What Roll Will the Beetle Mount Fill?

Each of the mounts introduced in the game have a specific role they fill in the gameplay from leaping, jumping, skimming, and even teleportation. What role does the beetle fill? My hope if that it's more than just some mechanic that they've added to Kourna and the the Beetle will be a valid choice in other areas of the game.

Switching mounts to accomplish something different when exploring has been a joy and one of the better game features introduced with PoF.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like you can bust through specially-marked walls with this beetle. Possibly launch yourself off of ramps or travel along special lines (those asura-tech pathways in the short preview of Kourna look interesting), but that's just wild guessing on my end.

I'm guessing it is a high-speed transport, but not maneuverable. That way it could get you across a wide, flattish area in record time, while not making the more maneuverable Raptor obsolete.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> Do we know for sure that it can be used outside the LS map? I assume it can but could it be like the Thermal Tubes and Oakheart Essence on LS3?

We don't know anything for sure, but it is being advertised as a new mount, which leads me to assume it will work like the previous mounts.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> I'm guessing it is a high-speed transport, but not maneuverable. That way it could get you across a wide, flattish area in record time, while not making the more maneuverable Raptor obsolete.

That'd be good, I know I'm looking forward to the race in the new map a lot. Ahhh nostalgia, even though I hardly did any rollerbeetle racing in GW1.

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > Do we know for sure that it can be used outside the LS map? I assume it can but could it be like the Thermal Tubes and Oakheart Essence on LS3?

>

> We don't know anything for sure, but it is being advertised as a new mount, which leads me to assume it will work like the previous mounts.

Yeah, good point, if it was just a map ability, they probably wouldn't have mentioned it in the trailer, "new mount" brings expectations.

> @"Batel.9206" said:

> Seems like you can bust through specially-marked walls with this beetle. Possibly launch yourself off of ramps or travel along special lines (those asura-tech pathways in the short preview of Kourna look interesting), but that's just wild guessing on my end.

Ability to bust through all those invisible walls would be a nice mechanic.

Wall wrecking? Thats the only thing I noticed it doing that other mounts can't. I am almost sure it wont have the skimmer ability... yes it goes over some water, but its shallow enough for raptors and the other mounts too. Seems pretty fast too... the high jump seems to be caused by a ramp of sorts... so I'll assume it can only jump like that with enough speed up such ramps.

What Cragga said seems quite plausible.

> What **Roll** Will the Beetle Mount Fill?

Oooh, I get it. Because it rolls!

I kid, I kid.

Seems like it'll just be a gating mechanic that might be more useful through later episodes.

Can't say I'm a fan, though. Already have Raptor for general movement, Griffon for most else, and the only reason I use Jackal is because of the latest special skin.

12 replies and not one of you have said it's roll is rolling? What's wrong with this forum today?

(Seriously though I agree with the people who said it will be a high-speed, low manoeuvrability mount, and it looks like it can burst through certain walls. The question is how many of these walls will be in the game outside of Kourna.)

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> 12 replies and not one of you have said it's roll is rolling? What's wrong with this forum today?

>

> (Seriously though I agree with the people who said it will be a high-speed, low manoeuvrability mount, and it looks like it can burst through certain walls. The question is how many of these walls will be in the game outside of Kourna.)

Ahem:

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > What **Roll** Will the Beetle Mount Fill?

> Oooh, I get it. Because it rolls!

:)

So far, I've heard predictions of high speed, wall-breaking, and possibly ramp-jumping. The wall-breaking is mostly going to be a content gate, and griffon is still likely going to supercede it on exploration, though probably not pure speed.

That, and being ugly enough to make me spend on skins to avoid having a giant bug as a mount. :|

> @"Batel.9206" said:

> Seems like you can bust through specially-marked walls with this beetle. Possibly launch yourself off of ramps or travel along special lines (those asura-tech pathways in the short preview of Kourna look interesting), but that's just wild guessing on my end.

I think you are right if you stop the trailer at the 0:55 mark you can see what looks like a beetle mark on a cracked wall.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> 12 replies and not one of you have said it's roll is rolling? What's wrong with this forum today?

>

> (Seriously though I agree with the people who said it will be a high-speed, low manoeuvrability mount, and it looks like it can burst through certain walls. The question is how many of these walls will be in the game outside of Kourna.)

Maybe they're t-rolling you. :smirk:

I'm thinking the roll of the roller beetle will be its stamina bar will be a period of high speed burst. I'm thinking a mastery for this is the ability to use that high speed to break down special walls and maybe increase the duration of the speed boost.

I'm thinking this one will be the fastest ground mount with the option of gaining some vertical mobility with the use of speed boost and ramps.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> I'm guessing it is a high-speed transport, but not maneuverable. That way it could get you across a wide, flattish area in record time, while not making the more maneuverable Raptor obsolete.

Isn't that just a more practical griffon? The griffon is really only faster than the raptor or jackal given the proper circumstances (a high starting altitude) and a very large distance to be covered. If the beetle fills the same roll, except without the altitude requirement, I don't think any loss of maneuverability will save the already infrequently usable griffon from becoming even less frequently usable.