoF and believe they've purchased all of the content, so it comes as a nasty surprise to find out that's not the case and they need to pay more for the bits in between. It comes up all the time on this forum that someone bought the game thinking they were getting everything and can't understand why they have to buy "the story" separately. This way the people who want to make sure they're buying everything can do that, and people who choose not to will at least see that there was a more expensive version with more content available and should therefore expect to find that the extra content they chose not to pay for is locked until they do.

(In a round-about way that option is already available, because if you buy the Ultimate Edition you'll get more than enough gems to buy season 2, 3 and 4. But unless you do the research yourself there's no way to know that's one of the things you might want to buy. This would add a new kind of ultimate edition where instead of gems you get the seasons unlocked automatically.)

I think it would definitely benefit GW2 if they released a "complete" version.

As for the whole "How dare someone get a better deal than me", that is silly. The game wants to bring new people in. As someone whose played since beta, bring on the new players. Fill out the world more. Give people deals, hell if I care. I will never understand the whole getting triggered over someone getting it cheaper than them.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > > @"jokke.6239" said:

> > > > @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > > > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > LS3 bridges the gap between HoT and PoF expansions and LS4/5 will do the same between PoF and EoD. I don't see LS2 being any different in that regard.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You see no difference between going from HOT to POF and going from Core to HOT? Someone that finished HOT will have no issue playing in POF, but that's not the same as going from Core to HOT. Talking about a performance/challenge gap here, not a story gap

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There were players who played LS2 that still struggled when playing HoT. Playing on the LS2 maps is also sufficient. All that’s locked behind LS2 is the story and some achievements.

> > > > >

> > > > > You are right, all that's locked behind the purchase of LS2 is the story. But there is nothing directing players to those LS2 maps, even if the use the instant level 80 booster. They could find a way to "direct" players that finish Core to those LS2 maps, or even Southsun Cove before that. Up until that point the Personal Story was responsible to direct players to the next level appropriate zone, but that doesn't work once you complete the story. Because as it is, right after you kill Zhaitan you are "sent" to Verdant Brink by the story. And there is a rather sizeable gap there

> > > >

> > > > So after you finish the main game, you are "sent" to Verdant Brink, to what end? To start LS2? Isn't that something directing them to the LS 2 maps, or are you saying that that's what happens if you don't own the LS as well? Because, as an interesting aside, I just started LS 2 last night, again, and it sent me to, you guessed it, Verdant Brink, because that's where the story starts for LS 2.

> > >

> > > Doesn't S2 start in Dry Top?

> > > Verdant brink didn't exist when S2 started. That's a HoT expansion map

> >

> > Nope, the portal to Dry Top is in Verdant Brink. You go there, meet your S1 guild, chat with Delequa's sister, and fight off the Inquest, and then use the portal to Dry Top.

>

> That's Brisban Wildlands you are thinking of. For someone that started LS2 last night you really need to read the map names.

You are correct. That's the problem with my disability. I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, if I did. I stand corrected.

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > They just need to offer all of the seasons as add ons. Currently only LS2 is available.

>

> If you were here when the others released, and logged in during the window of time that they were available, you got them for free, and they won't show up in the store. I got s4, but had to buy 2 and 3.

Unfortunately your response really has nothing to do with what I said. My post, including this thread, isn’t about existing players. If you go to buy the game on the website, you’ll see that only LS2 is available as an add-on.

> @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> i agree. They need to do smt about Living World. Either add them on the sales or make a special pack or smt like that

you mean these packs?

* [Living_World_Season_2_Complete_Pack](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_2_Complete_Pack)

* [Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack)

* [Living_World_Season_4_Complete_Pack](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_4_Complete_Pack)

> @"michelada.2947" said:

> Before releasing the game on steam they need to fix the lag in general and give the seasons for free (only on steam), is the way to start with the right foot.

New players will have enough content to go through, so I'm not sure why you'd say they need to give lw seasons for free all of the sudden.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > > > I would not see any reasons why people would be jarring (unless they are cheap and want everything for free!).

> > > >

> > > > That's all well and good, but can someone explain why Season 2 story costs 1280 gems while Season 3 and 4 cost 960 gems. The Season 2 complete package unlocks just the story, since the maps are available to everyone, while Season 3 and 4 unlock all their respective maps as well as the story. Season 3/4 has more story, more maps, more content in general, and they cost less than Season 2. It's really weird that the Season that should be the cheapest, because it bridges core with expansion content in terms of difficulty, is the most expensive.

> > > >

> > > > Edit: Season 2 costs 435 gold or 16$ (20$ for 1600, then use 1280 of those to buy it), both are a really high price to pay for a fresh level 80 player that just finished the personal story and simply wants to experience the content that bridges the gap with the first expansion.

> > >

> > > It's because Season 2 has 8 episodes and Seasons 3 and 4 have 6. Episodes are 200 gems each, and there's a 20% discount for buying the whole season together.

> >

> > I don't think Season 2 episodes have the same value as Season 3 or Season 4 episodes, especially considering the important role Season 2 plays in bridging the gap between the core game and the expansions.

>

> I don't think it makes sense either, but as far as I know that is the reasoning - it's literally priced according to the number of episodes, with no regard for what you get as part of them.

