Suggestion - The Beetle mount Endurance Bar needs some adjustment.

> @"Blackwaltz.7156" said:

> Another idea.

> Since last mastery trait is endurance-oriented, add the following effect to it: "Mastery over the beetle riding allows you to start with full endurance when mounting up."

> Problem solved. Band aid though, not full fix to the core issues of the mount, but it would help keep it's niche (straight flat grounds or ramps) better. Meanwhile Jackal and Raptor leap like crazy and could be faster in certain terrains.

You solved one problem and you make more problems. Why should I use raptor or Jackal now?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Vavume.8065" said:

> It should also have a skill slot 2 on the bar for the drifting move. It is clear to me now that mount skills and keybindings need a complete rework, because the current system is uninformative and frankly just bad.

>

> Mount skills 101, when a mount has 2 skills, make 2 skills on the skillbar...

Mounts all have 2 skills at least...

Skill [1] on the bar is the Engagement skill, it's an attack that dismounts you... Not even remotely related to movement skills...

All mounts have at least another skill, the **movement skill** which is in the space bar, that's the High Jump on the Bunny, the Long Jump on Raptor, the Teleport on Jackal, etc.

Griffon and now Bettle have two **movement** skills, the climb up on griffon and the drift on beetle. But they're movement skills, not combat. So they're unrelated and shouldn't really be on the bar...

Now, could a **hint** be shown on screen, displaying the movement skills and the associated key (kind of like the context skills on Raids and such)? That would probably be great!

To be completely honest, I feel like the beetle would be way too OP if it had a full endurance bar at the start. It needs something to balance it out because the speed on it is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, it's slow when you start, but when you get going, you can _keep_ going, and going, and going. If you practice enough, you can basically keep the speed up for however long you want to, and I don't think a 15 second wait at the start, or when you crash, is _really_ that big of a deal compared to that. I'm really not sure why everyone is complaining about it so much. I'm just happy we even have a new mount at all.

I do think the mount skill keybinds should be reworked, though.

So, having played around with the beetle more I am still thrilled with the base functionality of this mount as well as the drift skill. But everything else is a mess that detracts from the whole package. You guys were right!

Endurance regen is too slow and starting with 0 endurance is obnoxious. There are way too many situations where this makes the beetle unusable even where terrain would otherwise be favorable. Stopping to harvest nodes or kill enemies is no fun at all because you have to wait forever for the beetle to get moving again. Unless you ignore everything but points A and B, the beetle isn't very usable the way many players actually play the game.

The crystal shattering ability works fine in open space, but most crystals are placed the same way harvesting nodes are: on top of cliffs, rocky outcroppings, etc. where you can't simply roll into them at speed and would instead need to dismount, position yourself adequately, and then wait an eternity for the beetle to gain endurance before the "big payoff" of...a few volatile magic. This makes the skill so irrelevant that it might as well not exist.

Big air. It sounds like a fun idea, but everything about it makes it practically useless. Why do I need to refill my endurance bar when I'm already moving fast enough to catch "big air"? And if that were somehow useful to me, I'd still hate it because finding usable terrain to execute this ability is nearly impossible! The tricks are fun, I guess?

Shattering walls works fine. It feels a little clunky because the beetle seems to stop momentarily upon connecting with the wall and only then bursts through it. This doesn't really feel like it should, in my opinion. But it does what it's supposed to do, contrived as it is.

The engage is nice and looks awesome, but I would like it better if it didn't take you so far past enemy targets.

Initially, I thought the way this is set up would prevent too much overlap, but I think I begin to agree with the others in that the beetle's base functionality already limits it. You move too fast to use it on the broken terrain that many maps consist of without diving off of cliffs or immediately running into walls. It really doesn't need all of these additional limitations.

How about we fix this up and let us enjoy the beetle? It really is a ton of fun when you're actually moving around with it at high speed and drifting. It's just a shame you'll never really get to do that in normal gameplay as opposed to just flying around nice, flat zones like Ascalon, ignoring all harvesting nodes, enemies, and events in the process!

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> Now, could a **hint** be shown on screen, displaying the movement skills and the associated key (kind of like the context skills on Raids and such)? That would probably be great!

Agreed, it would be useful to have some other indicator.

