Legendary Armor Skins and the PvE/ sPvP&WvW split

people complain about no open world legendary because people suck at spvp, have no interest in wvw, and want nothing to do with raids. Thats kinda where i'm at on it, but i do have some interest in wvw, and am actually working on getting tickets for some of the armor skins. but getting the legendary set, not likely going to happen anytime soon (if ever) for me at a whopping wvw rank of 570(ish).... when you have to be rank 1500 to even start buying the stuff, thats a lot of time to commit to one game mode.

SPvP? haven't done that since HoT release, was decent at it, but not really my cup of tea. que times, crappy random match making, constant complaining, poor players... don't really think its worth the headache.

Raids? wouldn't mind doing them, did a couple training runs, but no kills; bought the kill to max out masteries. I watch lfg, and its either people selling or wanting experienced people. I don't make enough irl to throw at gems to gold to buy runs. so there goes that option

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Mastermavrick.2439" said:

> > @"sweetrules.8359" said:

> > > @"Mastermavrick.2439" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > Those modes originally were not meant to have lemme method to obtain legendary armor. They were added as a compromise to those demanding such a method to be added.

> > >

> > > Pretty much this, people forget they added the current ways to shut up the constant complaints that only RAIDERS could get legendary armor. Why the constant complaints? because people feel the free stat swap is a upgrade over ascended.

> >

> > You treat it as if constantly stat-swapping isn't common in WvW. Also, how much money does it save you if you fully stat swap an armor set 5 times, 10 times, 20 times, 50 times? 6 pieces, times 5 globs per piece is 30 globs per stat swap. (Lets leave out the insignias for now,which honestly cost a lot more in most cases.) Approx 16 silver on the trading post at the moment. Times by 30. 4 gold 80 silver, on the globs alone for just one time swapping stats. Now times that by 5. about 24 gold. How about ten? 48 gold. 20? 96 gold. 50? Probably around 230 gold. And that's just the money saved on globs, the *cheaper* part of the stat swap for ascended armor. If I counted insignias and just averaged really low at 50 silver a piece, that would probably still easily make another 500 or so gold saved. So, for 50 swaps, on the low end, that would be about 730 gold saved. Still think a free stat swap is so flimsy?

> >

> > Edit: Oh, I also forgot another big money saver. Runes. Being able to swap them in and out instead of carrying dozens of spares for each time you have to switch your armor stats.

>

> Your right i didn't take into account the cost for constant stat swapping, but then i question if people really need to change as often as you make it out to be. Overblown i think and should have mentioned originally is the rage about not having unique skins to the other modes when their additions were a after thought. With WvW at least you could grind out the t3 skins for the effect (only really noticeable on chest piece).

Well, I definitely agree not everyone swaps stats as much as one of my guild members, who swapped stats at least 3 times in one night(In WvW alone) while we were playing. Possibly more earlier that same day. And she has had that armor for a while now. So I'd be willing to say it's saved her a lot of money.

I'm an all around type of player who has raid legendary armor, but has reached diamond 4x in pvp and has 2k+ rank in wvw. Yes I've wasted thousands of hours in this game but I definitely don't want pvp and wvw only players to have the raid legendary armor skins. Hell, even the none raid pve casuals can't get the raid legendary armor skins, now your going to give it to people who won't play this exclusive raid only skin to the people who want to get it easy, screw that.

I worked for it even when it was hard to start getting used to raids as a non raider one and a half years ago to finally getting good at it and clearing raids. I wanted it so I worked for it, if you want that skin you should work for it too instead of crying about it. I wanted warbringer so I put hours on it for weeks to be one of the first people in my pvx guild to get it. I wanted the sublime mist forged chest so I grinded for it. And no before you say it, I'm a solo roamer and I don't afk for pips. I prefer to rekt people while getting rewarded for it.

