Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> So, what’s the deal with all these 3rd Party Programs. Popdeem? KFT? LevelUp Consulting? Seems like one giant looping mess now :anguished:

> I’m still waiting to hear back from my email to LevelUp Support regarding GDPR request, right to be forgotten. Keep ya posted.

LevelUp is a payment company (or an app developer maybe). I already have an app for SweetGreen (a salad place) and my charges at that restaurant get listed as LevelUp. Hopefully they are not sharing my cc info with kft now!

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> What the kitten!!!!! I went into my card list on the kft app and it lists my credit card for sweetgreen. This is NOT NOT NOT a place I want having access to my credit card data!

Well since its the same company i guess its stored in the levelup data base and are automaticly used on apps they are partnered with.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > What the kitten!!!!! I went into my card list on the kft app and it lists my credit card for sweetgreen. This is NOT NOT NOT a place I want having access to my credit card data!

>

> Well since its the same company i guess its stored in the levelup data base and are automaticly used on apps they are partnered with.

Yes, it seems they are tying cc information to the main user record, not that for a store and a user. From a security POV that is a TERRIBLE idea.

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > @"Tsar CUBE.9281" said:

> > > @"Angelica Dream.7103" said:

> > > Honestly, I think most of the people here just want the shirt. If Anet would just do a general release of it to everyone. This whole mess would settle down.

> > >

> >

> > I personally actually want the heroic edition so I can get the legacy armour box. I have been waiting to get my hands on the Profane Armour set for a while now and this seems like the only way to get it these days. The T-shirt would be a nice add-on but not my real concern :P

>

> It's currently also available for 25 [black Lion Statuettes](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Statuette "Black Lion Statuettes"), in the Special Items section. I think this was changed only last week at the same time they updated the Black Lion Chests, so I expect that they'll be there for a while.

Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea. Still... I don't have any "sane" way of getting 15 more statues >_<

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> What the kitten!!!!! I went into my card list on the kft app and it lists my credit card for sweetgreen. This is NOT NOT NOT a place I want having access to my credit card data!

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> Looks like I can not remove it without removing it from sweetgreen. Kitten. Warning to anyone who uses another payment app on their phone, check to make sure your credit card is not already in the kft app unless you want it to be!

You did just say that both the Sweetgreen app and the KFT app use the same payment company. So it's probably that the payment company has your details and it just shows up in any app which uses them. But if you're concerned you could contact them and ask.

The KFT app doesn't show any payment info for me, or any info except what it got from the Facebook account I linked.

A couple of FYIs:

* It's very common to restrict countries in promotions/contests. In particular, there are only a few companies that offer these in Canada & the US who also include Quebec. That's because that province's rules are much more restrictive and would increase the costs to the point it's not worth it.

* According to KFT, they never intended for this to be non-US (again, probably for legal reasons), but (a) obviously they were bad at making that clear and (b) even worse about preventing anyone from signing up who wasn't going to be eligible.

* As others have said, the promotion includes a free copy of the core game (no expansions) to anyone who links the app to applicable social media. That means a stack of mystic coins per year for the honest player, and all sorts of shenanigans for the dishonest ones. Guess which of those is likely to set up bots to get lots of codes?

* The US does have laws that require contests to have a no-purchase method of entry. And you can do that with the contest aspect simply by using anyone else's photo of the specific tea; no need to visit a store or buy your own.

* Gaile has said that she'll get back to us when she has more to report. To the best of my recollection, she has **always** done so, even if the response time isn't to our liking.

I think it's clear that KFT wasn't prepared for the volume of responses. I think it's also clear that people at both companies failed to consider the attractiveness of free copies of the game. And most of all, I think that both companies fail to recognize how easy it is to alleviate the main concern that they aren't considering any of the issues — how hard is it to say,

> We're sorry that the promotion/contest has run into issues. We value your time and loyalty and we're working to resolve the various issues as quickly as we can. When we know more, we'll tell you. And if we can, we'll also tell us what we've learned for the future, so our customers don't have to go through this again. Thanks for your patience, regards ...

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > What the kitten!!!!! I went into my card list on the kft app and it lists my credit card for sweetgreen. This is NOT NOT NOT a place I want having access to my credit card data!

>

> > Looks like I can not remove it without removing it from sweetgreen. Kitten. Warning to anyone who uses another payment app on their phone, check to make sure your credit card is not already in the kft app unless you want it to be!

>

> You did just say that both the Sweetgreen app and the KFT app use the same payment company. So it's probably that the payment company has your details and it just shows up in any app which uses them. But if you're concerned you could contact them and ask.

>

> The KFT app doesn't show any payment info for me, or any info except what it got from the Facebook account I linked.

Yes, I know it is levelup but my point was it is a bad idea. Payment info should never be given to a merchant you did not give it to.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> A couple of FYIs:

> * It's very common to restrict countries in promotions/contests. In particular, there are only a few companies that offer these in Canada & the US who also include Quebec. That's because that province's rules are much more restrictive and would increase the costs to the point it's not worth it.