I suppose these could be considered utility skills (since some of those are more about movement, even if they are used tactically during combat). So maybe they could be shown in default slots 7-0.

> Mounts all have 2 skills at least...

> Skill [1] on the bar is the Engagement skill, it's an attack that dismounts you... Not even remotely related to movement skills...

> All mounts have at least another skill, the **movement skill** which is in the space bar, that's the High Jump on the Bunny, the Long Jump on Raptor, the Teleport on Jackal, etc.

> Griffon and now Bettle have two **movement** skills, the climb up on griffon and the drift on beetle. But they're movement skills, not combat. So they're unrelated and shouldn't really be on the bar...

A very helpful description of the distinctions.

The beetle is fun to toy with, but im most likely to go back to griffon as main mount. You just cant compete with snap vertical ascent and fast gliding whenever you take off from a hill.

Beetle is just not useful if you want to gather, and too fragile compared to other mounts that is far better at evading.

> @"Brosef.7852" said:

> > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > "Oh my god, I have to wait 10 seconds before I can ultraboost away. Such impertinence!!"

> > I wonder how some of you were able to survive the time before mounts :#

>

> Can you give me one good reason why it should be so slow? or do you want exaggerate what I said?

Unlike LS3, Mounts are not contained to the map designed for them. Like how Core Tyria was never designed to accommodate mounts and gliding, which throws the off the value of their various niche abilities. Come to think of it.... if not for the Jump Pads added to older maps, gliding would be pretty useless outside of the Shiverpeak maps.

I haven't finished the collection yet... but it sounds like the main issue is a new "situational tool" not being general purpose enough. Jackal had the same problem, since its pretty mediocre without the portals to get around. I could also also chalk up some expectation mismatch with people hoping for it to work like a Sonic Game; however, I'm pretty sure most people weren't really expecting this mount to be utility, so much as simple speed demon fun.

That can still be adjusted for better usability, but you also have to consider what this mount would do to Races (seeing as you need 1st, 2nd, or 3rd for collection achievements). This more then anything else is probably why its a slow starter, poor recovery, and purposefully weak for short stretches.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

>Jackal had the same problem, since its pretty mediocre without the portals to get around.

I find the jackal extremely useful as it is the easiest, most maneuverable mount for me. Others mileage will vary, certainly, but I hardly find the jackal to be mediocre.

/me shrugs

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> I find the jackal extremely useful as it is the easiest, most maneuverable mount for me. Others mileage will vary, certainly, but I hardly find the jackal to be mediocre.

>

> /me shrugs

Not to mention it has the fastest _base_ movement speed. I use it more often than raptor unless am on a mostly flat map.

> > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > It should also have a skill slot 2 on the bar for the drifting move. It is clear to me now that mount skills and keybindings need a complete rework, because the current system is uninformative and frankly just bad.

> >

> > Mount skills 101, when a mount has 2 skills, make 2 skills on the skillbar...

>

> Mounts all have 2 skills at least...

> Skill [1] on the bar is the Engagement skill, it's an attack that dismounts you... Not even remotely related to movement skills...

> All mounts have at least another skill, the **movement skill** which is in the space bar, that's the High Jump on the Bunny, the Long Jump on Raptor, the Teleport on Jackal, etc.

> Griffon and now Bettle have two **movement** skills, the climb up on griffon and the drift on beetle. But they're movement skills, not combat. So they're unrelated and shouldn't really be on the bar...

> Now, could a **hint** be shown on screen, displaying the movement skills and the associated key (kind of like the context skills on Raids and such)? That would probably be great!

The Adventure that unlocks once you acquire the beetle teaches you its mechanics over tooltips. But most people probably ignored the icon when it popped up in the north of the post

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> >Jackal had the same problem, since its pretty mediocre without the portals to get around.

> I find the jackal extremely useful as it is the easiest, most maneuverable mount for me. Others mileage will vary, certainly, but I hardly find the jackal to be mediocre.

>

> /me shrugs

Technically the Raptor and Jackal fall into similar use cases..... but the raptor is required to progress through the maps, where as the Jackal is completely optional. ~~The same can be said about Roller Beetles falling into the trap of LS maps having to be completely self contained for the purposes of achievement. The Beetle requires collection to unlock, and this WILL make it impossible to progress the entire mastery line without having access to chapter..... I don't even know if the planned for this, or if this is going to be the last chapter in the Season (which is the only way this won't outright block progress for people missing this chapter).~~

Scratch that last part.... I just now realized what they did..... its an independent line from Crystal Champion. Unfortunately we're still stuck with the Roll over Exp short coming.

