Language in the game.

> @"sigur.9453" said:

> > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > @"sigur.9453" said:

> > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > > Ultimately, the whole issue of language barriers disapears if everyone stops radiating pride and starts speaking english.

> > > >

> > > > why not French or german?

> > >

> > > i think we can agree that english is seen as the "global language" ?!

> >

> > I thought that Mandarin is the "global language" given how many people speak it.

>

> While you are correct on "how many people speak it part", english is still the international language for trade. -> global language

I do wonder why ANet decided to add german, french and other translations (there should be a chinese version too), but ignore russian.

Then again the chat system is already ignoring greek, cyrillic and others.

> @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > @"sigur.9453" said:

> > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > @"sigur.9453" said:

> > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > > > Ultimately, the whole issue of language barriers disapears if everyone stops radiating pride and starts speaking english.

> > > > >

> > > > > why not French or german?

> > > >

> > > > i think we can agree that english is seen as the "global language" ?!

> > >

> > > I thought that Mandarin is the "global language" given how many people speak it.

> >

> > While you are correct on "how many people speak it part", english is still the international language for trade. -> global language

>

> I do wonder why ANet decided to add german, french and other translations (there should be a chinese version too), but ignore russian.

> Then again the chat system is already ignoring greek, cyrillic and others.

$$$$$$$$$

or €€€€€€€ to be exact.

> @"sigur.9453" said:

> > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > > @"sigur.9453" said:

> > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > > > > Ultimately, the whole issue of language barriers disapears if everyone stops radiating pride and starts speaking english.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > why not French or german?

> > > > >

> > > > > i think we can agree that english is seen as the "global language" ?!

> > > >

> > > > I thought that Mandarin is the "global language" given how many people speak it.

> > >

> > > While you are correct on "how many people speak it part", english is still the international language for trade. -> global language

> >

> > I do wonder why ANet decided to add german, french and other translations (there should be a chinese version too), but ignore russian.

> > Then again the chat system is already ignoring greek, cyrillic and others.

>

> $$$$$$$$$

> or €€€€€€€ to exact.

Yeah money is always a factor, but then again why bother translating at all? Well french and germans might skip the game if it's not translated.

And the chat might be because they don't really want to moderate it. But then again that really doesn't help since I can still curse if I wanna using

latin characters. Isn't chat moderation actually done by the player base? I usually report inappropriate character names and conversations.

When I was an adolescent of about 14 years on, I played my first (J)RPG in English. There was barely internet (it was the nineties) and I had a dictionary next to me. If I had problem to understand I picked it up and translated it. I mean that is dedication. Learn English, it's the door to internationality, to the world, to everything. I really don't get all these stubborn, hard headed cruise control people who want all in their language. Your country is not the center of the world. If you would all learn the internationally most important language the world would be a better place...

> @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> When I was an adolescent of about 14 years on, I played my first (J)RPG in English. There was barely internet (it was the nineties) and I had a dictionary next to me. If I had problem to understand I picked it up and translated it. I mean that is dedication. Learn English, it's the door to internationality, to the world, to everything. I really don't get all these stubborn, hard headed cruise control people who want all in their language. Your country is not the center of the world. If you would all learn the internationally most important language the world would be a better place...

Same story here. Went nowhere without my dictionary =)

> > @"sigur.9453" said:

> > > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > > > @"sigur.9453" said:

> > > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > > > > > Ultimately, the whole issue of language barriers disapears if everyone stops radiating pride and starts speaking english.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > why not French or german?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > i think we can agree that english is seen as the "global language" ?!

> > > > >

> > > > > I thought that Mandarin is the "global language" given how many people speak it.

> > > >

> > > > While you are correct on "how many people speak it part", english is still the international language for trade. -> global language

> > >

> > > I do wonder why ANet decided to add german, french and other translations (there should be a chinese version too), but ignore russian.

> > > Then again the chat system is already ignoring greek, cyrillic and others.

> >

> > $$$$$$$$$

> > or €€€€€€€ to exact.

>

> Yeah money is always a factor, but then again why bother translating at all? Well french and germans might skip the game if it's not translated.

