GW2 needs the henchmen from GW1

Derenek.8931

> @"Tren.5120" said:

> > @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> > > @"Tren.5120" said:

> > > > @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> > > > Why yes, introduce NPCs that could and would replace other players. It's not like this MMORPG is highly solo-oriented and asocial as it is. There are plenty of people, OP. They may have little need for or interest in talking to you, but that's contemporary PvE for you. I, for one, would rather see movement toward the opposite direction of what you propose.

> > >

> > > Actually, contemporary PvE in MMORPGs is group oriented, and actually being interested in talking to other people is kind of a requirement for that.

> >

> > You say that like automated group finders don't allow people to treat their group members like NPCs, join and leave without a word.

>

> ...

I get the feeling the sarcasm in my first post went straight above your head. No matter. Leave the personal as well as the straw man-accusations on Reddit, where they belong. What I said was entirely related to your point about "communication". Let me put it clearly for you: I do not disagree with (most of) what you're saying and never did. The issues I brought up are exactly that: issues.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to be one of these topics people fail to see in an objective light as they are heavily influenced by their GW1 nostalgia. I really seem to miss why this is supposed to be healthy for the game. The game is already casual and very solo friendly. Hardly any of the content requires you to group up.

As for dungeons... There are many ways to bring back dungeons - introducing henchmen so anyone can solo them once or twice is hardly going to change anything.

There might be a reason to have them in the story modes but that is about it.

> @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> > @"Tren.5120" said:

> > > @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> > > > @"Tren.5120" said:

> > > > > @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> > > > > Why yes, introduce NPCs that could and would replace other players. It's not like this MMORPG is highly solo-oriented and asocial as it is. There are plenty of people, OP. They may have little need for or interest in talking to you, but that's contemporary PvE for you. I, for one, would rather see movement toward the opposite direction of what you propose.

> > > >

> > > > Actually, contemporary PvE in MMORPGs is group oriented, and actually being interested in talking to other people is kind of a requirement for that.

> > >

> > > You say that like automated group finders don't allow people to treat their group members like NPCs, join and leave without a word.

> >

> > ...

>

> I get the feeling the sarcasm in my first post went straight above your head. No matter. Leave the personal as well as the straw man-accusations on Reddit, where they belong. What I said was entirely related to your point about "communication". Let me put it clearly for you: I do not disagree with (most of) what you're saying and never did. The issues I brought up are exactly that: issues.

> @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> > @"Tren.5120" said:

> > > @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> > > > @"Tren.5120" said:

> > > > > @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> > > > > Why yes, introduce NPCs that could and would replace other players. It's not like this MMORPG is highly solo-oriented and asocial as it is. There are plenty of people, OP. They may have little need for or interest in talking to you, but that's contemporary PvE for you. I, for one, would rather see movement toward the opposite direction of what you propose.

> > > >

> > > > Actually, contemporary PvE in MMORPGs is group oriented, and actually being interested in talking to other people is kind of a requirement for that.

> > >

> > > You say that like automated group finders don't allow people to treat their group members like NPCs, join and leave without a word.

> >

> > ...

>

> I get the feeling the sarcasm in my first post went straight above your head. No matter. Leave the personal as well as the straw man-accusations on Reddit, where they belong. What I said was entirely related to your point about "communication". Let me put it clearly for you: I do not disagree with (most of) what you're saying and never did. The issues I brought up are exactly that: issues.

Since sarcasm is really hard to convey by typed words a /s usualy indicate that your sarcastic mate.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"Tren.5120" said:

> > > > > @"Tren.5120" said:

> > > > > > @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> > > > > > Why yes, introduce NPCs that could and would replace other players. It's not like this MMORPG is highly solo-oriented and asocial as it is. There are plenty of people, OP. They may have little need for or interest in talking to you, but that's contemporary PvE for you. I, for one, would rather see movement toward the opposite direction of what you propose.

> > > > >

> > > > > Actually, contemporary PvE in MMORPGs is group oriented, and actually being interested in talking to other people is kind of a requirement for that.

> > > >

> > > > You say that like automated group finders don't allow people to treat their group members like NPCs, join and leave without a word.

> > >

> > > ...

> >

> > I get the feeling the sarcasm in my first post went straight above your head. No matter. Leave the personal as well as the straw man-accusations on Reddit, where they belong. What I said was entirely related to your point about "communication". Let me put it clearly for you: I do not disagree with (most of) what you're saying and never did. The issues I brought up are exactly that: issues.

>

> > > @"Tren.5120" said:

> > > > > @"Tren.5120" said:

> > > > > > @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> > > > > > Why yes, introduce NPCs that could and would replace other players. It's not like this MMORPG is highly solo-oriented and asocial as it is. There are plenty of people, OP. They may have little need for or interest in talking to you, but that's contemporary PvE for you. I, for one, would rather see movement toward the opposite direction of what you propose.

> > > > >

> > > > > Actually, contemporary PvE in MMORPGs is group oriented, and actually being interested in talking to other people is kind of a requirement for that.

> > > >

> > > > You say that like automated group finders don't allow people to treat their group members like NPCs, join and leave without a word.

> > >

> > > ...