> * According to KFT, they never intended for this to be non-US (again, probably for legal reasons), but (a) obviously they were bad at making that clear and (b) even worse about preventing anyone from signing up who wasn't going to be eligible.

> * As others have said, the promotion includes a free copy of the core game (no expansions) to anyone who links the app to applicable social media. That means a stack of mystic coins per year for the honest player, and all sorts of shenanigans for the dishonest ones. Guess which of those is likely to set up bots to get lots of codes?

> * The US does have laws that require contests to have a no-purchase method of entry. And you can do that with the contest aspect simply by using anyone else's photo of the specific tea; no need to visit a store or buy your own.

> * Gaile has said that she'll get back to us when she has more to report. To the best of my recollection, she has **always** done so, even if the response time isn't to our liking.

>

> ****

> I think it's clear that KFT wasn't prepared for the volume of responses. I think it's also clear that people at both companies failed to consider the attractiveness of free copies of the game. And most of all, I think that both companies fail to recognize how easy it is to alleviate the main concern that they aren't considering any of the issues — how hard is it to say,

>

> > We're sorry that the promotion/contest has run into issues. We value your time and loyalty and we're working to resolve the various issues as quickly as we can. When we know more, we'll tell you. And if we can, we'll also tell us what we've learned for the future, so our customers don't have to go through this again. Thanks for your patience, regards ...

So.. that's all fine and dandy per se, but if it was always meant as a US only Promo why did ANET go to the trouble of translating and promo'ing across their EU launchers... that makes no sense unless your going to tell me they were in the dark about it all and some random coder just decided to slap the launcher together at the last minute with zero checks and accountability.

Nah, both parties are to blame here. ANET pulled there promo on the launcher when it became clear KFT had screwed up and I would hazard a guess there is some interesting conversations taking place. Not to mention EU players now, on appearance, have been potentially duped into offering out their social media info and wonder how the EU GDPR will look at this mess if there is a challenge put forward, which I would be surprised if there wasn't.

Seems to me ANET are walking from one hot potato to another at the moment, even if it's largely not of their own making.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > What the kitten!!!!! I went into my card list on the kft app and it lists my credit card for sweetgreen. This is NOT NOT NOT a place I want having access to my credit card data!

> >

> > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > Looks like I can not remove it without removing it from sweetgreen. Kitten. Warning to anyone who uses another payment app on their phone, check to make sure your credit card is not already in the kft app unless you want it to be!

> >

> > You did just say that both the Sweetgreen app and the KFT app use the same payment company. So it's probably that the payment company has your details and it just shows up in any app which uses them. But if you're concerned you could contact them and ask.

> >

> > The KFT app doesn't show any payment info for me, or any info except what it got from the Facebook account I linked.

>

> Yes, I know it is levelup but my point was it is a bad idea. Payment info should never be given to a merchant you did not give it to.

>

Well they havent given them to another merchant its still in their system becouse said merchant use same system as your other app it shows up in both.

I work with IT, and I live in a relatively large country, and here and there I get someone with a "sensational idea" saying something like "this guy is making millions with this app, it's being downloaded in the whole country, this app is so simple, we can make money from it too. " It's usually people who are not aware of how web servers work and think they just put an app on google play and will magically make money.

It seems to me the case of KFT, someone forgot to warn them that Guild Wars 2 is downloaded worldwide and their app is clearly not prepared to meet an world-wide over-demand. That explains the _"oops we must restrict to the USA, our crapy servers cant handle this"_. This has nothing to do with laws that no one cares.

> A couple of FYIs:

> * It's very common to restrict countries in promotions/contests. In particular, there are only a few companies that offer these in Canada & the US who also include Quebec. That's because that province's rules are much more restrictive and would increase the costs to the point it's not worth it.

Quebec law on promotional contest only affect contests offering prizes that have a marketable value above 100$.

What you're probably referring to with "increase the costs" is If a company make a commercial contest aimed at Quebec residents, they might be asked for a deposit if:

They don't have head of office in Quebec.

They were found guilty of an infraction to the law in the last year before the beginning of the contest.

The value of one or more of the prize available to Quebec resident is 5 000$ or above.

The value of the totality of the prize available to Quebec residents is 20 000$ or above.

Anet promotions and contests have never been affected by this since they never held a contest aimed at the resident of Quebec and the marketable value of any of their contest was never above 100$ anyway.

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> I work with IT, and I live in a relatively large country, and here and there I get someone with a "sensational idea" saying something like "this guy is making millions with this app, it's being downloaded in the whole country, this app is so simple, we can make money from it too. " It's usually people who are not aware of how web servers work and think they just put an app on google play and will magically make money.

>

> It seems to me the case of KFT, someone forgot to warn them that Guild Wars 2 is downloaded worldwide and their app is clearly not prepared to meet an world-wide over-demand. That explains the _"oops we must restrict to the USA, our crapy servers cant handle this"_. This has nothing to do with laws that no one cares.