Raiding isn't hard, you just need to find a group of people with the same mindset as you and learn the boss mechanics. Pvp isn't hard either you just need to keep at it, obviously you may never reach Sindrenner level and win automated tournaments unless you buy it for $400, or win trade during pvp seasons, but that's not the point, if you keep at it you will get better and you will get the items you need for the pvp legendary armor. WvW is even easier, roam like me or join a tag and fight zergs, or watch keeps, their is also the afk pip farmers, just make sure you are using a build that is right for the game mode you are playing, and you'll do fine.

Really a non raider doesn't need the raid legendary skins, you work for it because you want the skin, but as far as functionality goes it's the same as the easier and cheaper versions of pvp and wvw, so don't come crying about the skin if you won't do the work. There is no such thing as free lunch.

> @"Talindra.4958" said:

> PvP and wvw, Afk you get leg armour

> Enough said sorry if offended anyone. I hv 3 sets of leg armour from pve but yet I like the wvw skin which I don't hv. Love the dyeable effects. I transmuted all my leg armour skin btw.

The wvw skin isnt a legendary skin tho.

> @"preacher.9370" said:

> people complain about no open world legendary because people suck at spvp, have no interest in wvw, and want nothing to do with raids. Thats kinda where i'm at on it, but i do have some interest in wvw, and am actually working on getting tickets for some of the armor skins. but getting the legendary set, not likely going to happen anytime soon (if ever) for me at a whopping wvw rank of 570(ish).... when you have to be rank 1500 to even start buying the stuff, thats a lot of time to commit to one game mode.

>

> SPvP? haven't done that since HoT release, was decent at it, but not really my cup of tea. que times, crappy random match making, constant complaining, poor players... don't really think its worth the headache.

>

> Raids? wouldn't mind doing them, did a couple training runs, but no kills; bought the kill to max out masteries. I watch lfg, and its either people selling or wanting experienced people. I don't make enough irl to throw at gems to gold to buy runs. so there goes that option

T2 ascended wvw skin has NO rank cap, if memory serves. T3 does, but you dont need to convert T3. T2 works fine for legendary armor

yes each should have unique skin, but arena net dev that design that game mode will definitely need to figure a way out to make the legendary skin unique as in not easily farmable .. and not just participate and get it. they will have to figure a gameplay that is proven it pass that level. not by wvw rank. not by just participating and get it.

pvp eg GW1 hall of heroes hall of fames ( wining streak) ... wvwvw guild match leader board eg serious guild vs guild matches and winning streak. something like tht.. not from participating from current game play mode in pvp and wvw.. its just too easy to get otherwise. with serious wvw guild matches leaderboard of guild consecutive wining and earn score and points, that contribute to the unique leg wvw armor skin. similar to pvp i miss HA from gw1 :)

> @"Talindra.4958" said:

> yes each should have unique skin, but arena net dev that design that game mode will definitely need to figure a way out to make the legendary skin unique as in not easily farmable .. and not just participate and get it. they will have to figure a gameplay that is proven it pass that level. not by wvw rank. not by just participating and get it.

> pvp eg GW1 hall of heroes hall of fames ( wining streak) ... wvwvw guild match leader board eg serious guild vs guild matches and winning streak. something like tht.. not from participating from current game play mode in pvp and wvw.. its just too easy to get otherwise. with serious wvw guild matches leaderboard of guild consecutive wining and earn score and points, that contribute to the unique leg wvw armor skin. similar to pvp i miss HA from gw1 :)

No. WvW rank is fine for a T3 skin. Committing in WvW will make you get it. What you suggest is a complete WvW overhaul, which is neither doable nor high in ANET's priorities. WvW has more pressing issues to address (server/world balance, skill balance, class balance, world restructure), rather than some peoples' desire to get easier exclusive skins... You want it? Grind for it, in its gamemode.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > @"Talindra.4958" said:

> > yes each should have unique skin, but arena net dev that design that game mode will definitely need to figure a way out to make the legendary skin unique as in not easily farmable .. and not just participate and get it. they will have to figure a gameplay that is proven it pass that level. not by wvw rank. not by just participating and get it.

