Beedog Griffon Skin

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Kethavel.1759" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > death of an artstyle

> > Even though I said I don't care about negative comments, hilariously the following is true.

> > The latest poll I saw [Private Poll] Do you enjoy Super Adventure Box? Why?

> > 93 yes

> > 56 no

> > 24 never played

> > 53% like it vs 32%, how does that reflect the "death of an artstyle."? A lot more people like it than hate it.

>

> there's a diffrence between a yearly aprils fools event and some weapons/backpack skins (which don't look that bad) and giant polygonal animals bigger then your character.

>

> ppl complain enough of SAB breaking the artstyle no need to go full tera

What if it was more of a SAB _inspired_ mount than a SAB style one? Like a normal griffon mount in a cloth beedog costume? So no huge polygons, no bright, glowing colours, but still keeping the bee dog theme?

But as other people have pointed out the lore already covers ways for holographic SAB items to exist in Tyria. If they're lore-breaking then so is the entire Holosmith specilisation. And if that's the case then the lore has been broken since release thanks to [Elli](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elli "Elli") and her combat hologram.

> @"Ben K.6238" said:

> I wouldn't be surprised if this happens, honestly.

>

> It's unfortunate, because there are some outstanding mount skins available, but for some reason we always seem to gravitate towards the visual themes and colours that would appeal to a 12-year-old on an acid trip.****

To some extent at least you have to blame the players for that. Especially with mount skins where the majority come from the RNG boxes. The chances are pretty low that someone got exclusively the visually 'noisy' ones like the fire raptor or the space griffon and none of the normal ones. And then you add in dyes - I've seen some brilliant dye jobs on the fire raptor where they used a very dark colour on the fire effect so it's barely noticeable and looks more like mist or smoke. So if someone did get stuck with only the flashy mounts they can tone them down if they wish. If you see someone riding around on a blindingly bright mount in 4 clashing colours you know that's entirely their personal choice.

(And the same goes for the branded mounts which seem to be the most popular right now, IMO at least partially because they're the least gimmicky of the 5-packs which have been released. Put a dark colour in the 4th slot and the glow is barely noticeable, with a bit of experimentation you can make them look like they're just spikier versions of the normal mounts, so again you can get the additional customisation of fully dyable mounts without the visual noise.)

Of course Anet encourages the situation by continuing to release mounts that invite bright, flashy dye jobs. And other things some people object to like wings, glowing/particle effect armour and outfits, huge glowing weapons etc. but why wouldn't they? These things sell. Upgrades that add particle effects are some of the most expensive items in the game right now and the gem store wings/glowing outfits etc. always seem to be popular. Why wouldn't Anet make more of what sells well? And conversely if players didn't buy and use it they wouldn't sell it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Moonlit.6421" said:

> > > @"Moonlit.6421" said:

> > > > @"Kethavel.1759" said:

> > > > The latest poll I saw [Private Poll] Do you enjoy Super Adventure Box? Why?

> > > > 93 yes

> > > > 56 no

> > > > 24 never played

> > > > 53% like it vs 32%, how does that reflect the "death of an artstyle."? A lot more people like it than hate it.

> > > Keep in mind though that doesn't mean the same amount like the idea of SAB mount skins. I personally for example found the SAB to be a funny little gimmick for a short while each year. Now would I want to see players flying around on giant Beedogs in the land of Tyria? No lol.

> > >

> >

> > You say that as is it is so abstract to have a Beedog in the "Land of Tyria" the same land that is in a video game that is entirely fictional. The same could have been said about many things, we have dead fish and rocks with eyeballs for mini pets, disco ball and toy weapon skins, floppy scimitar, the list goes on there are TONS of goofy oddball things in the fictional land of Tyria.