I have to echo about the jackal. Far more flexible than the raptor. Having 3 bars of endurance that makes its specialty useable much faster. Plus you can easilly handle falls with it. Just blink before hitting the ground. And the blink allows you to easilly dodge angry mobs. It is simply so delightfully precise.

Whereas raptor isnt terribly good for precision with lots of momentum, and its leap only have 2 bars, meaning it takes longer before it can be used again.

But yeah, the beetle is super situational. Only really good for funsies and long stretches with little to no obstacles. Otherwise the jackal is a far better all purpose mount.

> > @"Brosef.7852" said:

> > > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > > "Oh my god, I have to wait 10 seconds before I can ultraboost away. Such impertinence!!"

> > > I wonder how some of you were able to survive the time before mounts :#

> >

> > Can you give me one good reason why it should be so slow? or do you want exaggerate what I said?

>

> Unlike LS3, Mounts are not contained to the map designed for them. Like how Core Tyria was never designed to accommodate mounts and gliding, which throws the off the value of their various niche abilities. Come to think of it.... if not for the Jump Pads added to older maps, gliding would be pretty useless outside of the Shiverpeak maps.

>

> I haven't finished the collection yet... but it sounds like the main issue is a new "situational tool" not being general purpose enough. Jackal had the same problem, since its pretty mediocre without the portals to get around. I could also also chalk up some expectation mismatch with people hoping for it to work like a Sonic Game; however, I'm pretty sure most people weren't really expecting this mount to be utility, so much as simple speed demon fun.

>

> That can still be adjusted for better usability, but you also have to consider what this mount would do to Races (seeing as you need 1st, 2nd, or 3rd for collection achievements). This more then anything else is probably why its a slow starter, poor recovery, and purposefully weak for short stretches.

Races? Who cares about races? Just disable the beetle for that content then. It's no excuse to ruin such a great concept.

As for jackal/raptor, they do have the most overlap of any two mounts. However, the jackal is faster over certain terrain and has better control such as changing direction in mid-air. Their engage abilities are also quite different. I find I use all of the original mounts regularly. Roller Beetle is something I want to use, but they at least have to fix the endurance bar before it becomes in any way practical.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > > It should also have a skill slot 2 on the bar for the drifting move. It is clear to me now that mount skills and keybindings need a complete rework, because the current system is uninformative and frankly just bad.

> > >

> > > Mount skills 101, when a mount has 2 skills, make 2 skills on the skillbar...

> >

> > Mounts all have 2 skills at least...

> > Skill [1] on the bar is the Engagement skill, it's an attack that dismounts you... Not even remotely related to movement skills...

> > All mounts have at least another skill, the **movement skill** which is in the space bar, that's the High Jump on the Bunny, the Long Jump on Raptor, the Teleport on Jackal, etc.

> > Griffon and now Bettle have two **movement** skills, the climb up on griffon and the drift on beetle. But they're movement skills, not combat. So they're unrelated and shouldn't really be on the bar...

> > Now, could a **hint** be shown on screen, displaying the movement skills and the associated key (kind of like the context skills on Raids and such)? That would probably be great!

>

> The Adventure that unlocks once you acquire the beetle teaches you its mechanics over tooltips. But most people probably ignored the icon when it popped up in the north of the post

Well, to be fair, i didn't even see it pop-up, but it is fun, and it's like you said, a teachable. although it has a problem with reseting it.> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > > @"Brosef.7852" said:

> > > > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > > > "Oh my god, I have to wait 10 seconds before I can ultraboost away. Such impertinence!!"

> > > > I wonder how some of you were able to survive the time before mounts :#

> > >

> > > Can you give me one good reason why it should be so slow? or do you want exaggerate what I said?

> >

> > Unlike LS3, Mounts are not contained to the map designed for them. Like how Core Tyria was never designed to accommodate mounts and gliding, which throws the off the value of their various niche abilities. Come to think of it.... if not for the Jump Pads added to older maps, gliding would be pretty useless outside of the Shiverpeak maps.