> > pvp eg GW1 hall of heroes hall of fames ( wining streak) ... wvwvw guild match leader board eg serious guild vs guild matches and winning streak. something like tht.. not from participating from current game play mode in pvp and wvw.. its just too easy to get otherwise. with serious wvw guild matches leaderboard of guild consecutive wining and earn score and points, that contribute to the unique leg wvw armor skin. similar to pvp i miss HA from gw1 :)

>

> No. WvW rank is fine for a T3 skin. Committing in WvW will make you get it. What you suggest is a complete WvW overhaul, which is neither doable nor high in ANET's priorities. WvW has more pressing issues to address (server/world balance, skill balance, class balance, world restructure), rather than some peoples' desire to get easier exclusive skins... You want it? Grind for it, in its gamemode.

no no i mean new real unique legendary armor skin for wvw.. since a lot of wvw people don't take the current leg skin as unique.. they wanted a unique skin like that from pve raid. current leg armor obtainable via wvw and pvp are too easy to get. really.. anyone any play style.. anykind.. enter there and grind .. they will get it. you cant with raids. you actually have to play the game seriously. its not just by saying i am interested.. committed and will get it. they can make wvw more challenging.. make it competitive. make proper guild v guild scoring system and scoring game play. make players earn points (eg legendary insight) from winning streak in gvg, and make wvw leg armor collection via gvg ... i think the gvg community those serious player not casual will really appreciate it. but maybe they have that in mind already.. with the recently announced world merge ..

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > @"preacher.9370" said:

> > people complain about no open world legendary because people suck at spvp, have no interest in wvw, and want nothing to do with raids. Thats kinda where i'm at on it, but i do have some interest in wvw, and am actually working on getting tickets for some of the armor skins. but getting the legendary set, not likely going to happen anytime soon (if ever) for me at a whopping wvw rank of 570(ish).... when you have to be rank 1500 to even start buying the stuff, thats a lot of time to commit to one game mode.

> >

> > SPvP? haven't done that since HoT release, was decent at it, but not really my cup of tea. que times, crappy random match making, constant complaining, poor players... don't really think its worth the headache.

> >

> > Raids? wouldn't mind doing them, did a couple training runs, but no kills; bought the kill to max out masteries. I watch lfg, and its either people selling or wanting experienced people. I don't make enough irl to throw at gems to gold to buy runs. so there goes that option

>

> T2 ascended wvw skin has NO rank cap, if memory serves. T3 does, but you dont need to convert T3. T2 works fine for legendary armor

it doesn't, and honestly, don't even care about legendary armor all that much, but would LOVE to have those t3 wvw chest pieces, but 1500 ranks short of it

> @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> Here we go again, requests for easymode leg armor. Consider this - legendary armor = endgame reward, therefore it makes sense that it come from arguably the most challenging content.

There should be no difference in the acquisition of legendary weapons and legendary armor. What makes armor so much more special that it can't be crafted like the weapons are?

> @"preacher.9370" said:

> > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > @"preacher.9370" said:

> > > people complain about no open world legendary because people suck at spvp, have no interest in wvw, and want nothing to do with raids. Thats kinda where i'm at on it, but i do have some interest in wvw, and am actually working on getting tickets for some of the armor skins. but getting the legendary set, not likely going to happen anytime soon (if ever) for me at a whopping wvw rank of 570(ish).... when you have to be rank 1500 to even start buying the stuff, thats a lot of time to commit to one game mode.

> > >

> > > SPvP? haven't done that since HoT release, was decent at it, but not really my cup of tea. que times, crappy random match making, constant complaining, poor players... don't really think its worth the headache.

