[Suggestion] Barefoot?

> @"costepj.5120" said:

> The usual solution for going barefoot is surely to remove your boots?

Yes, it's optional to go barefoot -no boots, or pants for that matter:

_I like to call this the "pants optional" argument - no MMO I am aware of has a mandatory requirement that characters wear pants, but very few players opt to go pantless. The choice technically exists, but is largely uninteresting, as there is almost always (*) no benefit to going without pants and the player would then be obligated to upgrade the rest of their gear to off-set the stats from the missing leggings_

_...If paying customers feel like they are obligated to do something that they do not believe is fun, it does not matter if the customer is theoretically incorrect._

- [Player Versus Developer](http://playervsdeveloper.blogspot.com/2012/11/optional-is-new-hard.html "Player Versus Developer")

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > That was asked for multiple times. ANet’s answer is invisible boots you can’t craft and with an abysmal drop rate so that it’s not something you can readily get.

> > > >

> > > > You can readily get slippers from TP :wink: :

> > > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Invisible_Slippers

> > > >

> > >

> > > 1) there’s all of 5 on the trading post. Unless you’re arguing that 5 slippers is enough to supply everyone who wants invisible shoes then it’s not readily available.

> > > 2) the lowest price is 2800 gold. Unless you’re arguing that that’s a price that’s easily available to all who want to buy these slippers then it’s not readily available.

> >

> > Just to counter the "you can use your credit card so it's available" argument: 2800g would currently cost €180.

> >

> > So yeah technically, you can buy it, but practically speaking no, you can't.

>

> Your comment about real money to gold conversion does not support your statement that, "practically speaking, no you can't," buy the item.

Yes it does because spending that much money for "invisible" shoes in a video game is not practical i.e. not sensible or realistic.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > That was asked for multiple times. ANet’s answer is invisible boots you can’t craft and with an abysmal drop rate so that it’s not something you can readily get.

> > > > >

> > > > > You can readily get slippers from TP :wink: :

> > > > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Invisible_Slippers

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > 1) there’s all of 5 on the trading post. Unless you’re arguing that 5 slippers is enough to supply everyone who wants invisible shoes then it’s not readily available.

> > > > 2) the lowest price is 2800 gold. Unless you’re arguing that that’s a price that’s easily available to all who want to buy these slippers then it’s not readily available.

> > >

> > > Just to counter the "you can use your credit card so it's available" argument: 2800g would currently cost €180.

> > >

> > > So yeah technically, you can buy it, but practically speaking no, you can't.

> >

> > Your comment about real money to gold conversion does not support your statement that, "practically speaking, no you can't," buy the item.

>

> Yes it does because spending that much money for "invisible" shoes in a video game is not practical i.e. not sensible or realistic.

Spending a couple hundred euros, pounds, or dollars on one's preferred hobby is quite sensible and/or realistic.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > That was asked for multiple times. ANet’s answer is invisible boots you can’t craft and with an abysmal drop rate so that it’s not something you can readily get.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You can readily get slippers from TP :wink: :

> > > > > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Invisible_Slippers

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > 1) there’s all of 5 on the trading post. Unless you’re arguing that 5 slippers is enough to supply everyone who wants invisible shoes then it’s not readily available.

> > > > > 2) the lowest price is 2800 gold. Unless you’re arguing that that’s a price that’s easily available to all who want to buy these slippers then it’s not readily available.

> > > >

> > > > Just to counter the "you can use your credit card so it's available" argument: 2800g would currently cost €180.

> > > >

> > > > So yeah technically, you can buy it, but practically speaking no, you can't.

> > >

> > > Your comment about real money to gold conversion does not support your statement that, "practically speaking, no you can't," buy the item.

> >

> > Yes it does because spending that much money for "invisible" shoes in a video game is not practical i.e. not sensible or realistic.

>

> Spending a couple hundred euros, pounds, or dollars on one's preferred hobby is quite sensible and/or realistic.

For invisible shoes (i.e. the _absence_ of a skin) it's really not. Look I get that you want to "win" here so yeah sure, you're right, it's a great idea! Anyone who wants the ability to turn off their shoes should definitely either farm the 9000 or so gold required in game or else spend 5-6 hundred bucks on the lack of skins required. It's practical and sensible!

> @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said:

> > > Ah, I was unaware of the invisible boot box. I haven't fought one of those mushrooms yet because everytime someone calls one out on the map and I reply "WAIT I'M COMING I NEED IT", by the time I get there, even if it's right by a WP, they've killed it...