>

> Actually to be fair I said nothing about it being "abstract" as you said, just pointed out that the poll you mentioned does not particularly support the topic of this thread. As for the skins I said, as mentioned in the quote above, that **I** personally wouldn't like them and wouldn't want see players flying all over Tyria with them. Just as you have a right and reason to want them, I have a right to stand on the other side of the line and disagree with you, and that is all I've done so far. While we could get into a lore based discussion on it I chose not to as I personally have no interest in doing so and as you mentioned in your op you'd have no intention of listening, even if I did bring up a good point regarding the matter, so I see no point in wasting my time with that.

Of course you can disagree, but doesn't mean the reasoning makes logical sense.

I never said you said it was "abstract" literally, I wrote that your comment makes it seem as if it is abstract to have a beedog mount in Tyria.

Referring to your comment where you said "Now would I want to see players flying around on giant Beedogs in the land of Tyria? No lol.". You gave no reasons behind that train of thought, leaving me to believe your reasoning could only be because you think it does not fit in with the rest of Tyria hence making it abstract.

In which case if that was your reasoning it would be very hard to justify given the immense number of already odd things we have in tyria, discoball and confetti gun weapons, christmas wrapped weapons, floppy scimitar swords, rainbow unicorns, and dancing llama finishers, list goes on forever.

And yes I had originally posted that I don't care about SAB hate comments, because I already know some people don't like it just like everything else in the world some people hate it, nothing new, I just felt the need to post this as an idea for Anet even though they probably don't read these threads for ideas much, and to share it with other people who like the idea.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > death of an artstyle

> > > > Even though I said I don't care about negative comments, hilariously the following is true.

> > > > The latest poll I saw [Private Poll] Do you enjoy Super Adventure Box? Why?

> > > > 93 yes

> > > > 56 no

> > > > 24 never played

> > > > 53% like it vs 32%, how does that reflect the "death of an artstyle."? A lot more people like it than hate it.

> > >

> > > there's a diffrence between a yearly aprils fools event and some weapons/backpack skins (which don't look that bad) and giant polygonal animals bigger then your character.

> > >

> > > ppl complain enough of SAB breaking the artstyle no need to go full tera

> >

> > That is not even a legitimate reason. Let's apply your logic to everything. Should we have PVP? No because people complain about it. Should we have WVW? No because people complain about it. Should we have mounts? No because people complain about it. Should we have a game at all? No because people complain about it. Should we wake up in the morning and enjoy life? Your reason is all the more reason why we should have SAB mounts.

>

> ppl complain about pvp being abandoned but we shouldn't abandon it.

> ppl complain about wvw being abandoned but we shouldn't abandon it.

> ppl complain about the artstyle being abandoned but we shouldn't abandon it.

>

> and i'm not saying we shouldn't have mounts i say we shouldn't have mount skins based on SNES graphics because it clashes with the games artsyle.

>

> i also wanna add that the animations on such mounts would lok janky AF which is fine inside the SAB but on the outside (with the weight of mounts it'd look even more stupid)

Your later comment you stated "ppl complain enough of SAB breaking the artstyle no need to go full tera". The problem is that less than half of players are complaining about that and in fact even the small poll I posted about shows that in that one instance. So knowing that more than half of the players do not complain about SAB breaking the artstyle, you stated that because a less than half of the player base complained we should not do SAB stuff basically. Which is where my examples came into play about people complaining about wvw, pvp, mounts etc, they were examples to show other cases where less than half the player base complain about their existence and if we followed your reasoning on SAB we should also get rid of those aspects because less than half of the players complain about them. I never said literally that you said we shouldn't have mounts, as I am explaining how it was an example using your reasoning.

Onto the graphics. You do realize that the SAB stuff in game is not actually 16 bit like SNES graphics, and it was intended to mimic an 8-bit platformer not SNES? Secondly SAB fully fits into the lore 100%. If you goto Rata Sum you can see gobs of flashy lights bright colored holographs everywhere. There ever even holographic plants in Rata Sum. The Asurans obviously invent things and Moto invented a "Super Adventure Box" video game console basically. It fully fits in 100% graphics and lore. The colors used on everything SAB are just like all the other flashy Asuran things. Your comment about graphics and colors and not fitting in is purely subjective and not actual reality.

