Did you play the original Guild Wars?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined gw1 in May 2005.

I still have that game installed and on occasion log in to rake in the birthday gifts on my many many alts (20+ toons)

I joined gw2 with its first beta, the one you had to get lucky for to get picked.

I'm now at 20+ alts there too.

My biggest achievement in my opinion is starting the lockpick debate for luck/unlucky points in gw1. Which eventually got implemented in the game. (squee)

I've helped run varius guilds in both games over the years and am currently guild leader of a charr warband rp guild.

I don't think i'll stop playing gw2 untill gw3 or death. which ever comes first.

I'm mostly a "one game at a time" kinda guy. After playing Wizardry 8 for years with nothing similar being released, I checked out Guild Wars about a month after its release, and was hooked. Played it until GW2 launched, and still here. I take some breaks now and then, but with GW that's okay.

> @Aeolus.3615 said:

> 2004-2012, and still log once in a while.

>

> @Noa.7490, didnt Gaile swaped the line of her convo with the frog in LA or something ._. , there are things that are not ment to forget.

Aye. I've tried to hunt down a screenshot in my archive but haven't been successful so far. But Gaile has always denied a connection between her and the green guy.

Not quite an accurate option but best of the four for me.

I never played it before GW2, despite a friend trying fairly hard to convince me. That same friend got me looking at GW2's alpha and beta info and I was hooked. Some time after GW2 launch I decided it was worth going for the HoM points, at least the first few, and got some GW1 play in with the aid of guildies who knew the game well. But since they knew it well, they just rushed past everything so my experience was pretty much chase desperately after them and mash buttons to drop damage on enemies and stand where I was told to stand and do what I was told to do in the HoM. I've gained some ideas of original story through osmosis and guild chatter, I've seen the landscapes and mechanics of the game (enough to wonder why everyone from there seems to think original LA was so good when best I could tell it was a green hilly area with a couple of merchant stalls and a fountain).

Then my friend primarily leading me to HoM points had a baby and she became otherwise occupied, so I continue to sit at 4 HoM points until such time as I have time and my friends have time to lead me through a story arc so I can dedicate a mini.

So I knew it wasn't a game for me before I ever tried it (I don't theorycraft well or figure out builds, and I like a lot of inventory space and proper 3D movement), but dabbled in it a bit when I had the opportunity post GW2 launch.

I was in GW 1 since first month of release, before that I was big on blizzard with Diablo 2 - and the warcraft / starcraft saga - after they deleted my 99 Amazon on Diablo 2 ( I was moving and didn't have access to internet to refresh my account ) I basically swore off anything blizzard and haven't touched their games since. That's when I heard about GW1 and have been here since.

• ArenaNet Staff

Oh, I think I remember that. It was a muddle of whispered and public conversations, and nothing more. We did get people wondering, didn't we? :)

> @Noa.7490 said:

> > @Aeolus.3615 said:

> > 2004-2012, and still log once in a while.

> >

> > @Noa.7490, didnt Gaile swaped the line of her convo with the frog in LA or something ._. , there are things that are not ment to forget.

>

> Aye. I've tried to hunt down a screenshot in my archive but haven't been successful so far. But Gaile has always denied a connection between her and the green guy.

• ArenaNet Staff

I may or may not have cried when that happened to me. When I first met Mike O'Brien (in 2000) I had a few questions while I considered joining ArenaNet. One of my questions touched on this very subject. It was about the longevity and safety of our characters. Having lost my beloved characters in... another game... I wanted to be sure there were protections against that in any new game to which I gave my heart. When Mo assured me that they did not intend to do periodic "character wipes" I was much relieved!

> @Ricky.4706 said:

> I was in GW 1 since first month of release, before that I was big on blizzard with Diablo 2 - and the warcraft / starcraft saga - after they deleted my 99 Amazon on Diablo 2 ( I was moving and didn't have access to internet to refresh my account ) I basically swore off anything blizzard and haven't touched their games since. That's when I heard about GW1 and have been here since.

>

> Image

I started playing GW in August 2005 (after ~4 years of Tribes 2, another great game!). It took me a while, but once I got the hang of it I was hooked!

Best GW memory? While there are many, the best would have to be the night my guildies and I *finally* completed a /age 14 post-Dhuum Underworld speed-run :) Soo many nights of theorycrafting and practice went into that, so it was quite the feeling to finally get it done.

EDIT: Can someone tell me how to post an image? Lol for some reason I can only post a link.

I liked the game (and those nicely made retail boxes), and bought everything. Unfortunately I'm a bit shy and insecure so I never dared to join a group of players. And the lots of spell/skills available, which was awesome but made it I couldn't decide my build. So my poll answer was that it wasn't for me, although it did at the same time.

GW2 doesn't need a group in open world, yet we play, help and get rewarded as a group. That made the difference for me. If GW1 had this advanced system I probably barely played WoW :)

These days I'd rather put the money I lose on WoW sub into GW2 goodies, even though I never played a dungeon/fracal/raid, and did plenty of dungeons in WoW. GW2 is growing, expanding and I hope this will go on for years. Here I feel at home.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> Oh, I think I remember that. It was a muddle of whispered and public conversations, and nothing more. We did get people wondering, didn't we? :)

>

> > @Noa.7490 said:

> > > @Aeolus.3615 said:

> > > 2004-2012, and still log once in a while.

> > >

> > > @Noa.7490, didnt Gaile swaped the line of her convo with the frog in LA or something ._. , there are things that are not ment to forget.

> >

> > Aye. I've tried to hunt down a screenshot in my archive but haven't been successful so far. But Gaile has always denied a connection between her and the green guy.

>

>

We did. The comments in chat were hilarious.

I have played it a lot and keeps playing it nowadays, with the same group of friends we were from the beginning who also keep going at it with me now. I don't think we will ever stop. There are too many things we love from GW1 that are not available in GW2:

- Heroes

- Henchies

- Guild Hall for everybody

- Assassin and Ritualist professions

- Build template

- Menagerie

- Capes

- Runs like the Droknar one

- Fissure of Woe, Domain of Anguish and the Underworld.

- And so no, and so on.................

I have and still do play it. I remember the first time I saw "gwamm" on another person was like a week after I started playing. I thought "That's the first title I've seen that I actually like". I finished the stories, cleared the Canthan titles and then gw2 came out. I still haven't finished it yet, but I've cleared the Elonian titles and am only 4 titles away from it. I'll finally fulfill 17-year-old me's dream of having that title xD

I tried really hard to get into GW1 but I couldn't. It was too instanced for my liking and maybe I'm just bad at that game but the missions were just too hard for me and my characters felt weak and meaningless because I needed NPCs for literally everything. On the other hand, I've been playing GW2 for 5 years (and counting). :) It's much better than GW1 and I'm so grateful for the amazing open world content!

If only GW2 didn't take soo much effort to point to us that _everything is our fault_ (well, either ours, or Kormir's)

Seriously, when devs tried to make it so the fight with the Great Destroyer was the cause of awakening Primordius, the backlash was so big they had to change it into something opposite. The idea didn't seem to be lost however, just transferred to the fight with _Abaddon_ apparently.

(also, Joko. So much Joko... while i do like him as a character, and he makes a good villain, he's one of the better examples of how much our GW1 character kittened it all up)