Player Housing

TheWolf.1602

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > @"mauried.5608" said:

> > > > Lets ask a differant question.

> > > > If housing was added, what percentage of all your game time would be spent in your house?

> > > >

> > >

> > > asking it that way brings up another question, how many would use it?

> > > i personally would think more then raids but guess what, raids are in the game and Anet doesn't give a crap about ppl who don't use them.

> >

> > So the fact, not opinion, that the vast majority of the game's content and development is aimed outside of raids is an indication that anet doesnt care about non raiders?

> >

>

> no, the fact, not opinion, is that they added raids but only a small fraction of the playerbase uses it, making it a waste of dev time they could've use on more useful things.

> also, most of the game's content outside raids aim back towards raids, last i can remember they added yet another raid with yet more exclusive rewards while everything outside raids (or better yet, everything in the open world) is ignored yet again.

Count the number of raid maps. Compare too the number of non raid maps. The vast majority of the game's content is non raid, open world.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > @"mauried.5608" said:

> > > > > Lets ask a differant question.

> > > > > If housing was added, what percentage of all your game time would be spent in your house?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > asking it that way brings up another question, how many would use it?

> > > > i personally would think more then raids but guess what, raids are in the game and Anet doesn't give a crap about ppl who don't use them.

> > >

> > > So the fact, not opinion, that the vast majority of the game's content and development is aimed outside of raids is an indication that anet doesnt care about non raiders?

> > >

> >

> > no, the fact, not opinion, is that they added raids but only a small fraction of the playerbase uses it, making it a waste of dev time they could've use on more useful things.

> > also, most of the game's content outside raids aim back towards raids, last i can remember they added yet another raid with yet more exclusive rewards while everything outside raids (or better yet, everything in the open world) is ignored yet again.

>

> Count the number of raid maps. Compare too the number of non raid maps. The vast majority of the game's content is non raid, open world.

A 1000 maps with nothing in it is still nothing, raids are filled with content while new open world maps are just empty spaces to jump around.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > > @"mauried.5608" said:

> > > > > > Lets ask a differant question.

> > > > > > If housing was added, what percentage of all your game time would be spent in your house?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > asking it that way brings up another question, how many would use it?

> > > > > i personally would think more then raids but guess what, raids are in the game and Anet doesn't give a crap about ppl who don't use them.

> > > >

> > > > So the fact, not opinion, that the vast majority of the game's content and development is aimed outside of raids is an indication that anet doesnt care about non raiders?

> > > >

> > >

> > > no, the fact, not opinion, is that they added raids but only a small fraction of the playerbase uses it, making it a waste of dev time they could've use on more useful things.

> > > also, most of the game's content outside raids aim back towards raids, last i can remember they added yet another raid with yet more exclusive rewards while everything outside raids (or better yet, everything in the open world) is ignored yet again.

> >

> > Count the number of raid maps. Compare too the number of non raid maps. The vast majority of the game's content is non raid, open world.

>

> A 1000 maps with nothing in it is still nothing, raids are filled with content while new open world maps are just empty spaces to jump around.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"mauried.5608" said:

> > > > > > Lets ask a differant question.

> > > > > > If housing was added, what percentage of all your game time would be spent in your house?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > asking it that way brings up another question, how many would use it?

> > > > > i personally would think more then raids but guess what, raids are in the game and Anet doesn't give a crap about ppl who don't use them.

> > > >

> > > > So the fact, not opinion, that the vast majority of the game's content and development is aimed outside of raids is an indication that anet doesnt care about non raiders?

> > > >

> > >

> > > no, the fact, not opinion, is that they added raids but only a small fraction of the playerbase uses it, making it a waste of dev time they could've use on more useful things.

> > > also, most of the game's content outside raids aim back towards raids, last i can remember they added yet another raid with yet more exclusive rewards while everything outside raids (or better yet, everything in the open world) is ignored yet again.

> >

> > Count the number of raid maps. Compare too the number of non raid maps. The vast majority of the game's content is non raid, open world.

>

> A 1000 maps with nothing in it is still nothing, raids are filled with content while new open world maps are just empty spaces to jump around.

Ahh, No True Scotsman, argument at its finest.

There are more exclusive rewards, one of your points, outside of raids than in. There is more content outside of raids than in.