> >

> > Go to Bloodstone Fen. The treasure mushroom there is much easier to find. It's almost straight down from the airship, and the foes around it are (usually) much easier to deal with than the Mordrem (partly because they are less numerous).

>

> Will do when I'm there. I'm only at Auric Basin now in the story. Holding off on going further as I'm waiting on my friend catching up.

Caution, while this may not be factual there was a definite belief/feeling around the time of Bloodstone Fen's release that the invisible footwear was not on that mushroom's loot table. I don't recall if that was based on rigorous testing, on ANet comments, or just on anecdotal "no one has seen this very rare drop off this mushroom ergo this mushroom does not drop this extremely rare thing."

First, we complain that there aren't enough things in the game that are worth farming specific content: the drop rates are too high or the skins aren't interesting enough. When we do have unusual drops, we complain that they aren't accessible. We complain when ecto is too dear and when it's too cheap.

Essentially, ANet's decided that walking around in barefeet is the fashion wars equivalent of wielding a legendary weapon: coveted skin, expensive to obtain. Only those who really want it (or have more dollars than sense) are going to devote their coin to unlocking these.

We should all be okay with that sort of thing, _if_ we want there to be some amount of exciting drops in the game, even if we're very unhappy that this is the item chosen for special treatment.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> First, we complain that there aren't enough things in the game that are worth farming specific content: the drop rates are too high or the skins aren't interesting enough. When we do have unusual drops, we complain that they aren't accessible. We complain when ecto is too dear and when it's too cheap.

You seem to be lumping everyone together there, you should be aware that different people want different things by now.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > First, we complain that there aren't enough things in the game that are worth farming specific content: the drop rates are too high or the skins aren't interesting enough. When we do have unusual drops, we complain that they aren't accessible. We complain when ecto is too dear and when it's too cheap.

>

> You seem to be lumping everyone together there, you should be aware that different people want different things by now.

>

Actually, that's the point: because "we" want different things, it's impossible for ANet to make "us" happy: there's always someone (lots & lots of someones) who will object to any specific item being hard-to-obtain, by their definition of hard-to-obtain.

That is: the people complaining are already lumping everyone else into their preference group — as a community, we don't easily accept that we don't all want the same things.

> @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said:

> So we all know Queen Jenna likes to feel the ground beneath her feet, but what about us players who like to go barefoot? Would be neat if we could hide our boots. We can already hide gloves, shoulder and helmets.

Why? Why of all other things would you ever want this to be a feature in the game? Why would you ever go barefoot? Do you want to catch a splinter in Maguuma or burn your feet in the Crystal Dessert?

> I see where you're coming from but you're not quite correct with terminology.

> "_Readily available_" would mean if logged into the game right now on a brand new acc, could I get them? The answer is - Yes. Sure I'd need a bit of gold, but that technically can be done in a couple of minutes via bank card and conversion of gems to gold. Now if they were account bound, that would be a different story.

> Just saying that there are no barriers to access this item, just a price which some might not be prepared to pay.

> Now this isn't to say that this item is always readily available, but right now it is.

This sounds like a trolling type comment to me, since the actual definitions of 'readily' and 'available' do not match up with the above usage.

'Readily' : without hesitation or reluctance; willingly. "he readily admits that the new car surpasses its predecessors"

synonyms: willingly, without hesitation, unhesitatingly, ungrudgingly, gladly, happily, eagerly, promptly "Durkin readily offered to drive him"

without delay or difficulty; easily. "illegal fireworks are readily available"

synonyms: easily, with ease, without difficulty "the island is readily accessible"

'Available' : able to be used or obtained; at someone's disposal. "refreshments will be available all afternoon"

synonyms: obtainable, accessible, at hand, at one's disposal, handy, convenient;

2800 gold (i.e. 180 Euros)(i.e. $215 USD) may be 'available', but it is not 'readily' so for an invisible product in a digital game for the majority of players. Trolls and the Uber Rich excepted, since they are the only ones who might do so "willingly, without hesitation, unhesitatingly, ungrudgingly, gladly, happily, eagerly, promptly".

> @"Hoodie.1045" said:

> > @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said:

> > So we all know Queen Jenna likes to feel the ground beneath her feet, but what about us players who like to go barefoot? Would be neat if we could hide our boots. We can already hide gloves, shoulder and helmets.

>

> Why? Why of all other things would you ever want this to be a feature in the game? Why would you ever go barefoot? Do you want to catch a splinter in Maguuma or burn your feet in the Crystal Dessert?