>

One would think that would all be common sense in this day and age.

I hate returning here once a day and finding that there is no resolution yet. I have done all I can to retrieve the heroic edition codes from KFT, and the codes are not even for myself, they are for an active guildmate in Brazil that is limited to the restrictions of a free account. I hate growing impatient over this, but I am beginning to. :(

> @"Haishao.6851" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > A couple of FYIs:

> > * It's very common to restrict countries in promotions/contests. In particular, there are only a few companies that offer these in Canada & the US who also include Quebec. That's because that province's rules are much more restrictive and would increase the costs to the point it's not worth it.

>

> Quebec law on promotional contest only affect contests offering prizes that have a marketable value above 100$.

>

> What you're probably referring to with "increase the costs" is If a company make a commercial contest aimed at Quebec residents, they might be asked for a deposit if:

> They don't have head of office in Quebec.

> They were found guilty of an infraction to the law in the last year before the beginning of the contest.

> The value of one or more of the prize available to Quebec resident is 5 000$ or above.

> The value of the totality of the prize available to Quebec residents is 20 000$ or above.

>

> Anet promotions and contests have never been affected by this since they never held a contest aimed at the resident of Quebec and the marketable value of any of their contest was never above 100$ anyway.

I apologize that I made my point poorly. I brought up Quebec as an example of a place that some companies choose not to run contests. Sometimes it's the specific of the law that discourage companies, but sometimes it's just the existence of different rules. It's always cheaper to have to follow one set of rules than two, regardless of any of the details. Dealing with multiple regulatory agencies requires more time from in-house or external lawyers and the costs add up.

In the particular case of KFT, I'm not trying to explain their decision because I haven't the faintest idea. I'm only trying to acknowledge that there are reasons that make sense from a business point of view that won't be obvious to us as customers.

That said, it always confuses me that companies choose not to explain things like this. "Contest is restrict to the US because are promotion partner isn't licensed to offer such a promotion elsewhere" would go a long way to helping people understand.

> A couple of FYIs:

> * According to KFT, they never intended for this to be non-US (again, probably for legal reasons), but (a) obviously they were bad at making that clear and (b) even worse about preventing anyone from signing up who wasn't going to be eligible.

> * As others have said, the promotion includes a free copy of the core game (no expansions) to anyone who links the app to applicable social media. That means a stack of mystic coins per year for the honest player, and all sorts of shenanigans for the dishonest ones. Guess which of those is likely to set up bots to get lots of codes?

> * The US does have laws that require contests to have a no-purchase method of entry. And you can do that with the contest aspect simply by using anyone else's photo of the specific tea; no need to visit a store or buy your own.

> * Gaile has said that she'll get back to us when she has more to report. To the best of my recollection, she has **always** done so, even if the response time isn't to our liking.

>

> ****

> I think it's clear that KFT wasn't prepared for the volume of responses. I think it's also clear that people at both companies failed to consider the attractiveness of free copies of the game. And most of all, I think that both companies fail to recognize how easy it is to alleviate the main concern that they aren't considering any of the issues — how hard is it to say,

>

> > We're sorry that the promotion/contest has run into issues. We value your time and loyalty and we're working to resolve the various issues as quickly as we can. When we know more, we'll tell you. And if we can, we'll also tell us what we've learned for the future, so our customers don't have to go through this again. Thanks for your patience, regards ...

Problem is some non-US residents already claimed the rewards and have codes so they already broken their legal obligations regarding us contests laws. Now they are blaming bots and hackers for their mistake.

My guess, we will get an update from Anet close to the end of business day Friday. Then they will let the thread stew over the weekend and maybe eventually sink the thread. Thread sinking is an option available via the Vanilla forum software (what this forum runs on) that allows new posts to be made but won't bump it up on the forum page with each new post. So eventually it just falls off the page no matter how many new posts.

> @"JustTrogdor.7892" said:

> My guess, we will get an update from Anet close to the end of business day Friday. Then they will let the thread stew over the weekend and maybe eventually sink the thread. Thread sinking is an option available via the Vanilla forum software (what this forum runs on) that allows new posts to be made but won't bump it up on the forum page with each new post. So eventually it just falls off the page no matter how many new posts.

And that would be when people start going to other places to complain which are for more visible than the forums...wouldnt be smart to do that.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"JustTrogdor.7892" said:

> > My guess, we will get an update from Anet close to the end of business day Friday. Then they will let the thread stew over the weekend and maybe eventually sink the thread. Thread sinking is an option available via the Vanilla forum software (what this forum runs on) that allows new posts to be made but won't bump it up on the forum page with each new post. So eventually it just falls off the page no matter how many new posts.

>

> And that would be when people start going to other places to complain which are for more visible than the forums...wouldnt be smart to do that.

I can't confirm but I think they did that with a few other controversial threads already. At least is seemed to be what happened but maybe it was a bug.