Are any mount skins obtainable without buying them?

SmirkDog.3160

> @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > Anet allows players to exchange FREE gold earned in game for FREE gems on the gemstore... so players can buy anything they want for FREE.

>

> You forget that these gems have been bought with real money at some point. This feeling of getting something for free (which is not free because you spent time specifically farming gold instead of spending it on other activities) only works if only a small part of the player base does it. If everybody started trading gold for gems, the whole market would crush within a few days and there would be no gems to buy anymore. The more players trade gold to get gems, the more expensive they become. Your "solution" is not feasible. I'm not saying Anet is ripping players off, I say Anet still earns money when you trade gold for gems.

>

>

I forgot nothing. You don’t know what you are talking about.

1- A player spends $0 in real cash to earn gold. No, you don’t get to inject “time” as the $ cost, because the bank account/credit deduction is still $0.

2- Somone else buying gems with cash is still someone else buying gems with cash, not you or I. Trading our gold for gems is still a $0 purchase.

3- Would love for you to explain how a player trading tyria gold for gems, that someone else purchased, magically becomes more $ in Anets coffers... Hint: It doesn’t work that way in the financial universe.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > Anet allows players to exchange FREE gold earned in game for FREE gems on the gemstore... so players can buy anything they want for FREE.

>

> You forget that these gems have been bought with real money at some point. This feeling of getting something for free (which is not free because you spent time specifically farming gold instead of spending it on other activities) only works if only a small part of the player base does it.

You don't necessarily have to farm gold. Just doing daily fractals is about 20g per day, and 2 from dailies, so we are looking at 22g for less than an hour of gameplay, doing things you would normally do. It's not unreasonable for others to make 40g if they add meta events to that. But just 22g per day means you can buy a mount license every 5 days. 400 gems with current prices cost only 110g, I'm sure the same people complaining here don't bat an eyelash when it costs them that much gold getting mystic coins and other materials to craft a mid-tier skin, like the phantasm weapon skins. Do you not farm gold to get those?

> If everybody started trading gold for gems, the whole market would crush within a few days and there would be no gems to buy anymore. The more players trade gold to get gems, the more expensive they become. Your "solution" is not feasible. I'm not saying Anet is ripping players off, I say Anet still earns money when you trade gold for gems.

If more people traded gold for gems, it means that the players buying gold with their gems would get a much better deal, so more people would do it. Currently, a high-end item typically costs around 3k gold, getting that much gold with real money costs something like $250, which is a bit extreme. Some people would prefer to spend real money instead of time, since if you are going to gold farm, you can spend the same time doing a real job, which would be much efficient.

> @"Adenin.5973" said:

> For the price of a gen2 legendary (let's say 2k gold) you can buy 4 of the premium mount skins, with unique look, effects, animations, sounds etc.

>

> A premium mount is worth around 500g (converts to around 2k gems), I don't think that's too much for such a skin compared with what other skins cost in the game. Hell, even if you buy now some of the earlier weapon skins (that you would otherwise get through opening BL chests) through the trading post you would've to pay 150-200g.

>

> Problem is that many players just don't want to grind gold, that they don't want to grind gold in advance, in case something shows up in the shop, so they start only thinking about the money when the offer is already in the shop and the time is running out to grind enough gold to convert it and of course there's a player issue with ppl that are truly incapable of grinding gold efficiently (yes there are these ppl) or that can't invest enough time (2 hrs of SW RIBA each day for 7-10 days should earn you very easily 500g).

>

> My solution would be, that the devs make very simple reskins of the mounts with different color options or only slight variations in geometry and put them for around 500 gems in the shop, so the people that have not that much time or real life money have at least something to go for.

Exactly. The whole notion that everything in-game is fine, and something costing 1 gem is automatically a crime is stupid.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> 3- Would love for you to explain how a player trading tyria gold for gems, that someone else purchased, magically becomes more $ in Anets coffers... Hint: It doesn’t work that way in the financial universe.

I almost spilled my drink when I read that. Please read this again slowly.

> @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> That........... sucks. I understand having some fancy shmancy skins for sale but like........ not even one? Every skin my character is wearing except for one is obtained by playing. What ever happened to that?

Would you rather pay a monthly fee to play this game?

Players buying those skins allow you to play for pretty much free.

> @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > 3- Would love for you to explain how a player trading tyria gold for gems, that someone else purchased, magically becomes more $ in Anets coffers... Hint: It doesn’t work that way in the financial universe.

>

> I almost spilled my drink when I read that. Please read this again slowly.

You should think about this more before you press reply.