> >

> > I get the feeling the sarcasm in my first post went straight above your head. No matter. Leave the personal as well as the straw man-accusations on Reddit, where they belong. What I said was entirely related to your point about "communication". Let me put it clearly for you: I do not disagree with (most of) what you're saying and never did. The issues I brought up are exactly that: issues.

>

> Since sarcasm is really hard to convey by typed words a /s usualy indicate that your sarcastic mate.

Ah, but a little reading comprehension usually goes a long way, too.

I'm glad to see this post is still running. Lots of people with interesting ideas for henchmen/heroes.

Hopefully the devs see it too. I mean aside from henchmen, maybe the most controversial subject would be to buff the racial skills/elites.

Or better yet, replace the racial elite skill with a hero from your race.

But let me address some of the concerns I've seen posted.

1. GW2 is casual friendly and you don't need heroes. For the core game that is mainly true. However, instanced content, personal story, and often map challenges require more than one player and recently, there just hasn't been that more than one player available. I'm not asking for a full party of five, but one hero and one NPC henchman would be nice to progress through the game.

2. It will cause lag in the open world. This could be a problem, but if there were players to lag up in the open world to begin with, I wouldn't have started this thread. Tough to lag up an empty map.

3. Heroes will remove the MMO aspect of the game. Well, a huge portion of the game is instanced solo content. That and there just aren't a lot of players actually playing the game recently. I'll see a lot of people on their mounts picking up random points and passing right on by, but nobody seems to be slogging through the content. People keep saying there are a ton of people around, but why arent they ever where I am?

4. Hero AI is too crappy to keep up. I'm not sure how this is an argument, but the monsters they will fight are also AI, and not especially bright either.

Benefits to heroes:

1. Dungeons and instanced content can be done in groups of 2 or 3 instead of five. While finding a group is always tough these days, its much easier to make a two man party with a hero a piece than to try and wait for five players.

2. Additional game modes available. command your units in battle. Now that zergs are shrinking, we can finally have strategic/tactical wvw. Five man strike teams with a hero or two each can coordinate a lot better than fifty people playing follow the leader. WvW will no longer be Zerg or die.

3. Added as a mastery track, leveling and skilling your hero would be a rewarding experience that would apply to all zones. Unlike the frog people skills, hero mastery would translate over to all game modes.

4. While players are all DPS, heroes could take on the trinity roles for more strategic gameplay. Theres lots of monster attack types GW2 just cant use because there arent dedicated healers or tanks. Luring mobs and taunting them, maintaining distance, etc etc.. lotsd of gameplay which cant be accessed from an all dps all the time playerbase.

5. Players will be able to do whatever content they want at any time. This is the most important thing here. If the interesting content is blocked by lack of players, then all there is left to do is grind. And if I wanted to grind aimlessly, black desert is more suited for that

• 1 month later...

They destroyed the franchise by not adding henchman and heroes and by making this awful PVP arena system, those cartoony characters with clunkly animations.

I paid full price for this game back in the day and all this of course not worth a cent. I don't remember having great time in this game even if I played multiple characters with one capped at max with all the main quests done. My 2 cents

Henchmen and heroes made gw1 a very lonely place. I don't want that to happen to gw 2. I rebought gw1 recently and reminded myself why it felt so sad. You didn't even need a guild at one point.

Gw2 forced me to search for teams and at the end of the day I made so many friends and lived such interesting experiences that I am glad it did.

> @"Mea.5491" said:

> > @"Derenek.8931" said:

> > Currently as the game population is dying off and the veteran players are all moving to raids and fractals, the rest of the world is deserted. If you want to do a dungeon, story quests, personal story, level up, etc its either solo yolo it, or just skip past that content.

>

> Or make friends and play with them? That's what people should do in a **massively multiplayer** game instead of playing with boring NPCs (which is also a form of soloing, btw).

But some aparently dont want to make friends ore be forcef to interact with others so should they be left out. I would go further make gw2 more single player friendly less mmo(is a dying genre anyway)

There was a time I thought have henchies would be useful. But Guild Wars 1 is totally different. When you leave town the map is yours.

The whole idea of an MMO is to play and interact with other players. It is not meant to be RPG solo game.

This is also why you can join multiple guilds. That makes it easier to find people to do stuff with.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, sometimes I just want to go in, play a mission and get out, without having to message a bunch of people to see if they can help. I wouldn't even care if all they had available were 2 random npc's henchmen. Some quest bring characters along but you're the one doing all the fighting. GW1 was great, i loved having heroes and henchies. I had my guild there too and we still would use npc's in certain missions.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> I can't say I agree with the statement that the game/world is deserted. No matter where I am, there are others. Thus, I see no real need for Henchman/Heroes.

I agree that you can always find people for dungeons and story missions (sometimes the wait is longer, but that's okay). Just did all the dungeon paths (including story mode) in three days, it went quickly. Only today, when I did Sorrow's Embrace path 2, it took about 30 minutes to find mates, but that was an exception for me.

However, I agree that henchmen would be a lot of fun: acquisition, skilling, equiping, commanding. I miss that a lot. ;)

• 6 months later...

> @"Derenek.8931" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > Wait ... I've seen this argument before:

> >

> > 1. The game is dying

> > 2. Turn it into a different game I like to save it!!!

>

> umm, i was talking about gw 1, and adding to gw2

Yeah I know ... and we don't need that. GW2 works fine as it is. If you want to play GW1 because you like the mechanics .. you can.