>

They set the price at 200 gems per episode long before Season 3 started, probably before they knew each episode would include a new map. So my guess is, having set that price for Season 2, they probably felt that they couldn't raise it for Season 3 (at least, not without drawing heavy criticism), even though Season 3 episodes have more content.

> @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > @"michelada.2947" said:

> > Before releasing the game on steam they need to fix the lag in general and give the seasons for free (only on steam), is the way to start with the right foot.

>

> New players will have enough content to go through, so I'm not sure why you'd say they need to give lw seasons for free all of the sudden.

Because is a new start for some players?, and yeah there is a lot of content but you are cutting a lot of the story just for not giving the season for free, the least anet can do is inform the people they are not getting the seasons even when they are paying full price for the game, i want the community to grow, anyways, most of us got the seasons free of charge i don't see the big problem.

> @"Parasite.5389" said:

> > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > i agree. They need to do smt about Living World. Either add them on the sales or make a special pack or smt like that

>

> you mean these packs?

> * [Living_World_Season_2_Complete_Pack](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_2_Complete_Pack)

> * [Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack)

> * [Living_World_Season_4_Complete_Pack](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_4_Complete_Pack)

By "Special Pack" I think they meant something along the line of "Gold Edition". Where you pay a higher price, but everything is included.

> @"Fractured.3928" said:

> > @"Parasite.5389" said:

> > > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > > i agree. They need to do smt about Living World. Either add them on the sales or make a special pack or smt like that

> >

> > you mean these packs?

> > * [Living_World_Season_2_Complete_Pack](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_2_Complete_Pack)

> > * [Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack)

> > * [Living_World_Season_4_Complete_Pack](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_4_Complete_Pack)

>

> By "Special Pack" I think they meant something along the line of "Gold Edition". Where you pay a higher price, but everything is included.

exactly

> > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > @"michelada.2947" said:

> > > Before releasing the game on steam they need to fix the lag in general and give the seasons for free (only on steam), is the way to start with the right foot.

> >

> > New players will have enough content to go through, so I'm not sure why you'd say they need to give lw seasons for free all of the sudden.

>

> Because is a new start for some players?, and yeah there is a lot of content but you are cutting a lot of the story just for not giving the season for free, the least anet can do is inform the people they are not getting the seasons even when they are paying full price for the game, i want the community to grow, anyways, most of us got the seasons free of charge i don't see the big problem.

What you're getting when you make the purchase is plainly laid out on the store pages. My fresh start included having to buy LS 2 and 3. I wasn't put out by it, because I know how the system works. I've gotten the subsequent releases for free, because I was active when they released. Once again with the assumption that Steam players aren't gamers, and don't understand how DLC type content works?

> > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > @"michelada.2947" said:

> > > Before releasing the game on steam they need to fix the lag in general and give the seasons for free (only on steam), is the way to start with the right foot.

> >

> > New players will have enough content to go through, so I'm not sure why you'd say they need to give lw seasons for free all of the sudden.

>

> Because is a new start for some players?, and yeah there is a lot of content but you are cutting a lot of the story just for not giving the season for free,

I don't see how that's so much different for anyone starting to play gw2 at any point after the release of lw s1 or 2 or even from people that missed some of the episodes in the middle for one reason or the other.

>the least anet can do is inform the people they are not getting the seasons even when they are paying full price for the game, i want the community to grow, anyways, most of us got the seasons free of charge i don't see the big problem.

Yup, I agree that informing the players about the extent of the content they pay for and still don't get without paying is something that should be done.

> @"Chyanne Waters.8719" said:

> Why should people on steam get breaks that people who have played this game for 8+years will not get

I won't feel like new folks will get a better break than I have had, having played the game since launch. After all, we got it for free (assuming logging in on a fairly regular basis). I think it's a great idea to offer Steam Players, or all players for that matter, the temporary opportunity to get one or more seasons for free; perhaps as celebration/promotion of GW2 on Steam.

On another note, I've been playing with some returning guildies who didn't have all the LW seasons unlocked, and at least in their case it was a bit annoying but not a deterrent to them playing GW2. The price is pretty low, and given there's no subscription they didn't fuss too much about buying the missing chapters so they could complete the story.

> @"Ra Ra.9423" said:

> > @"Chyanne Waters.8719" said:

> > Why should people on steam get breaks that people who have played this game for 8+years will not get

>

> I won't feel like new folks will get a better break than I have had, having played the game since launch. After all, we got it for free (assuming logging in on a fairly regular basis). I think it's a great idea to offer Steam Players, or all players for that matter, the temporary opportunity to get one or more seasons for free; perhaps as celebration/promotion of GW2 on Steam.

>

> On another note, I've been playing with some returning guildies who didn't have all the LW seasons unlocked, and at least in their case it was a bit annoying but not a deterrent to them playing GW2. The price is pretty low, and given there's no subscription they didn't fuss too much about buying the missing chapters so they could complete the story.

Well you could say you paid for the living story, since they got full price core, full price heart of thorns and full price path of fire out of you.

Something new players now get first one free and the other two for price of the cheapest one.

Actually there are already packs with the expansion + LWS3 (With HoT) or LWS4 (With PoF). They just must be announced properly in the game store (and not only on the gem shop) specially post Steam Release. Also a pack with both expansions + All LW (Seasons 2 to 4 and Icebrood saga) added to the Steam release wouldn't be a bad idea.