Legendary collections, why would you do them?

After finishing my Shining Blade (glorious-looking sword, no regrets), I embarked on a new journey to get the fabulous Moot!

Now I've been playing for years on and off now, since 2012 or something I think, so naturally I went for the Legendary collection. Finished up the first step, 10 deldrimmor ingots, 10 spiritwood planks, 10 elonian leathers, 100 memories of battle. Fine. But then, I saw the second step, and I just decided I'd buy the precursor for 70 golds instead of having to deal with nearly 20 deldrimmor ingots and spiritwood planks more. More cost efficient, less time to invest. So essentially I've just thrown about 120 golds in this first step and got 3 achievement points out of it, and have to throw even more, doubled with the grind in pre-HoT maps (that we've grinded too much already let's be honest), when I could buy the precursor for a measly 70 gold coins....

Something is wrong with these legendary collections, it is clear that they are not up to date anymore. The third step of the collections, now these are very fun, IMO these are done very right, but unless something is done, rather it is lowering the precursor drop rates, or changing up these outdated achievements, I don't know why someone would want to go through the ordeal that are the first and second steps. There's just no point in doing so. Now I knew right away that doing the achievement would cost more, but I remembered the third step from my previous Juggernaut endeavour and thought I wanted to go that good old route again. Nah, what a hassle.

They were intended to give players a way to work towards obtaining a precursor rather than relying on RNG or the TP. The costs were more comparable between the popular ones but Anet quickly killed that when they introduced LS3 and started adding ascended material drops to everything.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> They were intended to give players a way to work towards obtaining a precursor rather than relying on RNG or the TP. The costs were more comparable between the popular ones but Anet quickly killed that when they introduced LS3 and started adding ascended material drops to everything.

Yes I remember back in the day, the prices of precursors was through the roof, and it was supposed to be that way, felt right.

Buying the precursors/weapons is usually loads cheaper and more efficient if you're just looking to get the legendary, but most people I know are doing the collections for AP and occasionally for the novelties you obtain as you complete certain steps.

It's sort of weird that AP and tonics would be the reason to do a legendary journey and not the legendary itself, but it be like that sometimes.

I did my research ahead of time, and decided which legendaries I would do the achivements, and which ones not based on which was more economical. I already started some achievements like Twilight, incinerator, etc. and I’m not even at the point I want to make the legendary yet. Any ascended materials I need I’ll just save up and craft when I can. Not a big deal. If you jump right in and don’t research then yes it could be screwing you in some costs.

I just did all the first part of all legendary journeys because first I wanted to have something to do and second for the 3 AP each. And it was nice, I visited places in Tyria I havn't seen for 8 years, I joined old events, did some fractals (after the big PoF necro nerfs I left fractals as necros weren't good enough then in my eyes).

And I don't intend to do the expensive second part of all the journeys.

I did a few for the AP and it generally offers a, more or less, RNG-free way to work towards a precursor. However, buying it is cheaper nowadays and I think the way to go, if you want the legendary.

Beside that, the collections offer some form lore or backstory to a legendary and some of them involve interesting variations of "go there, kill x" or "find x and press F" that add to the immersion of the game. It keeps people playing, doing the quests and treasure hunts I guess.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> > Early gen 2 legendaries you have to do the collection quest don't you?

>

> Yes and they had some really good collections. Chuka and Champawat is exceptional and you get some fun goodies along the way

Yeah I did Astralaria and I'm currently making my way through that collection.

I like that it's a non-RNG method which isn't purely about farming gold. I've done it both ways (admittedly I bought a precursor back when they were much more expensive) and completing a few pieces for a collection feels a lot more like making progress to me than adding a bit of gold to a slowly growing total to put towards a constantly changing target.

But also I like feeling like I've actually done the whole process, that I made my legendary, instead of buying a major component off someone else. I made The Dreamer back before precursor crafting was an option and after making The Bifrost using the collections I found it really bothered me that I hadn't gone through the whole process for my first one. I actually did all the collections to make a 2nd Lover, then turned it into the finished legendary and sold it because I didn't need a duplicate but I wanted to have made it.

For the foreseeable future it's not really a choice though. My 3rd legendary was the Claw of the Khan-Ur and the next ones I'm planning are either Nevermore or Exordium, none of those have tradable precursors so I have to do the collections. But if I ever make another gen 1 legendary I think I'll craft the precursor too, because I prefer doing it that way even if it's more expensive.

(Also I think it helps that my first step - once I admit I'm starting a legendary - is always to create a spreadsheet listing everything I'll need for the whole process, so I know before I start collecting anything what all the steps are going to take and there's no nasty surprises. It also means I can start collecting some things in advance of the step which needs them, or at least not sell materials I've already got and will need later on.)