> And the chat might be because they don't really want to moderate it. But then again that really doesn't help since I can still curse if I wanna using

> latin characters. Isn't chat moderation actually done by the player base? I usually report inappropriate character names and conversations.

Exactly they might skip the game. It´s an invest/return issue,. you can be sure that there were/are maket analysts hired, whom came to the conclusion "its not worth it".

If you compare the quality of filmtranslations in germay/france to russia, you will also see(or hear to be exact) huge differences. There is a reason for everything if money is involved, you can trust that.

> @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> When I was an adolescent of about 14 years on, I played my first (J)RPG in English. There was barely internet (it was the nineties) and I had a dictionary next to me. If I had problem to understand I picked it up and translated it. I mean that is dedication. Learn English, it's the door to internationality, to the world, to everything. I really don't get all these stubborn, hard headed cruise control people who want all in their language. Your country is not the center of the world. If you would all learn the internationally most important language the world would be a better place...

i learned more english in games/tv/radio than in school, sad but true.

> > @"sigur.9453" said:

> > > > > > Ultimately, the whole issue of language barriers disapears if everyone stops radiating pride and starts speaking english.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I thought that Mandarin is the "global language" given how many people speak it.

> >

> > While you are correct on "how many people speak it part", english is still the international language for trade. -> global language

>

> I do wonder why ANet decided to add german, french and other translations (there should be a chinese version too), but ignore russian.

There is a Chinese version.

> @"sigur.9453" said:

> > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > When I was an adolescent of about 14 years on, I played my first (J)RPG in English. There was barely internet (it was the nineties) and I had a dictionary next to me. If I had problem to understand I picked it up and translated it. I mean that is dedication. Learn English, it's the door to internationality, to the world, to everything. I really don't get all these stubborn, hard headed cruise control people who want all in their language. Your country is not the center of the world. If you would all learn the internationally most important language the world would be a better place...

>

> i learned more english in games/tv/radio than in school, sad but true.

Same. Was watching cartoons and playing games. And learned English that way :D

> @"Lara Kroft Rus.3954" said:

> Dear employees of ANet,

> As I have read, your choice of which languages will be in the game, and which are not, determined in what language the participants of the exhibition spoke in Germany.

> Sorry, but you made the wrong decision. Only the inhabitants of Germany, they spoke in their native language. But most of the guests spoke in a foreign language for them.

> Naturally, only those who speak fluent German, or in English, went there.

>

> But not everyone has such a level of language knowledge. Someone who can translate the text, but can not communicate, he is lost, forgetting the words. They were prevented by the "language barrier" from coming to Germany, and not just to the exhibition.

>

> Maybe you just do not know that Armenians, Georgians, Tajiks, Ukrainians, Byelorussians, Kirghiz, Uzbeks, Moldovans, Kazakhs, Azerbaijanis, Turkmen - use the RUSSIAN LANGUAGE for communication, with each other, instead of English.

If you think you have a solid business case, which demonstrates that there is a good business reason (aka they will make more money from it) to translate into russian, I suggest you approach Anet with your numbers and show them it's a good business to do so. If you can't do that I would assume that Anet's position will remain unchanged, based on the numbers they most likely already have.

> @"sigur.9453" said:

> > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > > @"sigur.9453" said:

> > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > > > > Ultimately, the whole issue of language barriers disapears if everyone stops radiating pride and starts speaking english.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > why not French or german?

> > > > >

> > > > > i think we can agree that english is seen as the "global language" ?!

> > > >

> > > > I thought that Mandarin is the "global language" given how many people speak it.

> > >

> > > While you are correct on "how many people speak it part", english is still the international language for trade. -> global language

> >

> > I do wonder why ANet decided to add german, french and other translations (there should be a chinese version too), but ignore russian.

> > Then again the chat system is already ignoring greek, cyrillic and others.

>

> $$$$$$$$$

> or €€€€€€€ to be exact.

you can say that again, the income from € is higher then $ thanks to their screw up from the start ;)

> @"sigur.9453" said:

> > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > When I was an adolescent of about 14 years on, I played my first (J)RPG in English. There was barely internet (it was the nineties) and I had a dictionary next to me. If I had problem to understand I picked it up and translated it. I mean that is dedication. Learn English, it's the door to internationality, to the world, to everything. I really don't get all these stubborn, hard headed cruise control people who want all in their language. Your country is not the center of the world. If you would all learn the internationally most important language the world would be a better place...

