In Praise of Mount Idle Animations

> @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > The Raptor's idle animations are my favorite, especially when we give him that "What the heck?" look after he tries to shake us off.

>

> Raptor overall has my favorites, but I like how the griffon has one being a bird (preening) and one being a cat (stretching).

I've noticed with the griffon, what the griffon and rider do are often the same. Rider looks to the right, griffon looks right: rider looks left, griffon looks left: rider stretches, griffon stretches.

But, yeah, the raptor definitely got the lion's share of personality. Not even just when idle, either. Love how it looks off to the side while running and makes noises, as if it's seen something interesting.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> The Raptor's idle animations are my favorite, especially when we give him that "What the heck?" look after he tries to shake us off.

Heh you know what, I did not notice this until like a month after PoF launched and I thought it was hilarious :)

Agreed, I love them too.

It's little details like this that I really enjoy in games. It makes the mounts feel much more like actual animals than simply a game mechanic with a fancy skin on top. (And it's less impractical than other ways of doing that like requiring us to feed them and muck out the stables.) It makes the mounts, and the world, feel more alive. Plus it's a nice little 'easter egg' to discover. After I noticed the raptor did it I made a point of standing skill on each mount to see what they did too.

> @"X T D.6458" said:

> > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > The Raptor's idle animations are my favorite, especially when we give him that "What the heck?" look after he tries to shake us off.

>

> Heh you know what, I did not notice this until like a month after PoF launched and I thought it was hilarious :)

I didn't notice it till I read about it on the forum some time ago. But my main is Asura, it's much more noticeable with the larger races. Seeing it with my big Charr in the saddle cracks me up.

I absolutely love the Springer.

The Springer is in general a adorable pet/mount (except for the supposedly huge nesquik-like dung balls he drops. Anyone of you own(ed) a rabbit? You gotta know what I mean...)

![](https://i.imgur.com/hZ1AqfE.png "")

The sniffing, the cleaning animation, the sound effects in various pitch and speed, the ear movement and the cute little "forearms" gently touching the ground when walking slowly. I literally just use the springer, because many cliffs can also be jumped over with the springer from a higher space because of the falling damage mastery. Also, we big-eared creatures must stick together.

Even though sometimes he might come too close to the camera.

![](https://i.imgur.com/KrVDWbs.png "")

In general he could be put on a cereal box. Who needs Tony the Tiger when you have **SKIP THE SPRINGER?**

![](https://i.imgur.com/UYAUeM7.png "")

Excelsior.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > @"X T D.6458" said:

> > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > The Raptor's idle animations are my favorite, especially when we give him that "What the heck?" look after he tries to shake us off.

> >

> > Heh you know what, I did not notice this until like a month after PoF launched and I thought it was hilarious :)

>

> I didn't notice it till I read about it on the forum some time ago. But my main is Asura, it's much more noticeable with the larger races. Seeing it with my big Charr in the saddle cracks me up.

Heh I was on my norn so close enough ;)