I'm still a bit of a newb and mounts are a new thing for me, but from what I have seen, there's no monthly subscription. Anet need to generate income to put back into releasing future content, so it is no surprise they use microtransactions. Now, look at WoW. They have subscriptions coming in monthly so a lot of that is put into the future. Mounts are readily available from raiding or achievements, with a small handful of special ones in the store.

If Anet started subscriptions then add achievement mounts, micro transactions would dwindle too, which wouldn't be a bad thing as they'd still have money coming in with subs.

There is nothing inherently wrong with either a subscription or an in game shop. Both options seem to work, but with a free to play game you have to expect to pay for stuff you want.

Ofc it's fair to have mounts in the gem store. Nothing speaks against that. But they could give also mounts through in game activities. Would you argue the same if all armor and weapon skins would be exclusively available through the gem store? And you get the most barebone weapon skins in game? People would rage an it's the exact same thing.

> @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> That........... sucks. I understand having some fancy shmancy skins for sale but like........ not even one? Every skin my character is wearing except for one is obtained by playing. What ever happened to that?

Well, they all come with the basic 'skin'. It's not like they're invisible. So you DO get one. But only one. Frankly so few people use the basic skin it basically stands out now.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Drecien.4508" said:

> > You can get bl keys and receive the bl statues and 50= one of the mount skins that were on sale in the gem store. Map comp or key farm for keys. Free mount skins!

>

> I just spent 50 Statuettes, and I didn't see any Mountfits (Mount skins). Could you be thinking of the Mount Miniatures on offer?

Hmmmm, they did have them in the statue store, must've swapped them out... Sneaky sneaky

> @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> Try to sugarcoat as you want. The fact that you can't get one single of those dozens of skins via in game (via achievement etc.) is just embarassing and they would make enough money with the rest of those 90% of the skins sitting in the gem store. There is just absolutely no balance between the two and that's what I dislike.

So I take it people are also up in arms about glider skins too right? I mean, aside from 2 or 3 that are tied to a legendary back item there are no in game rewards for them.

Looking at the forums though it would seem nobody as a problem with that. So why is it that it's "embarrassing" that the mounts have no cosmetic skins through in game rewards but it's all fine and dandy that gliders released with no in game method to obtain them and even to this day the only in game methods are tied to legendary skins?

> @"ImTasty.2163" said:

> > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > Try to sugarcoat as you want. The fact that you can't get one single of those dozens of skins via in game (via achievement etc.) is just embarassing and they would make enough money with the rest of those 90% of the skins sitting in the gem store. There is just absolutely no balance between the two and that's what I dislike.

>

> So I take it people are also up in arms about glider skins too right? I mean, aside from 2 or 3 that are tied to a legendary back item there are no in game rewards for them.

>

> Looking at the forums though it would seem nobody as a problem with that. So why is it that it's "embarrassing" that the mounts have no cosmetic skins through in game rewards but it's all fine and dandy that gliders released with no in game method to obtain them and even to this day the only in game methods are tied to legendary skins?

Because there _are_ in-game methods. And the skins obtainable with those are in no way inferior to the gemshop ones. Also, the gemshop prices for glider skins are _not_ in the 4 digits range.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > Try to sugarcoat as you want. The fact that you can't get one single of those dozens of skins via in game (via achievement etc.) is just embarassing and they would make enough money with the rest of those 90% of the skins sitting in the gem store. There is just absolutely no balance between the two and that's what I dislike.

>

> There wasn't a balance with glider skins and no one made a big deal about it.

To you. I will never buy a glider skin either because there are none available just from playing.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> > > > That........... sucks. I understand having some fancy shmancy skins for sale but like........ not even one? Every skin my character is wearing except for one is obtained by playing. What ever happened to that?

> > >

> > > Nothing happened. This isn't a big change from how ANet handles cosmetics generally.

> > > * There also aren't any gliders obtained outside the gem shop, unless you pursue one of the legendary backpacks.

> > That's a big "unless". basically, it means there _are_ exceptions you can pursue.

> >

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > * Similarly, there are only two outfits with origins outside the gem shop (the Endless Common Tonic was given to anyone with a character created before the wardrobe existed; the Hexed outfit costs 3 candy corn cobs). (The outfits currently available on the TP all started as gem-shop-purchased town clothes, converted to tonics when the Wardrobe launched, and are now free-to-convert to outfits, which can be resold on the TP.)

