How come there isnt a RP forum on the official guildwars2 site?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more community-focused these forums get, the harder and more resource-intensive they would be to moderate. There's a reason why they don't even have a 'general chat' board here - the emphasis is on technical, actionable discussion about the game.

Best thing to do would be to find an RP guild with their own message board or discord server... there's a LFG forum here.

What purpose would an RP section serve?

If you want a place to role-play on the forum you can do it in Community Creations. If you want to find other role-players you can use Looking for Guild, In-game Events (for role play events) or Players Helping Players.

If you want to suggest changes that would benefit role-players you can do it in General Discussion, or if it's specific to a profession or whatever you can use the appropriate section for that.

I think that's what Inculpatus meant by "less is more". Rather than having a Role-play section with sub-forums for RP guild recruitment, RP suggestions, RP discussion etc. it's all grouped together which means there's fewer categories for Anet staff to check to try and find suggestions related to their area of work, and more likelyhood of other players seeing it.

Honestly, I don't think ANet gets RP. Sure, one or two of the individual devs might, but as a company? Not a clue, and it causes them to leave a potential source of income untouched (save when they tap into it a bit by accident). Worse, they've actually done things that have suppressed RP, and decreased the money they can make off of those players.

> @"Palador.2170" said:

> Honestly, I don't think ANet gets RP. Sure, one or two of the individual devs might, but as a company? Not a clue, and it causes them to leave a potential source of income untouched (save when they tap into it a bit by accident). Worse, they've actually done things that have suppressed RP, and decreased the money they can make off of those players.

>

Fully agree. IMO it is very clear they don't consider RP at all when adjusting the game or creating new content. They simply don't see it is another way of playing their game, as different and unique (and potentially lucrative) as Raids or PvP.

> @"Palador.2170" said:

> Honestly, I don't think ANet gets RP. Sure, one or two of the individual devs might, but as a company? Not a clue, and it causes them to leave a potential source of income untouched (save when they tap into it a bit by accident). Worse, they've actually done things that have suppressed RP, and decreased the money they can make off of those players.

>

Agreed

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > @"Palador.2170" said:

> > Honestly, I don't think ANet gets RP. Sure, one or two of the individual devs might, but as a company? Not a clue, and it causes them to leave a potential source of income untouched (save when they tap into it a bit by accident). Worse, they've actually done things that have suppressed RP, and decreased the money they can make off of those players.

> >

>

> Fully agree. IMO it is very clear they don't consider RP at all when adjusting the game or creating new content. They simply don't see it is another way of playing their game, as different and unique (and potentially lucrative) as Raids or PvP.

The annoying thing is it is the perfect way to have new content when waiting for the next content to be added by anet: having players basically adding content themselves.

> @"Palador.2170" said:

>

Pretty much this.

> @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > The new policy is: Less is more.

> >

> > Good luck.

>

> Do you think they will use that theory for future pricing on xpacks? yes this is a rhetorical question... Feel free to answer anyway.

I don't know; maybe many don't frequent the forums. The Forum policy about sub-forums was stated some time ago here: Less sub-forums offer more to Devs and players.

Sigh.

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > @"Palador.2170" said:

> > Honestly, I don't think ANet gets RP. Sure, one or two of the individual devs might, but as a company? Not a clue, and it causes them to leave a potential source of income untouched (save when they tap into it a bit by accident). Worse, they've actually done things that have suppressed RP, and decreased the money they can make off of those players.

> >

>

> Fully agree. IMO it is very clear they don't consider RP at all when adjusting the game or creating new content. They simply don't see it is another way of playing their game, as different and unique (and potentially lucrative) as Raids or PvP.

Which a very stupid way of doing things.

We're already role-playing. We're pretending that we're MMORPG players. Some pretend they're skilled MMORPG players; most really aren't. Some pretend that they are elite MMORPG players; none of them actually are... they're just insecure twelve-year-old-mentality egomaniacs in grandma's basement. Some guys play girls; of course they're not girls (and _most_ don't think they are), but prefer looking at girls' butts instead of men's butts (I do, anyway)... and some girls play guys because they always wanted to be macho studs [Or maybe they actually are macho studs; if so, look out, guys!] Many wimps pretend they are big strong guys; they're obviously not since they're spending their time in front of a computer game display instead of going to the gym. Many ugly MMORPG players pretend they are either handsome or beautiful; you don't see options to upload your own photograph onto characters' faces, do you? [i actually remember a game that allowed that, years ago.] How much more role-playing do you need?

Note that this is all tongue-in-cheek...

Everything you say in the forums or in chat in the game is role-playing. Having a forum just for that purpose is unnecessary.

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> What an RP section COULD do is to boost and improve RP itself in the game. This would be great, IMO, but is not a priority for Anet.

Well I can see the moderators having a field day if they did set up an RP specific forum.. if in game RP trash chat is anything to go by. We don't need another place for all that to take time and resource out of their team. First use your RP guilds to clean up the RP chat in all the major towns then maybe it could be taken a little more seriously.. until then no thanks!

> @"Lord Kreegan.8123" said:

> We're already role-playing. We're pretending that we're MMORPG players. Some pretend they're skilled MMORPG players; most really aren't. Some pretend that they are elite MMORPG players; none of them actually are... they're just insecure twelve-year-old-mentality egomaniacs in grandma's basement. Some guys play girls; of course they're not girls (and _most_ don't think they are), but prefer looking at girls' butts instead of men's butts (I do, anyway)... and some girls play guys because they always wanted to be macho studs [Or maybe they actually are macho studs; if so, look out, guys!] Many wimps pretend they are big strong guys; they're obviously not since they're spending their time in front of a computer game display instead of going to the gym. Many ugly MMORPG players pretend they are either handsome or beautiful; you don't see options to upload your own photograph onto characters' faces, do you? [i actually remember a game that allowed that, years ago.] How much more role-playing do you need?

> Note that this is all tongue-in-cheek...

> Everything you say in the forums or in chat in the game is role-playing. Having a forum just for that purpose is unnecessary.

Now that's food for thought!

Because A-net doesnt care about roleplayers. Sorry to say that. Sure they put in a rp tag- in the Lfg tool,but its mainly used by trolls. Im a rper since start, but lost intrest a while ago. A-net did everything to "destroy" it. We as a community played on drakkars lake (eu), everywhere you went on the open world we would find each other without any ooc talk. Boom...Megaservers hit us and a lot of projects quited because of it. The rest remains in a metaguild where we would find each other with a lot of ooc talk. Which ip are you on,were is something happening...etc. A lot of Buildings that were once open were closed, no reason what so ever.