Has anyone figured out why Sandswept Isles goes 100% CPU Load?

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> I never looked at my CPU load, but I definitely noticed the unusually long load time for this map. I don't see why it would have anything to do with spyware, but I do wonder why.

It can't be the program sniffer, because (a) it's no longer in the game code and (b) it only happens with Sandswept.

GW2 is poorly optimized unfortunately. And most likely due to it just being a modified version of the GW1 engine. It's heavily CPU bound. Most out of any game I've seen actually. I suspect this map is even worse for optimization due to time limits. It's a very complex map in terms of terrain. I could be 100% wrong though as I'm no expert. But I suspect it's probably something like that.

The only thing technically challenging on the map itself would be the boat that moves around the map and I don't think that alone would cause huge lag issues. Personally I rarely have any lag on the map. Can't blame the "outdated engine" forever, it gets better every patch. Try repairing your client by adding -repair to the command line and let it repair, don't click it away or something and check if that fixes things. It did for me when I had previous issues like that.

Personally, I think it has something to do with the giant inquest structure in th middle of the map, for which they had to modify how the engine would render all the other environment assets.

Basically they said they pushed the limits of their engine, which make it harder for the computer to load the map.

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> No one here is talking about lag.

>

> "just wondering if anyone ever dug into why Sandswept Isles was jumping to 100% CPU during the loading screen?"

Lol, read the title and not the last two words, my bad. Still holds true though.

Either way, during loading you'd expect to have some CPU usage, no? Depending on model that might mean 100%.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Before the new zones we were able to use the 32 bit client on the mac and now we have to use the 64 bit one. The 32 bit client still works in the new zones BUT you need to use the 64 bit one to get to the zone in the first place. This most likely means the assets and such getting into the new zones broke the 32 bit memory barrier. When you go through a gate to a new zone a lot of stuff gets loaded/allocated/initialized, although not the whole game. I suspect we finally just hit that point.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> The only thing technically challenging on the map itself would be the boat that moves around the map and I don't think that alone would cause huge lag issues. Personally I rarely have any lag on the map. Can't blame the "outdated engine" forever, it gets better every patch. Try repairing your client by adding -repair to the command line and let it repair, don't click it away or something and check if that fixes things. It did for me when I had previous issues like that.

I'm new..."adding -repair to the command line and let it repair, "...could ya explain further?

Thank you, much.

> @"MDove.2391" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > The only thing technically challenging on the map itself would be the boat that moves around the map and I don't think that alone would cause huge lag issues. Personally I rarely have any lag on the map. Can't blame the "outdated engine" forever, it gets better every patch. Try repairing your client by adding -repair to the command line and let it repair, don't click it away or something and check if that fixes things. It did for me when I had previous issues like that.

>

> I'm new..."adding -repair to the command line and let it repair, "...could ya explain further?

> Thank you, much.

>

>

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201863008-Repairing-the-Game-Client

Going by the graph of "loading" a map, the 100% load is something extra to the loading of the map (normal map load is spike to ~40% for a few secs, sandswept is spike to 100% for a few secs then spike to 40% for a few secs). Something is broken I suppose. It spike all 12 ht cores of my 8700K to 100% so it's not exactly just normal load.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> Why does it matter if CPU load goes to 100% for a moment? CPUs are designed to run 24/7 at 100% load for years.

If the CPU load of all tasks running on a computer totaled to 100% you would be fine. Typically it means the actual demand is >100 though, which means something is wrong and every task will run slower until it drops below 100 again.

BTW, running at 100% is not good even if there is no unfulfilled requests that have to wait. It means more heat which shortens the life of your computer.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > Why does it matter if CPU load goes to 100% for a moment? CPUs are designed to run 24/7 at 100% load for years.

>

> If the CPU load of all tasks running on a computer totaled to 100% you would be fine. Typically it means the actual demand is >100 though, which means something is wrong and every task will run slower until it drops below 100 again.

>

> BTW, running at 100% is not good even if there is no unfulfilled requests that have to wait. It means more heat which shortens the life of your computer.

Heat only kills cheap capacitors and inductors during the useful lifetime of a computer. The good stuff will survive heat for tens of thousand of hours. Like premium mainboards use capacitors rated for 10k hours at 125°C. Even if you overclock a lot those temps will not happen unless you invested nothing into cooling.

Really, this is a problem???...I never noticed, and I also have Chrome running at the same time(with many tabs), sometimes Steam and another game...and it doesn't take any longer to load in for me than any other map I go to, and I'm only using an Alienware Aurora R6.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > Why does it matter if CPU load goes to 100% for a moment? CPUs are designed to run 24/7 at 100% load for years.

> >

> > If the CPU load of all tasks running on a computer totaled to 100% you would be fine. Typically it means the actual demand is >100 though, which means something is wrong and every task will run slower until it drops below 100 again.

> >

> > BTW, running at 100% is not good even if there is no unfulfilled requests that have to wait. It means more heat which shortens the life of your computer.

> Heat only kills cheap capacitors and inductors during the useful lifetime of a computer. The good stuff will survive heat for tens of thousand of hours. Like premium mainboards use capacitors rated for 10k hours at 125°C. Even if you overclock a lot those temps will not happen unless you invested nothing into cooling.

HA HA HA HAH HA HA HA!!!!!!!

Did you ever wonder why most computers have some sort of active cooling (like a fan) rather than just running hot all the time? Why professional server rooms often have cooling towers? I am pretty sure people building systems using water cooling do not skimp on the parts!

The map indeed is much heavier than any other map and sometimes even crashes on load when loading it multiple times in a short time. I tend to park few alts on new maps at some farmable places and log through them quickly and this map is the only one causing problems.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > > Why does it matter if CPU load goes to 100% for a moment? CPUs are designed to run 24/7 at 100% load for years.

> > >

> > > If the CPU load of all tasks running on a computer totaled to 100% you would be fine. Typically it means the actual demand is >100 though, which means something is wrong and every task will run slower until it drops below 100 again.

> > >

> > > BTW, running at 100% is not good even if there is no unfulfilled requests that have to wait. It means more heat which shortens the life of your computer.

> > Heat only kills cheap capacitors and inductors during the useful lifetime of a computer. The good stuff will survive heat for tens of thousand of hours. Like premium mainboards use capacitors rated for 10k hours at 125°C. Even if you overclock a lot those temps will not happen unless you invested nothing into cooling.

>

> HA HA HA HAH HA HA HA!!!!!!!

>

> Did you ever wonder why most computers have some sort of active cooling (like a fan) rather than just running hot all the time? Why professional server rooms often have cooling towers? I am pretty sure people building systems using water cooling do not skimp on the parts!

Huh? I literally said "unless you invested nothing into cooling". I have 7 140mm fans in case and radiators + a 95mm RAM cooler + 2 fans on the GPU. So heat is basically a non existant issue for me.