The maximum gold you ever had in your wallet?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly never manage to save my gold. As a mainly open world/WvW player I don't make alot anyways, so 100g is a week of very hard work for me (been meaning to get into fractals forever, some day....)

The highest I've had has probably been a tad over 300 gold for the commander tag. I've been saving up for Dawn to create Sunrise (my first leggy) forever, but Anet always ruins it for me by releasing some limited-time gem-shop item I ABSOLUTELY need to have, and there goes my gold again. Yeah I know, the items always return at SOME point, but I just can't resist.

I'm going to just throw money at it at some point when I can, because hey, after 5+ years I think I deserve a legendary, one way or another.

I hover around 2-5k liquid gold when liquidating investments; often around noteworthy "events" (seasonal events but also releases of new legendaries, expansions, ...). I usually reinvest / spend down to ~1k fairly quickly. I don't really buy any fashion; only convenience / account upgrades / gear optimization.

Not playing fashionwars + clearing raids once a week = easy game.

Raid clears give a full ascended set every 3-4 weeks with maybe 15 hours of work (that's 4-5 hours for a clear; which is twice as much as you need) plus a good amount of gold. Compared to fashion / exclusive items, everything in this game is relatively cheap. Don't waste your cash on fashion and even without making any gold you'll save it up slowly.

Around 5.5-6k is most I had. Made and sold Eternity to unlock Sunrise/Twilight skins. I'm a little fish flipper/TP player and I usually try to keep 2500-3000 around to invest, flip, take advantage of patch changes, etc. and make sure that I have enough of a buffer to have coin to invest if something takes a while to sell. 4k is my spending spree threshold and I'll usually go nuts buying stuff once I hit it and then drop right back down to the usual range.

Something around 2.5k-3k, a couple of times, after selling things like legendaries, permanent/endless contracts etc. It never stays high with me, I almost always spent it immediately.

The max amount of gold in your wallet says nothing about how much you've had to invest beforehand to get there (like the cost of crafting a legendary), so the number doesn't really have a meaning. What really matters is the value of the items on your account (gear, skins etc.), of which most are a constant endeavor to acquire (people rarely save up enough for, let's say, a full set of ascended gear; many craft/buy things piece by piece as soon as they have accumulated enough gold).

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> Something around 2.5k-3k, a couple of times, after selling things like legendaries, permanent/endless contracts etc. It never stays high with me, I almost always spent it immediately.

>

> The max amount of gold in your wallet says nothing about how much you've had to invest beforehand to get there (like the cost of crafting a legendary), so the number doesn't really have a meaning. What really matters is the value of the items on your account (gear, skins etc.), of which most are a constant endeavor to acquire (people rarely save up enough for, let's say, a full set of ascended gear; many craft/buy things piece by piece as soon as they have accumulated enough gold).

I was just thinking exactly this. There's a lot of people here saying they never have much gold because they keep buying stuff and others saying they have a lot of gold because they rarely buy anything. I suspect if we were comparing account values instead of gold in the wallet there would be much less variation and a lot of that could be explained by play time.

Of course it still wouldn't be the same. Someone who plays a few hours a night and spends it doing the daily achievements, daily fractals and maybe a run through Palawadan and then raids one a week would have a much higher account value than someone like me who spends their time doing map completion (slowly, with plenty of time to take screenshots), re-playing low level stories and wandering around trying to find that one mastery point in HoT without using a guide.

> @"Jarl Petter Hinrik.1409" said:

> I hear a lot of players mentioning gold as it was peanuts... It makes me laugh because I've been a player since guild wars 2's launch and the most gold I ever had in my wallet at a time was 17 gold, lol. I seem to always find a way to spend my hard-earnt cash on who knows what... I feel I will get 250 gold for the griffon in 5 years maybe and the legendary in 10? ;P What about you, fellow casual players?

The good news is, you only need 25 gold at a time for the griffon! Do that 10 times and you have your fluffy new griffon!

Personally, I've never went above 1k gold. Whenever I reach that, it seems I want to craft a new legendary and bye bye gold.

> @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> > @"Jarl Petter Hinrik.1409" said:

> > I hear a lot of players mentioning gold as it was peanuts... It makes me laugh because I've been a player since guild wars 2's launch and the most gold I ever had in my wallet at a time was 17 gold, lol. I seem to always find a way to spend my hard-earnt cash on who knows what... I feel I will get 250 gold for the griffon in 5 years maybe and the legendary in 10? ;P What about you, fellow casual players?

>

> The good news is, you only need 25 gold at a time for the griffon! Do that 10 times and you have your fluffy new griffon!

>

> Personally, I've never went above 1k gold. Whenever I reach that, it seems I want to craft a new legendary and bye bye gold.

Meanwhile I seem to have the stupid habit of deciding to craft a legendary at times when I have almost no gold.

Luckily I'm never in a hurry to get it done, and the first thing I do is make a giant 'shopping list' of all the things I'll need and what step they're for so I can plan ahead. I start the things I know are going to take me the longest first, even if I won't need them for ages and I start collecting materials or make sure to save the ones I have. I try to combine things as well, like gathering materials while doing map completion or getting the 77 mystic clovers before the Gifts of Might & Magic so if I get T6 mats instead of clovers they're still useful for me.

> @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> > @"Jarl Petter Hinrik.1409" said:

> > I hear a lot of players mentioning gold as it was peanuts... It makes me laugh because I've been a player since guild wars 2's launch and the most gold I ever had in my wallet at a time was 17 gold, lol. I seem to always find a way to spend my hard-earnt cash on who knows what... I feel I will get 250 gold for the griffon in 5 years maybe and the legendary in 10? ;P What about you, fellow casual players?

>

Also played since launch. I have never looted anything worth over 30g. Most I have ever had was under 400g. I usally run around with around 100g. I never spend gold much, the griffin was my biggest cost by far. Never had a ledgendary.

Around 3500 - but I made a conscious effort not to overspend. If I found my bank dropping by more than a couple hundred gold I'd hold off on unnecessary purchases until it got back up again. Since then I've been spending on mats for ascended gear and have dropped to about 1700.

I think the mistake a lot of players make is to buy the game, boost to 80, and expect to find the gold to buy griffon mount, etc. just lying around. The fact is you build it up incrementally as you level. One thing I did was not to do any crafting before lvl 80. So I sold all mats. This way, by the time I hit lvl 80 and was ready to start using whatever was on hand for my crafting, I had a bank of a few hundred gold.

> @"Arlette.9684" said:

> I find that having over 500g and not investing is a poor strategy.

I am feeling the same, I like to have my own high economy on MMORPGs (this is my second one tho) and I find myself passively farming Gold just for the sake of it, I'm currently happy with my armorset/dye choice and I dont have any objetive to go with Gold, maybe a legendary in a future but i've seen the gallery and I didn't find one that I'd like to get, and I'm too stingy with gold that I wouldn't buy gems, or buy permanents from TP because I think they're very expensive. The best use I have found yet is to ask for commissions with gold when the opportunity comes.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> Currently I have 4,134 gold, but I've had up around 8000 at one point. I have a guild full of casuals that have their griffon, so it's probably more an issue of not knowing or not trying to get more. Because there's no way if you've played since launch you should have 17 gold max.

Three people in my house play casual, 2 have never had over 150g, and I have never broken 400g. Casual, open world play gives little gold. We have all played on and off since launch. I have no idea what content gives 1,000s of gold.