favorite race to play

czerwoni.9563

> @czerwoni.9563 said:

> > @crashburntoo.7431 said:

> > Other = Norn... :smiley:

>

> omg i forgot norn and i have like 2

Oopsie daisy. ;)

I like all the races, I only wish one would still _feel_ when one is playing a non-human race. I hope there will be different dialogue options and different PC behavior in PoF depending on your character's race. <3

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Ashantara.8731 said:

> > @czerwoni.9563 said:

> > > @crashburntoo.7431 said:

> > > Other = Norn... :smiley:

> >

> > omg i forgot norn and i have like 2

>

> Oopsie daisy. ;)

>

> I like all the races, I only wish one would still _feel_ when one is playing a non-human race. I hope there will be different dialogue options and different PC behavior in PoF depending on your character's race. <3

Just like playing the kajitt in skyrim lol or a blood elf it's great

Sylvari. There's just so many color combinations, I can't stop making them! And watching them glow at night~ I'm up to three of the other races and seven of sylvari, with another sitting around in my head. I wouldn't be surprised if I had a sylvari for each profession.

And Asura. I wasn't too fond of them in the beginning, but after spending more time around Asura NPCs and playing with my own, I adore them. Maybe more than sylvari. I love watching their ears flop when they run, that little waddle when they walk, and when they open their mouths to talk and all you see are those rows of shark-like teeth. And so many great quotes. They're fun to listen to. I can't seem to get enough of them now.

Cabbage master race!

Love the sheer range of customisation. No other race allows you to so completely change the style and type of character you have - from a blacked gnarled tree to a mushroom headed fungus to a beautiful and bright rose of a character.

The voice actors for both male and female also did amazing jobs. The voices really suit the race, and I never get tired or annoyed by the character quotes like I do with some other races (I CAN OUTRUN A CENTAUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

On a related note I love that the charr and asuran females look so much like the males and don't have breasts.

It's a pet hate of mine when a 'beast' race has males that look like, well, beasts and females who look like humans with a slightly different skin colour and a few token differences like cute little horns or long fingernails that kind-of-sort-of pass for claws. I especially hate when a non-human race has breasts for no logical reason (looking at you Argonians).

Of course sexual dimorphism is perfectly realistic, it just bugs me when the intent is obviously that the males must look like cool aggressive monsters for all the boys to play, and the females must look like cute, attractive humans for all the boys to play.

(Heh, only two kitten edits, and not on the words I expected. Maybe the filter is getting better.)

> @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> All except the Norn, that race has been watered down so much they're normal, plussized, humans

I fondly remember when Norn were first introduced in EotN. Ogden wanted an army against the destroyers, but the Norn's culture doesn't know such a thing as an army. They don't even have any real leaders. In the end he got a hunting-group of 3 or 4 Norn.

I think it's kinda sad, that the Norn mentality got dumped in GW2 in favor of quicker and easier story telling. Why was Knut able to represent all Norn at the summit? Why are there so many Norn enlisted as regular soldiers in the pact? Where are the random hunting-groups traveling through dangerous areas and searching for the ultimate prey? Where is any interaction with the spirits of the wild that are supposed to be everywhere? The bear, raven, etc are supposed to be the biggest / main spirits, but supposedly there are many more local spirits to be found. What happened to the transformation that was the pride of every Norn in GW1?

> @BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

> > @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> > All except the Norn, that race has been watered down so much they're normal, plussized, humans

>

> I fondly remember when Norn were first introduced in EotN. Ogden wanted an army against the destroyers, but the Norn's culture doesn't know such a thing as an army. They don't even have any real leaders. In the end he got a hunting-group of 3 or 4 Norn.

