ANET why u do this to me

> @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > @"DarthFurby.3970" said:

> > > @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > > > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > > > > @"DarthFurby.3970" said:

> > > > > > @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > > > > > > What Naturo mount? I only see the Japanese mythical kitsune mount. ;)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > yeah kitsune is the right word! i was looking for... but im so bad at remembering words and names so i just called it the closest thing i know of lol... which is the naruto thingo

> > > > >

> > > > > Personally I go with kyubi, which is a nine tailed fox, usually a demon or spirit. Kitsune can be used but traditionally it just refers to a fox without connotation to the amount of tails.

> > > >

> > > Yes, kitsune is the common Japanese word for fox, but it also refers to the mythological creature. Kyube, by the way, is not a demon at all. In fact, according to legend, seeing a Kyube no Kitsune actually brings good look. However, the entities referred to as kitsune, instead of kyube no kitsune, can be demons (yako) but don't necessarily have to be (zenko). They are also connected to Inari and serve as her messengers. Kitsune usually grow more tails as they grow older, starting with one. When they finally do get their ninth tail, the are often referred to as Tenko, or celestial fox.

> > >

> >

> > Not arguing here but just for the sake of discussion isn't demon translated a bit differently in Japanese folklore? It refers to more of a spiritual entity, that doesn't necessarily have to be malicious or evil in nature? I have watched a show (anime) where there were luck demons or positive spirits that were referred to as spirits and demons or yokai as well, though I might be mistaken.

> >

> > Also for context most of the anime I watch are subbed so the language is more or less intact.

> >

> >

>

> Well, first of all, there are different names for the same thing in Japanese. Names like bakemono, ayakashi and others all refer to yokai as well. And yokai aren't the only demons/evil spirits in Japanese myth, but a specific kind. Anime isn't the best reference for learning about Japanese myth, but it's a good way to get you interested. But taking the lore of any specific anime as an accurate depiction of Japanese folklore isn't the best way to go about it. They do tend to use artistic freedom to make it into their own thing, or just take something from legend as a basis, not a carbon copy. But good and evil in Japanese myth are a lot less black and white than they tend to be in western mythology, especially after Christianity. There are many spiritual entities in Japanese mythology. Yokai are just one of them.

>

> Fun GW2 related facts: a tengu is a kind of yokai. We also have an Oni Blade in the game, the oni being another kind of yokai (the trolls of Japanese myth).

>

Yea, I agree with that and understand. There is a great deal of variance in how the English language and Japanese language refer to the same and different things. Also for context the show was Natsume's Book of friends, might want to check it out if you haven't. It deals with a great deal of yokai and a boy doing his best to help them out. Haven't finished watching it as it's rather heavy on the slice of life aspects.

Though I believe the boy's main yokai helper (if you can call it that) is a giant kitsune.

Also interesting but I was mostly aware of those in game things.

> It's called a shrine guardian because in Japanese myth that is one of the things they do, protect Inari's shrines. It's not a translation of an actual name in Japanese, it's just an accurate description of one of the tasks they are known for. They also guard against other fox spirits, the ones that do not serve Inari (called nogitsune). Sure, they could've given it a Japanese name, but it would mean nothing to the majority of GW2's community. It's a game made in the US for the international market. For accessibility, using a universal language makes the most sense. Purists can prefer a more traditional name (part of me does), but that won't give it any context for those who do not speak Japanese or are not prone to do their research and Google stuff (and their are loads of those people in the world). Besides, if you see how Americans treat their anime (dubbing instead of subbing), are you really surprised?

I can't say I am. I don't hate dubbing, but I don't like it when I'm so used to subbing lol. Also the dubs are sometimes really weird, like the translation is too literal and it just becomes funny when you're aware that something should not be translated that way.

Anyway, loving this short background info on the kitsune

> @"Mea.5491" said:

> I got a 25 key pack for the new gloves, accidentally got the Jackal skin too. I must admit it's really nice but I don't understand the anime references. :astonished:

It's not an anime reference specifically. The kitsune which seems to be the basis for this is from Japanese (and Chinese) folklore. It's just one of those myths which has retained it's popularity and so appears in a lot of modern things as well, often without explanation as it's assumed anyone in Japan will be familiar with it.

