graphical upgrade and enhanced combat, attack animations will take guild wars 2 long way

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> I’d say an entire engine overhaul is in order as unrealistic though that prospect may be.

>

> The current one is starting to show it’s age (kinda crazy just how old the game is by now when you think about it).

I'd disagree. Central Tyria and other older content is showing its age, but if you look at PoF, LS4 and new fractals like Deepstone, you'll see the engine has come along way..ArenaNet just hasn't gone back and updated the core game to use the newer technologies they've added.

What this thread should say is: We need a new NPE (New Player Experience).

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > I’d say an entire engine overhaul is in order as unrealistic though that prospect may be.

> >

> > The current one is starting to show it’s age (kinda crazy just how old the game is by now when you think about it).

>

> I'd disagree. Central Tyria and other older content is showing its age, but if you look at PoF, LS4 and new fractals like Deepstone, you'll see the engine has come along way..ArenaNet just hasn't gone back and updated the core game to use the newer technologies they've added.

>

> What this thread should say is: We need a new NPE (New Player Experience).

I’m not necessarily talking about graphics. On the whole the engine is terribly outdated.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > I’d say an entire engine overhaul is in order as unrealistic though that prospect may be.

> >

> > The current one is starting to show it’s age (kinda crazy just how old the game is by now when you think about it).

>

> I'd disagree. Central Tyria and other older content is showing its age, but if you look at PoF, LS4 and new fractals like Deepstone, you'll see the engine has come along way..ArenaNet just hasn't gone back and updated the core game to use the newer technologies they've added.

>

> What this thread should say is: We need a new NPE (New Player Experience).

This is also true for armor skins. Looking back at the earlier "prestige" skins the detail is pretty basic compared to up to date PoF armor skins.

> @"Whitworth.7259" said:

> > @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > > @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > > I’d say an entire engine overhaul is in order as unrealistic though that prospect may be.

> > >

> > > The current one is starting to show it’s age (kinda crazy just how old the game is by now when you think about it).

> >

> > I'd disagree. Central Tyria and other older content is showing its age, but if you look at PoF, LS4 and new fractals like Deepstone, you'll see the engine has come along way..ArenaNet just hasn't gone back and updated the core game to use the newer technologies they've added.

> >

> > What this thread should say is: We need a new NPE (New Player Experience).

>

> This is also true for armor skins. Looking back at the earlier "prestige" skins the detail is pretty basic compared to up to date PoF armor skins.

Which is a shame because a lot of them are conceptually very nice. I really like the Scallywag heavy set (the pirate-gladiator) as it is one of the few “skimpy” heavy sets for males.

But the texture quality is such a step backwards... :anguished:

Anet should force combat mode/camera for range weapons ;D

wanna pew pew.. theres your aim (aim toward target still have the tab key effect, while cross aim is on the target), it is actually easy to swap target of even hit several targets rather than use the select target or tab trough enemies.

This could work really nice with 1st person camera.

Gw2 needs to be less tab target and spam... if they really want to continue calling themselves has a action mmo developers xD

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> Anet should force combat mode/camera for range weapons ;D

>

> wanna pew pew.. theres your aim (aim toward target still have the tab key effect, while cross aim is on the target), it is actually easy to swap target of even hit several targets rather than use the select target or tab trough enemies.

>

> Gw2 needs to be less tab target and spam... if they really want to continue calling themselves has a action mmo developers xD

Before that can even work, everything would also have to be far less mobile, and collision implemented on all models. I've played shooters in my day to know that, without aim assist, few would be able to hit anything in this game with a projectile at their current velocities, plus also have to manage dodging, defenses and sufficient 360 awareness, and keeping a target from simply walking through you to get out of your firing arc.

They already made many changes to the graphics of the game, comparing a core map with a path of fire map is day and night. If you are asking to bring that kind of graphic quality to the core maps then I'd say core maps might need an overhaul in general but Arenanet doesn't seem to care about the early game experience at all.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > Anet should force combat mode/camera for range weapons ;D

> >

> > wanna pew pew.. theres your aim (aim toward target still have the tab key effect, while cross aim is on the target), it is actually easy to swap target of even hit several targets rather than use the select target or tab trough enemies.