>

> I think it's kinda sad, that the Norn mentality got dumped in GW2 in favor of quicker and easier story telling. Why was Knut able to represent all Norn at the summit? Why are there so many Norn enlisted as regular soldiers in the pact? Where are the random hunting-groups traveling through dangerous areas and searching for the ultimate prey? Where is any interaction with the spirits of the wild that are supposed to be everywhere? The bear, raven, etc are supposed to be the biggest / main spirits, but supposedly there are many more local spirits to be found. What happened to the transformation that was the pride of every Norn in GW1?

I do like the norn cultural city in gw2

played a norn warrior for a long time, but switched to human guard, and i don't regret it.

I love their heroic and graceful movement, and now everytime i switch to my norn it feels soooo clumsy *urgh*

I also tried every other race but

sylvari -> i couldn't find a look i'd like

asura -> too playful imo (but i do understand that a lot of people like exactly that about the asura)

charr -> kinda like them, but only on heavy armor classes. i created a charr rev (since i already have warrior and guard) but didn't really get a chance to play him yet

> > @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> > All except the Norn, that race has been watered down so much they're normal, plussized, humans

>

> I fondly remember when Norn were first introduced in EotN. Ogden wanted an army against the destroyers, but the Norn's culture doesn't know such a thing as an army. They don't even have any real leaders. In the end he got a hunting-group of 3 or 4 Norn.

>

> I think it's kinda sad, that the Norn mentality got dumped in GW2 in favor of quicker and easier story telling. Why was Knut able to represent all Norn at the summit? Why are there so many Norn enlisted as regular soldiers in the pact? Where are the random hunting-groups traveling through dangerous areas and searching for the ultimate prey? Where is any interaction with the spirits of the wild that are supposed to be everywhere? The bear, raven, etc are supposed to be the biggest / main spirits, but supposedly there are many more local spirits to be found. What happened to the transformation that was the pride of every Norn in GW1?

This, so much.

Norn > Human > Asura > Sylvari > Charr

Norn since I like the whole Norse/Celtic thing going on with them. Human comes second and that comes from nostalgia with playing GW1 for so long. Asura and Sylvari are fun but not the favourites. Charr? My only issue with them is their movement. I know we're moving at the same speed as every other race but it still feels so ungodly slow to me. If it weren't for that, they would be #3.

> @Zaltys.7649 said:

> Asura, definitely.

> My opinion of them went from 'these look ridiculous, gonna roll one for laughs and then delete' to 'these animations are amazing, this is my main now'.

Best animation: /laugh :lol:

> @czerwoni.9563 said:

> > @Lancaeron.1524 said:

> > I chose "Other", because you omitted Norn, which are by far my favorite race to play!!!

>

> I forgot about them cause I was in a hurry lol

Feels kinda like Anet forgot them too.

:confused:

> @Ashen.2907 said:

> Very little was done to really establish the Norn in GW2 as anything other than tall humans.

>

> I like the concept of the Sylvari, but the visual implementation of males of the race not so much.

>

> Char are the enemy.

>

> Asura are rodents.

>

> Leaves me with humans.

:-1:

We'd leave then humans alone, but then the'd get rolled by centaurs. Or bandits. Or

**The rogue GOD OF WAR currently murdering innocent people.**

And good luck reaching ol' Balth way down in the desert *without Asura gates that humans couldn't invent.*

I'll take my warriors and geniuses over milksops that just happen to look like me by coincidence.

> > @Ayakaru.6583 said:

>

>

Yeah. It's kind of like the Great Hunt was supposed to be this BIG personal achievement. Norn literally walk up a hill and kill a wurm in its pen. Like shooting a fish in a barrel. I think that is part of why I really just don't like what Anet did with them. That, and really tall toons make for jumping puzzle headaches.

While I like the other races thematically, I can't help but feel that most of the weapons and armour were initially designed with a human frame in mind. It always bugs me that most of the clothing doesn't have a proper hole for the Charr tails or just looks weird on a Norn or Asura. As a result I tend to just lean towards human, it's also what I played in GW1 (because there was no choice) so it's kinda stuck. The only draw to other races for me is the sheer size of Charr and Norn for showing off your shiny gear.