General Purpose Hybrid Burn Tempest

Jenny.4831

Hello everyone,

I was in the build editor earlier and created something which seems to look good on paper, at least to me. Before I go to the ridiculous expense of actually acquiring the gear, I wanted to get some outside opinions from more experienced players.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGBFsE26WZEsL2CrhVij6zVbD-zxQY1IunHNQZkQV0bq4wsQ/nG-e

Before this, I've been playing a marauder fresh air Tempest and while it is effective, it's also somewhat squishy and I have trouble with things I feel I shouldn't be having trouble with. I thought some extra toughness and a mixture of power/condi would help but I don't know. I've never really played a condi oriented Ele before. Before someone tells me I shouldn't even be using marauders and zerkers is the only way to go, I'll say this: There is no way in hell I'll do that. I feel vulnerable and have enough problems as it is, I don't need to make the situation worse.

Weaver is a lost cause, as the constant switching of attunements from one half to the other drives me crazy and I wind up getting frustrated to the point of tears. Actually, I despise Weaver so it's likely I'll never play it. I certainly won't play it much unless I suddenly become a masochist, which I don't see happening. I may dabble on the piano, but I don't want that in a video game where I need to pay attention to everything going on the screen as well.

My primary objective is open world pve and story. I dabble in WvW some too and thought maybe this would work as part of a group.

Anyways, I would appreciate some feedback as I would prefer to remain an Ele main as opposed to switching over to the Necro/Reaper for a less frustrating experience. Thematically, I like the Ele a lot better as I've always favored using elemental magics as opposed to death magics in video games.

In WoW I was a Mage before I decided I wanted to have a healing spec and went Druid.

In Diablo 1, 2 and 3 I was the Sorceress/Wizard class. I tried other things of course, but always went back to the elemental spell casters.

Thanks in advance,

Jennifer

Just use full dire or get some trailblazer for burn duration. Your traits are full condi and your power is too low to be important. You also have unnecessary 0 sustain in your build so healing power and diamond skin are worthless (you don't even need condi cleanse in pve for the most part). By splitting stats you reduce your damage massively and tempest with earth spec already gives you solid passive defense in melee range so there's no need for 7 stats when you can use just 3/4 while doing more damage and being tankier. You can find the build on metabattle.

Also, FA build can use scepter, which gives you plenty of range to kite enemies and avoid most damage either through kiting or blind fields so surviving shouldn't really be an issue. Sandstorm is by far the best defense ele can get in open world when it comes to random mobs with no breakbars.

Neither of these works well in wvw so I'd suggest running a completely different build, probably lightning rod tempest or a full support tempest build.

Hey Jennifer! you did well with the whole build/armor/ runes to do what you state you want to and that is open world pve and story. With the extra armor at 2700+ you will be able to withstand open world, plus with the combined crit 40% plus the condi at 1400+ with your power as is you will roll. However, it depends on if that is enough to satisfy your game play, if it is , you are good. If you feel like you want to push the envelope in open world and take on champions, with a group you will be fine even with average players around you, your armor will come in handy, but, if you are alone and want to challenge a champion the build may not be as optimal, healing power is on the low side, you will have conditions on you and they hit very hard, also some of them will have vets and a mob so even tougher to survive.

If you go tankier you will sacrifice dps from some sort, condi or power, or crit, so you may not be happy with less damage, most people are not. I think what you did is enough and more for you to have fun seeing decent dps and have enough survivability to have fun! Plus you may want to keep saving your mats, because you might want to make another armor set anyway to keep tinkering with another build, imo 1 of the really fun parts of this game! For general purpose you did well, i say go for it! have fun and gl!

Thank you for your thoughts.

Something I neglected to mention in my original post, and I'm not sure why other than I forgot or didn't think about it, is I have a set of ascended Cele armor and trinkets already. What I lack are the weapons.

As for Dire, I have exotic armor and weapons sitting in my bank. I presently lack the sigils (not an issue) and the trinkets.

Guess I was wondering which way I needed to go, Cele weapons or Dire trinks until I can make the Dire ascended armor and weapons.

I know, open world pve I don't need ascended but I like the pink font color and extra stats too much not to. Some time down the line I plan to make legendary armor through WvW as well, though that will take me quite awhile. I also hope this build (Dire version I suppose) will be viable in WvW in some way.

Jennifer

> @"Jenny.4831" said:

> Thank you for your thoughts.

>

> Something I neglected to mention in my original post, and I'm not sure why other than I forgot or didn't think about it, is I have a set of ascended Cele armor and trinkets already. What I lack are the weapons.

>

> As for Dire, I have exotic armor and weapons sitting in my bank. I presently lack the sigils (not an issue) and the trinkets.

>

> Guess I was wondering which way I needed to go, Cele weapons or Dire trinks until I can make the Dire ascended armor and weapons.