> @"Kethavel.1759" said:

> > @"Moonlit.6421" said:

> > > @"Kethavel.1759" said:

> > > > @"Moonlit.6421" said:

> > > > > @"Kethavel.1759" said:

> > > > > The latest poll I saw [Private Poll] Do you enjoy Super Adventure Box? Why?

> > > > > 93 yes

> > > > > 56 no

> > > > > 24 never played

> > > > > 53% like it vs 32%, how does that reflect the "death of an artstyle."? A lot more people like it than hate it.

> > > > Keep in mind though that doesn't mean the same amount like the idea of SAB mount skins. I personally for example found the SAB to be a funny little gimmick for a short while each year. Now would I want to see players flying around on giant Beedogs in the land of Tyria? No lol.

> > > >

> > >

> > > You say that as is it is so abstract to have a Beedog in the "Land of Tyria" the same land that is in a video game that is entirely fictional. The same could have been said about many things, we have dead fish and rocks with eyeballs for mini pets, disco ball and toy weapon skins, floppy scimitar, the list goes on there are TONS of goofy oddball things in the fictional land of Tyria.

> >

> > Actually to be fair I said nothing about it being "abstract" as you said, just pointed out that the poll you mentioned does not particularly support the topic of this thread. As for the skins I said, as mentioned in the quote above, that **I** personally wouldn't like them and wouldn't want see players flying all over Tyria with them. Just as you have a right and reason to want them, I have a right to stand on the other side of the line and disagree with you, and that is all I've done so far. While we could get into a lore based discussion on it I chose not to as I personally have no interest in doing so and as you mentioned in your op you'd have no intention of listening, even if I did bring up a good point regarding the matter, so I see no point in wasting my time with that.

>

> Of course you can disagree, but doesn't mean the reasoning makes logical sense.

> I never said you said it was "abstract" literally, I wrote that your comment makes it seem as if it is abstract to have a beedog mount in Tyria.

> Referring to your comment where you said "Now would I want to see players flying around on giant Beedogs in the land of Tyria? No lol.". You gave no reasons behind that train of thought, leaving me to believe your reasoning could only be because you think it does not fit in with the rest of Tyria hence making it abstract.

> In which case if that was your reasoning it would be very hard to justify given the immense number of already odd things we have in tyria, discoball and confetti gun weapons, christmas wrapped weapons, floppy scimitar swords, rainbow unicorns, and dancing llama finishers, list goes on forever.

> And yes I had originally posted that I don't care about SAB hate comments, because I already know some people don't like it just like everything else in the world some people hate it, nothing new, I just felt the need to post this as an idea for Anet even though they probably don't read these threads for ideas much, and to share it with other people who like the idea.

My only reasoning referenced in that post was my personal preference, and my personal preference is no. I could come up with a few reasons as to why aside from that I don't think they fit or should be a thing, but I'll keep to what I've said thus far which is just that I, personally, don't want them.

> @"Moonlit.6421" said:

> > > @"Moonlit.6421" said:

> > > > > @"Moonlit.6421" said:

> > > > > > @"Kethavel.1759" said:

> > > > > > The latest poll I saw [Private Poll] Do you enjoy Super Adventure Box? Why?

> > > > > > 93 yes

> > > > > > 56 no

> > > > > > 24 never played

> > > > > > 53% like it vs 32%, how does that reflect the "death of an artstyle."? A lot more people like it than hate it.

> > > > > Keep in mind though that doesn't mean the same amount like the idea of SAB mount skins. I personally for example found the SAB to be a funny little gimmick for a short while each year. Now would I want to see players flying around on giant Beedogs in the land of Tyria? No lol.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > You say that as is it is so abstract to have a Beedog in the "Land of Tyria" the same land that is in a video game that is entirely fictional. The same could have been said about many things, we have dead fish and rocks with eyeballs for mini pets, disco ball and toy weapon skins, floppy scimitar, the list goes on there are TONS of goofy oddball things in the fictional land of Tyria.