Being jealous that one only gets 90% of the cake while others get 10% doesnt make raids more content filled than the rest of the game combined.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > > > @"mauried.5608" said:

> > > > > > > Lets ask a differant question.

> > > > > > > If housing was added, what percentage of all your game time would be spent in your house?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > asking it that way brings up another question, how many would use it?

> > > > > > i personally would think more then raids but guess what, raids are in the game and Anet doesn't give a crap about ppl who don't use them.

> > > > >

> > > > > So the fact, not opinion, that the vast majority of the game's content and development is aimed outside of raids is an indication that anet doesnt care about non raiders?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > no, the fact, not opinion, is that they added raids but only a small fraction of the playerbase uses it, making it a waste of dev time they could've use on more useful things.

> > > > also, most of the game's content outside raids aim back towards raids, last i can remember they added yet another raid with yet more exclusive rewards while everything outside raids (or better yet, everything in the open world) is ignored yet again.

> > >

> > > Count the number of raid maps. Compare too the number of non raid maps. The vast majority of the game's content is non raid, open world.

> >

> > A 1000 maps with nothing in it is still nothing, raids are filled with content while new open world maps are just empty spaces to jump around.

>

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > > > @"mauried.5608" said:

> > > > > > > Lets ask a differant question.

> > > > > > > If housing was added, what percentage of all your game time would be spent in your house?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > asking it that way brings up another question, how many would use it?

> > > > > > i personally would think more then raids but guess what, raids are in the game and Anet doesn't give a crap about ppl who don't use them.

> > > > >

> > > > > So the fact, not opinion, that the vast majority of the game's content and development is aimed outside of raids is an indication that anet doesnt care about non raiders?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > no, the fact, not opinion, is that they added raids but only a small fraction of the playerbase uses it, making it a waste of dev time they could've use on more useful things.

> > > > also, most of the game's content outside raids aim back towards raids, last i can remember they added yet another raid with yet more exclusive rewards while everything outside raids (or better yet, everything in the open world) is ignored yet again.

> > >

> > > Count the number of raid maps. Compare too the number of non raid maps. The vast majority of the game's content is non raid, open world.

> >

> > A 1000 maps with nothing in it is still nothing, raids are filled with content while new open world maps are just empty spaces to jump around.

>

> Ahh, No True Scotsman, argument at its finest.

>

> There are more exclusive rewards, one of your points, outside of raids than in. There is more content outside of raids than in.

>

> Being jealous that one only gets 90% of the cake while others get 10% doesnt make raids more content filled than the rest of the game combined.

ok, so show me a weapon set or armor set outside raids, or better yet, in the open world from recent new maps.

and before you talk about PoF, that's a whole expansion, not a new map. (like istan)

but you can use all the LW maps if you like, prove that there is more to be found in the new maps then in raids.

i can prove part of this, raid rewards that is:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Raid_standalone_weapons

tell me, how much do the new (and old) maps have.

> @"Logos.5603" said:

> I'm for it! Here are two arguments...

>

> First Argument:

> If MMOs are, in part, a role playing experience (and not just murder-hobo/killing spree/grind fest), then it ought to promote opportunities for role play.

> Housing provides an opportunity for role playing (it contributes to a sense of belonging in and to the world.).

> So, housing should be considered as a feature.

>

> Second Argument:

> If a sense of community among the player base is important for MMOs, then it ought to promote activities that allow for the community to develop.

> Housing provides activities that allow for the community to develop. It can be used to promote content that is not visited often, or to motivate players to participate in areas of the game that they don't usually participate in.

> So, housing should be considered as a feature.

> BTW, the argument that Player Housing doesn't contribute to the MMO sense of community fails here.

>

> Counterargument against the notion that player housing is content that no one but the player will see.

> Players LOVE to show off their houses — on forums, on YouTube, in blogs.

>

> Some secondary benefits,

> 1) For a studio, housing is free publicity for the game given that feature will be showcased on forums, YouTube, etc., etc.

> 2) "Housing is a bridge between players and developers, both of whom become co-creators and teammates. Players aren’t just consuming what developers make, but creating something to share back in return. It fosters goodwill and excitement between the sides and makes communication something other than players complaining about the most recent patch."