> >

> > Gw2 needs to be less tab target and spam... if they really want to continue calling themselves has a action mmo developers xD

>

> Before that can even work, everything would also have to be far less mobile, and collision implemented on all models. I've played shooters in my day to know that, without aim assist, few would be able to hit anything in this game with a projectile at their current velocities, plus also have to manage dodging, defenses and sufficient 360 awareness, and keeping a target from simply walking through you to get out of your firing arc.

In terms of mobility, the values need only to be reduced, IMO that would not be a issue apart for those players who want to be everywhere w/o much effort.

For the range weapon animation should be more visible, most ranger bow stuff gets invisible due aoe cluuter and visuals, also arrow visuals will bork due range, Anet never cared to change that....

The 360 would be issue for those who choose the 1st camera, on dungeons and pve... wont make a diferent :\ its a super dull pve anyway.

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > > Anet should force combat mode/camera for range weapons ;D

> > >

> > > wanna pew pew.. theres your aim (aim toward target still have the tab key effect, while cross aim is on the target), it is actually easy to swap target of even hit several targets rather than use the select target or tab trough enemies.

> > >

> > > Gw2 needs to be less tab target and spam... if they really want to continue calling themselves has a action mmo developers xD

> >

> > Before that can even work, everything would also have to be far less mobile, and collision implemented on all models. I've played shooters in my day to know that, without aim assist, few would be able to hit anything in this game with a projectile at their current velocities, plus also have to manage dodging, defenses and sufficient 360 awareness, and keeping a target from simply walking through you to get out of your firing arc.

>

> In terms of mobility, the values need only to be reduced, IMO that would not be a issue apart for those players who want to be everywhere w/o much effort.

> For the range weapon animation should be more visible, most ranger bow stuff gets invisible due aoe cluuter and visuals, also arrow visuals will bork due range, Anet never cared to change that....

> The 360 would be issue for those who choose the 1st camera, on dungeons and pve... wont make a diferent :\ its a super dull pve anyway.

You still have a limited field of view though, and you have to take into account the viewing angles and how they factor into line of sight and level of precision. 3PV on the Action cam actually requires higher precision, since its defining a point of impact to which the targeting system is doing the normal tab-target math to accomplish. You're not just accounting for a direction, you have to be aware of the angle to point of impact, obstacle layout from a isometric view, and lead the target without being able to define things like height of the target, or compensate for arc (which bows do have). These issues are almost non-existent in a 1PV, since your view point has 1:1 line of sight. The above is why nearly every 3PV shooter goes with an in-close over the shoulder view point, specifically to avoid the disconnect created by the isometric view angles with a cursor thats supposed to have a 1:1 relationship with projectile aiming.

The delay in projectile firing and flight time simply exacerbates this issue further..... and its only the fact that the tab targeting is doing most of the work, that this game's combat system functions at the level it does. As much as I want to love action cam, the nature of it causes an increasing number of problems the faster or more precise a player's action has to be.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > > @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > > > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > > > Anet should force combat mode/camera for range weapons ;D

> > > >

> > > > wanna pew pew.. theres your aim (aim toward target still have the tab key effect, while cross aim is on the target), it is actually easy to swap target of even hit several targets rather than use the select target or tab trough enemies.

> > > >

> > > > Gw2 needs to be less tab target and spam... if they really want to continue calling themselves has a action mmo developers xD

> > >

> > > Before that can even work, everything would also have to be far less mobile, and collision implemented on all models. I've played shooters in my day to know that, without aim assist, few would be able to hit anything in this game with a projectile at their current velocities, plus also have to manage dodging, defenses and sufficient 360 awareness, and keeping a target from simply walking through you to get out of your firing arc.

> >

> > In terms of mobility, the values need only to be reduced, IMO that would not be a issue apart for those players who want to be everywhere w/o much effort.

> > For the range weapon animation should be more visible, most ranger bow stuff gets invisible due aoe cluuter and visuals, also arrow visuals will bork due range, Anet never cared to change that....

