serial question: what is the point of aviator's memory box?

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > -__- i feel like this forum likes to go against me, if i said I LOVEEE aviator box,, yall would be like,, "I hate them why u post a thread about this"... -__-

>

> People like to disagree, and it's more conductive to discussion.

>

> People who don't like it but don't absolutely hate it would probably look at the topic and think "Yeah it is pointless" and carry on because they don't have much to add to it. People who like it or understand why other people like it will come to try and explain and those who love it will come to defend it. That's just how the internet goes.

honestly you're one of my fav forumers here... cuz even when u disagree with something, it's not a "omg how dare they like/dislike this feature" sort of aura... lol. and always pleasing to read ur posts

> @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> Now regarding the problem OP is talking about: It is not only the aviator box. There are 100 of cases like that in the game, some intentional, some not. For example, currently, in Divinity Reach home, if you have the oyster node and you have done ally with quaggans in your personal storyline, quaggans at your home are standing ON the oyster. To farm it then needs to first achieve to select the oyster, otherwise, you keep talking to quaggans... =)

The Hylek are just as bad, except that they stand among the three basic tree nodes.

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> -__- i feel like this forum likes to go against me, if i said I LOVEEE aviator box,, yall would be like,, "I hate them why u post a thread about this"... -__-

It's not what you say, but how you say it. Tone and word choice make a world of difference. 'Serial' is one. Another example? When you called another poster 'Honey', it read extremely condescending and disrespectful in my mind.

Your question has been answered. Why you feel the need to argue and disagree is another discussion. It's not that your peers here like to go against you. Unfortunately, from my limited experience, it's the opposite.

But, to return to the topic, it's a toy. Nothing more. How people use it is up to them. But ANet's intent is to make money.

That's always the number one goal for all corporations.

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > Why are most of your options so negative?

> >

>

> honey, it's in the first paragraph... _"as someone who is a minimalist, every time i see/receive an item that has no point whatsoever, it triggers something deep inside of me that i can't explain. you could say this box is like box o' fun, but at least the latter has a purpose (i.e. to make legendary pistol).. ..."_

Except that the first paragraph is based on a false premise, that there is no po8nt to te aviator box, that it serves no purpose.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > Why are most of your options so negative?

> > >

> >

> > honey, it's in the first paragraph... _"as someone who is a minimalist, every time i see/receive an item that has no point whatsoever, it triggers something deep inside of me that i can't explain. you could say this box is like box o' fun, but at least the latter has a purpose (i.e. to make legendary pistol).. ..."_

>

> Except that the first paragraph is based on a false premise, that there is no po8nt to te aviator box, that it serves no purpose.

i dont understand what u mean. this entire thread is derived from my point of view... so idk how it can be based on a false premise? unless i have some sort of multiple personality disorders i'm not aware of...

the first sentence pretty much entails that it's my point of view, "as someone who is a minimalist"... minimalists cannot stand having unnecessary things. obviously if you're not a minimalist u wouldn't agree, u'd think aviator boxes, bloodstone dusts, etc all serve a purpose and are useful for whatever reasons. it doesn't mean what i said is based on a flase premise, since it's coming from my perspective based on my personality. =/

hence why i made a reference to my mom collecting pots and pans... she thinks those pots have purpose, i don't. it's all subjective, nothing is false, nothing is promised/premised.

happy mother's days to all the mothers of gw2 btw.

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > > > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > > Why are most of your options so negative?

> > > >

> > >

> > > honey, it's in the first paragraph... _"as someone who is a minimalist, every time i see/receive an item that has no point whatsoever, it triggers something deep inside of me that i can't explain. you could say this box is like box o' fun, but at least the latter has a purpose (i.e. to make legendary pistol).. ..."_

> >

> > Except that the first paragraph is based on a false premise, that there is no po8nt to te aviator box, that it serves no purpose.

