Have they discussed Path of Fire difficulty?

fourhim.3584

I'm a casual player who found HOT to be HARD when it came out. Some of the story quests seemed to hard for certain classes too (in my humble, unskilled opinion). A lot of enemies seemed too close together as well.

I get killed a lot less in HOT now and am better at avoiding fights.

My fear, however, is that they might want to "take it up a notch" for POF. If this means that they intend POF to be even harder than HOT was/is, then I'm personally not going to buy it (haven't yet). If its on the same level, then I suppose I will get used to it eventually - but NOT "even harder".

Has ANET discussed the difficulty level of POF yet? Thanks.

P.S. I'm just a casual player who's not very good at these types of games asking a question. My son also plays and to this day still hates HOT because it is too hard for him. Please be kind :)

The enemies didn't seem all that close together considering that some people have managed to do HoT map completion solo (minus HP's) with low level characters that easily aggro everything.

Based on the beta, it feels about the same. That could have changed between then and now though. They could make it slightly harder but I don't see them making it a large difference considering they really haven't been gradually scaling up the difficulty like they did with LS2.

I'm with Ashen. Played a few hours of the beta and it didn't feel terribly difficult. There were some bounties that were over the top difficult (that jackal beast, probably a bug), but for the most part overall difficulty was on-par with mobs and such from the LS3 episodes. I can't say if the rest of the expansion will be like that, but so far I get the impression this expansion will be a bit more chill and laid back compared to HoT, which I'm cool with.

Based on the beta, the one story instance did not seem particularly hard while geared with the Exotic Marauder stuff my beta character had. Then again, I was on a Ranger, which is easier to solo with than some other professions. The mobs in the partial zone seemed less concentrated than a lot of areas in HoT, but of course we only saw a part of one map.

Fwiw, the trend leading into HoT was a gradual progression of difficulty, starting with Living World Season 1 armies (Molten Alliance, Aetherblades, Toxic Alliance and Clockwork were all harder than the core armies) and progressing to the Modrem in Dry Top and Silverwastes. If anything, HoT was a step up from DT and SW. However, the Living Season 3 maps were -- to me, at least, either a plateau or even a step down (in places) from the HoT maps. Based on that, it's my guess that ANet thinks they've found a sweet spot with regard to difficulty. Of course, I could be wrong. We'll see soon enough.

Hugh Norfolk said this:

For Branded, we already have them in Tyria but those in Path of Fire are a bit more upgraded.. We took them up to 11 on the scale and made them more crystals and explosions.

Judging by the demo, the Forged Army (Balthazar's) has easier enemies, unless we've only seen the easy ones in the demo and there are more surprises later.

Maybe the Awakened will be the "medium" difficulty and the Branded the hard ones? So there are different armies in difficulty?

We'll know tomorrow for sure

> @maddoctor.2738 said:

> Hugh Norfolk said this:

>

> For Branded, we already have them in Tyria but those in Path of Fire are a bit more upgraded.. We took them up to 11 on the scale and made them more crystals and explosions.

>

> Judging by the demo, the Forged Army (Balthazar's) has easier enemies, unless we've only seen the easy ones in the demo and there are more surprises later.

> Maybe the Awakened will be the "medium" difficulty and the Branded the hard ones? So there are different armies in difficulty?

> We'll know tomorrow for sure

I wouldn't call those fire hydras easier! They put up a pretty good fight!

> @fourhim.3584 said:

> I'm a casual player who found HOT to be HARD when it came out. Some of the story quests seemed to hard for certain classes too (in my humble, unskilled opinion). A lot of enemies seemed too close together as well.

> I get killed a lot less in HOT now and am better at avoiding fights.

Yeah, I feel same about HoT. And why I stopped playing the game for some time. I hated the maps, the enemies, and, huh, most of it.

However, if you have done Living Story Season 3, they have not increased difficulty anymore. Maps in LS3 are actually usable, there is less enemies, most of events are soloable etc. The preview area of PoF felt very similar to LS3, and I did not get the horrible feeling of returning to horrors of HoT in there. We do not know what other areas of PoF feature or if the difficulty will change but it looks promising so far.

I felt the same about HoT. It is definately easier now but I am still very glad that we get Mounts so running past all those crippling mobs will be easier. I know you can adjust your build to it, get some speed, dodge and cleanse those cripples but traversing HoT on foot still feels like a chore sometimes.

• 3 months later...

I agree with OP. I played to level cap and have some ascended gear (rings) in GW2. I recently wanted to try HoT and PoF and as an elementalist I die nonstop... the difficulty is way to high. It just isnt fun at all. Quests that have you kill something (not a lot of those, mainly run here talk to someone, run here talk again) I die several times in 2-4 hits. I will probably go back to Wow. I wish I could get a refund on the purchase of the expansions. I used to think it was a good game and it probably is if you are overgeared, but as a standard geared (Exotic) returning player, its horrible and not fun at all.

> @"xdvsmindx.6749" said:

> I agree with OP. I played to level cap and have some ascended gear (rings) in GW2. I recently wanted to try HoT and PoF and as an elementalist I die nonstop... the difficulty is way to high. It just isnt fun at all. Quests that have you kill something (not a lot of those, mainly run here talk to someone, run here talk again) I die several times in 2-4 hits. I will probably go back to Wow. I wish I could get a refund on the purchase of the expansions. I used to think it was a good game and it probably is if you are overgeared, but as a standard geared (Exotic) returning player, its horrible and not fun at all.

Level up a Necro. They're much hardier and easier to play.

I run in exotics only and it's really not that bad.

Elementalist is easily one of the hardest to play.

Also don't play in zerk gear.