But it's no more an anime reference than the dragons are a reference to WoW or Lord of the Rings or anything else which also features dragons.

> @"DarthFurby.3970" said:

> > @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> >

> > Well, first of all, there are different names for the same thing in Japanese. Names like bakemono, ayakashi and others all refer to yokai as well. And yokai aren't the only demons/evil spirits in Japanese myth, but a specific kind. Anime isn't the best reference for learning about Japanese myth, but it's a good way to get you interested. But taking the lore of any specific anime as an accurate depiction of Japanese folklore isn't the best way to go about it. They do tend to use artistic freedom to make it into their own thing, or just take something from legend as a basis, not a carbon copy. But good and evil in Japanese myth are a lot less black and white than they tend to be in western mythology, especially after Christianity. There are many spiritual entities in Japanese mythology. Yokai are just one of them.

> >

> > Fun GW2 related facts: a tengu is a kind of yokai. We also have an Oni Blade in the game, the oni being another kind of yokai (the trolls of Japanese myth).

> >

>

> Yea, I agree with that and understand. There is a great deal of variance in how the English language and Japanese language refer to the same and different things. Also for context the show was Natsume's Book of friends, might want to check it out if you haven't. It deals with a great deal of yokai and a boy doing his best to help them out. Haven't finished watching it as it's rather heavy on the slice of life aspects.

>

> Though I believe the boy's main yokai helper (if you can call it that) is a giant kitsune.

>

> Also interesting but I was mostly aware of those in game things.

I haven't seen Natsume's Book of Friends yet, but it sounds interesting. I personally do not mind it being heavy with its subjects. Those are usually the kind of anime I watch anyway (Wolf's Rain, Witch Hunter Robin, Gilgamesh, Ayakashi, to name but a few).

You can consider yokai an umbrella term for lots of spiritual creatures in Japanese myth, kitsune being one of them. And that is why anime will never be a good reference if you want to learn about Japanese mythology. They use the terms, but they don't define them as their mythology does, but incopororate it into the lore of their fictional universe. But it is a great starting point. If I hadn't already been interested in the world's mythology, anime would definitely have put me on the track to checking out Japan's legends.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> > What Naturo mount? I only see the Japanese mythical kitsune mount. ;)

>

> Looks more like a [sun goddess](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaterasu_(%C5%8Ckami) "sun goddess") to me...

That probably because of the game Okami, where there's a character called Amaterasu who takes the shape of a white wolf. As far as I know, the actual Japanese sun goddess, Amaterasu, is not specifically associated with either wolves of foxes/kitsune and she's mostly depicted as a woman.

> > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > > What Naturo mount? I only see the Japanese mythical kitsune mount. ;)

> >

> > Looks more like a [sun goddess](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaterasu_(%C5%8Ckami) "sun goddess") to me...

>

> That probably because of the game Okami, where there's a character called Amaterasu who takes the shape of a white wolf. As far as I know, the actual Japanese sun goddess, Amaterasu, is not specifically associated with either wolves of foxes/kitsune and she's mostly depicted as a woman.

Are you seriously explaining the link I posted back to me?

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > > @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > > > What Naturo mount? I only see the Japanese mythical kitsune mount. ;)

> > >

> > > Looks more like a [sun goddess](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaterasu_(%C5%8Ckami) "sun goddess") to me...

> >

> > That probably because of the game Okami, where there's a character called Amaterasu who takes the shape of a white wolf. As far as I know, the actual Japanese sun goddess, Amaterasu, is not specifically associated with either wolves of foxes/kitsune and she's mostly depicted as a woman.

>

> Are you seriously explaining the link I posted back to me?

Yes, because the Japanese sun goddess is not a kitsune, and a kitsune is not connected in any meaningful way to the Japanese sun goddess. Like I've explained before, what creators put in their games and anime isn't necessarily an accurate representation of the source. Without the game Okami, a nine-tailed fox would not have been associated with Amaterasu (the goddes, not the character from the game). Read that article and tell me where it says anything about kitsune or foxes, or animals Amaterasu turned into. There's nothing about that in there. Also note that there are multiple Amaterasu articles on Wikipedia. The goddes and the game character each have their own pages. So yes, I felt that needed to be pointed out.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > > @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > > > What Naturo mount? I only see the Japanese mythical kitsune mount. ;)

> > >

> > > Looks more like a [sun goddess](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaterasu_(%C5%8Ckami) "sun goddess") to me...

