• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> > @Ashen.2907 said:

> > "Its not worth 2000 gems," to you.

> >

> > So dont buy it.

> >

> > Not a difficult concept. If a luxury item is priced above one's price limit one does not buy it.

>

> Although I can easily afford it without even blinking, this is exactly what I'm doing, not buying it.

>

> No mount skin is worth $25.00 _to me_.

Although I, also, could easily buy it with either real money or gold, it would take something really special for me to be willing to spend 2000 gems on a mount. Based on past experience of ANet's current taste in skins, its not likely to happen.

Lol, I told ppl in the "rng thread" that the problem would not be the rng but the pricing. I told them that Anet absolutely has no problem selling us 2k mounts and bundles. I told them ppl are not upset because of rng, because what they really want is a certain mount for 800 gems instantly.

Well, here we are... We have no more rng and guess what ppl are as unhappy as ever.

Unpopular opinion here, but I am very pleased with this mount skin. I too would agree 2000 gems is a bit expensive even considering I don't shy from spending irl money in video games by any means, but I saw it, thought it was super cute and pretty so I bought it. The previous Reforged Warhound I found to be terribly ugly and I could never see myself spend $25 dollars on anything of the like. The Resplendent Avialan raptor though was too lovely for me to pass up. I don't see myself making a habit out of buying mount skins at this price mind you. I'll give my kudos for this pretty bird (whom I've named Lambert) nontheless. :3

> @MissMajor.8290 said:

> Unpopular opinion here, but I am very pleased with this mount skin. I too would agree 2000 gems is a bit expensive

I don't think your opinion is unpopular or even the minority. I think many people here are saying the skin by itself is not ugly, just too expensive - which is pretty much what you are saying too.

> @LieutenantDan.5216 said:

> Anet,

>

> Please help me understand why mount skins are 2k gems when similar items like outfits are 700 gems. It feels like you are telling us to kitten it :(

Because it seems unlikely, to me at least, that sales of the expac at its reduced price point were sufficient to cover costs, and so mount skins are expected to carry a greater portion of the needed revenue for development (including development of mounts).

People asked for mounts, gave mount skin gemstore sales as justification for the addition, and even pointed out that mounts are some of the most expensive cash shop items in the industry...and now we have mounts as some of the most expensive items in our cash shop.

Just replace your thread with everything "premium" and there you go:

_The (INSERT ITEM) is not worth (AMOUNT)!! They are great but..._

Some examples:

The iPhone X is not worth €1,100!! It's great, but...

That Lamborghini is not worth €400,000! It's great, but...

That High end PC is not worth €2,000! It's great, but...

If it kindles a feel of need and happyness while using it, it's fine.

The problem is that often threads like this create hate towards people using own owning these.

"Oh, look, that whale. He gotta be a smug"...

I have the big need of just wearing real leather clothes. And people come up and yell "WHAT? €400 for a leather coat. It's nice but you could've bought a PU "Leather" one for €30". Yeeeaah, no. Buy it or not.

> @Adenin.5973 said:

> Lol, I told ppl in the "rng thread" that the problem would not be the rng but the pricing. I told them that Anet absolutely has no problem selling us 2k mounts and bundles. I told them ppl are not upset because of rng, because what they really want is a certain mount for 800 gems instantly.

>

> Well, here we are... We have no more rng and guess what ppl are as unhappy as ever.

It can be both.

It IS both.

The problem is BOTH RNG *and* high cost.

They have to fix *both things.*

> @Zedek.8932 said:

> Just replace your thread with everything "premium" and there you go:

>

> _The (INSERT ITEM) is not worth (AMOUNT)!! They are great but..._

>

> Some examples:

> The iPhone X is not worth €1,100!! It's great, but...

> That Lamborghini is not worth €400,000! It's great, but...

> That High end PC is not worth €2,000! It's great, but...

>

> If it kindles a feel of need and happyness while using it, it's fine.

> The problem is that often threads like this create hate towards people using own owning these.

> "Oh, look, that whale. He gotta be a smug"...

>

> I have the big need of just wearing real leather clothes. And people come up and yell "WHAT? €400 for a leather coat. It's nice but you could've bought a PU "Leather" one for €30". Yeeeaah, no. Buy it or not.

>

>

>

They gotta have that equality of outcomes, my guy.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> To me, I think it should be perfectly reasonable to look at these skins and desiring them but not wanting to spend the gold/gems/cash for them or if you REALLY want to get the skin because you adore it, you can farm/save for it. Whales will just buy them all while normies will not buy them or only buy a very specific skin.

>

> Again, to me, how is it any different from a player who has the skill/time to farm up legendary backpieces and those backpieces being out of reach for someone who cannot invest that type of time/effort to get the same prestige skin?

The difference is that you can work very slowly towards the legendary items. This skin is "limited time only" and if that is the same time frame as the Reforged Warhound then people who don't have the resources *this week* can't get it. (Maybe next week. Could last two weeks. Won't be here a solid year, though).

If I still had the disposable income I did before I retired, I'd probably buy these bigger ticket items. As it is, I passed on the Warhound and much as I like peacocks, I'm probably passing on this one too. The tail blocking the view is a problem for me, for one thing. Mostly, though, once something is over 800 gems (ie 10 bucks, which is still in my whim range) I give myself enough time to think about it to determine that I will be really deeply unhappy to have missed it. And once I have that amount of thinking, I realize that almost no gem skins will really bother me not to have, given the wide variety I've already collected.

Sorry, ANet. It's a pretty nifty skin once dyed, and I'm sure it has interesting animations though Dulfy's video didn't seem to showcase those, but you priced it too high.