>

> i dont understand what u mean. this entire thread is derived from my point of view... so idk how it can be based on a false premise? unless i have some sort of multiple personality disorders i'm not aware of...

>

> the first sentence pretty much entails that it's my point of view, "as someone who is a minimalist"... minimalists cannot stand having unnecessary things. obviously if you're not a minimalist u wouldn't agree, u'd think aviator boxes, bloodstone dusts, etc all serve a purpose and are useful for whatever reasons. it doesn't mean what i said is based on a flase premise, since it's coming from my perspective based on my personality. =/

>

>

> hence why i made a reference to my mom collecting pots and pans... she thinks those pots have purpose, i don't. it's all subjective, nothing is false, nothing is promised/premised.

>

> happy mother's days to all the mothers of gw2 btw.

The premised part is that you assume the item has not purpose and state it as if it were a fact rather than opinion.

> **every time i see/receive _an item that has no point whatsoever,_ ..... what is hte point of this???? exactly?**

In short, you failed to specify that you were expressing an opinion and it came across as if you were stipulating this is being fact. Also you are presuming that 100% of minimalists dislike the aviator box (which is probably not true).

> @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > > > > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > > > Why are most of your options so negative?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > honey, it's in the first paragraph... _"as someone who is a minimalist, every time i see/receive an item that has no point whatsoever, it triggers something deep inside of me that i can't explain. you could say this box is like box o' fun, but at least the latter has a purpose (i.e. to make legendary pistol).. ..."_

> > >

> > > Except that the first paragraph is based on a false premise, that there is no po8nt to te aviator box, that it serves no purpose.

> >

> > i dont understand what u mean. this entire thread is derived from my point of view... so idk how it can be based on a false premise? unless i have some sort of multiple personality disorders i'm not aware of...

> >

> > the first sentence pretty much entails that it's my point of view, "as someone who is a minimalist"... minimalists cannot stand having unnecessary things. obviously if you're not a minimalist u wouldn't agree, u'd think aviator boxes, bloodstone dusts, etc all serve a purpose and are useful for whatever reasons. it doesn't mean what i said is based on a flase premise, since it's coming from my perspective based on my personality. =/

> >

> >

> > hence why i made a reference to my mom collecting pots and pans... she thinks those pots have purpose, i don't. it's all subjective, nothing is false, nothing is promised/premised.

> >

> > happy mother's days to all the mothers of gw2 btw.

>

> The premised part is that you assume the item has not purpose and state it as if it were a fact rather than opinion.

>

> > **every time i see/receive _an item that has no point whatsoever,_ ..... what is hte point of this???? exactly?**

>

> In short, you failed to specify that you were expressing an opinion and it came across as if you were stipulating this is being fact. Also you are presuming that 100% of minimalists dislike the aviator box (which is probably not true).

the fact that i made this a poll indicates i want to hear other ppl's opinions... and not just my own... so your point is moot.

find me a minimalist who likes aviator box and i will swallow/eat my words

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > > > > > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > > > > Why are most of your options so negative?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > honey, it's in the first paragraph... _"as someone who is a minimalist, every time i see/receive an item that has no point whatsoever, it triggers something deep inside of me that i can't explain. you could say this box is like box o' fun, but at least the latter has a purpose (i.e. to make legendary pistol).. ..."_

> > > >

> > > > Except that the first paragraph is based on a false premise, that there is no po8nt to te aviator box, that it serves no purpose.

> > >

> > > i dont understand what u mean. this entire thread is derived from my point of view... so idk how it can be based on a false premise? unless i have some sort of multiple personality disorders i'm not aware of...

> > >

> > > the first sentence pretty much entails that it's my point of view, "as someone who is a minimalist"... minimalists cannot stand having unnecessary things. obviously if you're not a minimalist u wouldn't agree, u'd think aviator boxes, bloodstone dusts, etc all serve a purpose and are useful for whatever reasons. it doesn't mean what i said is based on a flase premise, since it's coming from my perspective based on my personality. =/

> > >

> > >

> > > hence why i made a reference to my mom collecting pots and pans... she thinks those pots have purpose, i don't. it's all subjective, nothing is false, nothing is promised/premised.