I agree with this! Especially this part:

"If MMOs are, in part, a role playing experience (and not just murder-hobo/killing spree/grind fest), then it ought to promote opportunities for role play.

Housing provides an opportunity for role playing (it contributes to a sense of belonging in and to the world.)."

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> since GH's takes a big enough guild or enough ppl to help (not to mention 150 guild tokens and enough gold) and the home instance is just a dead instance, i would love a personal house for my characters.

> SWToR has a nice system, you have a basic house and you can decorate it exactly the way you want.

Aion had housing too. And it was a craft too to create furniture (where your char can sit on or lay down). for the house to decorate. I would love that we can use a building to create something like that.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> ok, so show me a weapon set or armor set outside raids, or better yet, in the open world from recent new maps.

> and before you talk about PoF, that's a whole expansion, not a new map. (like istan)

> but you can use all the LW maps if you like, prove that there is more to be found in the new maps then in raids.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Astral_weapons

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stellar_weapons

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Carapace_armor

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Luminescent_armor

Plus there's one-off items like the backpacks, shield and staff from Lake Doric, the growth and shrinking tonics...

I want player housing. GOOD player housing. But we will not get it by making bad arguments. Good arguments may sway the devs, bad arguments just make them tune us out.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > > > > @"mauried.5608" said:

> > > > > > > > Lets ask a differant question.

> > > > > > > > If housing was added, what percentage of all your game time would be spent in your house?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > asking it that way brings up another question, how many would use it?

> > > > > > > i personally would think more then raids but guess what, raids are in the game and Anet doesn't give a crap about ppl who don't use them.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So the fact, not opinion, that the vast majority of the game's content and development is aimed outside of raids is an indication that anet doesnt care about non raiders?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > no, the fact, not opinion, is that they added raids but only a small fraction of the playerbase uses it, making it a waste of dev time they could've use on more useful things.

> > > > > also, most of the game's content outside raids aim back towards raids, last i can remember they added yet another raid with yet more exclusive rewards while everything outside raids (or better yet, everything in the open world) is ignored yet again.

> > > >

> > > > Count the number of raid maps. Compare too the number of non raid maps. The vast majority of the game's content is non raid, open world.

> > >

> > > A 1000 maps with nothing in it is still nothing, raids are filled with content while new open world maps are just empty spaces to jump around.

> >

> > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > > > > @"mauried.5608" said:

> > > > > > > > Lets ask a differant question.

> > > > > > > > If housing was added, what percentage of all your game time would be spent in your house?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > asking it that way brings up another question, how many would use it?

> > > > > > > i personally would think more then raids but guess what, raids are in the game and Anet doesn't give a crap about ppl who don't use them.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So the fact, not opinion, that the vast majority of the game's content and development is aimed outside of raids is an indication that anet doesnt care about non raiders?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > no, the fact, not opinion, is that they added raids but only a small fraction of the playerbase uses it, making it a waste of dev time they could've use on more useful things.

> > > > > also, most of the game's content outside raids aim back towards raids, last i can remember they added yet another raid with yet more exclusive rewards while everything outside raids (or better yet, everything in the open world) is ignored yet again.

> > > >

> > > > Count the number of raid maps. Compare too the number of non raid maps. The vast majority of the game's content is non raid, open world.

> > >

> > > A 1000 maps with nothing in it is still nothing, raids are filled with content while new open world maps are just empty spaces to jump around.

> >

> > Ahh, No True Scotsman, argument at its finest.

> >

> > There are more exclusive rewards, one of your points, outside of raids than in. There is more content outside of raids than in.

> >

> > Being jealous that one only gets 90% of the cake while others get 10% doesnt make raids more content filled than the rest of the game combined.

>

> ok, so show me a weapon set or armor set outside raids, or better yet, in the open world from recent new maps.

> and before you talk about PoF, that's a whole expansion, not a new map. (like istan)

> but you can use all the LW maps if you like, prove that there is more to be found in the new maps then in raids.

> i can prove part of this, raid rewards that is:

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Raid_standalone_weapons

>

> tell me, how much do the new (and old) maps have.

Expansion maps are part of raids, so:

Every skin in the game other than the ones you specifically link are non raid accessible. So, that is somewhere in excess of 200 sets. of armor and over 120 weapon sets. I guess this means that non raid armor and weapons represent somewhere in the ballpark of 99% of the options in game.