>

> i learned more english in games/tv/radio than in school, sad but true.

It is amazing how much of a motivator to learn things games are! I was once trying to figure out what language someone was using so was saying 'do you speak xyz' in different languages ... and it completely slipped my mind that I had taken 2 years of French in high school. Meanwhile I delved into some pretty deep arcana about The Prisoner (60's TV show in the UK) to find a clue because I was playing a game based on it.

943 :-)

> > @"sigur.9453" said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Easy .. because it was sensible for them to do so from a business perspective.

I read the comments and the lot of some just shocked.

Who saw where in the game, gay characters ????? I did not see.

Who banned the game in Russia ??? !! This is fake news! !! I myself live in Russia and play in Russia in this game.

About a foreign language. It's for schoolchildren, it's easy to teach, but to whom 40 (like me) is no longer to master.

About the money. If the game were translated into Russian, then its sale was more than sales in Germany! It is because of the lack of translation, there is no big sales.

Imagine that you sell the game in the US, and in the game, there is no English! Lots, sell the game disks ???

I read in social networks that people bought the game, and were disappointed that it was not translated into their language. And many players do not rush to buy - they are waiting for ArenaNet, will make localization.

Finally, support and localization.

The exchange rate of $ - ₽ (ruble) is such that this work will be 15 times cheaper than the same for Germany.

> I read the comments and the lot of some just shocked.

>

> Who saw where in the game, gay characters ????? I did not see.

Well Kasmeer and Majory are gay, Caithe and Faolin are gay, there are a few gay sylvari couples in game even a few same sex charr couples .

As for not putting the game in Russian , the numbers don't add up to make it profitable .

> And why, did you decide that they were gay?

> The last, I do not agree. To translate, the original Guild Wars, there were no problems.

we didnt, ANET decided to have those couples in the game, and made them very obviously so. Especially the Charr couple that got added, even though Marjory and Kas are even stronger a couple.

> About the money. If the game were translated into Russian, then its sale was more than sales in Germany! It is because of the lack of translation, there is no big sales.

Localization costs money, a lot of money. It also requires ongoing support, because every future story and expansion must be translated. It is not the case that adding a new language automatically translates into enough _new_ sales to pay for all of that, because, in many cases, those likely to buy the game have already done so.

> Imagine that you sell the game in the US, and in the game, there is no English! Lots, sell the game disks ???

And yet, some people do play non-English-localized games in the US. You might notice that the

> I read in social networks that people bought the game, and were disappointed that it was not translated into their language. And many players do not rush to buy - they are waiting for ArenaNet, will make localization.

Sure. And I'm sure some are waiting to see it translated into other languages, too.

The question is: how many of those are likely to actually end up purchasing? I would presume that ANet, in order to survive as a business, has to have a clear estimate, whereas we, as fans, have no idea.

>

> Finally, support and localization.

>

> The exchange rate of $ - ₽ (ruble) is such that this work will be 15 times cheaper than the same for Germany.

You're presuming that ANet can (and would) hire people in Russia to do the translation. That would require additional steps so they can operate in Russia, pay appropriate business taxes, and so on. It seems much more likely that they would hire people local to their existing offices, with some responsibilities beyond translation.

In addition, it ignores the fact that each new localization adds to the amount of work that has to be done for _everything_. Every in-game email, every dialogue, the banner messages on logon, contest rules (when they have them), and more would also have to be localized. The more people involved, the more lead time is required.

Obviously it's not impossible for companies to localize to more languages, since it happens all the time. It's also not impossible for a company to add (or subtract) languages, since that also happens.

However, it's a mistake to assume that ANet hasn't done the math to figure out if this is or isn't cost effective. It's in their interests, as you say, to get more money. So if this were profitable, why wouldn't they do it?

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> @ "Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Localization costs money, a lot of money. It also requires constant support, because every future story and extension must be translated. This is not the case when the addition of a new language is automatically translated into a sufficient number of _new_ sales to pay for all this, because in many cases those who can buy the game have already done so.

