do u want a love interest for ur hero?

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> after 10(?) or so years of saving Tyria, i feel like my hero is lonely and deserves a love interest... i hope soon we are blessed with the ability to choose one of the companion...

>

> what are your thoughts? this would also go nicely with in game marriage.

>

>

> BONUS question: why are there no interracial couples in gw2?

Stop trying to bring reality in video games! If you want a love interest, then go outside and meet a real person whom you want to marry.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Hoodie.1045" said:

> > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > after 10(?) or so years of saving Tyria, i feel like my hero is lonely and deserves a love interest... i hope soon we are blessed with the ability to choose one of the companion...

> >

> > what are your thoughts? this would also go nicely with in game marriage.

> >

> >

> > BONUS question: why are there no interracial couples in gw2?

>

> Stop trying to bring reality in video games! If you want a love interest, then go outside and meet a real person whom you want to marry.

Playing devil's advocate here, what if I see my character as not simply a way to project myself into the game world but a character in their own right? Should no one ever fall in love in books if the author is already in a relationship? Should they all only fall in love with people who are based on the authors real-life partner? Or should they have their own story, entirely independent of what their creator is doing in their personal life? Why is it any different for a character in a game?

I'm married to my husband in real life and very happy with that situation. But my 11 GW2 characters are not, they don't even know he exists and aren't even in the same reality. Their love lives are an entirely separate thing from mine and the status of one does not affect the status of another. (Just like how they will kill people who oppose them, or just slow them down, but that doesn't mean I would ever even consider killing someone in real life.)

I guess this is one of those things where people see their characters very differently. I don't think the fact that I'm sometimes playing as a male charr means I want to be male or a cat in real life, and even my human female character isn't anything like me. But to other people their character is simply them inserted into the game world and has to mirror them (or their ideal self) as closely as possible. Neither approach is right or wrong, just different, and in situations like this they need different options to accomodate them.

But that's one reason I think things like romantic interests are best left to players to role-play themselves if they wish, rather than Anet trying to build an automated system to suit everyone.

No... I have no time for that lovey dovey nonsense! I bought this game so that I could get invested into the story and enjoy game play! If I wanted a dating simulator I would play a dating simulator. Leave it to the role playing community with this love interest shenanigans because I am not interested in it at all.

> @"mbhalo.1547" said:

> Waifu Wars 2 could be nice. I mean look at Dragon Age series, romance was pretty big thing there.

Yeah, but that was BioWare. They have a long history of writing stories where character relationships are a big part of the story. Here, I think it is kind of late for that. "You know, there's the threat of a new Scarab Plague, there's an overpowered Kralkatorrik on the loose and we have almost upset the balance of magic in the world to the point of catastrophic failure, but I can only think of your eyes". Yeah, well... I figure it would be hard to buy that.

> @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> Not sure why there are two "no" answers so I'll just say "no." I'm not interested.

I took it as "no, my character would like a relationship one day but not now" and "no, my character would not ever want a romantic relationship".

Or out of universe 'no it doesn't fit the kind of story Anet are telling' and 'no I don't want to see that in games'.

> @"mbhalo.1547" said:

> Waifu & Husbandos Wars 2 could be nice. I mean look at Dragon Age series, romance was pretty big thing there.

Corrected.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > Not sure why there are two "no" answers so I'll just say "no." I'm not interested.

>

> I took it as "no, my character would like a relationship one day but not now" and "no, my character would not ever want a romantic relationship".

Exactly... kids these days can't read between the lines anymore

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > > Not sure why there are two "no" answers so I'll just say "no." I'm not interested.

> >

> > I took it as "no, my character would like a relationship one day but not now" and "no, my character would not ever want a romantic relationship".

>

> Exactly... kids these days can't read between the lines anymore

Why such a condescending tone ?? Especially when it's obvious to most here that there was nothing "between the lines" to read and that it was just a joke really... Dude...

I would be open for it just to see what happens, but no love interests with any of the guild mates (Rox, Brham, ect - you get my point).

But I feel in the end the Commander getting love would end...badly. While it would be something interesting to work on and open new possibilities with story and character development - in the end enemies would and could use it against you and it would just end up with another dead character and a pissed off player.

> @"Fraghound.5730" said:

> I would be open for it just to see what happens, but no love interests with any of the guild mates (Rox, Brham, ect - you get my point).

>

> But I feel in the end the Commander getting love would end...badly. While it would be something interesting to work on and open new possibilities with story and character development - in the end enemies would and could use it against you and it would just end up with another dead character and a pissed off player.

well spoiler alert... but didn't they already used joko to kidnap taimi to blackmail the commander, but the comm of course ended up saving her.