> > >

> > > Raids? wouldn't mind doing them, did a couple training runs, but no kills; bought the kill to max out masteries. I watch lfg, and its either people selling or wanting experienced people. I don't make enough irl to throw at gems to gold to buy runs. so there goes that option

> >

> > T2 ascended wvw skin has NO rank cap, if memory serves. T3 does, but you dont need to convert T3. T2 works fine for legendary armor

>

> it doesn't, and honestly, don't even care about legendary armor all that much, but would LOVE to have those t3 wvw chest pieces, but 1500 ranks short of it

Most people, if not all, are after the skins. It just so happens that the pve ones are ugly (maybe with the exception of heavy armor). The "prestige" of owning such a skin is more important than the actual legendary armor's functionality. Except from some wvwers, who may change builds often (due to greater diversity/experimentation), other players couldnt care less about the statswapping/runeswapping.

> @"CptAurellian.9537" said:

> > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > Except from some wvwers, who may change builds often (due to greater diversity/experimentation), other players couldnt care less about the statswapping/runeswapping.

>

> There are enough classes which have 2+ builds just for PvE. Legy armor is godlike for them.

I am pretty sure those players who play 2+ builds in pve, have 2or more full ascended armors. They say so themselves in other discussion about raids. And it is much faster to swap ascended armor sets, than to change the stats on legendary armor+runeswap. Legendary armor isnt practical in this regard, its about prestige and less inventory space.

• 5 months later...

> @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> At least you _get_ legendary armor, non-raid PVE doesn't!

>

> If you want the skin so bad (and not the functionality, which is what people in the PVP modes _said_ they wanted), you have to raid, that's the entire point of it.

Not really at all... why would I overspend by 200 gold per item when I could spend the same and get 6 sets of acended armor? Why get Legendary at all, why spend more ANet?

> @"CodyG.6975" said:

> > @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > At least you _get_ legendary armor, non-raid PVE doesn't!

> >

> > If you want the skin so bad (and not the functionality, which is what people in the PVP modes _said_ they wanted), you have to raid, that's the entire point of it.

>

> Not really at all... why would I overspend by 200 gold per item when I could spend the same and get 6 sets of acended armor? Why get Legendary at all, why spend more ANet?

>

take less bag space.

Can't get any legendary armor in PvE (Raids are as separate from PvE as PvP is from WvW). And even if you dedicated time into getting it in a mode you don't want to play (WvW) there is yet another risk of losing currency because of server crashes and customer support not helping you getting it back. Hope you like putting 60 hours into something that at any moment can disappear in a puff of smoke.

Btw, afking tactics in WvW and working your butt off in Raids are not comparable except that they are both awful methods. Just give us a way to collect in ALL modes since Raids, PvP and WvW each get a set.

> @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> Can't get any legendary armor in PvE (Raids are as separate from PvE as PvP is from WvW). And even if you dedicated time into getting it in a mode you don't want to play (WvW) there is yet another risk of losing currency because of server crashes and customer support not helping you getting it back. Hope you like putting 60 hours into something that at any moment can disappear in a puff of smoke.

>

> Btw, afking tactics in WvW and working your butt off in Raids are not comparable except that they are both awful methods. Just give us a way to collect in ALL modes since Raids, PvP and WvW each get a set.

Lose currency cause of server crashes? Have never seen that happen, and I can honestly tell you i have been getting maximum wvw tickets per week after they were introduced

I think the development of the game is mainly concentrated at PVE. I really enjoy PVP and WVW, however, the skins of a legendary armor are not the only downside. Your post has started with the idea that we get less from cool skins, as PVP or WVW players. The real end game is fashion. How do you get "fashion"? Most legendary skins (weapons, trinket effects, etc.) require a moderate amount of gold per piece. With that said, just compare the amount of gold you get per 4 hours **intense** playtime in WvW and 4 hours **casual** playtime in Istan. The reward tracks of WvW should be speeded 2-3 times and even more, and at the end of each reward track a bonus 5 gold. Also, the WXP needed for ranks should be reduced to 2.5-3k, while keeping the rewards per rank the same. The last is not just because of faster rewards from the ranking system, but also because there are people which play a lot and only WvW for years and they are below rank 5000. Imagine someone, which play AVERAGE amount of time per day - 3-4 hours ONLY WVW and tell me how much time would he need to get to the final rank? Or forget that, a little more simple, how much time would he need to get to rank 1000 so he don't have a disadvantage in the WvW and get all of the skills? But to get back in my initial (and yours obviously) concern - WvW/PvP are the least developed modes in the game and not by a little margin. However, just check the forum and you will see that PvP and WvW are pretty active too, which means that a lot of people are interested in them. This should be one of the triggers that we also need some major content updates on a regular basis and not just some fixes/nerfs/buffs of skills.

