[Poll] Weapon for the next Guardian Elite Specialization

Sodeni.6041

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Commander Kanen.6031" said:

> "Land" spear (Paragon specialization) would be perfect for me. Failing that, Pistol

Lot of people would love this, but it's almost a certainty that Anet will never include a new weapon type in the game. The thing is, of all the weapon types, a land spear/polearm is the most sensible and requested addition and Anet has made it pretty obvious that they don't intend for spears to ever come to land, thus it's very unlikely any of the other lower priority weapons will ever make into the game either.

• 2 weeks later...

I want greatsword focused one. Something like Dark Knight in FF14. And with ability in traits to switch between condi and power. This way it would always be vaiable. Plus insane life steal and new, fast greatsword animations. Passive toughness and vitality gain from traits. And virtues should passively add quickness, regen , swiftness and resistance. Yeah something about that would do.

Personally, I would prefer a comprehensive "sword'n board" specialization for main hand sword/mace, off hand shield. Yes, we already have that and it's not too shabby, but it would be cool to take it to the next level. It is, after all, the traditional setup of a "guardian" type class in RPGs. :)

> @"Tatwi.3562" said:

> Personally, I would prefer a comprehensive "sword'n board" specialization for main hand sword/mace, off hand shield. Yes, we already have that and it's not too shabby, but it would be cool to take it to the next level. It is, after all, the traditional setup of a "guardian" type class in RPGs. :)

I was thinking about this concept the other day. Having an existing weapon get updated skills/abilities based on the new elite. It might not be widely accepted as people want something new and different as far as weapons go but I wouldn't have a problem with them doing that. Deep down, I wouldn't mind off-hand sword or main/off pistol.

• 3 weeks later...

Of the ideas I’ve seen, I’d definitely be more interested in a ranged spear paragon themed spec, a war horn offhand spiritualist spec which would work really well with existing weapons, or a trident/mace and mace themed monk spec.

Having a more single target based ranged weapon for spear and having the option to build for condi or power but be more selfish would be a pretty nice change of pace, even if paragons were still support centered originally.

• 1 year later...

> @"cptaylor.2670" said:

> Of the ideas I’ve seen, I’d definitely be more interested in a ranged spear paragon themed spec, a war horn offhand spiritualist spec which would work really well with existing weapons, or a trident/mace and mace themed monk spec.

>

> Having a more single target based ranged weapon for spear and having the option to build for condi or power but be more selfish would be a pretty nice change of pace, even if paragons were still support centered originally.

I also hope they will implement new weapons like spears. Guardian would be so cool with one!

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Drennon.7190" said:

> At first I thought off-hand sword, but how about mainhand focus. Call it Monk and let us punch things.

I highly doubt that Anet will ever allow offhand weapons to get used in the mainhand.

If they are going for a fistfighting theme, then they could easily give you dagger main- and offhand and give the spec a specific dagger skin that looks like knuckles.

> @"quaniesan.8497" said:

> If you want a pistol, you shouldn't be playing guardians. There's are better thematically correct classes wearing a pistol. What next? a elementalist with a rifle? Get real.

The thing is, there are people who want elementalist with a rifle.

I agree, tho, these weapons don't really fit these classes. Guardian should get a warhorn in my opinion. It is actually extremely weird that guardians were not able to wield them to this point.

I've not had time to read all the posts, but I like this thread! Here are some of my thoughts:

I voted for daggers! In Dungeons and Dragons (the father of all fantasy RPGs) there's a class called "Inquisitor" that's basically the combination of a Cleric and a Rogue. d20PFSRD describes it as:

_Grim and determined, the inquisitor roots out enemies of the faith, using trickery and guile when righteousness and purity is not enough. Although inquisitors are dedicated to a deity, they are above many of the normal rules and conventions of the church. They answer to their deity and their own sense of justice alone, and are willing to take extreme measures to meet their goals._

Source: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/

Personally, this is a fantasy that I'm a big fan of. I've played several inquisitors through many different pen and paper campaigns. The niche of the inquisitor would be stealth. Perhaps one of the Virtue abilities could allow the Inquisitor to enter stealth mode? Virtue of Courage, for instance. As of this moment, I don't have many ideas for what abilities they could unlock. I mainly want to mention it, as it is a really cool archetype in fantasy RPGs that is all too rarely seen. I do see two problems with the Inquisitor, though!

Firstly, dagger guardian after having gotten dagger warrior? Are they perhaps too similar?

Secondly, stealth and heavy armor might be a strange mix.

For me, personally, none of these two issues is a deal-breaker, but I can see how it would be for some people.

> @"Arcaedus.7290" said:

> * Crossbow/bowgun of sorts: This would be the "1-handed version" of the longbow or shortbow. It could even be equipped in an off-hand.

>

A handheld crossbow would also be an iconic weapon for an Inquisitor :) and it' s a neat idea in general.

[Edit 2020-04-24] Having thought some more about this, I think an off-hand pistol would be fitting as well. The idea of the Inquisitor is a Van Helsing type of character, using faith and guile to hunt down the unholy. As for abilities, if there's one thing Guardians lack it's a solid daze ability which is something the pistol could offer; a medium range interrupt!

As for the virtues, an idea I've had is that each virtue activates a buff for the guardian that alters the number 1 attack on your weapons which could last for about 6-8 seconds. For instance, with sword it could look something like this:

Virtue of Justice buff:

Your attack chain sends out projectiles and the third one in the chain causes burn.

Virtue of Resolve:

A portion of the damage from your attacks restore health. The third attack in the chain causes regeneration for you and your allies.

Virtue of Courage:

For the duration of the buff, your damage is increased by the amount of damage you take. The third attack in the chain causes protection for you and your allies.

It'd be neat if you could combine all three, but if that were to be OP maybe have it so that if you activate one buff, the current one is replaced. This idea is not tied specifically to the Inquisitor idea that I pitched, it's just a neat idea I've had for how the virtues could be different for the next elite specialization.