[Poll] Weapon for the next Guardian Elite Specialization

Sodeni.6041

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of a parrying dagger. The specialization could be about granting toughness and/or swiftness to self/allies and inflicting vulnerability simultaneously. The spec could also provide benefits to the already existing off-hand shield.

Though if polearms are on the table, then that would be my pick.

> @Rennie.6750 said:

> I want a rifle, used as a shotgun with new animations and the "Inquisitor" elite spec, focused on support and tanking. Since the healing spec (firebrand) kind of failed to be anything but yet another dps spec, at least we could have that.

Why that feels that should be more burn and condi towards than spambrand lameness :S

i must say, Anet at class design.. they arent that good.

> @ProtoGunner.4953 said:

> You forgot something: As of now they had to introduce new features with every expansion. Gliding in HoT, mounts in PoF. For the next expansion they need something new and I could imagine new type of weapon(s).

That is an interesting observation. I would contend, though, that what they really want is new masteries, and gating new weapons behind masteries will probably infuriate people.

Still, they could make the masteries something that doesn't involve art assets, and have the artists make a few more weapon types.

Warhorns, torches and scepters are not weapons. GW2 trying to make them weapons is one the most stupid things. Staves aren't even weapons in the way that GW2 uses them. The GW2 team should just dump staves and use free hand magic. Staves as a weapon are heavy heartwood and are a cheap replacement for spears, hammers and halberds, especially in cultures where the population was forbidden from owning an actual weapon.

It would be nice to see the addition of halberds and spears as well as free hand casting without a weapon.

> @Ellisande.5218 said:

> Warhorns, torches and scepters are not weapons. GW2 trying to make them weapons is one the most stupid things. Staves aren't even weapons in the way that GW2 uses them. The GW2 team should just dump staves and use free hand magic. Staves as a weapon are heavy heartwood and are a cheap replacement for spears, hammers and halberds, especially in cultures where the population was forbidden from owning an actual weapon.

>

> It would be nice to see the addition of halberds and spears as well as free hand casting without a weapon.

A pencil isn't a weapon either but John Wick killed three guys with it in a bar.

I like warhorn the least thematically, so I expect it to be the next weapon. As a result, I've given more thought to how it could be made interesting.

I think the use of a warhorn should tie into virtues more heavily than the past two specializations. I've thought of two contrasting routes to go with this, The Fanatic and The Monk. I think mixing parts of them might actually work better, but this is what I'm leaning towards as of posting.

The Fanatic:

This specialization would remove the ability to use active virtues and instead see a boon to their passives(which would ideally stack well with the virtues tree). I think the concept could be bolstered by using Physical skills(currently available to only the warrior and the thief). These could be flavored as grabs/punches/throws. I think both weapon skills of the warhorn would be CC focused for this theme.

The Monk:

This specialization would see the virtues have drastically lower cooldowns with much weaker passives. I think glyphs play well with the the role that monks occupied in the original Guild Wars. Additionally, glyphs could have added affects depending on if certain virtues are on cooldown. This would incentivize clean management of virtues and glyphs. However, I'm not sure this really fills any roles that other builds don't already fill. Maybe have the weapon skills add mobility? I dunno.

Mechanically, I prefer the monk, but the idea of a guardian fanatic sounds really interesting thematically and ties back into one of the armor choices from character creation.

> @Ellisande.5218 said:

> Warhorns, torches and scepters are not weapons. GW2 trying to make them weapons is one the most stupid things. Staves aren't even weapons in the way that GW2 uses them. The GW2 team should just dump staves and use free hand magic. Staves as a weapon are heavy heartwood and are a cheap replacement for spears, hammers and halberds, especially in cultures where the population was forbidden from owning an actual weapon.

>

> It would be nice to see the addition of halberds and spears as well as free hand casting without a weapon.

The term 'weapon', in GW2, covers tools and implements as well as weapons. A scepter is effectively a weapon when it's used to channel magic attacks, even if you don't physically strike someone with it. A torch absolutely is a weapon if you're using it to set someone on fire, albeit generally not as efficient as conventional weapons unless your primary goal is to set a building on fire rather than to kill an enemy soldier - but in the GW2 context, it makes sense as a focus for fire-related magic (which is how most professions use it). Warhorns are a tool for communication and inspiration, and just as valid as a potential offhand as a focus.

"Freehand magic" isn't used because GW2's skill system and balance is based around weapons. You'd need to completely redesign the skill system to change that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I feel what Guardian is most lacking now is a good tank spec for pve/raiding. Especially when you look at raids the only way you can replace a Mesmer as a tank in the 'meta group' is with the ability to provide alacrity (or some other unique ability that improves other's damage as much) or the ability to be a tank while pumping out similar damage to a dps.

So before it seems like I am going too offtopic my vote is for offhand dagger. However rather than being used as an offensive weapon it should act more as a parrying dagger. Giving the guardian more block options. The parries can either open up the opponent for devastating counter attacks (i.e going for a decent dps) or applying a 'super vulnerability' state (similar to existing stun bar break vuln?) that increases all damage against the target temporarily.

I would love to see a 'land spear' but I don't think that is going to happen (Please ANet prove me wrong). I also think the next expansion it might be about time to see some completely new weapons, potentially Halberds/Glaives (could be essentially the land spear), fist weapons (probably not for guardians thematically), flail. I think as you start to see with the guardian if you continue with this trend of just giving new specs old weapons thematically it becomes more and more of a stretch.

They said that they do not plan on adding new weapons which is a bummer. I am sure we would be happy to see a spear to fight with. With so many melee weapons it is hard for me to say that a spear would be melee, rather a thrown weapon up to 900 range, but that would be good too.

However, an interesting idea would be to re-purpose those weapons that we can use right now. For example, with a new elite spec we would get a second set of skills to lock on a weapon that can be used with just core specs (but to use the new set you gotta equip the elite spec). That way we could have a staff as an offensive melee/ranged weapon or perhaps a long range hammer/greatsword,. There are many possibilities. But seriously, I would tap that dual shield tho.

> @"IDKismyname.4520" said:

> Warhorn. It fits the concept of supportive and defensive presence of what a Guardian is supposed to be. Offhand sword would be cool, too. Throw away the vigilant crusader image, and adopt the image of a fanatical zealot.

Well... I dig that idea too, with sword. Just as for warriors we have berserkers, I'd love to see an indomitable, righteous zealot slashing at everything with unbreakable will. Let's say... dual wielding swords, a spec that farts out boons as long as it is in combat, a support/dps spec. Gives healing to himself and allies (percentage) based on damage done, boons to allies as long as such zealot keeps on dealing damage in a fight, doing combos. Isn't that nice? A hard power melee spec in a raid that gives alacrity if the dps combos are just right. I could get behind that, it sounds dope my dudes.

> @"Aden.9306" said:

> The Trident! Really sea weapons on land! It would be neat. Not necessarily the same skill set though.

ANet stated wont be using water weapons before every class has every land weapon :bleep_bloop:

Before that happens expect every class to get traps and stealth gameplay lawl.