This is why you don't get skins - because of these modes being somehow forgotten.

Cracks me up how the raid defenders pretty much all say nonono wvw and PvP can't have special skins they have to EARN it by doing raids and then say (usually inn the same post) but raids aren't hard and they only take about five hours for a full clear.

Well. Which is it? If it's really so easy why can't the other modes have shinies too? It can't just be for the ridiculous grind that the tokens are. (I'm to the point where I'm stockpiling those and li before starting--yay escort). All I hear from the raiders I know is what a pain the provisioner tokens are.

> @"Etria.3642" said:

> Cracks me up how the raid defenders pretty much all say nonono wvw and PvP can't have special skins they have to EARN it by doing raids and then say (usually inn the same post) but raids aren't hard and they only take about five hours for a full clear.

>

> Well. Which is it? If it's really so easy why can't the other modes have shinies too? It can't just be for the ridiculous grind that the tokens are. (I'm to the point where I'm stockpiling those and li before starting--yay escort). All I hear from the raiders I know is what a pain the provisioner tokens are.

I mean, I am not saying we must have the same skin - let this raid skin/effect represent the raid legendary armor, so people can see you have done the raids. WvW and PvP can have their own skins and effects -3 different, as we have 3 different backpacks :)

I think the biggest mistake here is that the legendary armor for PVE is in content that not even majority of PVE players actually plays.. Okay raids are PvE endgame.. So are making legendary weapons. Why does the road to legendary weapons and armor have to be so far apart? I have hoarded up many legendary weapons, I'm looking to make legendary armor, and find out I am essentially forced to play something I don't want to play. The biggest part of getting that legendary armor is finding a group, practise, practise, practise, be forced to play a meta build and get through the raid fine without being emotionally exhausted from it.

It's supposed to be an achievement, yeah I can get behind that, but is it supposed to absolutely wear you out and go play content that's mostly filled with entitlement? No.

If there would be WvW legendary armor I would go get it in a heartbeat. Simply because I hate raids more than I hate wvw.

> @"MauChann.3081" said:

> I think the biggest mistake here is that the legendary armor for PVE is in content that not even majority of PVE players actually plays.. Okay raids are PvE endgame.. So are making legendary weapons. Why does the road to legendary weapons and armor have to be so far apart? I have hoarded up many legendary weapons, I'm looking to make legendary armor, and find out I am essentially forced to play something I don't want to play. The biggest part of getting that legendary armor is finding a group, practise, practise, practise, be forced to play a meta build and get through the raid fine without being emotionally exhausted from it.

> It's supposed to be an achievement, yeah I can get behind that, but is it supposed to absolutely wear you out and go play content that's mostly filled with entitlement? No.

>

> If there would be WvW legendary armor I would go get it in a heartbeat. Simply because I hate raids more than I hate wvw.

You can already get a legendary armor in wvw and pvp and I wouldn't mind if anet adds a legendary armor during the LS (maybe for each LS chapter one part of the armor), but it shouldn't have the raid skin.

If you give the raid skin to another armor, lots of people would be annoyed about it and additionally there would be lots of threads like:

"How can I get The Ascencion in pve?", "Could you please add the wvw rank 2000 armor in pve as well?", "I request the fractal backpack for the next LS!"..

> It's supposed to be an achievement, yeah I can get behind that, but is it supposed to absolutely wear you out and go play content that's mostly filled with entitlement? No.

That's different for everyone. I have a lot of fun in raids with very nice people. Farming a currency for a pve legendary armor in open world would wear me out.