>

> I know, open world pve I don't need ascended but I like the pink font color and extra stats too much not to. Some time down the line I plan to make legendary armor through WvW as well, though that will take me quite awhile. I also hope this build (Dire version I suppose) will be viable in WvW in some way.

>

> Jennifer

>

>

>

Dont bother with ascended armor unless you're doing t4 fractals. It's a waste of time and gold. Extra stats from armor mean absolutely nothing.

As for trinkets, you can get them easily by farming LS3/4/5 maps since they all offer some kind of trinkets.

I have just about all of the LS3 currencies I need for the amulet, earrings, rings, back piece and mouth breather. I'm short a mere 29 bloodstones so I'm not concerned with that and will have that in short order. Before anyone says I don't need to bother with a mouth breather, I'll say this: I have more than 1,100 berries and 32,000 unbound magic. I have more than enough for the extra piece.

As for fractals, I wouldn't be able to use the Cele or Dire gear anyway because of the toughness issue. My only recourse there is the ascended Marauder's gear I've been using for my fire/air FA Tempest build. Fortunately, I have enough +9 agonies to account for most of what I would need for T4. (135 before potions and the mastery thing) My personal fractal level is 23 or something pathetic as I really haven't done too many of them. Something I want to change in the future.

I do wonder what I can use my Cele set for though, maybe a hybrid damage dealer/support aura Tempest in WvW. Then again, maybe I need Minstrels there and be more heals/support and less half and half. Another ridiculously expensive project and unlike the Cele, I have nothing for it at this point except Bifrost.

I'm almost done with Meteorlogicus 3 for my scepter builds, so there is that as well. No need to bother with an ascended dire scepter though I will want a focus and warhorn.

Jenny

> @"Jenny.4831" said:

> I have just about all of the LS3 currencies I need for the amulet, earrings, rings, back piece and mouth breather. I'm short a mere 29 bloodstones so I'm not concerned with that and will have that in short order. Before anyone says I don't need to bother with a mouth breather, I'll say this: I have more than 1,100 berries and 32,000 unbound magic. I have more than enough for the extra piece.

>

> As for fractals, I wouldn't be able to use the Cele or Dire gear anyway because of the toughness issue. My only recourse there is the ascended Marauder's gear I've been using for my fire/air FA Tempest build. Fortunately, I have enough +9 agonies to account for most of what I would need for T4. (135 before potions and the mastery thing) My personal fractal level is 23 or something pathetic as I really haven't done too many of them. Something I want to change in the future.

>

> I do wonder what I can use my Cele set for though, maybe a hybrid damage dealer/support aura Tempest in WvW. Then again, maybe I need Minstrels there and be more heals/support and less half and half. Another ridiculously expensive project and unlike the Cele, I have nothing for it at this point except Bifrost.

>

> I'm almost done with Meteorlogicus 3 for my scepter builds, so there is that as well. No need to bother with an ascended dire scepter though I will want a focus and warhorn.

>

> Jenny

>

>

>

>

Cele is a roaming set and even then you want half of your gear to have more offensive stats. Outside of that it's absolutely worthless since you sacrifice damage for the tankiness you dont need OR you have unnecessary offensive stats that your support build cant even output while still lacking boon duration.

Hmm, suppose I could convert my Cele gear into something more useful. It would save on costs associated with crafting the base armor. Something to think about for sure, though I do wonder if I should try for Minstrels insignias or just use it for the Dire set (or some other stat).

I'd say, since you already have the light celestial armor + celestial trinkets, just buy an exotic dire scepter and warhorn and try out the build. The ascended versions of those weapons won't make that great of an impact. So see how that goes. Then you might consider getting perhaps Trailblazer trinkets, which boosts conditions and tankiness. Or, if you think the celestial set is too tanky, you could go vipers.

I have some celestial sets too, and often mix in either the armor or the trinkets on various characters. I "beat the game" (story > hot > pof) on a celestial guardian > dragonhunter before moving on to other sets. It all depends on the person, and how well they react and otherwise mitigate damage. Me, I'd say, not so good, so tankier sets work better for me.

Anyway, seems it wouldn't be too hard to try it out with what you have.

> @"steki.1478" said:

> Just use full dire or get some trailblazer for burn duration.

This is the correct answer

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> I'd say, since you already have the light celestial armor + celestial trinkets, just buy an exotic dire scepter and warhorn and try out the build. The ascended versions of those weapons won't make that great of an impact.

This is absolutely awful advice.

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> Oh, no, I'm sorry. You shouldn't spend 2 gold to try out a build to learn for yourself if it works or not. You should only follow builds exactly that are on snowcrows, metabattle, et al.

Why would anyone recommend a dire stats scepter? Scepter is an absolutely hideous weapon for dealing condi damage. Better to just run dagger with condi based builds. With cele armor the OP will already have enough sustain to stay in melee facetank range for general pve.