> @Ohoni.6057 said:

> > @Adenin.5973 said:

> > Lol, I told ppl in the "rng thread" that the problem would not be the rng but the pricing. I told them that Anet absolutely has no problem selling us 2k mounts and bundles. I told them ppl are not upset because of rng, because what they really want is a certain mount for 800 gems instantly.

> >

> > Well, here we are... We have no more rng and guess what ppl are as unhappy as ever.

>

> It can be both.

>

> It IS both.

>

> The problem is BOTH RNG *and* high cost.

>

> They have to fix *both things.*

High cost is opinion. I make $20 in 25 minutes at work.

> @Donari.5237 said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > To me, I think it should be perfectly reasonable to look at these skins and desiring them but not wanting to spend the gold/gems/cash for them or if you REALLY want to get the skin because you adore it, you can farm/save for it. Whales will just buy them all while normies will not buy them or only buy a very specific skin.

> >

> > Again, to me, how is it any different from a player who has the skill/time to farm up legendary backpieces and those backpieces being out of reach for someone who cannot invest that type of time/effort to get the same prestige skin?

>

> The difference is that you can work very slowly towards the legendary items. This skin is "limited time only" and if that is the same time frame as the Reforged Warhound then people who don't have the resources *this week* can't get it. (Maybe next week. Could last two weeks. Won't be here a solid year, though).

>

> If I still had the disposable income I did before I retired, I'd probably buy these bigger ticket items. As it is, I passed on the Warhound and much as I like peacocks, I'm probably passing on this one too. The tail blocking the view is a problem for me, for one thing. Mostly, though, once something is over 800 gems (ie 10 bucks, which is still in my whim range) I give myself enough time to think about it to determine that I will be really deeply unhappy to have missed it. And once I have that amount of thinking, I realize that almost no gem skins will really bother me not to have, given the wide variety I've already collected.

>

> Sorry, ANet. It's a pretty nifty skin once dyed, and I'm sure it has interesting animations though Dulfy's video didn't seem to showcase those, but you priced it too high.

You could work toward this item gradually over time as well. Building up a reserve of resources for that inevitable moment of, "I really like that!" is the best approach to getting anything in game IMO.

> @Healix.5819 said:

> As a general rule, if the mount isn't a simple retexture or modification, it's going to cost 2000 gems. They didn't randomly choose that number, it's simply the standard price for mounts in the major MMOs.

You're not wrong... The issue is that ALL those games (WoW, FFXIV, etc) have more mounts as **ingame rewards** than in the cosmetic store. The day Arena Net starts doing that, then people won't complain, because there's alternatives.

And that's not the only issue, in WOW's store a pet is 10USD, a single cosmetic crown item costs 15USD. So there's already a difference in how things are valued. You can't have Outfits at 800 Gems, Gliders at 700, and 5 mount packs at 2000, and then tell us that a single mount skin is worth 2000 gems. There's a huge disparity in there.

So yeah, i'm voting with my wallet, and i can tell a lot of people are as well. Looking just at the ammount of people i've seen with Forged Warhound compared to all other mounts, i doubt they are getting even close to the sales figures of the ugliest gliders in the game.

> @DarcShriek.5829 said:

> > @Ohoni.6057 said:

> > > @Adenin.5973 said:

> > > Lol, I told ppl in the "rng thread" that the problem would not be the rng but the pricing. I told them that Anet absolutely has no problem selling us 2k mounts and bundles. I told them ppl are not upset because of rng, because what they really want is a certain mount for 800 gems instantly.

> > >

> > > Well, here we are... We have no more rng and guess what ppl are as unhappy as ever.

> >

> > It can be both.

> >

> > It IS both.

> >

> > The problem is BOTH RNG *and* high cost.

> >

> > They have to fix *both things.*

>

> High cost is opinion. I make $20 in 25 minutes at work.

Good for you. There are other players who do not.

Seeing the raptor in-game (when I _finally_ found some, they're like buses, none for ages then 3 in LA all together) has actually made me more tempted to get it.

But I'm still not sure I can justify spending so much on it. No it's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but there's a lot of other things I want to buy with both my real money and my gold. (Weekend tickets to a music festival, plus 3 other concerts 2 of which are abroad, plus Christmas gifts for about 30 people and a Nintendo Switch amongst other things with the cash and the rest of the griffon collection, a commander tag and a lot of mini pets with the gold.) If it was sticking around I'd probably calculate how much cash I can spend on it, save up gold for the remainder and buy it. But I doubt I'll have time to do that.

Don't buy it, same as don't buy the rng mount license.

I really like the Stardust Jackal skin for example, but as others have said I don't want to waste gems contributing to Anet seeing as few successful sales as possible.

Ideally these things should be no more than 800 gems each - from a customer point of view (I have no idea the workload and time required to create a new mount skin so can't measure the cost up that way).

> @Ohoni.6057 said:

> Good for you. There are other players who do not.

IMO, that's not even the point. If you were to ask Bill Gates if he would buy a common bread for 1.000 USD per unit he would say no, because that's too expensive, despite how he makes far more money than anyone in this forum. How much someone earns per month doesn't change how valuable something is; we don't define price based on a percentage of our income.

I think ArenaNet knows the 2000 gems mount skins are too expensive from the point of view of a lot of people, but I also think they don't need a lot of people to buy those - a few would be enough to give them a profit. Complaining about them is thus better than just "voting with our wallet".

Fact, 2000 gems is overpriced. Some of the adoption license mounts are better than the reforged and the new raptor. The way I see it, from each ppl willing to spend 2000gems in a mount there must be, at least, 3 ppl willing to spend 700 gems, so Arena net is potencially losing 100 gems. But I still believe that 400 gems is a good and fair price (same as gliders w/o backpiece skin), because we have 5 mounts and players that normally bought gliders will spend 5 times more with mounts.