Why cant we send Tomes of Knowledge to others?

> @"Microundeas.4530" said:

> > @"Takoyakii.2146" said:

> > Just use it for a key farm.

>

> what key farm?

I shall assume a sincere rather than sarcastic tone. Key farming means leveling a character to at least 10 and running it through the Personal Story for that level in order to get a Black Lion key. You can do this once a week, it resets on Mondays. The fastest way is to do human commoner; many do it on a warrior and have level 10 Might gear in the bank to wear for the purpose. Finish the run, strip the character, use the key or drop it in the bank/shared slots for another character, delete the character.

You used to be able to do this as often as you liked but ANet didn't like people able to generate so many keys without paying gems so they time gated it.

I suspect there's 2 reasons they aren't tradable:

1) Because (aside from the boost in the store) Anet still wants XP to be earned in some way. Login rewards may stretch the definition of earning them, but at a maximum of 16 a month it'd take 5 months to level to 80 just using those. Getting more means playing WvW or PvP and getting XP in other ways means playing PvE.

2) It would devalue the Level 80 Boost. I do think there would be a market for buying Tomes of Knowledge, as explained below, so they wouldn't be totally worthless. But I'd be very surprised if buying 80 of them cost anything like the price of a level 80 boost (554 gold at the current exchange rate) so the only selling point for the boost would be the items it gives you. (And you could probably buy most of that for less than the cost of the boost - the Celebratory Dye Pack might make the difference though - some of those dyes are pretty expensive.)

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> Who would you send them to?

> Every individual gets more tomes than they can use in a year.

Actually there's quite a few people who say they always need more Tomes than they have. Usually it's because they rarely play WvW or PvP (which are the main sources of Tomes) and either do Black Lion Key runs (which need up to 9 tomes each) or otherwise have a lot of characters to use them on. Or a bit of both. I always make sure I keep enough scrolls/tomes in my bank that I could instantly level a new character to 80 if I needed to (which I have wanted to do in the past) and because I pretty much only get them from login rewards and I make a lot of new characters (either for key runs or to check out story choices or experiment with race/profession/biography choices that affect dialogue) I do have to be careful with them to make sure I don't run out.

I think it would take away from the experience of playing GW2. People will miss out on story elements, the exploration and just the general vibe of the game, if they could easily boost their started character to level 80. I've seen people do this, and it never works out because they don't understand the mechanics of their character and just run around not knowing what they are doing, or how it should be done, or with a character that they don't seem to click with.

If you have to much Tomes, you can break them down into spirit shards. If you feel they are clogging up your bank. I don't foresee Anet making them sell-able or send-able any time soon. Or even, to be honest.

> @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> Honestly I'm against the level 80 boost, let alone selling tomes of knowledge. I already have enough problems dealing with newbies running around places they have no business being.

Sorry for the double post, but this... this is exactly why I don't want Tomes of Knowledge to be trade-able among members.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"Microundeas.4530" said:

> > > @"Takoyakii.2146" said:

> > > Just use it for a key farm.

> >

> > what key farm?

>

> Every week you can redo the personal story's lv10 chapter, which gives a free key (for the black lion chest).

> It resets every Monday morning

That key is not for free, you need to keep a character slot ready for that which costs 10 Euros. Also, you have to spend your precious ingame time to do the same boring story part over and over again, which consists of running to several places, dialogue (including non-skippable), lots of loading screens and stupid fights. You also have to spend 8 tomes of knowledge or more time to level the character manually. And in return you get a Merchant Express or an Instant Repair Canister.

Because people were talking about this "key farm", I actually tried it 4 or 5 times. Then I took a good look in the mirror and it hit me that what I'm doing is the most stupid thing I could do with my freetime.

> @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > @"Microundeas.4530" said:

> > > > @"Takoyakii.2146" said:

> > > > Just use it for a key farm.

> > >

> > > what key farm?

> >

> > Every week you can redo the personal story's lv10 chapter, which gives a free key (for the black lion chest).

> > It resets every Monday morning

>

> That key is not for free, you need to keep a character slot ready for that which costs 10 Euros. Also, you have to spend your precious ingame time to do the same boring story part over and over again, which consists of running to several places, dialogue (including non-skippable), lots of loading screens and stupid fights. You also have to spend 8 tomes of knowledge or more time to level the character manually. And in return you get a Merchant Express or an Instant Repair Canister.

>

> Because people were talking about this "key farm", I actually tried it 4 or 5 times. Then I took a good look in the mirror and it hit me that what I'm doing is the most stupid thing I could do with my freetime.

I guess that's one point of view.

It's stupid if 15 minutes a week is a lot of time, and you don't enjoy the game. Then yes, the lv10 stories aren't very enticing.

But the 10 euros for a character slot will pay itself back: 10 euros for a slot, in xchange for 52 keys a year. I think with 6 to 7 keys you should have your money back

But it goes both ways, if you do enjoy the game, there are 15 different stories (albeit I personally avoid the longer once) to keep it interesting.

And you can skip most of the core game dialogue because most of the core dialogue is in the 1v1 talking format.

> @"Faaris.8013" said:

> And in return you get a Merchant Express or an Instant Repair Canister.

With the latest change - the Black Lion Statuette - keyfarming seems a lot less pointless too me. No matter what you get, you're always moving toward something valuable.

There is no way I'll be playing the fastest option every week, because that would be *intensely* repetetive. There are 15 options, each with a two-way choice, the difference in time is only minutes.