is it underwater or cantha?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several thoughts on what could be the next expansion, but it won't be Cantha, nor will it be an UW themed one.

I think the balance patch of UW combat is mostly qualitative of nature, to enhance the game itself, rather than prepare for a future expansion.

That said, future maps no longer have to dread UW content because it's more balanced now. As a result, we may see more lakes, rivers, and some seasides, perhaps.

• 7 months later...

> @"Zeefa.3915" said:

> I do think we will get both eventually (together or seperate), but I don't think it is already in the next expansion. Seems Kralkatorrik might be next?

> Cantha would most likely be somewhat human centric again and that might not be a good move atm.

> I think the next expansion would do well to be centric to either, norn, charr or asura, since sylvari and human have had that... when it comes to expanding on lore at least.

>

> Honestly though the next expansion can be pretty much anything... a lot and I really mean a lot can happen in LS4 still changing where we might have to go.

> This update and the jackal skin means absolutely nothing... at least not yet. Might aswell say the exosuit mount set indicates an asura centric expansion.

Centric is already introduced and player already playing years for those visuals: farm land, Snowy Mountains, Charr badland, techno labs, etc... An expansion are and should always give us whole new things to look at, Jungle for HoT and Desert or PoF, with Cantha it's great opportunity to introduce great new visuals, Eastern/Oriental inspired athetics.

If we were top go to Cantha, it'wouldn't be all water. That would be like playing Russian roulette. It would have water yes, besides we have to cross the ocean to get there.

It would also be because we are going there to face the sea dragon also to face whatever other situation is facing Cantha at that time, example a bad Emperor.

As for water content, they are going in the wright direction, by the time the expansion comes out it might all have been fixed by then.

Consider this we got swim infusion ahead of time, which is the right thing to do, if you consider fixing the whole issue in time for an expansion.

Also consider this they didn't make swim infusions to shut up the few. You can expect the whole underwater combat to be fully realized at some point.B)

Honestly ? If it is indeed underwater I'll wait month or two before buying and read people opinions if it's fun at all. I am super sceptic about underwater combat, as my profession specializations are not really viable there and placing aoes in water is not fun.

> @"Kas.3509" said:

> Honestly ? If it is indeed underwater I'll wait month or two before buying and read people opinions if it's fun at all. I am super sceptic about underwater combat, as my profession specializations are not really viable there and placing aoes in water is not fun.

All profession could have an underwater Elite Specialization if we getting an underwater heavy extension. and it wont be all underwater for sure, maybe 3 land maps and 2 water maps?

> @"Hoover.6394" said:

> > @"Kas.3509" said:

> > Honestly ? If it is indeed underwater I'll wait month or two before buying and read people opinions if it's fun at all. I am super sceptic about underwater combat, as my profession specializations are not really viable there and placing aoes in water is not fun.

>

> All profession could have an underwater Elite Specialization if we getting an underwater heavy extension. and it wont be all underwater for sure, maybe 3 land maps and 2 water maps?

Then it will feel like forcing people into specialization, as everything else is not really playable underwater. Not too good choice imo. They'd need to rework all skills to work fun and different underwater overall. Specially aoes like wells etc. I wouldnt like to be forced to play 1 elite spec through whole expansion or most of it.

I don't like the idea because I really despise water combat right now. But I'll give it a try if they do it , because I enjoyed most of the work devs did up to this time so maybe they'll make it good this time too.

> @"Kas.3509" said:

> > @"Hoover.6394" said:

> > > @"Kas.3509" said:

> > > Honestly ? If it is indeed underwater I'll wait month or two before buying and read people opinions if it's fun at all. I am super sceptic about underwater combat, as my profession specializations are not really viable there and placing aoes in water is not fun.

> >

> > All profession could have an underwater Elite Specialization if we getting an underwater heavy extension. and it wont be all underwater for sure, maybe 3 land maps and 2 water maps?

>

> Then it will feel like forcing people into specialization, as everything else is not really playable underwater. Not too good choice imo. They'd need to rework all skills to work fun and different underwater overall. Specially aoes like wells etc. I wouldnt like to be forced to play 1 elite spec through whole expansion or most of it.

>

> I don't like the idea because I really despise water combat right now. But I'll give it a try if they do it , because I enjoyed most of the work devs did up to this time so maybe they'll make it good this time too.

yeah i dont like under water combat either, but under water content dont have to be filled with water all the time, it can we palaces too, maybe have to just travel through waters, think about how cool if we get some water mounts :P

The underwater overhaul has been long overdue and still needs improving.

The biggest problems we have with underwater now is build diversity and mobility.

This can easily be fixed by adding an underwater mount and more usable underwater weapons such as Sword, Dagger etc, making more utility skills usable underwater will also help this problem.

As for story points the Jade Sea is imo one of the best locations known about for a final showdown with the sea dragon.

I for one would absolutely love to have a massive open world dragon battle at this location with the dragon swapping between land and underwater combat phases..

> @"Hoover.6394" said:

> > @"Zeefa.3915" said:

> > I do think we will get both eventually (together or seperate), but I don't think it is already in the next expansion. Seems Kralkatorrik might be next?

> > Cantha would most likely be somewhat human centric again and that might not be a good move atm.

> > I think the next expansion would do well to be centric to either, norn, charr or asura, since sylvari and human have had that... when it comes to expanding on lore at least.

> >

> > Honestly though the next expansion can be pretty much anything... a lot and I really mean a lot can happen in LS4 still changing where we might have to go.

> > This update and the jackal skin means absolutely nothing... at least not yet. Might aswell say the exosuit mount set indicates an asura centric expansion.

>

> Centric is already introduced and player already playing years for those visuals: farm land, Snowy Mountains, Charr badland, techno labs, etc... An expansion are and should always give us whole new things to look at, Jungle for HoT and Desert or PoF, with Cantha it's great opportunity to introduce great new visuals, Eastern/Oriental inspired athetics.

You clearly misunderstood what I meant with "centric". HoT was very centric/focused on sylvari lore, compared to the other races. PoF was that, but for humans. Its about what race gets to play a bigger role, not the enviroment. Cantha can only really have humans at the center, the same that PoF had, which is why I think we need to go somewhere else first. Charr homelands would be just as new as HoT and PoF has been, same for Far Shiverpeaks. Yes we already have some snowy areas, but we also already had jungle areas, before HoT.

Didn't expect to have to clarify it after almost a year xD

I loved Factions btw, I would loooooove to go back to Cantha. I just think something else need to happen first.

Although I'd like for it to be Cantha on the one hand, I feel the map is already too big and it's becoming unwieldly. Underwater areas are an idea but for a new expansion I think it's not something that makes sense. So I'm voting for something else that fills up the current map a bit more. I wouldn't mind if the HoM was back on the actual map.