Why are store promotions allergic to pay days?

Constructive criticism:

It would be really nice if the days selected for in game shop promotions ran through fridays-- the day most people get their work paychecks. It's been several times now I've missed out on purchasing items because I planned to buy gems when my paycheck hit the bank, but the sales are over by then. So I spend my fun money elsewhere. :/

> @"Sarpan.9074" said:

> Seems like a great opportunity to learn how to budget, both in game and IRL. It's a valuable life skill.

Not only that, but I find it unusual that if you're doing direct deposit it actually hits your bank on a Friday, not saying it doesn't just finding it unusual...most places, unless it's a small business that have direct deposit(that is what it sounds like you have based on how you wrote your post) will deposit the money for those employees a day or two before those that get paper paychecks...at least that has been my experience.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"Sarpan.9074" said:

> > Seems like a great opportunity to learn how to budget, both in game and IRL. It's a valuable life skill.

>

> Not only that, but I find it unusual that if you're doing direct deposit it actually hits your bank on a Friday, not saying it doesn't just finding it unusual...most places, unless it's a small business that have direct deposit(that is what it sounds like you have based on how you wrote your post) will deposit the money for those employees a day or two before those that get paper paychecks...at least that has been my experience.

Expanding on that idea...

A lot of employees of various government agencies get paid on the 1st and the 15th or 16th. Some of my employers paid on set days of the month. The "pay is Friday" is a historical artifact of when most banking was done face-to-face, when most paychecks were on paper.

I'm sure there are still a big fraction of people who get paid on Fridays in the US and some EU nations. But it's not necessarily the case. And it might not be in the best interest of the game (or its community) to schedule as if it were the only payday.

Plus, as others have mentioned, if you budget a set amount of dollars|pounds|euros each month, you'll always have some gems to spend on impulse purchases.

I get paid on the 4th Wednesday and the 6th-8th of every month. My son gets paid every other Tuesday. (Both are direct deposit.) I'm not sure the 'Friday-payday' is still such a big thing.

Regardless, if items in the Gem Store are something you desire often, you can always purchase Gems when you have the money to spare, and save them until the item(s) you want appear.

Good luck.

> @"Syren.6482" said:

> Constructive criticism:

> It would be really nice if the days selected for in game shop promotions ran through fridays-- the day most people get their work paychecks. It's been several times now I've missed out on purchasing items because I planned to buy gems when my paycheck hit the bank, but the sales are over by then. So I spend my fun money elsewhere. :/

Anet are a global company and it is impossible to time it to pay days given every company in every country does things differently. Friday is not a standard pay day. It is however...the start of my working week.....useless trivia that is!!

This all boils down to your personal budgeting not ANETs ability to mind read when everyone gets their paycheck.

I pay my own wages and those who I employ on the 3rd of each month (or Friday before if it falls on a weekend), but some people get paid on a different date or a calendar based system meaning it can be a different day each month (2 day different each month iirc). Some are paid weekly, likely meaning a Friday so it might work for them, but bottom line is if you budget your allocation for the month and spend it wisely each week knowing there is something likely to drop into the shop, then you wont be caught short. Maybe even save a few of those gems for a rainy day as me ole ma used to say :)

I'm another one who doesn't (always) get paid on Fridays. I get paid on the 15th of every month, regardless of what day of the week that is. (Weirdly even if it's Sunday, I didn't think UK banks did anything on Sundays', but I guess it's all automated these days.) I have had jobs where I was almost always paid on a Friday, but even then it varied, sometimes it was the first week of the month, sometimes the last, sometimes 2 weeks in...I assume there was a reason for each choice but no one ever told me what it was.

I always try to put off non-essential purchases that aren't time-sensitive until just _before_ I get paid, so I keep the money in my account in case something more important/urgent comes along - like unexpected and limited time gem store items, or a concert I didn't hear about in advance. Kind of similar to the people who say they buy gems when they get paid and then hold onto them until an item they want is released, except I keep it as real-world cash because then I can spend it on things outside the game too.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Syren.6482" said:

> > Constructive criticism:

> > It would be really nice if the days selected for in game shop promotions ran through fridays-- the day most people get their work paychecks. It's been several times now I've missed out on purchasing items because I planned to buy gems when my paycheck hit the bank, but the sales are over by then. So I spend my fun money elsewhere. :/

>

> Anet are a global company and it is impossible to time it to pay days given every company in every country does things differently. Friday is not a standard pay day. It is however...the start of my working week.....useless trivia that is!!

Yeah, basically this... I've only actually ever worked one job that paid on a Friday myself (My current one, every week). I've had Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays... Turns out a lot of businesses start their work week on what day works best for them from a financial perspective (My current job starts its work week on Saturday because that is the strongest day of the week financially speaking, my last job started the work week on Friday so we got paid Thursday, etc.) Not every job I have worked did their pay weekly, or even every other week. One was once a month, some people get paid by quarter, some by contract, etc.