> > Wasn't there also a free outfit given out to veterans at some point? I'm pretty sure there was something like that (edit: royal guard outfit, already menioned in this thread). Also, again, it means there _are_ exceptions. Although i agree, in the case of outfits those exceptions are even smaller, and (unlike with gliders) we can't really expect for any new ones to eventually show up.

> >

> > In case of mounts however there is not even a single exception. And that's on top of pricing strategy for mount skins being much less player-friendly than in case of outfits and gliders.

> >

> > Basically, in previous cases, Anet was giving us options, and didn't try to make the gemshop option a painful one. In case of mounts however, they just plain want to rip players off for as much as they can, as fast as they can. That last change to pricing strategy is worrying, because it's used primarily in games that don't expect high player retention.

> >

>

> No, Anet doesn’t want to “rip off players”.

>

> Anet charges $0 in monthly access fees.

>

> Anet allows players to exchange FREE gold earned in game for FREE gems on the gemstore... so players can buy anything they want for FREE.

>

> Anet bends over backwards to make the monitization of the game favor the player, not the company...

Gold is not free and is not freely given out in the game. Still not a viable option. The problem remains is that for a game where you have to pay for anything other than the base usability the rewards are pathetic. No glider skins, no mount skins, only cosmetic stuff for cash. And yes, exchanging gold for gems is cash.

> @"Drecien.4508" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"Drecien.4508" said:

> > > You can get bl keys and receive the bl statues and 50= one of the mount skins that were on sale in the gem store. Map comp or key farm for keys. Free mount skins!

> >

> > I just spent 50 Statuettes, and I didn't see any Mountfits (Mount skins). Could you be thinking of the Mount Miniatures on offer?

>

> Hmmmm, they did have them in the statue store, must've swapped them out... Sneaky sneaky

I believe what you saw were the minis of the custom mounts, not the skins for them. There was some similar confusion with the Wintersday mount minis pack that dropped from the BLC chest.

> @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> > > > > That........... sucks. I understand having some fancy shmancy skins for sale but like........ not even one? Every skin my character is wearing except for one is obtained by playing. What ever happened to that?

> > > >

> > > > Nothing happened. This isn't a big change from how ANet handles cosmetics generally.

> > > > * There also aren't any gliders obtained outside the gem shop, unless you pursue one of the legendary backpacks.

> > > That's a big "unless". basically, it means there _are_ exceptions you can pursue.

> > >

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > * Similarly, there are only two outfits with origins outside the gem shop (the Endless Common Tonic was given to anyone with a character created before the wardrobe existed; the Hexed outfit costs 3 candy corn cobs). (The outfits currently available on the TP all started as gem-shop-purchased town clothes, converted to tonics when the Wardrobe launched, and are now free-to-convert to outfits, which can be resold on the TP.)

> > > Wasn't there also a free outfit given out to veterans at some point? I'm pretty sure there was something like that (edit: royal guard outfit, already menioned in this thread). Also, again, it means there _are_ exceptions. Although i agree, in the case of outfits those exceptions are even smaller, and (unlike with gliders) we can't really expect for any new ones to eventually show up.

> > >

> > > In case of mounts however there is not even a single exception. And that's on top of pricing strategy for mount skins being much less player-friendly than in case of outfits and gliders.

> > >

> > > Basically, in previous cases, Anet was giving us options, and didn't try to make the gemshop option a painful one. In case of mounts however, they just plain want to rip players off for as much as they can, as fast as they can. That last change to pricing strategy is worrying, because it's used primarily in games that don't expect high player retention.

> > >

> >

> > No, Anet doesn’t want to “rip off players”.

> >

> > Anet charges $0 in monthly access fees.

> >

> >

> > Anet bends over backwards to make the monitization of the game favor the player, not the company...

>

> Gold is not free and is not freely given out in the game. Still not a viable option. The problem remains is that for a game where you have to pay for anything other than the base usability the rewards are pathetic. No glider skins, no mount skins, only cosmetic stuff for cash. And yes, exchanging gold for gems is cash.

I get gold just from selling log in rewards. I dont think there is such a thing as more freely given out than for just logging in.

> @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > > Try to sugarcoat as you want. The fact that you can't get one single of those dozens of skins via in game (via achievement etc.) is just embarassing and they would make enough money with the rest of those 90% of the skins sitting in the gem store. There is just absolutely no balance between the two and that's what I dislike.

> >

> > There wasn't a balance with glider skins and no one made a big deal about it.

>

> To you. I will never buy a glider skin either because there are none available just from playing.