For your information 99% > 1%.

• 5 weeks later...

> @"TheWolf.1602" said:

> There seems to be a decent amount of people on this forum who wants player housing to be added to the game, but why?

> what do you guys expect from player housing?

> How would it be different from a Guild Hall or a Home instance?

> What kind of features do you want from Player Housing that aren't already in the game?

Try playing Wildstar and try their Housing System and Decor drops from mobs or Cash Shop.

It’s a great endgame for those who like collecting, achieving, displaying their rewards, mini-activities like gardening and construction, designing, and expressing themselves further in the game. In GW 2, this type of endgame fits right along with their cosmetic-focused endgame and even expands on it by letting you build upon a place of your own in more ways and share it with others. You don’t have to be in a large guild or depend on what others want or think. It’s all yours and you make it your own.

You may be able to set things in motion like the construction of a garden, gazebo, pool, statues, crafting tables, musical ensembles, or seeing the progress of your plants grow that you sowed a few days ago. It’s something to think about away from the game and be proud of when it comes together.

They could even allow you to setup a little PvP area in your backyard and invite ppl over to spar.

It would also be a vast source of income for Anet with a variety of things you can buy for your house and yard available on the gem store.

I would be surprised if Anet did not implement such a fun and lucrative feature that adds a long term endgame for many of its players.

Excelsior.

Housing in MMOs - I never understood and probably will never understand the real purpose of it.

I've been tired a bit from the old MegaDrive game (like Wonder Boy or Landstalker) when there were Inns only - why can't I put up my own tent or camp? Then there was housing and many people liked it. My last housing "experience" was in FFXIV and it sucked. In the four FCs (guilds) I've been in, the housing was useless. People were AFK in it, they had chairs for all but never sat on it, they had music instruments but never used it, and the personal rooms were way too expected (mine was full with Lalafell stuff).

We came in, said the generic "noice" and then used it never again really. When I would come into the house, people stood AFK or checked the market board and then logged off. I mean, it's an MMORPG after all, not "Second Life" or "Sims" in a Third Person view. If a game is that boring you log in to do basically nothing then I'd rather do something in my real world.

Some people want to see their house/home as some sort of base, where you can do stuff your character can't do outside. I can understand that, but as adventurer, I'd rather have some sort of "public homes", with all the stuff in it we need. I think it'd be more funny to have an Inn or hostel sort of accomodation where people NEED to go into somehow and then HAVE TO work together, e.g. cooking or crafting (requires more than two people for better stuff for example). That'd make at least more sense than random zucchini sandwiches on the floor in Rata Sum. These inns could have seats, retainers, Polymock, bounty boards and the usual dirty restrooms you will find in these places. But the homes I know from video games are the typical intermission ones (Thief 4, Styx) where you can look at your trophies and then basically don't care about and rush to the next mission or totally overloaded and useless things like in FF14 that took so many hours of developer time for dead but shiny places.

The home instance is a great start. Would be awesome to include everything we got with the original hall of monuments to the home instance. Achievement titles, mini’s, pve, wvw, pvp, ranks, etc, etc. The original hall of monuments just seems more epic. Would be fun to have that wow factor when you zone into your home.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> Just a random thought.

> If anet were to remake the home instance in the guild hall engine.. would that satisfy every party?

> And to avoid grieving, story instances will ignore placed furniture.

>

They should do anything to the home instance as it might break story elements but I've been saying for awhile that they should use the guild hall engine for a homestead shortcut. I think I'm the first person that posted that idea back on the old forums. A Dragon's Watch guild hall just east of where Mount Maelstrom and Timberline Falls meet would be the perfect area because water, jungle and ice come together there. They could make it a LW size map with a private preserve area that the player could farm and kill everything once a day along with a central guild hall.

• 2 weeks later...

An actual Housing system could do a lot of good for this game. It can repurpose and balance crafting materials that are severely underutilized (silk), give them a chance to repurpose and balance Scribing (poorly implemented crafting skill). With the recent addition of sitting in the game (something they've said for years was too complicated because spaghetti code) and a semi decent placement system used in guild hall decorations I see no reason to NOT add it. Wildstar, SWTOR, even ESO have housing systems that really enhances the feeling of the game (I cry for Wildstar based on the pure number of hours I spent making my plot incredible).