Pretty Sylvari are resistant to splinters =)

> @"Elva.6372" said:

> > @"costepj.5120" said:

> > The usual solution for going barefoot is surely to remove your boots?

>

> Yes, it's optional to go barefoot -no boots, or pants for that matter:

>

> _I like to call this the "pants optional" argument - no MMO I am aware of has a mandatory requirement that characters wear pants, but very few players opt to go pantless. The choice technically exists, but is largely uninteresting, as there is almost always (*) no benefit to going without pants and the player would then be obligated to upgrade the rest of their gear to off-set the stats from the missing leggings_

In SWTOR, if you want to go around in your skivvies, you wear "Covert Energy" armour ( == invisible skin) for chest/gloves/belt/boots/wrists on males, or gloves/belt/boots/wrists on females; hide your helmet; and you wear the "basic underwear" set for the remaining locations.(0) The basic underwear set is a set of underwear shorts (male) or panties and chest (female) that by default looks just like the default "naked" skivvies, _but can be dyed_. That last part is important - the default shorts are "granny pants" and the default bra-top is a sports bra, in **GREY**, and while you can't get rid of the granny pants/sports bra aspect, you can at least change the colour.(1)

(0) There is not a "Covert Energy Pants" piece.

(1) And on females of the white-skinned (not pink-called-white, but actually white, although the males are a very pale grey) Rattataki species, you can, indeed, dye your basic underwear white. It's pretty effective at making your female Rattataki character look naked at a distance. It should be fairly obvious how I know that.

I really do wish a shoe toggle is a thing as well. I want my Ranger to really feel like she's apart of nature. And nothing says that like barefooted. Sure you can buy the invisible boots on the TP if you wanna hand over a hefty amount of gold. It really seems rather silly though simply due to the drop rate. Which is nigh impossible to get. I guess for now just run around without a 6th armor piece if you want.

> @"Jenny.7806" said:

> > I see where you're coming from but you're not quite correct with terminology.

> > "_Readily available_" would mean if logged into the game right now on a brand new acc, could I get them? The answer is - Yes. Sure I'd need a bit of gold, but that technically can be done in a couple of minutes via bank card and conversion of gems to gold. Now if they were account bound, that would be a different story.

> > Just saying that there are no barriers to access this item, just a price which some might not be prepared to pay.

> > Now this isn't to say that this item is always readily available, but right now it is.

>

> This sounds like a trolling type comment to me, since the actual definitions of 'readily' and 'available' do not match up with the above usage.

> 'Readily' : without hesitation or reluctance; willingly. "he readily admits that the new car surpasses its predecessors"

> synonyms: willingly, without hesitation, unhesitatingly, ungrudgingly, gladly, happily, eagerly, promptly "Durkin readily offered to drive him"

> without delay or difficulty; easily. "illegal fireworks are readily available"

> synonyms: easily, with ease, without difficulty "the island is readily accessible"

>

> 'Available' : able to be used or obtained; at someone's disposal. "refreshments will be available all afternoon"

> synonyms: obtainable, accessible, at hand, at one's disposal, handy, convenient;

>

> 2800 gold (i.e. 180 Euros)(i.e. $215 USD) may be 'available', but it is not 'readily' so for an invisible product in a digital game for the majority of players. Trolls and the Uber Rich excepted, since they are the only ones who might do so "willingly, without hesitation, unhesitatingly, ungrudgingly, gladly, happily, eagerly, promptly".

*sigh*

You choosing to interpret the English language in your own way doesnt make **my** comment invalid. I have already stated that I don't disagree that there is a hefty price-tag on the item but the meaning of that phrase has nothing to do with cost.

_readily:

adverb:~

without delay_

Q:Can I log into the game and acquire this item without delay?

A:Yes.

Unless you are stating that the delay is in using your credit card, which I don't see as much of a hinderance if you set your sights on item.

Your reference to reluctance/willingness/hesitation is irrelevant because the item cannot be _reluctant_. You address the point that not everyone will be "willing" to pay the price, my statement is simply that the item exists on the market and can be acquired(at the time of posting).

In the future, try to avoid calling people out if you don't fully understand what you've read.

> @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > @"Jenny.7806" said:

> > > I see where you're coming from but you're not quite correct with terminology.

> > > "_Readily available_" would mean if logged into the game right now on a brand new acc, could I get them? The answer is - Yes. Sure I'd need a bit of gold, but that technically can be done in a couple of minutes via bank card and conversion of gems to gold. Now if they were account bound, that would be a different story.