> >

> > I haven't finished the collection yet... but it sounds like the main issue is a new "situational tool" not being general purpose enough. Jackal had the same problem, since its pretty mediocre without the portals to get around. I could also also chalk up some expectation mismatch with people hoping for it to work like a Sonic Game; however, I'm pretty sure most people weren't really expecting this mount to be utility, so much as simple speed demon fun.

> >

> > That can still be adjusted for better usability, but you also have to consider what this mount would do to Races (seeing as you need 1st, 2nd, or 3rd for collection achievements). This more then anything else is probably why its a slow starter, poor recovery, and purposefully weak for short stretches.

>

> Races? Who cares about races? Just disable the beetle for that content then. It's no excuse to ruin such a great concept.

>

> As for jackal/raptor, they do have the most overlap of any two mounts. However, the jackal is faster over certain terrain and has better control such as changing direction in mid-air. Their engage abilities are also quite different. I find I use all of the original mounts regularly. Roller Beetle is something I want to use, but they at least have to fix the endurance bar before it becomes in any way practical.

Beetle is a high-risk, high-reward mount. It might be really cool for some races, it might be **very cool** for others if you have the skill to drift it correctly, and it's just unusable in others (like the one in Highlands) due to how the endurance works right now. It's not even in the contest for some.

If only drifting also regenerated endurance, then it might be a better mount... Right now, it's really not going to see much use.

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > > @"Brosef.7852" said:

> > > > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > > > "Oh my god, I have to wait 10 seconds before I can ultraboost away. Such impertinence!!"

> > > > I wonder how some of you were able to survive the time before mounts :#

> > >

> > > Can you give me one good reason why it should be so slow? or do you want exaggerate what I said?

> >

> > Unlike LS3, Mounts are not contained to the map designed for them. Like how Core Tyria was never designed to accommodate mounts and gliding, which throws the off the value of their various niche abilities. Come to think of it.... if not for the Jump Pads added to older maps, gliding would be pretty useless outside of the Shiverpeak maps.

> >

> > I haven't finished the collection yet... but it sounds like the main issue is a new "situational tool" not being general purpose enough. Jackal had the same problem, since its pretty mediocre without the portals to get around. I could also also chalk up some expectation mismatch with people hoping for it to work like a Sonic Game; however, I'm pretty sure most people weren't really expecting this mount to be utility, so much as simple speed demon fun.

> >

> > That can still be adjusted for better usability, but you also have to consider what this mount would do to Races (seeing as you need 1st, 2nd, or 3rd for collection achievements). This more then anything else is probably why its a slow starter, poor recovery, and purposefully weak for short stretches.

>

> Races? Who cares about races? Just disable the beetle for that content then. It's no excuse to ruin such a great concept.

>

> As for jackal/raptor, they do have the most overlap of any two mounts. However, the jackal is faster over certain terrain and has better control such as changing direction in mid-air. Their engage abilities are also quite different. I find I use all of the original mounts regularly. Roller Beetle is something I want to use, but they at least have to fix the endurance bar before it becomes in any way practical.

Roller Beetles are built for Racing... why would you want them disabled for that? Or should racing be removed from all collection requirements? You see the problem here, right? Griffons break map traversal, but they're really bad in structured routes, making them difficult to overshadow the other mounts in mount specific content. Thats not the case with Roller Beetle because its both terrestrial, and faster then the other mounts by a wide margin.

Personally I'm all for removing races from any collection, but then we get have another "expendable content" situation where theres no reason to do it more then once per account for an achievement. But since everyone wants everything to be repeatable, easy (but also challenging), give stupidly large amounts of loot, and not be required when it takes more then 1 person to succeed, how do you design better content around this? The answer in this case is Roller Beetles need their own race.

> > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > > @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > > > @"Brosef.7852" said:

> > > > > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > > > > "Oh my god, I have to wait 10 seconds before I can ultraboost away. Such impertinence!!"

> > > > > I wonder how some of you were able to survive the time before mounts :#

> > > >

> > > > Can you give me one good reason why it should be so slow? or do you want exaggerate what I said?

