Mastery points

welns.3245

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is unlikely to ever happen, as then players could use the same 20-25 Mastery Points to fulfill the Mastery track they wanted to use at the time. They could just keep shuffling them around.

Not to mention, it would not facilitate encouraging players to play in the different content/maps released.

I think it is unlikely even as a one-time-only type of thing.

Good luck.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > And why would you want that?

>

> Because it is fun to experience leveling them up again after you have unlocked them for ages.

Maybe to you. But that would mean not only resetting your mastery points but also the achievements. I doubt very many people would want to redo all that and it seems unlikely ArenaNet would want to mess with both the mastery points and the achievements.

Just make another account and buy the game again. Then you can start everything over. That should be loads of fun.

> @"CJH.2879" said:

> I think a one time mastery reset should be available at the gem store, it would help ANET with more $$ & would also benefit the player base at the same time. Just an idea.... =)

It depends. There is a cost involved for them to make changes to the mastery and achievement system and all that it's linked to basically. There is a risk involved in that you don't want to break anything in the process either. Then once you have done this, you have to feel like enough people will want to buy this and pay back the resource costs for making the change and then turn a profit afterwards.

Somehow I don't feel the math adds up for this idea.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> It depends. There is a cost involved for them to make changes to the mastery and achievement system and all that it's linked to basically. There is a risk involved in that you don't want to break anything in the process either. Then once you have done this, you have to feel like enough people will want to buy this and pay back the resource costs for making the change and then turn a profit afterwards.

>

> Somehow I don't feel the math adds up for this idea.

Predicting whether or not enough players would invest in such an idea to make it profitable enough is always a risk, however thats also a part of the business world. I personally believe it would sell, in both the short & long term + would indeed be very profitable (but of course thats my own opinion).

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > And why would you want that?

> >

> > Because it is fun to experience leveling them up again after you have unlocked them for ages.

>

> Maybe to you. But that would mean not only resetting your mastery points but also the achievements. I doubt very many people would want to redo all that and it seems unlikely ArenaNet would want to mess with both the mastery points and the achievements.

>

> Just make another account and buy the game again. Then you can start everything over. That should be loads of fun.

No, just the experience, not the points themselves.

And I do own several accounts, I do experience a fresh start whenever I want. But I would like that on my main. Many people feel this way, but it will never get changed so whatever

> @"welns.3245" said:

> I think there should be option either free or with currency to reset your mastery points.

Since at some point you will get more than enough mastery points to unlock everything, plus have lots of leftover points, I see no point in a reset system. It serves no purpose and it will be something completely useless for every player when they reach that point.

You don't need to reset the points. What you need is the ability to unlock tracks when you actually start doing something. Like it is done with raids.

You want to do fractals? Do your first fractal and the track should be unlocked.

You want to do legendary crafting? Make legendary precursor and this should reveal the track.

Atm you have a few rather useless mastery tracks unless the player starts doing the said activity (legendary or fractals). This creates hunger for points, especially in core Tyria and it feels like all the xp gathered is wasted unless you have the points to invest.

There are a few reasons to allow for the one time reset... for example: A player may have accidentally invested in the wrong trait line early on & wants to switch, they may have more difficulty then other players obtaining mastery points from certain maps (yes it happens) or quite simply they may just want the convenience of a quick reset. If the ability is there & you don't want to use it then thats fine, but for everyone else they would have the option available (if needed). =)

> @"CJH.2879" said:

> There are a few reasons to allow for the one time reset... for example: A player may have accidentally invested in the wrong trait line early on & wants to switch, they may have more difficulty then other players obtaining mastery points from certain maps (yes it happens) or quite simply they may just want the convenience of a quick reset. If the ability is there & you don't want to use it then thats fine, but for everyone else they would have the option available (if needed). =)

And what if they do the same mistake again later? If this "Feature" is implemented to help correct accidents, then the moment it's added as a one time thing, there will be demand to get more resets. After all, someone might have multiple "accidents". This is a really bad idea, other than the fact that you can master everything and have loads of leftovers, something like this would allow someone to bypass the mastery system in the first place. Get a few mastery abilities while at VB, then swap them for different ones when you reach AB. If it's a one time thing, swap at TD or anything like that.

I never said to allow for multiple resets of the mastery points because then of course it would be abused. I think people would understand the core reasons as to why ANET wouldn't allow for more then a single use of this. If some people have all there mastery's unlocked already, then i say this, leave this option open for those that don't & whom want to use it.

> @"CJH.2879" said:

> I think people would understand the core reasons as to why ANET wouldn't allow for more then a single use of this.

No they wouldn't because people don't pay attention. The assumption would be that if you can reset it once then you can reset it again. If an accident happens once how do you guaranteed that it can't happen a second time? A third? So why should it stop at one reset?

> @"CJH.2879" said:

> I never said to allow for multiple resets of the mastery points because then of course it would be abused. I think people would understand the core reasons as to why ANET wouldn't allow for more then a single use of this. If some people have all there mastery's unlocked already, then i say this, leave this option open for those that don't & whom want to use it.

Actually, I don't understand why ANet would want to implement this at all. If you make a mistake, then you can earn more mastery points and levels those up. I made at least three mistakes leveling mine. Especially for HoT, I wished I had done them in a different order and I wasn't spend that much time there, so I wasn't accumulating points all that quickly (even now, I wish they hadn't added adventures or tied m-points to them). And even so, it didn't take long for me to get back on track.

This feature, which isn't free to design, test, and implement, would only be useful to a fraction of players and then only once at most (or once per expansion). That's a lot of effort for little benefit, _especially_ when the solution/workaround already exists.

At first I we going to say there are SO MANY mastery points for each area but then I realized that for me it's because everything is unlocked. So yes I just got the easy ones and still filed them all up. Might be different without season 2(core) and season 3(hot) and all the pof ones.

Then again you can get those and they aren't that much.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"CJH.2879" said:

> > I think people would understand the core reasons as to why ANET wouldn't allow for more then a single use of this.

>

> No they wouldn't because people don't pay attention. The assumption would be that if you can reset it once then you can reset it again. If an accident happens once how do you guaranteed that it can't happen a second time? A third? So why should it stop at one reset?

>

Because as I said the ability to mastery reset would be abused if allowed more then once (this ability is a one time convenience which would mostly help out newer players). This discussion for it, is for players that want the option, not for those that already have completed both expansions along with the associated mastery points (because for them the discussion is a completely moot point). If ANET wants to implement it to help newer players out then great, if they find it a complete waste of resources then thats entirely up to them.