Why is Guild Wars the best mmo out there but still not enough

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"BorgCollective.4509" said:

> I wouldn't say it's the best. It's good. Right now a lot of people are leaving here and going to ESO. Also a lot coming from WoW and some from FFIV to ESO also. ESO seems to be very popular right now. It's in that sweet spot where many are still discovering it. This is an older MMO that also doesn't put out as much content as ESO. I'm not saying it's not a good MMO. It is. But older needs to keep enticing with lots of regular content and events. ESO has quarterly new content and quarterly events. More events here for sure. But not enough new content from what I've heard while I've been playing.

I wish I could create a character whose appearance I could stand in ESO. I doubt I would quit gw2 for it, but Id spend some of the time that I have cut back from gw2 there.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> I wish I could create a character whose appearance I could stand in ESO. I doubt I would quit gw2 for it, but Id spend some of the time that I have cut back from gw2 there.

Haha, yeeaah. Saw some Skyrim-looking screenshots and mostly NOPE'd out of really wanting to give it a try. Not really craving them PS3-era graphics. :p

> @"EmmetOtter.8542" said:

> > @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> > 5. racial importance in some form, we should feel like the race we have chosen has effected something.

> As long as GW2 doesn't make the massive mistake WoW made (and is still making) with racial abilities. Wow made them combat significant and some were (and still are) powerful enough that race, not just class, are part of the meta. Which led to a huge pvp and raiding imbalance between the horde and alliance that still persists.

>

> So sure, cosmetic things like you're suggesting, but don't make the mistake of making them such that its not enough to be Class X with the right gear but you must be that Class and Race Y too to get accepted in a cutting edge team.

>

>

no, no , no. I meant like Armor, skill skins and other such vanity. For example norn always go into beast form when they enter combat; While charr get super cool animations involving their more animalistic nature. I understand your apprehension but I assure you we both dislike the way WoW handled their racial "Identity" traits.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"deadpool.7036" said:

> > Those people are busy enjoying themselves.

>

> Or they are disappointed with ANet, who has proven with GW1 that they can do much better in terms of quality (of story and visual design). ;)

I don't know about the writers, but my understanding is that none of the artists who worked on GW1 still work for ANet. So ANet have only proven that they can do better with completely different personel - especially since GW1's visual style followed the concept art very closely. Of course, "better" is subjective here, but I agree with you that GW1 had superior story and visual design (and it's not nostalgia talking here - I didn't get into GW1 until after I'd played GW2).

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"BorgCollective.4509" said:

> > I wouldn't say it's the best. It's good. Right now a lot of people are leaving here and going to ESO. Also a lot coming from WoW and some from FFIV to ESO also. ESO seems to be very popular right now. It's in that sweet spot where many are still discovering it. This is an older MMO that also doesn't put out as much content as ESO. I'm not saying it's not a good MMO. It is. But older needs to keep enticing with lots of regular content and events. ESO has quarterly new content and quarterly events. More events here for sure. But not enough new content from what I've heard while I've been playing.

>

> I wish I could create a character whose appearance I could stand in ESO. I doubt I would quit gw2 for it, but Id spend some of the time that I have cut back from gw2 there.

All the humans looks like they're forcing out difficult poos, and all the non-humans look like humans in costumes.

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> I don't know about the writers, but my understanding is that none of the artists who worked on GW1 still work for ANet. So ANet have only proven that they can do better with completely different personel

This is true. But I have faith still that things will improve. The anniversary stream sounded quite promising in that regard, at least the last section that featured two ladies from the cinematics department as well as the current head writer.

> @"knomslayer.9457" said:

> > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

>

> > >

> > > its not perfect but its better than World of Warcraft

> >

> > ok if that helps you sleep at night

>

> Lol. Okay. Tell me in what aspect world of warcraft is better than guild wars 2 ? ill wait ....

Dungeons. Battlegrounds, Story, to name a few.

> @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

>

> Dungeons. Battlegrounds, Story, to name a few.

Well i disagree.

