PoF areas: Impossible to rest for one second...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't play PoF for this reason. its not i want easy game but when you have any sort of puzzles you need to break out of fight to look around and explore. also the monsters spawn time is insanely high so killing and exploring is not an option.

always on endless killing spree when i enter map until i leave it. you're not allowed to try and solve your puzzles or check your map/achievements, you're not allowed to stand and admire the beautiful maps they done. you're on killing/running mission..

> @maddoctor.2738 said:

> I think those getting hit by enemies that they can't see need a better computer :)

Oh yes. Because 3 branded behind me when my camera is facing east, my character is facing east, but the branded which is many many meters away that's to the west that shoot me just once to take 1/3 of my mount... and they shoot more than one shot within seconds... and because it's usually 2.. 3... or many more of them...

yeah I can't see them because of my computer while I play the game on maximum/ultra settings.

Not because they do way too much damage and can shoot a tick off the face of a dog from a mile away...

...oh and blow the same dog's face off right after... probably add some conditions to the dog before it dies too.

> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > @maddoctor.2738 said:

> > I think those getting hit by enemies that they can't see need a better computer :)

>

> Oh yes. Because 3 branded behind me when my camera is facing east, my character is facing east, but the branded which is many many meters away that's to the west that shoot me just once to take 1/3 of my mount... and they shoot more than one shot within seconds... and because it's usually 2.. 3... or many more of them...

> yeah I can't see them because of my computer while I play the game on maximum/ultra settings.

>

> Not because they do way too much damage and can shoot a tick off the face of a dog from a mile away...

> ...oh and blow the same dog's face off right after... probably add some conditions to the dog before it dies too.

Branded don't shoot from a mile away, nice exaggeration there. Once you master the Jackal all mounts get an evasion window while using their stamina, leaping with the raptor, preparing to jump with the springer, gliding with the skimmer, sand porting with the jackal or flying with the griffon. Makes traversing the desolation and vabbi a real breeze no matter how many mobs are around.

If it's not potato machine then it's spacial awareness, Path of Fire is full of cliffs, canyons, walls and high rocks that block line of sight for mobs. Use them to your advantage so they don't see you. I don't get it how you can't see the mobs attacking you when the terrain is so rugged in Path of Fire, while you have no issues navigating Orr, or any core zone, that is flat without places to hide.

> @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

> > @flog.3485 said:

> > > @Offair.2563 said:

> > > Been roaming around these maps for weeks now and still haven't experienced being in combat for 24/7 and chased down the whole map by mobs. Are you guys using your mounts to your advantage, like jumping over mountains to reach other spots?

> >

> > Not only that. I mean, some complain they can't go afk for some period of time in PoF maps....But how is it possible to justify the time playing a game if you need to to go afk frequently in the fist place?

>

> Because some people are adults with adult lives that sometimes take precedence over a game for minutes at a time. Or they aren't going afk but trying to get a screenshot of something cool. Or an important phone call came in and they have to take it. Not everyone gets to stay glued to their computer at every moment while in game.

So what ? I am well aware of those issues as I am an adult myself. But even them ? I press g and click "join guild hall" and then I can afk at my leisure. Or you know open the WvW panel. Or you know, if I am well aware that I will be bound to go regularly afk, I just don't log in.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

> > > @flog.3485 said:

> > > > @Offair.2563 said:

> > > > Been roaming around these maps for weeks now and still haven't experienced being in combat for 24/7 and chased down the whole map by mobs. Are you guys using your mounts to your advantage, like jumping over mountains to reach other spots?

> > >

> > > Not only that. I mean, some complain they can't go afk for some period of time in PoF maps....But how is it possible to justify the time playing a game if you need to to go afk frequently in the fist place?

> >

> > Because some people are adults with adult lives that sometimes take precedence over a game for minutes at a time. Or they aren't going afk but trying to get a screenshot of something cool. Or an important phone call came in and they have to take it. Not everyone gets to stay glued to their computer at every moment while in game.

>

> If you need to go afk, can't you press 'g' to get to the guild hall? Or just [f12] to return to the character select screen?

Do you like loosing stacks because you needed to take a quick bathroom break? Point here is more that people want the ability to step away for a hot second on a map without getting aggroed so easily on almost every square inch. Sure there are ways to go about this, but it can get annoying for some people.

> @Menadena.7482 said:

> What discouraged me re: this was when I stopped at an encampment with bounty board and mobs would wander in every few seconds. I am not saying the entire map needs to be free of mobs but you expect to not be fighting when you are looking up bounties!

The ogre camp is probably the biggest offender since people can just open the cages and walk away.

On the other hand death in that case has little to no consequence. Maybe 1.something silvers for using the wp.

PoF maps are glorious, rewards are not.. i even got attacked in a *safe* zone selling the amount of rubbish i got from *rewards*.

Globby gloop or rusted pitchforks (16copper??), why should i go out there with some of the strongest mobs in the game and break a sweat..really.

Yup i say rewards because this is what keeps me away from the PoF maps, doing bounty's for weeks, best thing i got was a exotic worth 1,5 gold.

Explored the POF maps 100% on 1 character, not to exited to do it with the rest of my chars .

So back to mining for few hours a day , and log out.

> @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

> > > > @flog.3485 said:

> > > > > @Offair.2563 said:

> > > > > Been roaming around these maps for weeks now and still haven't experienced being in combat for 24/7 and chased down the whole map by mobs. Are you guys using your mounts to your advantage, like jumping over mountains to reach other spots?