I wasn't suggesting a scepter. The OP wanted to use one.

"Just use full dire or get some trailblazer for burn duration." + "With cele armor the OP will already have enough sustain to stay in melee facetank range for general pve."

So can't she use whatever she wants, since general pve is faceroll anyway? Which is it, gotta use the best weapons, or pve is too easy?

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> I wasn't suggesting a scepter. The OP wanted to use one.

>

> "Just use full dire or get some trailblazer for burn duration." + "With cele armor the OP will already have enough sustain to stay in melee facetank range for general pve."

>

> So can't she use whatever she wants, since general pve is faceroll anyway? Which is it, gotta use the best weapons, or pve is too easy?

???????????????

OP can even run around without any equipped weapon and just do pve with elemental summons if the point is to just do and use whatever.

he entire point is to suggest things that make OP's life easier not worse. Suggesting condi scepter is not exactly making things easier. If the OP is saying something like "I want to use a scepter on a condi build", You be honest and tell them that scepter on condi builds is awful. An dagger with dire stats would be better. That's helpful advice.

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> I wasn't suggesting a scepter. The OP wanted to use one.

>

> "Just use full dire or get some trailblazer for burn duration." + "With cele armor the OP will already have enough sustain to stay in melee facetank range for general pve."

>

> So can't she use whatever she wants, since general pve is faceroll anyway? Which is it, gotta use the best weapons, or pve is too easy?

People with that mentality usually come up with builds with 0 synergy and think that they invented hot water. Then months later they realize that their build cant do sh*t so they ask for some helpful advice.

People like OP skip the part of having a fragile ego and just ask about something they aren't sure about. Nothing wrong about that.

Pve can be faceroll, but if it was always the case then these threads wouldn't appear at all. Also some people can be both bad at playing and bad at build craft so no matter how faceroll the content is, they can still manage to fail it. Builds that are relatively tanky, do high damage and aren't particularly hard make everything more smooth and fun. There's a reason why all those websites are popular.

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> Oh, no, I'm sorry. You shouldn't spend 2 gold to try out a build to learn for yourself if it works or not. You should only follow builds exactly that are on snowcrows, metabattle, et al.

Actually that's not the reason your advice is awful at all.

Your advice is awful because you are advising the OP to run a hodgepodge of stats that neuter the build and don't feed it's strengths. Exotic Dire gear is among the cheapest in the game. Bought off the TP a full set of lvl 80 exotic Dire armor can be had for less than 3 gold. There are a number of cheap exotic trinkets with Dire stats on the TP. For less than 10 gold the OP could pretty much kit out their toon in exotic Dire gear and thats without mitigating the cost via use of Karma vendors or Dungeon Tokens or any of the easily obtainable stat-selectable armor sources.

They will not get a sense of what the build can do with your advice.

The build wont come anywhere near it's potential.

Tossing sidewise snark at the truly dedicated fans and players of this game who give of their time and money to create community resources like snowcrows and metabattle will not change this.

Hey everyone,

I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to respond to my outlandish idea.

Suffice it to say, I was not impressed. Granted, I went the cheap route and used the Dire exotics I had already crafted along with some relatively inexpensive TP trinkets in order to keep the cost down. So glad I didn't burn my S3 currencies or the mats on ascended gear. Even though such gear would have had better numbers, it wouldn't be enough of a difference to make it worth playing.

Just to highlight how bad it felt, I even switched over to Weaver for a bit to see how it fared against normal DF mobs (which is where I was testing the Dire Tempest as well) and I don't like Weaver. It's just not something I'm comfortable with.

Oh sure, 24k health and 2700 toughness on an Ele was nice, but it wasn't fun. I think I would rather go back to my full marauders Fire/Air Fresh Air Tempest. Condi-scepter sucked, just as a few of you said it did, but power air scepter/warhorn is nice and I can work with that.

This experiment is henceforth terminated, thank you.

-Jennifer

> @"Opopanax.1803" said:

> I always thought Marshall's gear would make a good stat for a hybrid Ele, since it has good Healing, Power, and Condi damage. Has anyone ever tried a blend of set, say Celestial trinkets and Marshall's Weapon? I've been curious about it.

Cele or cele + anything with defense stats will produce a tanky, low-damage playstyle. Further, any set with healing power as a focus will be low damage due to the way ele healing skills are segregated into water attunement.

It works. You can survive most anything and win, but there are builds which can accomplish the same while dealing far better damage.

> @"Opopanax.1803" said:

> I always thought Marshall's gear would make a good stat for a hybrid Ele, since it has good Healing, Power, and Condi damage. Has anyone ever tried a blend of set, say Celestial trinkets and Marshall's Weapon? I've been curious about it.

It's good for wvw, but kinda sucks in pve. There's not many places where you can utilize those defensive stats since most of the time you dont even need them. Meanwhile, your offense is severely lacking.