-Gw2 dungeons have cutscene beautiful cinematic. You need strategies for each dungeons. Well WoW dungeon, take quest kill this boss, kill that boss, and then that boss the end. lol boring dungeon.

- Battlegrounds :lol: wvw is bigger than any WoW battlegrounds.

- Story/ Lore ? Well, Queen Jennah would beat Jaina Proudmoore 1v1

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"deadpool.7036" said:

> > > Those people are busy enjoying themselves.

> >

> > Or they are disappointed with ANet, who has proven with GW1 that they can do much better in terms of quality (of story and visual design). ;)

>

> I don't know about the writers, but my understanding is that none of the artists who worked on GW1 still work for ANet. So ANet have only proven that they can do better with completely different personel - especially since GW1's visual style followed the concept art very closely. Of course, "better" is subjective here, but I agree with you that GW1 had superior story and visual design (and it's not nostalgia talking here - I didn't get into GW1 until after I'd played GW2).

>

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"BorgCollective.4509" said:

> > > I wouldn't say it's the best. It's good. Right now a lot of people are leaving here and going to ESO. Also a lot coming from WoW and some from FFIV to ESO also. ESO seems to be very popular right now. It's in that sweet spot where many are still discovering it. This is an older MMO that also doesn't put out as much content as ESO. I'm not saying it's not a good MMO. It is. But older needs to keep enticing with lots of regular content and events. ESO has quarterly new content and quarterly events. More events here for sure. But not enough new content from what I've heard while I've been playing.

> >

> > I wish I could create a character whose appearance I could stand in ESO. I doubt I would quit gw2 for it, but Id spend some of the time that I have cut back from gw2 there.

>

> All the humans looks like they're forcing out difficult poos, and all the non-humans look like humans in costumes.

Artists from Guild Wars working on Guild Wars 2:

Horia Dociu (Chief Art Director)

Aaron Coberly

Matthew Barrett

Eli Hanselman

Katy Hargrove

Jason Juan

Hai Phan

Jason Stokes

Tirzah Bauer

Dave Beetlestone

Justin Fawcett

...to name a few.

> @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> > @"EmmetOtter.8542" said:

> > > @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> > > 5. racial importance in some form, we should feel like the race we have chosen has effected something.

> > As long as GW2 doesn't make the massive mistake WoW made (and is still making) with racial abilities. Wow made them combat significant and some were (and still are) powerful enough that race, not just class, are part of the meta. Which led to a huge pvp and raiding imbalance between the horde and alliance that still persists.

> >

> > So sure, cosmetic things like you're suggesting, but don't make the mistake of making them such that its not enough to be Class X with the right gear but you must be that Class and Race Y too to get accepted in a cutting edge team.

> >

> >

>

> no, no , no. I meant like Armor, skill skins and other such vanity. For example norn always go into beast form when they enter combat; While charr get super cool animations involving their more animalistic nature. I understand your apprehension but I assure you we both dislike the way WoW handled their racial "Identity" traits.

See I will go the other way, I think they should go back to impacting game play. The difference though shouldn't result in "meta", there should be compelling reasons to want one of each race and class. Want to offset something in a new build, maybe the combo of this class with this race and this gear. More combination means more unique toons. I get people concerns about balancing but you shouldn't plan for failure, plan for awesomeness instead and think of the added depth it brings back. That was a drawing aspect of this game, we had extra dimension of race impacting how a build might go.

> @"knomslayer.9457" said:

> > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

>

> >

> > Dungeons. Battlegrounds, Story, to name a few.

>

> Well i disagree.

> -Gw2 dungeons have cutscene beautiful cinematic. You need strategies for each dungeons. Well WoW dungeon, take quest kill this boss, kill that boss, and then that boss the end. lol boring dungeon.

> - Battlegrounds :lol: wvw is bigger than any WoW battlegrounds.

> - Story/ Lore ? Well, Queen Jennah would beat Jaina Proudmoore 1v1

Oof thats an outdared and wrong opinion lol

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > @"deadpool.7036" said:

> > > > Those people are busy enjoying themselves.