> > >

> > > happy mother's days to all the mothers of gw2 btw.

> >

> > The premised part is that you assume the item has not purpose and state it as if it were a fact rather than opinion.

> >

> > > **every time i see/receive _an item that has no point whatsoever,_ ..... what is hte point of this???? exactly?**

> >

> > In short, you failed to specify that you were expressing an opinion and it came across as if you were stipulating this is being fact. Also you are presuming that 100% of minimalists dislike the aviator box (which is probably not true).

>

> the fact that i made this a poll indicates i want to hear other ppl's opinions... and not just my own... so your point is moot.

Not really because then you say;

> i feel like this forum likes to go against me, if i said I LOVEEE aviator box,, yall would be like,, "I hate them why u post a thread about this"

So you either want opinions regardless of whether pro/con, or resent the fact you get opinions that differ to yours. Pick one, not both.

> find me a minimalist who likes aviator box and i will swallow/eat my words

I am minimalist. I can’t stand tonnes of tonics/gadgets/toys/gizmos, but I like the Aviator box and BobbleHead Lab. I don’t see what being minimalist has to do with liking a particular gadget. You don’t own it unless you buy it, one would assume you only buy something you like, so it’s not taking up an inventory space for you.

First of all it's a toy, it's there to amuse people. Don't find it amusing, don't buy it.

Second, it does indeed have a use but few know about it. When you interact with it and the scenery gets that sepia tone, it allows you to "see" the hidden things such as the Drytop or Silverwastes' coins. They show through the sepia tone. I don't know if that is still the case with it but when it first came out , you could use it for that as well as the toy function.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> I am minimalist. I can’t stand tonnes of tonics/gadgets/toys/gizmos, but I like the Aviator box and BobbleHead Lab. I don’t see what being minimalist has to do with liking a particular gadget. You don’t own it unless you buy it, one would assume you only buy something you like, so it’s not taking up an inventory space for you.

>

minimalism has everything to do with it. i mean maybe its the wrong word to use, would insanity be better for u? yes i'm insane.

my inventory has to be 0/100. i get annoyed when i watch someone's stream and see tons of items in their inventory. i don't like seeing minis or aviator box.

isn't the definition of minimalism means u are satisfied with fewer things in life? that pretty much applies to me here in this case. if ti doesn't for u, then fine.

and no i never own the aviator box. when anet offered that sab box for free, i didn't collect it, and i got so annoyed seeing those boxes everywhere. my point has been i don't like seeing it... especially near caches/chests, and then get turned into kate winslet....

how many times i have to repeat myself tho... this thread is basically just my opinion... i don't like seeing certain items due to my personality. whether it's minimalism or insanity... just get creative don't need to ask me further questions or the derail the poll... and then get my thread closed for no reasons other than cuz u wanna win an arugument or whatever.

idc about winning an argument. im here to express myself.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> It's all and none of the above... It's a **TOY** It's something created to have fun... Initially it wasn't even for sale, just a April fool's joke. Everyone was running around like this for a day or so.

> People loved it so much that eventually Arena Net turned it into a toy, and people buy it. It's a fun joke. And a way for Arena Net to get some gems spent, and a way for players to "troll" others. Just like the Bobblehead Laboratory, the boxes of fun, the Water Baloon Bucket, the cauldron, etc.

Some people loved it.

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > > Why are most of your options so negative?

> > > >

> > >

> > > honey, it's in the first paragraph... _"as someone who is a minimalist, every time i see/receive an item that has no point whatsoever, it triggers something deep inside of me that i can't explain. you could say this box is like box o' fun, but at least the latter has a purpose (i.e. to make legendary pistol).. ..."_

> >

> > Except that the first paragraph is based on a false premise, that there is no po8nt to te aviator box, that it serves no purpose.