> > The 360 would be issue for those who choose the 1st camera, on dungeons and pve... wont make a diferent :\ its a super dull pve anyway.

>

> You still have a limited field of view though, and you have to take into account the viewing angles and how they factor into line of sight and level of precision. 3PV on the **Action cam actually requires higher precision, since its defining a point of impact to which the targeting system is doing the normal tab-target math to accomplish. ** You're not just accounting for a direction, you have to be aware of the angle to point of impact, obstacle layout from a isometric view, and lead the target without being able to define things like height of the target, or compensate for arc (which bows do have). These issues are almost non-existent in a 1PV, since your view point has 1:1 line of sight. The above is why nearly every 3PV shooter goes with an in-close over the shoulder view point, specifically to avoid the disconnect created by the isometric view angles with a cursor thats supposed to have a 1:1 relationship with projectile aiming.

>

> The delay in projectile firing and flight time simply exacerbates this issue further..... and its only the fact that the tab targeting is doing most of the work, that this game's combat system functions at the level it does. As much as I want to love action cam, **the nature of it causes an increasing number of problems the faster or more precise a player's action has to be.**

>

>

If i recall the cam on the action cam the camera stay behind the toon right ?

And we can still change the camera on the options as well..

That's actually what FPS are for... u need decent aim, reflex, and awereness, u cant be simply waiting a game to do everything for ya? oh wait this is gw2 xD.

> @"acelara orion.4210" said:

> if a graphical advanced mmo like BDO are pumping out a remastered graphics(i know bdo is kinda trash but graphics and combat is a+) __dont u think its about time for gw2 to advance to next gen? a little bit graphican upgrade and enhance combat animation will take u a long way

>

>

>

Nope to OP'S. I don't agree. Game has other issues that need's to be adressed way before Graphics. Graphics will not save this game.

Something I've been thinking about lately: all these MMOs with flashy and cool combat tend to have really anemic content. Like if complainers here think that GW2's content is a bit lean, it's nothing compared to a Korean action-MMO.

Like, Black Desert Online has pretty much no group PvE content. You either grind mobs solo in the open world, or you go do PvP.

I have no idea if that's connected to the combat, like if maybe designing and maintaining combat like that requires so much work that there's little left to spend on content, or if it's just that Western developers are better at making good MMO content and worse at making good MMO combat than Eastern developers are. I have no idea. But I do find it really interesting how sharp that divide is.

(One potential counterexample is FFXIV, though really that's a Western-style MMO that just happens to be developed and run by a Japanese company.)

Anyway, sure, GW2 could use some polishing up. Most MMOs that live a long time have their engines and graphics improved incrementally over time. Just compare WoW's graphics today to its graphics 14 years ago and you'll see what I mean. A total and complete overhaul that puts GW2 on the same level as Black Desert is unbelievably unlikely, though, and not really necessary, either.

> @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> I would enjoy more cartoon-ish graphics (like WoW and BotW).

I'd love an MMORPG with graphics like Breath of the Wild. I doubt GW2 would ever go that route--I can't imagine a radical shift in art style in an active MMORPG would make any sense at all--but, y'know, some hypothetical other game could do a lot with that kind of style, I bet.

An engine overhaul is pretty overdue at this point i think, and an update on alot of the older weapons and armors in the game.

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> Anet should force combat mode/camera for range weapons ;D

>

I cant tell if you are joking or not, but if you arent, No, i like my third person view and i want to keep it, this isnt a first person shooter, and first person view in this game makes me sick, so no.

ranged combat isnt even that much problem. just look how ugly mesmer and necro basic attack animation is. Compare it to staff animation from dragon age inquisition. if i had staff in my hand why would i use my left hand to throw stuff? ____and some of the GS and sword animation are clunky ..........engine overhaul is a big thing but we need redefined combat. pumping out LS,making chairs isnt gonna save the game. Make dungeons viable again,redefine wvw(i know they are up to it), giv us questline like u did with 3 weapons,giv us something like factions, and giv us better ANIMATIONS.