> > >

> > > Or they are disappointed with ANet, who has proven with GW1 that they can do much better in terms of quality (of story and visual design). ;)

> >

> > I don't know about the writers, but my understanding is that none of the artists who worked on GW1 still work for ANet. So ANet have only proven that they can do better with completely different personel - especially since GW1's visual style followed the concept art very closely. Of course, "better" is subjective here, but I agree with you that GW1 had superior story and visual design (and it's not nostalgia talking here - I didn't get into GW1 until after I'd played GW2).

> >

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"BorgCollective.4509" said:

> > > > I wouldn't say it's the best. It's good. Right now a lot of people are leaving here and going to ESO. Also a lot coming from WoW and some from FFIV to ESO also. ESO seems to be very popular right now. It's in that sweet spot where many are still discovering it. This is an older MMO that also doesn't put out as much content as ESO. I'm not saying it's not a good MMO. It is. But older needs to keep enticing with lots of regular content and events. ESO has quarterly new content and quarterly events. More events here for sure. But not enough new content from what I've heard while I've been playing.

> > >

> > > I wish I could create a character whose appearance I could stand in ESO. I doubt I would quit gw2 for it, but Id spend some of the time that I have cut back from gw2 there.

> >

> > All the humans looks like they're forcing out difficult poos, and all the non-humans look like humans in costumes.

>

> Artists from Guild Wars working on Guild Wars 2:

> Horia Dociu (Chief Art Director)

> Aaron Coberly

> Matthew Barrett

> Eli Hanselman

> Katy Hargrove

> Jason Juan

> Hai Phan

> Jason Stokes

> Tirzah Bauer

> Dave Beetlestone

> Justin Fawcett

>

> ...to name a few.

Ha! Shows what I know! (Although judging from her [Wiki entry](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Katy_Hargrove "Wiki entry") you can remove Katy Hargrove from that list.) Several of the more influential concept artists from GW1 have left though: Kekai Kotaki, Kristen Perry, and Daniel Dociu.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"knomslayer.9457" said:

> > > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> >

> > >

> > > Dungeons. Battlegrounds, Story, to name a few.

> >

> > Well i disagree.

> > -Gw2 dungeons have cutscene beautiful cinematic. You need strategies for each dungeons. Well WoW dungeon, take quest kill this boss, kill that boss, and then that boss the end. lol boring dungeon.

> > - Battlegrounds :lol: wvw is bigger than any WoW battlegrounds.

> > - Story/ Lore ? Well, Queen Jennah would beat Jaina Proudmoore 1v1

>

> Oof thats an outdared and wrong opinion lol

LOL was waiting for somebody else to say that.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"knomslayer.9457" said:

> > > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> >

> > >

> > > Dungeons. Battlegrounds, Story, to name a few.

> >

> > Well i disagree.

> > -Gw2 dungeons have cutscene beautiful cinematic. You need strategies for each dungeons. Well WoW dungeon, take quest kill this boss, kill that boss, and then that boss the end. lol boring dungeon.

> > - Battlegrounds :lol: wvw is bigger than any WoW battlegrounds.

> > - Story/ Lore ? Well, Queen Jennah would beat Jaina Proudmoore 1v1

>

> Oof thats an outdared and wrong opinion lol

To be fair, an opinion on a subjective matter cannot be wrong.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"knomslayer.9457" said:

> > > > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > >

> > > >

> > > > Dungeons. Battlegrounds, Story, to name a few.

> > >

> > > Well i disagree.

> > > -Gw2 dungeons have cutscene beautiful cinematic. You need strategies for each dungeons. Well WoW dungeon, take quest kill this boss, kill that boss, and then that boss the end. lol boring dungeon.

> > > - Battlegrounds :lol: wvw is bigger than any WoW battlegrounds.

> > > - Story/ Lore ? Well, Queen Jennah would beat Jaina Proudmoore 1v1

> >

> > Oof thats an outdared and wrong opinion lol

>

> To be fair, an opinion on a subjective matter cannot be wrong.

thats kind of the point of the joke.