> > >

> > > Actually to be fair I said nothing about it being "abstract" as you said, just pointed out that the poll you mentioned does not particularly support the topic of this thread. As for the skins I said, as mentioned in the quote above, that **I** personally wouldn't like them and wouldn't want see players flying all over Tyria with them. Just as you have a right and reason to want them, I have a right to stand on the other side of the line and disagree with you, and that is all I've done so far. While we could get into a lore based discussion on it I chose not to as I personally have no interest in doing so and as you mentioned in your op you'd have no intention of listening, even if I did bring up a good point regarding the matter, so I see no point in wasting my time with that.

> >

> > Of course you can disagree, but doesn't mean the reasoning makes logical sense.

> > I never said you said it was "abstract" literally, I wrote that your comment makes it seem as if it is abstract to have a beedog mount in Tyria.

> > Referring to your comment where you said "Now would I want to see players flying around on giant Beedogs in the land of Tyria? No lol.". You gave no reasons behind that train of thought, leaving me to believe your reasoning could only be because you think it does not fit in with the rest of Tyria hence making it abstract.

> > In which case if that was your reasoning it would be very hard to justify given the immense number of already odd things we have in tyria, discoball and confetti gun weapons, christmas wrapped weapons, floppy scimitar swords, rainbow unicorns, and dancing llama finishers, list goes on forever.

> > And yes I had originally posted that I don't care about SAB hate comments, because I already know some people don't like it just like everything else in the world some people hate it, nothing new, I just felt the need to post this as an idea for Anet even though they probably don't read these threads for ideas much, and to share it with other people who like the idea.

>

> My only reasoning referenced in that post was my personal preference, and my personal preference is no. I could come up with a few reasons as to why aside from that I don't think they fit or should be a thing, but I'll keep to what I've said thus far which is just that I, personally, don't want them.

Personally, without reason, that's alright.

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> At the point where you have laser pistols, people with wings, people who walk around with their clothing literally on fire, etc. I really don't understand the immersion and artstyle complaints. Personally, I've always enjoyed the varied ways players in this game can tinker with their character's look. Standing right next to the guy riding a smiling, pixelated cloud you'll see a guy who looks like the grim reaper. So what? That's GW2 to me!

Exactly, vive la différence! I like the variety people can have, I personally go for quite "realistic" armor and dyes but I see no problem with others who don't, my immersion isn't affected by them.

I'm more than likely going to buy the SAB skins when they're added and I'll use them on one or two characters for a while then go back to other skins. If ArenaNet add them and I think they will then people will have to suck it up. Within a month most people will have gone back to non SAB skins.

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> At the point where you have laser pistols, people with wings, people who walk around with their clothing literally on fire, etc. I really don't understand the immersion and artstyle complaints. Personally, I've always enjoyed the varied ways players in this game can tinker with their character's look. Standing right next to the guy riding a smiling, pixelated cloud you'll see a guy who looks like the grim reaper. So what? That's GW2 to me!

No the guy that looks like the grim reaper will be ON the happy little cloud. :wink:

> @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> Bee dog for griffin.

> Cloud for skimmer.

> Toad for springer.

> Snake for raptor (maybe bunny).

> Goat for jackal.

Completely agree with this idea as long as they ensure all of them come with unmutable sound effects.

Bee dog for griffin. - constant loud buzzing when moving.

Cloud for skimmer - constant loud hum/rustling when moving.

Toad for springer - continuous croaking regardless if moving or not.

Snake for raptor (maybe bunny) - hissing while moving.

Goat for jackal - bleating while stationary, two times louder when moving and shrieking/screaming while dodge/evading.

Naturally the audio can only be available for the rider to enjoy.