> > >

> > > Unlike LS3, Mounts are not contained to the map designed for them. Like how Core Tyria was never designed to accommodate mounts and gliding, which throws the off the value of their various niche abilities. Come to think of it.... if not for the Jump Pads added to older maps, gliding would be pretty useless outside of the Shiverpeak maps.

> > >

> > > I haven't finished the collection yet... but it sounds like the main issue is a new "situational tool" not being general purpose enough. Jackal had the same problem, since its pretty mediocre without the portals to get around. I could also also chalk up some expectation mismatch with people hoping for it to work like a Sonic Game; however, I'm pretty sure most people weren't really expecting this mount to be utility, so much as simple speed demon fun.

> > >

> > > That can still be adjusted for better usability, but you also have to consider what this mount would do to Races (seeing as you need 1st, 2nd, or 3rd for collection achievements). This more then anything else is probably why its a slow starter, poor recovery, and purposefully weak for short stretches.

> >

> > Races? Who cares about races? Just disable the beetle for that content then. It's no excuse to ruin such a great concept.

> >

> > As for jackal/raptor, they do have the most overlap of any two mounts. However, the jackal is faster over certain terrain and has better control such as changing direction in mid-air. Their engage abilities are also quite different. I find I use all of the original mounts regularly. Roller Beetle is something I want to use, but they at least have to fix the endurance bar before it becomes in any way practical.

>

> Roller Beetles are built for Racing... why would you want them disabled for that? Or should racing be removed from all collection requirements? You see the problem here, right? Griffons break map traversal, but they're really bad in structured routes, making them difficult to overshadow the other mounts in mount specific content. Thats not the case with Roller Beetle because its both terrestrial, and faster then the other mounts by a wide margin.

>

> Personally I'm all for removing races from any collection, but then we get have another "expendable content" situation where theres no reason to do it more then once per account for an achievement. But since everyone wants everything to be repeatable, easy (but also challenging), give stupidly large amounts of loot, and not be required when it takes more then 1 person to succeed, how do you design better content around this? The answer in this case is Roller Beetles need their own race.

I'm fine with a beetle race. But when the main event is a wreck due to a poor design decision, races barely register as a concern in my book.

After learning to use this including drifting without the awkward back + left or right and ofc doing the gold runs in training it do feel "fun" in theory but lacking in some ways.

Stamina regen feels really slow when mouting.

Tier 3 ability, while i do use it the problem seem to be that there really is no such thing as big air or im missing some mechanic as most of the times there is a ramp that work it also conviently have a large edge to give you more air time not Big air as you would think when going high speed into ramp.

Some thoughts / suggestions about how i think it could work better,

Mount has 3 stamina bars like jackal except it represent speed boost tier 1 2 3, 3 for max speed but 1 is enough to get big air and start building up for higher tiers so when mounting you could start with 1 and spawn it at a convient ramp to build up higher tier. Trick = 1 stam bar, if current speed = tier 1 activate another tier 1 for tier 2 speed and so on.

Big air i feel needs change as going over any sort of ramp dont really give big air, pressing spacebar at right time to get higher air would be nice addition.

If i am missing a mechanic to get these big air please let me know as during the training course where you have a ramp to go through checkpoint there really is no big air despite the ramp you just go over the edge pretty much.

Another suggestion for Big air could be speed boost is based on holding down the boost button and on release at right time on ramp you gain higher altitude ( bigger big air)

No mount is gonna be replaced by the awesome beetle, even if it was upgraded to have faster endurance gain.

For one, the most annoying part is that it can't jump... SO

Why would I cease to play Raptor or any other mount when sometimes you need a fast/jumping mount, such as the dino?

I like the suggestion for a 3 stage boost. It would resolve the issue of the beetle taking so painfully long to be of any use at all. It would also help when you end up on an incline, where the physics cause the beetle to slow its roll. If you could just get it moving right away and then build up speed it would be a lot better than it is now.

Big air definitely needs to be reworked. It just doesn't work very well and even when it does what it's supposed to do, it just isn't useful. Perhaps find a way to let us do some tricks on the ground to increase endurance regen and get those boosts moving faster? I think this would work really well in combination with the multi-stage boost concept.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> I think too many people is trying to use the beetle as a main mount. not getting its only meant to be situational. Already seen plenty of people asking if its making raptor obsolete.

Why would you want to limit such a fun mount to such a few amount of areas?