How to Counter-Siege Shield Generators.

Svarty.8019

* Shield Generators can shield each other and themselves,

* There is no existing siege that can penetrate a bubble,

* Siege Disablers thus get bubbled, too.

* If the above are true, how can Shield Generators be counter-sieged?

Discuss - please bear in mind that **specific circumstances** are different from the **general case**, which is what we are examining in this thread.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> I do not get on shield gens. However, given it impacts 'projectiles' I would suggest ACs and direct attack. Of course, direct attack is likely suicide in out numbered situations.

Ac projectiles will get blocked.If there isnt a blob of the same size on the map there really isnt much you can do against it besides suiciding in over and over.

I normally see a thief or mesmer stealth in and disable shield gen.

But if you want to counter it with siege. Bali is still a best chance. However, I remember still getting area damage from cat/treb/cannon that hit outside barrier. So you have to aim it to the edge area of the barrier to do area damage to sieges inside the barrier.

> @Caedmon.6798 said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > I do not get on shield gens. However, given it impacts 'projectiles' I would suggest ACs and direct attack. Of course, direct attack is likely suicide in out numbered situations.

>

> Ac projectiles will get blocked.If there isnt a blob of the same size on the map there really isnt much you can do against it besides suiciding in over and over.

It's interesting though: Anet doesn't call the AC arrows projectiles. It should penetrate.

> > @Caedmon.6798 said:

> > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > I do not get on shield gens. However, given it impacts 'projectiles' I would suggest ACs and direct attack. Of course, direct attack is likely suicide in out numbered situations.

> >

> > Ac projectiles will get blocked.If there isnt a blob of the same size on the map there really isnt much you can do against it besides suiciding in over and over.

>

> It's interesting though: Anet doesn't call the AC arrows projectiles. It should penetrate.

Arrow carts are specifically blocked by shield generators. They're not projectiles, but it is intentional.

> @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > > @Caedmon.6798 said:

> > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > I do not get on shield gens. However, given it impacts 'projectiles' I would suggest ACs and direct attack. Of course, direct attack is likely suicide in out numbered situations.

> > >

> > > Ac projectiles will get blocked.If there isnt a blob of the same size on the map there really isnt much you can do against it besides suiciding in over and over.

> >

> > It's interesting though: Anet doesn't call the AC arrows projectiles. It should penetrate.

>

> Arrow carts are specifically blocked by shield generators. They're not projectiles, but it is intentional.

Good to know.

> @Caedmon.6798 said:

> > I do not get on shield gens. However, given it impacts 'projectiles' I would suggest ACs and direct attack. Of course, direct attack is likely suicide in out numbered situations.

>

> Ac projectiles will get blocked.If there isnt a blob of the same size on the map there really isnt much you can do against it besides suiciding in over and over.

> @Jirayu.5834 said:

> I normally see a thief or mesmer stealth in and disable shield gen.

>

> But if you want to counter it with siege. Bali is still a best chance. However, I remember still getting area damage from cat/treb/cannon that hit outside barrier. So you have to aim it to the edge area of the barrier to do area damage to sieges inside the barrier.

Most of the time they will coordinate the gens to be up 100% of the time,there is no way to get in between the blocks to even throw a disabler.Cannon might do the trick but 9 out of ten times those are destroyed before you even use them.

> @Swamurabi.7890 said:

> If the shield generators are protecting rams or catas, they aren't protecting themselves.

> If the shield generators are protecting themselves, they aren't protecting rams or catas.

They can shield themselves pretty easily,which is the biggest issue hence you cant disable or try to counter it since the bubbles will shield the users and the gens aswell.

Yank the guy off the shield generator.

Thief is good because you can appear from anywhere, but I prefer scrapper since it can stealth long enough to toss a disable, or failing that use CC to get them off it, and use rocket boots twice to get away.

Also, most people I see try to jump on the edge of a wall and toss a disabler. That gives a lot of warning and everyone can just blow you up. If you want to disable from the wall, keep moving. Don't just stand there while you take the disabler out. Also someone else might be trying to throw a disabler, so give them protection and cleanses. Don't just stand there!

> > @Sovereign.1093 said:

> > portal and kamikaze.

>

> Stealth up two plaguelands condi necros and send them to their death?

> > portal and kamikaze.

>

> Stealth up two plaguelands condi necros and send them to their death?

portal allows 20 =)

I wonder if a level 2-3 tactic that blocks enemy siege shields within the territory would be an okay solution?

It doesn't stop enemies from using siege but it reverts the strategies they can use back to the pre-shield generator era for a bit. Could be quite useful if an enemy is using a tonne of shield gens.

> > > @Sovereign.1093 said:

> > > portal and kamikaze.

> >

> > Stealth up two plaguelands condi necros and send them to their death?

>

> portal allows 20 =)

Agreed! However, portals get bombed and the delay might cost too many people. But yeah, I've suicided that many times. Kinda fun actually. I even imagine what the other guys are saying in their TS: and them laughing as they are bombing it. =)

> @ArchonWing.9480 said:

> Yank the guy off the shield generator.

As long as you dont get confused and wank the guy off the shield generator.

Usually, offensive shield gens are there to draw people out and defensive shield gens is there to delay the enemy so reinforcements can arrive.

Either use has a simple counter - the two commanders get into a dance off and the winner get the keep.

What, you expected combat?

>

> > > > @Sovereign.1093 said:

> > > > portal and kamikaze.

> > >

> > > Stealth up two plaguelands condi necros and send them to their death?

> >

> > portal allows 20 =)

>

> Agreed! However, portals get bombed and the delay might cost too many people. But yeah, I've suicided that many times. Kinda fun actually. I even imagine what the other guys are saying in their TS: and them laughing as they are bombing it. =)

=) 2 portals. can always distract them x mas invis. baiting

> @Sovereign.1093 said:

> >

> > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > > @Sovereign.1093 said:

> > > > > portal and kamikaze.

> > > >

> > > > Stealth up two plaguelands condi necros and send them to their death?

> > >

> > > portal allows 20 =)

> >

> > Agreed! However, portals get bombed and the delay might cost too many people. But yeah, I've suicided that many times. Kinda fun actually. I even imagine what the other guys are saying in their TS: and them laughing as they are bombing it. =)

>

> =) 2 portals. can always distract them x mas invis. baiting

:o Nice..... I need to visit you...

> > >

> > > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > > > @Sovereign.1093 said:

> > > > > > portal and kamikaze.

> > > > >

> > > > > Stealth up two plaguelands condi necros and send them to their death?

> > > >

> > > > portal allows 20 =)

> > >

> > > Agreed! However, portals get bombed and the delay might cost too many people. But yeah, I've suicided that many times. Kinda fun actually. I even imagine what the other guys are saying in their TS: and them laughing as they are bombing it. =)

> >

> > =) 2 portals. can always distract them x mas invis. baiting

>

> :o Nice..... I need to visit you...

the only time shield gens are a pain if the group using it has a good fight blob. xd

* They can't shield unblockable projectiles.

* Good timing with a siege disabler may hit them if the enemy leaves a window between bubbles, good aiming may hit the ground and trigger an AoE that can hit it from outside the bubble.

* As a conditions necromacer to spectral walk there and drop a Plaguelands. Even if that doesn't destroy the shield generator, it'll force the player manning it to leave.

* Force dome only blocks projectiles, siege projectiles and arrow carts. So you can still use other attacks.

The best counter to shield generators is to call in a bigger blob to take them out. If that isn't possible the next best option is to build more shield generators than they have and stall (leads to long and boring shield bubble wars). Anything else requires far more coordination than is required to build shield generators in the first place and is often too late to be useful.