> >

> > That probably because of the game Okami, where there's a character called Amaterasu who takes the shape of a white wolf. As far as I know, the actual Japanese sun goddess, Amaterasu, is not specifically associated with either wolves of foxes/kitsune and she's mostly depicted as a woman.

>

> Are you seriously explaining the link I posted back to me?

yeah, u linked us to a deity that's not a fox... or a shrine guardian. it's a deity.

> @"Cynder.2509" said:

> Yeah, I love it as well!

> http://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/image/173718820138

>

> Oh, by the way! How do I get the image actually showing up in a post?

u have to upload it to a site that ANET approves... example imgur, or photobucket, there's a 3rd one but i dont remember. i like imgur cuz u only have to type 5 letters. anyway upload to one of them sites, and then u have to right click, get shared links, and then u have to get the one with in%20the%20address,%20and%20then%20C+P%20onto%20the%20picture%20upload%20box%20here,%20and%20then%20delete%20the%20%5Bimg%5D tags....

it's super complicated... i don't know why anet can't have a normal uploading process like other 21st century forums... but y'know what... let me not complain cuz ppl will hunt me down for no reasons.

Absolutely love it! Anet outdid themselves on this one! Hopefully it will stick a little longer in the shop, as I will be able to pick it up by the end of this week or at most the next. Not even going to try and gamble for it, as I know how bad my luck is on rng boxes. Anyone knows how long usually new skins like that stick around on shop?

> @"Rain.7543" said:

> Absolutely love it! Anet outdid themselves on this one! Hopefully it will stick a little longer in the shop, as I will be able to pick it up by the end of this week or at most the next. Not even going to try and gamble for it, as I know how bad my luck is on rng boxes. Anyone knows how long usually new skins like that stick around on shop?

>

(guessing) the ones that dont say "available for 7 days only" usually stick around for 2-3 weeks

I want to get it so badly but sadly my real life wallet is suffering too much to get a couple gems cards for it and I have a full 5 gold so no gold to gem transfers for me (or at least, not enough in time until they take it out of the TP). LOVE the skin though, oh my gosh it's my fav out of all the skins.

> @"Fraghound.5730" said:

> I want to get it so badly but sadly my real life wallet is suffering too much to get a couple gems cards for it and I have a full 5 gold so no gold to gem transfers for me (or at least, not enough in time until they take it out of the TP). LOVE the skin though, oh my gosh it's my fav out of all the skins.

You could try doing map completion on a character and get the Black Lion Keys from finishing maps! The actual mount skin can be acquired through a chest if you're lucky.

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > @"Cynder.2509" said:

> > Yeah, I love it as well!

> > http://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/image/173718820138

> >

> > Oh, by the way! How do I get the image actually showing up in a post?

>

> u have to upload it to a site that ANET approves... example imgur, or photobucket, there's a 3rd one but i dont remember. i like imgur cuz u only have to type 5 letters. anyway upload to one of them sites, and then u have to right click, get shared links, and then u have to get the one with in%20the%20address,%20and%20then%20C+P%20onto%20the%20picture%20upload%20box%20here,%20and%20then%20delete%20the%20%5Bimg%5D tags....

>

> it's super complicated... i don't know why anet can't have a normal uploading process like other 21st century forums... but y'know what... let me not complain cuz ppl will hunt me down for no reasons.

I don't know if it's anything to do with how Imgur is set up but it's much simpler for me.

I upload the picture, left-click on it in my gallery and the picture comes up with a bunch of links down the right side. I click the 'copy' button next to the 'Direct Link' one. Then switch back to the forum, click on the image icon at the top of the reply box and past the link. Then the forum does all the formatting to get the image to appear automatically.

The one thing that bothers me about this is that you can't dye the gold part of the saddle and the grey rope around the neck. I know they're fairly minor details, but if you wanted something like a blue and silver colour scheme the gold saddle looks very out of place.