I think I'd rather have "holographic" mounts than straight-up SAB skins. While it would be cute to ride a bee dog, I think it'd bee even cuter riding a translucent raptor/griffon/whatever with bee dog wings/stripes and little bauble particles. (Similar to the holographic and bauble kittens from the cat collection.) The blocky textures don't really lend themselves to complex movements, but they could be applied as barding or "costumes" for the creatures.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> I think I'd rather have "holographic" mounts than straight-up SAB skins. While it would be cute to ride a bee dog, I think it'd bee even cuter riding a translucent raptor/griffon/whatever with bee dog wings/stripes and little bauble particles. (Similar to the holographic and bauble kittens from the cat collection.) The blocky textures don't really lend themselves to complex movements, but they could be applied as barding or "costumes" for the creatures.

Holographic mounts modeled after the weapon skins would be cool too.

> @"Kethavel.1759" said:

> > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > I want Golem Mounts, not SAB Mounts

>

> Sounds cool, actually makes me think of like mechanical mounts in general like the Steam monsters or the watchwork style!

That's actually something I've been hoping they would do for a while. Racial mounts. Asura would be golems. Sylvarie would be plant based like Fern Hounds. Norn could be spirit animals. Charr could be steam vehicles that aren't actually creatures with wheels and all. I couldn't figure out what human should be because technically the original mounts were the human variant, but watchwork is actually really good.

I would absolutely spend the gems on most if not all of these sets

**NO**

SAB artstyle needs to stay within the SAB.

Weapon sets, gliders, backpacks, noisy minipets, we’ve plenty of evidence that SAB trash has no place in the ‘real’ world were it stands out like a crooked nail.

Rather than new skins for mounts, we should pay anet for the full removal of SAB skins outside SAB.

If you want Holographic Skins, look at the Aetherblade, or the college of Synergetic. Those would be fitting in this world. But SAB, with its failed attempt at looking like SNES graphics _absolutely does not_

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> **NO**

> SAB artstyle needs to stay within the SAB.

> Weapon sets, gliders, backpacks, noisy minipets, we’ve plenty of evidence that SAB trash has no place in the ‘real’ world were it stands out like a crooked nail.

> Rather than new skins for mounts, we should pay anet for the full removal of SAB skins outside SAB.

>

> If you want Holographic Skins, look at the Aetherblade, or the college of Synergetic. Those would be fitting in this world. But SAB, with its failed attempt at looking like SNES graphics _absolutely does not_

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/33562/super-adventure-box-mounts/p1?new=1 - Give it a read~ I can see where you are coming from, but I certainly have an opposing view.

Well looks like all you negative Nancies got your wish. SAB is even more of a let down this year. Wasted another two decoration selections with yet a third rock and a third tree, could think of hundreds of better options in a split second. The chest you can't even stand in or put stuff in unless you place it over an object as lazily made as the tree house that's not hollowed out. No mounts, not even a new colored infusion to farm. Of course no new world I guess my last shred of hope and excitement for SAB is gone, should just listen to everyone else when they say it's done, now I sound like a whiner, well I am whining hell if I care. Oh we have consumable foods wow....... and a race that there is not even AP for whatever and least I can sit in a chair in my guild hall and /cry, or can I?

Would have loved a beedog mount skin. Also I do not think that these skins would be seen everywhere on the long run. The first week on selling yes, beedogs everywhere. But aftera few weeks the amount of beedogs would have decreased like with every other mount/gilder skins in the past. Kinda sad we won't get to ride around on beedogs. :(

> @"Inexor.7804" said:

> Would have loved a beedog mount skin. Also I do not think that these skins would be seen everywhere on the long run. The first week on selling yes, beedogs everywhere. But aftera few weeks the amount of beedogs would have decreased like with every other mount/gilder skins in the past. Kinda sad we won't get to ride around on beedogs. :(

No telling what will pop up in the future (like next Tuesday). I'd say that SAB mounts are unlikely to show up though.