>

> i dont understand what u mean. this entire thread is derived from my point of view... so idk how it can be based on a false premise? unless i have some sort of multiple personality disorders i'm not aware of...

>

> the first sentence pretty much entails that it's my point of view, "as someone who is a minimalist"... minimalists cannot stand having unnecessary things. obviously if you're not a minimalist u wouldn't agree, u'd think aviator boxes, bloodstone dusts, etc all serve a purpose and are useful for whatever reasons. it doesn't mean what i said is based on a flase premise, since it's coming from my perspective based on my personality. =/

>

>

> hence why i made a reference to my mom collecting pots and pans... she thinks those pots have purpose, i don't. it's all subjective, nothing is false, nothing is promised/premised.

>

> happy mother's days to all the mothers of gw2 btw.

You state that the item has no point. That it has no purpose.

The item does have a point. It does have a purpose. That is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of fact.

> @"Bunter.3795" said:

> First of all it's a toy, it's there to amuse people. Don't find it amusing, don't buy it.

>

> Second, it does indeed have a use but few know about it. When you interact with it and the scenery gets that sepia tone, it allows you to "see" the hidden things such as the Drytop or Silverwastes' coins. They show through the sepia tone. I don't know if that is still the case with it but when it first came out , you could use it for that as well as the toy function.

:O Whoa, gonna try that out tonight.

The first time I saw an aviator's memory box, someone had dropped it at the end of a Tangled Depths meta, and I had no idea what it was. Fell in love with it, though, and had to buy my own. :) Every now and then I drop one and enjoy playing airplane like I did as a little kid. Does it have a purpose? For me, yeah. It makes me smile. That's purpose enough.

Also, when making a poll, try to incorporate more than just your own point of view. All the options we get to choose from are negative, and then the last adds "whatever other reason". It's a very one-sided poll that seems to want to establish how many other people agree with you. Discussion comes from varying opinions. The outcome of this poll won't lead to varying opinions: it will either be negative or something else (last option).

I also don't get your choice for the word "serial" here. Two questions ("What's the purpose?" and "What do you think?" ) are not a series of questions, nor is it a repeating pattern of questions either. Technically, a serial question is a question that is asked over and over again, for instance, every week. Or different questions being asked over a protracted period of time (like a TV series tells a story over a protracted period of time, instead of a movie which does it in one go, trilogies and film series notwithstanding).

But, to get back on topic, personally I agree with you that the Aviator's Memory Box is a useless item. Other people find it funny, though. They introduced the effect on April 1, 2015, the third April Fools Day since launch. Apparently this and the Bobblehead Laboratory (which was first also just an April Fools feature for 1 day in 2014) were introduced because people thought the effect was funny. Personally, when I logged into the game on those days and saw what they did, I logged out and waited for April 2. I found both highly annoying, and they pale in comparison to ANet's first April Fools feature, which was the Super Adventure Box. I'm glad they abandoned the weird-effect-you-can't-turn-off "jokes" and decided to make SAB into an annual April Fools festival. I feel the same way towards Boxes o' Fun, and I delete those the moment I get them (not interested in Quip or The Moot either, so they have no purpose for me, even though they have a purpose in general).

There have always been trolls who place these things in inconvenient spots. They do it with the Box o' Fun, Bobblehead and Aviator feature, and even BL merchants/TP's. In my experience, though, these trolls seem to be cross-eyed because I never had a problem with selecting those items over the chest/vendor I actually want to access. Just walk around it and you'll find a spot to interact with the item instead of the "fun" boxes. Or you could just select the item to interact with manually and circumvent clicking the troll item. It only really works if you put the item exactly on top of the other item/vendor, so there's no position from which you don't get the option to click the box. And very few trolls, if any, seem to place it that perfectly.