> > > Just saying that there are no barriers to access this item, just a price which some might not be prepared to pay.

> > > Now this isn't to say that this item is always readily available, but right now it is.

> >

> > This sounds like a trolling type comment to me, since the actual definitions of 'readily' and 'available' do not match up with the above usage.

> > 'Readily' : without hesitation or reluctance; willingly. "he readily admits that the new car surpasses its predecessors"

> > synonyms: willingly, without hesitation, unhesitatingly, ungrudgingly, gladly, happily, eagerly, promptly "Durkin readily offered to drive him"

> > without delay or difficulty; easily. "illegal fireworks are readily available"

> > synonyms: easily, with ease, without difficulty "the island is readily accessible"

> >

> > 'Available' : able to be used or obtained; at someone's disposal. "refreshments will be available all afternoon"

> > synonyms: obtainable, accessible, at hand, at one's disposal, handy, convenient;

> >

> > 2800 gold (i.e. 180 Euros)(i.e. $215 USD) may be 'available', but it is not 'readily' so for an invisible product in a digital game for the majority of players. Trolls and the Uber Rich excepted, since they are the only ones who might do so "willingly, without hesitation, unhesitatingly, ungrudgingly, gladly, happily, eagerly, promptly".

>

> *sigh*

> You choosing to interpret the English language in your own way doesnt make **my** comment invalid. I have already stated that I don't disagree that there is a hefty price-tag on the item but the meaning of that phrase has nothing to do with cost.

> _readily:

> adverb:~

> without delay_

>

> Q:Can I log into the game and acquire this item without delay?

> A:Yes.

>

> Unless you are stating that the delay is in using your credit card, which I don't see as much of a hinderance if you set your sights on item.

>

> Your reference to reluctance/willingness/hesitation is irrelevant because the item cannot be _reluctant_. You address the point that not everyone will be "willing" to pay the price, my statement is simply that the item exists on the market and can be acquired(at the time of posting).

>

> In the future, try to avoid calling people out if you don't fully understand what you've read.

Actually NO you cannot log in and acquire these for the only ones on the market are for light armor. There are none for medium or heavy.

> @"artemis.6781" said:

>

> Actually NO you cannot log in and acquire these for the only ones on the market are for light armor. There are none for medium or heavy.

There's a secret way to acquire the boots, even if they aren't for sale. You just have to put in the highest bid. The secret is, it has to be the highest bid out of all 3 armor weights. That's how I got my pair for about 2k gold.

Put up the cash, and wait for somebody to get the drop. Anybody. Either they'll risk selling high and pay exorbitant taxes on something that may never sell, or they take the best offer on the table.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > > That was asked for multiple times. ANet’s answer is invisible boots you can’t craft and with an abysmal drop rate so that it’s not something you can readily get.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You can readily get slippers from TP :wink: :

> > > > > > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Invisible_Slippers

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > 1) there’s all of 5 on the trading post. Unless you’re arguing that 5 slippers is enough to supply everyone who wants invisible shoes then it’s not readily available.

> > > > > > 2) the lowest price is 2800 gold. Unless you’re arguing that that’s a price that’s easily available to all who want to buy these slippers then it’s not readily available.

> > > > >

> > > > > Just to counter the "you can use your credit card so it's available" argument: 2800g would currently cost €180.

> > > > >

> > > > > So yeah technically, you can buy it, but practically speaking no, you can't.

> > > >

> > > > Your comment about real money to gold conversion does not support your statement that, "practically speaking, no you can't," buy the item.

> > >

> > > Yes it does because spending that much money for "invisible" shoes in a video game is not practical i.e. not sensible or realistic.

> >

> > Spending a couple hundred euros, pounds, or dollars on one's preferred hobby is quite sensible and/or realistic.

>

> For invisible shoes (i.e. the _absence_ of a skin) it's really not. Look I get that you want to "win" here so yeah sure, you're right, it's a great idea! Anyone who wants the ability to turn off their shoes should definitely either farm the 9000 or so gold required in game or else spend 5-6 hundred bucks on the lack of skins required. It's practical and sensible!

>

You started out speaking for others circumstances and so I responded in kind. I never said it was a, "great idea."

180 is not 600. Even still 180, or 600, is more practical for some than 10 might be for others.

Personally I wouldnt buy this particular skin at all, or perhaps a few silver at mos5, but I would he willing to spend 180 on a skin in principle. Spending gaming budgeted funds on something related to enjoying my gaming time is reasonable to me.