Aside from the fact that three glider skins can be gotten by just playing and aside from the fact that playing to farm gold to buy gems IS playing, there are so many of those glider skins in game, it doesn't matter if one or two or even 10% of the population never buys one for the reasons you won't buy one. They were undeniably popular. You see them everywhere. Not sure if it matters that any small group of people objects to something that so many people don't object to.

I'm not sure why you have a problem with grinding for 10h to get a mount skin but demand to be allowed to grind for 50 hours to get a mount skin. I also seem to have missed the moment when games selling cosmetics in the cash shop became an objectionable thing. But, hey, some people just can't be happy if they are not complaining.

Now, I had a rather fun experience with the mount adoption license. I wanted to have a pretty mount and decided to buy 1. At the time, I had all mounts except jackal, I was sleeping when my husband got it and never bothered to go for it, especially after he made me get the chicken. So, I buy the license, turn to him and say "Wouldn't it be funny if I got a jackal skin?" He was like "Nah, that can't happen, it'd be stupid". You can guess how that went... 1 jackal skin later, I decided to buy another license. I mean, what are the odds I'll get 2 skins for a mount I don't have?! 2 jackal skins later, I went and got the mount. And that's about the only thing that's somewhat wrong with the system: you can get skins for mounts you do not have and thus cannot use but, hey, at least you can't keep getting the same skin over and over again.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > @"Drecien.4508" said:

> > > > You can get bl keys and receive the bl statues and 50= one of the mount skins that were on sale in the gem store. Map comp or key farm for keys. Free mount skins!

> > >

> > > I just spent 50 Statuettes, and I didn't see any Mountfits (Mount skins). Could you be thinking of the Mount Miniatures on offer?

> >

> > Hmmmm, they did have them in the statue store, must've swapped them out... Sneaky sneaky

>

> I believe what you saw were the minis of the custom mounts, not the skins for them. There was some similar confusion with the Wintersday mount minis pack that dropped from the BLC chest.

Myself and several guildies saw it in there, it was all the mounts that were in the TP, grand lion, goat bunny, etc... there are no minis if those.

> @"Drecien.4508" said:

> > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > > @"Drecien.4508" said:

> > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > @"Drecien.4508" said:

> > > > > You can get bl keys and receive the bl statues and 50= one of the mount skins that were on sale in the gem store. Map comp or key farm for keys. Free mount skins!

> > > >

> > > > I just spent 50 Statuettes, and I didn't see any Mountfits (Mount skins). Could you be thinking of the Mount Miniatures on offer?

> > >

> > > Hmmmm, they did have them in the statue store, must've swapped them out... Sneaky sneaky

> >

> > I believe what you saw were the minis of the custom mounts, not the skins for them. There was some similar confusion with the Wintersday mount minis pack that dropped from the BLC chest.

>

> Myself and several guildies saw it in there, it was all the mounts that were in the TP, grand lion, goat bunny, etc... there are no minis if those.

There are. If you go in your miniatures wardrobe, they are right at the top of the locked section (where the new stuff is you haven't unlocked) just under the chocolate lab lantern puppy (if you haven't unlocked that.)

![imgur](https://i.imgur.com/MKs4EDn.png)

Like I said, people were confused at Wintersday, thinking the Wintersday mount minis pack was the mount skins. This is another case of mistaken identity.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > > > @"Drecien.4508" said:

> > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > @"Drecien.4508" said:

> > > > > > You can get bl keys and receive the bl statues and 50= one of the mount skins that were on sale in the gem store. Map comp or key farm for keys. Free mount skins!

> > > > >

> > > > > I just spent 50 Statuettes, and I didn't see any Mountfits (Mount skins). Could you be thinking of the Mount Miniatures on offer?

> > > >

> > > > Hmmmm, they did have them in the statue store, must've swapped them out... Sneaky sneaky

> > >

> > > I believe what you saw were the minis of the custom mounts, not the skins for them. There was some similar confusion with the Wintersday mount minis pack that dropped from the BLC chest.

> >

> > Myself and several guildies saw it in there, it was all the mounts that were in the TP, grand lion, goat bunny, etc... there are no minis if those.

>

> There are. If you go in your miniatures wardrobe, they are right at the top of the locked section (where the new stuff is you haven't unlocked) just under the chocolate lab lantern puppy (if you haven't unlocked that.)

> ![imgur](https://i.imgur.com/MKs4EDn.png)

>

>

> Like I said, people were confused at Wintersday, thinking the Wintersday mount minis pack was the mount skins. This is another case of mistaken identity.

Well I'll be kitten. I checked the wiki and saw no evidence of the minis and knew I saw mounts skins for 50 statues. I need to get my eyes checked. I apologize for the confusion. ☹️