Beetle endurance

The way the beetle is right now makes it a useless gimmick. The first endurance bar takes so long to build up that by the time it fills I could already be at my destination using any other mount. I don't actually have to cross an entire map when I'm doing map completion, I just need to get to the next spot a few hundred feet away. The beetle also runs the risk of massive slow-down if you hit an object or go up a hill. The jackal goes the same speed uphill, downhill, around 90 degree corners, etc. The jackal and raptor are simply superior for getting across large distances because they are more reliable, have their endurance full from the start, and agility to maneuver around obstacles. Even if the beetle started from full endurance, it would still be a niche mount because of it's lack of verticality, lack of maneuverability, and loss of speed when hitting obstacles.

OP didn't mention how ANet might rebalance the other mounts so that they wouldn't become all-but-worthless. Yes, _waiting_ for the beetle to build endurance is dull, which is why I only go to Beetle for long-distance traveling, for fun, for farming volatile magic, or for the few walls that require it. That means that Jackal is still best for short-distance runs, raptor for open plains & leaps. If PT has full endurance, then there'd rarely be a reason to consider the others.

What I'd rather see is partial endurance abilities. For example, at 1/3, you can boost a little (to move faster than swiftness), but not enough to smash or do tricks... and then you have to wait for full endurance.

I haven't used it enough to really make an informed choice about endurance.

Therein lies the problem. It's a gimmicky ride. Even in Kourna, there are better option. FOr instance: the lowly skimmer is a better option owing to the amount of water in the map. I can start up by the farm and make it to Gandarra much faster on a skimmer than the beetle.

The charge speed and all that is fine. The only thing I'd really change is that I'd like it to be able to boost even if the bar is not full yet. Look at the Raptor for example. You need a full segment to reach the longest possible jump, but you can start with half a segment for a smaller distance. I think that Beetle should have this mechanic as well. Being able to use Endurance for a smaller effect even if the bar is not filled.

I like the idea of increasing the rate of endurance gain when going down a decline. I’m kind of torn, though. On one hand, we have to consider things like inertia and momentum (assuming the feeling of immersion is important; it is to me). And on the other hand, our saddle has a rocket booster, which should overcome the inertia problem.

I don't think that starting with 0 endurance is an issue. Giving the beetle full endurance at start would undermine the other mounts. Currently every mount, including the beetle, has it's situational uses.

That said, I would love to be able to apply bursts in smaller doses. Maybe I don't want to burn it all before reaching that corner. Maybe I want to keep some endurance for after that. Maybe I landed a trick badly but still want to burst a bit even though my endurance bar isn't completely filled. I think instead of a 1-button-spends-it-all ability, this should be a continuous ability like the griffon dive.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> OP didn't mention how ANet might rebalance the other mounts so that they wouldn't become all-but-worthless. Yes, _waiting_ for the beetle to build endurance is dull, which is why I only go to Beetle for long-distance traveling, for fun, for farming volatile magic, or for the few walls that require it. That means that Jackal is still best for short-distance runs, raptor for open plains & leaps. If PT has full endurance, then there'd rarely be a reason to consider the others.

>

> What I'd rather see is partial endurance abilities. For example, at 1/3, you can boost a little (to move faster than swiftness), but not enough to smash or do tricks... and then you have to wait for full endurance.

This thread should stay focused on the beetle, since I think most are happy with the balance of the other mounts. If the suggestion for the beetle makes them OP, than you're probably not understanding to point of this thread.

As for your suggestion, I think it's pretty good, and it's a shame I hadn't thought of it during the initial poll making. (It's pretty similar to my smaller more frequent burst suggestion, but would be best if you could control how much to spend)

I'm very happy with this thread so far. I think it'll help the devs do any small balance changes (if needed) to this new mount, so it feels like it falls in line with the other mounts.

Personally, I've been really enjoying it, but I'm still waiting to vote myself. There are moments that it feels great, but then there are times it feels very clunky... If you're just starting in a map and trying to choose your desired direction, you decide on a direction, mount up and then realize you have to wait 15 seconds. (Back of my mind is screaming: "why didn't I think to mount up while I was checking my map..." or times where I speak with an npc and get dismounted, but can't take back off afterwards.

I'm probably leaning to a quicker start up, but this poll's suggestions are starting points. Of course the devs could have them start with 33% endurance or 75% endurance. It's just a way to guide them towards the communities feeling about this new mount.

> @"Loboling.5293" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > OP didn't mention how ANet might rebalance the other mounts so that they wouldn't become all-but-worthless. Yes, _waiting_ for the beetle to build endurance is dull, which is why I only go to Beetle for long-distance traveling, for fun, for farming volatile magic, or for the few walls that require it. That means that Jackal is still best for short-distance runs, raptor for open plains & leaps. If PT has full endurance, then there'd rarely be a reason to consider the others.

> >

> > What I'd rather see is partial endurance abilities. For example, at 1/3, you can boost a little (to move faster than swiftness), but not enough to smash or do tricks... and then you have to wait for full endurance.

>

> This thread should stay focused on the beetle, since I think most are happy with the balance of the other mounts. If the suggestion for the beetle makes them OP, than you're probably not understanding to point of this thread.

'Balance' considers not just how the Beetle compares. If all ANet did was change things so that you could have top speed instantly, then 80% of the time, everyone would take PT instead of Jackal or Raptor. It would make node-farming ridiculously faster, which would have an economic impact.

I'm not saying, do something else to the other mounts. I'm saying: it's not sufficient to buff the Beetle without concern for anything else.

>

> As for your suggestion, I think it's pretty good, and it's a shame I hadn't thought of it during the initial poll making. (It's pretty similar to my smaller more frequent burst suggestion, but would be best if you could control how much to spend)

Thanks.

That's the problem with Polls, is that they can't take into account things the writer hasn't had a chance to consider. Usually, I think the more interesting discussion is just to ask the question, without the poll, e.g. "how would you make the Beetle more fun?" And then, add each interesting suggestion in edits to the original post. If you think there are 4-5 good ideas, follow up with another poll to make it easier to see the consensus.