The original Guild Wars, was translated into the world's all-languages. And money for this was enough.

> And yet some people do play in English-speaking games in the USA. You might have noticed that

>

>

> Of course. And I'm sure that some are waiting for it to be translated into other languages.

> The question is, how many of them, most likely, actually end with a purchase? I would suggest that ANET, in order to survive as a business, should have a clear assessment, whereas we, as fans, have no idea.

Excuse me, it seemed to me that they said that ANET does not know how many fans have a game ???

Here is the petition that was sent to it by the players https://www.change.org/p/arenanet-ncsoft-russian-localization-of-guild-wars-2-3

Only this petition collected 41,763 signers! These are only those who read about the existence of this petition.

>

> You assume that ANET can (and will) hire people in Russia for translation. This will require additional steps so that they can work in Russia, pay relevant business taxes, etc. It seems much more likely that they would hire local residents in their existing offices, with some responsibilities beyond translation.

Could be so.

>

> In addition, it ignores the fact that each new localization adds the amount of work that needs to be done for _everything_. Every in-game email address, every dialog, banner messages when logging in, contest rules (when they are there) and much more must also be localized. The more people are involved, the more time is required.

> Obviously, companies can not localize more languages, because this happens all the time. In addition, the company can not add (or subtract) languages, as this also happens.

I repeat that the original game was translated into all languages.

>

> However, it is a mistake to assume that ANET has not performed the math to find out whether it is or is not cost effective. In your interests, as you say, get more money. So, if it was profitable, why do not they do it?

The survey of players in Russia was not conducted. ANET, the exhibition at VDNH in Moscow did not conduct. Therefore, in business calculations, there was originally a mistake!

You can always switch from one language to another in the game settings. However, do not forget that many do not know English so well to get the most out of the game. And the text in the game will be quite important, especially in personal stories.

I'll tell you a secret, I have Cerebral Defeat as a result of oxygen starvation.

As a result, the words of a foreign language, the brain simply does not store. I can not learn foreign languages.

Imagine what I feel there in the game, where there is no translation. I'm there as a blind man on the streets of the city!

> The original Guild Wars, was translated into the world's all-languages. And money for this was enough.

Sure, a lot less dialogue in that game. A lot fewer game updates with text needing localization.

> Excuse me, it seemed to me that they said that ANET does not know how many fans have a game ???

No, no one is saying that ANet doesn't know.

> Here is the petition that was sent to it by the players https://www.change.org/p/arenanet-ncsoft-russian-localization-of-guild-wars-2-3

> Only this petition collected 41,763 signers! These are only those who read about the existence of this petition.

How many of those people own the game already? How many are definitely going to buy the game? It's free to sign a petition.

> > In addition, it ignores the fact that each new localization adds the amount of work that needs to be done for _everything_. Every in-game email address, every dialog, banner messages when logging in, contest rules (when they are there) and much more must also be localized. The more people are involved, the more time is required.

> > Obviously, companies can not localize more languages, because this happens all the time. In addition, the company can not add (or subtract) languages, as this also happens.

>

> I repeat that the original game was translated into all languages.

The original game was translated into seven text languages (not including Bork! Bork! Bork!) and five audio languages. The additional audio language is Korean, that used as the primary language of the owners of ANet (NCSOFT). The additional text languages are Korean (again), Chinese, Japanese, and (on topic) Russian.

> The survey of players in Russia was not conducted. ANET, the exhibition at VDNH in Moscow did not conduct. Therefore, in business calculations, there was originally a mistake!

You really think ANet would leave money on the table because they didn't bother to get a valid estimate of the costs and benefits of translating?

>

> You can always switch from one language to another in the game settings. However, do not forget that many do not know English so well to get the most out of the game. And the text in the game will be quite important, especially in personal stories.

No question that text is important. No question that more people would be interested in and buy the game if GW2 were available in their native tongue (or at least the one comfortable to them).

But that's not the question that ANet needs to answer to decide if this is a good business decision. Their job as profit-making enterprise is to determine if the income generated by potential new players is sufficient to pay for the additional costs (one time and ongoing) and additional risks.