In my personal opinion, GW2 has an issue with long term goals. Legendaries are awesome don't get me wrong, but working towards an incredible, personalized housing system for many players would do wonders for breaking the cycle of monotony that GW2 has. Plus its free publicity for GW2.

Personally I don't want it to be different from guild hall, that's the goal, having a scribing station inside our home instance, so we can decorate her. Or as other players suggested make a specific asuran portal somewhere which lead to your own house (you select type: norn/asura/etc but it can be an empty house currently present in home instance) and then In it you can decorate and add interective things and decos and why not even select which NPC from our character story we want to have like you know, Mira, Gorr, Trahearne and so on..

• 5 months later...

I would really wish to have player housing, i imagine if you can have your house inside the home instance and you decorate your home and choose a design for it, it will be very wonderful I had alot of fun doing the player housing in some other MMOs but having player housing in game like GW2 would be fabulous :+1:

Why do you need housing in an MMO when you're suppose to be playing the MMO.

I've never understood this. A trophy case sure, but then who's going to see it?

The only reason it works in ESO is because that game has nothing. No guild hall area, no trading post / auction house (unless you join a guild for it, seriously w.t.f.). The housing isnt that great in that game.

In the case for Guild Wars, we have a guild hall and a home instance. why not attach the home instance to the guild hall and make the bookshelf / trophy case something in there? Our home instance is stupid and i never go there even though it's 3/4's complete.

I've never played wildstar but i remember seeing vidoes on it. Is that the housing that gives you quests and whatnot? thats a good way to go about it . With guild wars, i'd rather the guild hall be the focal point to this.

Player housing is a feature I really want.

Guild halls are too expensive for the majority of players to level solo. they also require favor from guild missions, which are hard to complete alone. Furthermore, crafting the decorations is balanced based on many people contributing mats and gold. Its not really reasonable for an individual to raise the funds needed to craft enough decorations to really personalise a guild hall.

For these reasons, I would love a space in home instance where I can place decorations balanced around solo play. Home instance currently doesn't allow me to do that.

As for what I feel it can bring to GW2, to make it beneficial to invest in:

- Decorations sold in gem store.

- Housing 'themes' sold - e.g house in charr, asura, sylvari, human or norn style

- Gold sinks through in game decoration unlocks

- New collections to unlock in-game rewards such as trophy mounts, outfit dummies, and special decorations - more content

-long term content which is also repeatable through redecoration - aids player retention

Id like to see this as a side feature in an expansion release. Similar to how guild halls were added as a side feature in HOT.

I put my gw characters in sims... :P Just not the same though. But sometimes, gw feels too epic and you need a break from epicness (and combat). Have a tea and flirt withTrahearne between missions or throw a party with your charr warband. That formula works well in Mass Effect for example.

I also suggested a camp in another thread which is like a portable house.

Player housing i've little interest in but I did enjoy the home instance as a place to collect nodes, cats and other things.

I was severely disappointed that the Suns Refuge failed to incorporate my home instance upgrades.. that one addition alone would have made the Refuge a million times better than just the one time upgradable quest chain that you'll have no use for (besides easy access to Jahai map) once fully completed.

I don't really care about player housing that much, but should it be implemented I would probably enjoy it, and I think it should work kind of like a mini personal guild hall.

You get to pick from a couple available estates, maybe have to clean it out of spiders or grawl or something depending on location. Do solo missions like mini treks or repeating certain renown hearts on a map that can be used to get the currency needed to upgrade. Upgrades would also cost materials like guild hall upgrades do, but fewer of them since it is meant for a single person to do. As you upgrade you clean up areas in your estate, maybe add expansions to it. It should have a scribing station so you can make decorations for it. As you upgrade you would have npcs showing up who could function as vendors for things like decorations. Oh, and be able to bring people there either via party or squad, gotta be able to show off what you've done or give tours of an estate to people who are still unsure which one they want for themselves.

Possible expansions through upgrading could be things like a stable that shows the mounts you have unlocked (and can have an npc with ambient dialog making comments on the various mounts), a garden where there can be daily gathering of plants, a library where you can access lore books, etc. Things that are either pure flavor and for making it feel more homely, or for a minor reward every day.