> > > >

> > > > Not only that. I mean, some complain they can't go afk for some period of time in PoF maps....But how is it possible to justify the time playing a game if you need to to go afk frequently in the fist place?

> > >

> > > Because some people are adults with adult lives that sometimes take precedence over a game for minutes at a time. Or they aren't going afk but trying to get a screenshot of something cool. Or an important phone call came in and they have to take it. Not everyone gets to stay glued to their computer at every moment while in game.

> >

> > If you need to go afk, can't you press 'g' to get to the guild hall? Or just [f12] to return to the character select screen?

>

> Do you like loosing stacks because you needed to take a quick bathroom break? Point here is more that people want the ability to step away for a hot second on a map without getting aggroed so easily on almost every square inch. Sure there are ways to go about this, but it can get annoying for some people.

There is no map in the game in which you can walk away for a second without getting aggroed. There are foes everywhere, even in the starter zones. What's different is that any veteran knows the safe spots. So if the issue is losing stacks, one still has to get to one of those safe spots. And there are many, many such locations in PoF; they just aren't always where we expect them.

If the issue is urgent, then `F12` or `G` is perfectly quick, unless one thinks that losing stacks is somehow more important than a business call or crying child.

As I said earlier in the thread, I certainly felt the same way about PoF when I first started playing it. It seemed that there were hazards everywhere. But I also remembered that I felt exactly the same way in HoT, and in all the other new maps before them. It just took time to learn what was actually safe and what wasn't. (FYI: up is usually safe; ground not so much.)

I was annoyed about mob density and respawn timers when trying to get through a sand portal in a cavern. I was knocked off my mount before the portal so I killed the mobs near it. Then I had to kill the mobs from further away that came running over. While I waited to get out of combat the first set of mobs respawned. So I killed them then I killed the agro’d further away mobs. Then while I was waiting to get out of combat, the first set respawned so I killed them. After that I managed to get on the sand jackal right before the next spawned mobs reached me.

After the initial rush of getting mounts and doing the first act of the story, I spend almost no time in PoF. It's like the OP said, it's not that I can't take the mobs on, it's that after a while it becomes a tedious chore. For now I'm back in Tyria doing the personal story for my alts. I'll head back into PoF once I forget why I left.

> @TexZero.7910 said:

> So which map are we complaining about so i can make a video of me afk'ing to disprove this ?

Some of the maps and zones are a bit better. Some spots are ok. I've managed to run around the first map on a lv 20 in some spots but it's not efficient and I end up dead very quickly. It's not that there aren't safe spots, it's more that there are a lot of zones and areas of interest that aren't safe or are brutal.

> @Lunarlife.5128 said:

> > @TexZero.7910 said:

> > So which map are we complaining about so i can make a video of me afk'ing to disprove this ?

>

> Some of the maps and zones are a bit better. Some spots are ok. I've managed to run around the first map on a lv 20 in some spots but it's not efficient and I end up dead very quickly. It's not that there aren't safe spots, it's more that there are a lot of zones and areas of interest that aren't safe or are brutal.

Are we playing the same game here ?

Level 80 zone meant for the people kinda you know done with the core game, being slightly harder ? It's almost like the zones are doing their job if a level 20 is having issues, and if a level 80 with mounts is still having a hard time with this then i'm at a loss for words.

I share the same sentiment. Forged everywhere, Awakened everywhere, Harpies that can one-shot your mount. Doesn't help I lose an endurance bar as soon as I dismount in any way, shape, or form (apparently, mounting resets trait add-ons, so as a Daredevil, I lose my third dodge).

I always boggled why people kept saying PoF was more casual friendly. Yeah, I suppose the first two maps were, but after that, it gets annoying. In order to rest and check a guide, I have to stay at a WP at a ranch or something. Even then, at some WPs, you'll have Hydras walk in and attack. It's rare, but it's usually because someone drew its aggro and now it aggros the players at the WP.

Respawn time needs to be toned down, as does aggro range, and mob density. I really want to complete the Funerary Collections, and while I have three out of five areas done, I dread finishing Desolation and Vabbi.

> @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> - The status "in combat" prevents the use of mounts.

> - The status "in combat" prevents map travelling.

> - **The status "in combat" is soooo long and at times remain active for no valid reasons...**

Been complaining about the same things, and find the last one especially annoying.

> So, of course, I can fight every foes on my way, but fact is that after a while, I am simply tired of it...

Yep. You are not alone in this.

I totally agree with TC on not being able to pause and enjoy the scenery for even a few seconds.

Just the other day when I was roaming in the Crystal Oasis desert, I spotted a trade chest next to a building with some npcs around. On my way to it, there were no mobs within my sight. After I dismounted to open the chest, in just a second or two, a mob spawned from nowhere and attacked me -.- That was definitely no challenge but only annoying.

I think it's rather easy finding a spot to rest and travelling around on a mount. Once you stop though, you better be prepared to fight until you manage to clear everything in the area.

...Either that, or just keybind your mount button so that you can mount up instantly in the split second you get out of combat :S

> @Mil.3562 said:

> I totally agree with TC on not being able to pause and enjoy the scenery for even a few seconds.

>

> Just the other day when I was roaming in the Crystal Oasis desert, I spotted a trade chest next to a building with some npcs around. On my way to it, there were no mobs within my sight. After I dismounted to open the chest, in just a second or two, a mob spawned from nowhere and attacked me -.- That was definitely no challenge but only annoying.

Mobs hide in the sand. Once you learn where they do, this becomes the same as "a trade chest next to a building with NPCs and some foes around it."