What is with the lack of dev response?

Absinthey.5340

With so many threads being posted about players' current disgust with the game mode... How can there be little to NO developer response? It's incredibly frustrating to be treated with such little respect, even if this is the smallest part of your player base.

As a primarily PvP player I am left to just WONDER and HOPE that the devs are going to sincerely do their best to improve their game due to the complete LACK of communication. If the effort level is going to remain the same in balancing and updating the game, could we at least _know_ this?

We NEED status updates. OR, if you aren't going to attempt to improve the game any further, just let us know so we can move on to something else. (Or maybe that's why you don't?)

-Abs

> @"Fipmip.7219" said:

> "Hey guys, we are currently working on this imbalance. we are going to do this this and this"

>

> cue 5 pages telling them why they're wrong regardless of what they said

>

"Hey guys, we are currently working on this imbalance. We are going to do this and this." (Years go by without any actual fixes)

Do you really wonder why there are so many negative responses to what they say they are GOING to do?

> @"Absinthey.5340" said:

> With so many threads being posted about players' current disgust with the game mode... How can there be little to NO developer response? It's incredibly frustrating to be treated with such little respect, even if this is the smallest part of your player base.

>

> As a primarily PvP player I am left to just WONDER and HOPE that the devs are going to sincerely do their best to improve their game due to the complete LACK of communication. If the effort level is going to remain the same in balancing and updating the game, could we at least _know_ this?

>

> We NEED status updates. OR, if you aren't going to attempt to improve the game any further, just let us know so we can move on to something else. (Or maybe that's why you don't?)

>

> -Abs

We don't exactly treat Anet with respect at the moment either and it may be hard to communicate with a forum that essentially has torches up and Pitchforks ready... There's many issues to address and posting to one of those issues usually results in everyone flocking to that post to ask about the other issues, not defending them either as this wouldn't happen with frequent communication.

I'm personally not a fan of the removal of team queue and then having the option to team queue put back into the game on a specific time schedule set by my video game which doesn't fit my work and family life schedule, **it's a world wide game but Kitten my country and Kitten me for being Employed right?...** (I don't play many online games anymore but never have I played an international game that puts restrictions onto those not based locally, everyone had fair go in other games.)

It's pretty much the source of my salt.

The mention of Swiss and Alliances have kept me around for quite some time now but I haven't seen any ETA since the first mention of it... Would be nice to know.

This is normal. To have no response isnt out of the ordinary. I wish they would respond. i made a post with a question to the devs directly in the title almost 2 weeks ago now..no answere. Will never get one. This is why people are leaving and getting upset/ anguish from this game. If the devs talked but things, and they still stayed the same people will be satisfied. But to have such disgust and questions about the changes and have no answeres or comradery with the people who made these changes is wanting me to just leave this no hope game....no communication with the developers gives me dout and no hope or willingness to keep playing this 6 year old pvp game.

Im waiting for swiss and the wvw alliance changes to happen. I rhheeaally hope they come out this year, December the latest. But i really would like some more frequent balance changes to start. Some classes right now do alittle to much damage. And having this for the next 4 months is getting real dissatisfying.

> @"Fipmip.7219" said:

> "Hey guys, we are currently working on this imbalance. we are going to do this this and this"

>

> cue 5 pages telling them why they're wrong regardless of what they said

>

ANET Dev: Don't worry its on our list but first we need to get some more gem store skins out for mounts, then some weapon skins, then the new Living Story episode that everyone that cares about PVE will finish in 24 hours, then its back to more gem store skins and more weapon skins, then some raid updates....

By that time we will have worked down the list to be able to work on PvP.

ANET Dev 2: ooops sorry its time for another living story episode. Gotta push that pvp stuff down the list again.

Rinse...repeat.

Oh and WvW updates are below PvP in the list.

> @"Spartacus.3192" said:

> > @"Fipmip.7219" said:

> > "Hey guys, we are currently working on this imbalance. we are going to do this this and this"

> >

> > cue 5 pages telling them why they're wrong regardless of what they said

> >

>

> ANET Dev: Don't worry its on our list but first we need to get some more gem store skins out for mounts, then some weapon skins, then the new Living Story episode that everyone that cares about PVE will finish in 24 hours, then its back to more gem store skins and more weapon skins, then some raid updates....

> By that time we will have worked down the list to be able to work on PvP.

>

> ANET Dev 2: ooops sorry its time for another living story episode. Gotta push that pvp stuff down the list again.

>

> Rinse...repeat.

>

> Oh and WvW updates are below PvP in the list.

Because WvW doesn't need any changes

My feeling is that ANet is surviving in the last years. I dont think they have enough funds to tank the 3 gamemodes since, for example, PvP doesnt bring any money to their wallets, just remove it. There's no good point on invest in something that wont bring any proffit and isnt guaranteed that will bring players back while stop investing on what really works, PvE and gemstore.

Its sad cuz I feel that PvP only still here because would be "ugly" for the company to "shutdown" the gamemode. Tbh, its almost what is happening: long periods waiting for balance, most of them not useful; lack of communication; lack of content;

We dont even know if we have a PvP team! Im really expecting something in the today's balance, hoping for something good to minimize this powercreep, otherwise, im prob definetly quitting the game.

I know that just me wouldnt change much but I guarantee that I'm not the only one that's leaving. And we all know that population its already a problem

> With so many threads being posted about players' current disgust with the game mode... How can there be little to NO developer response? It's incredibly frustrating to be treated with such little respect, even if this is the smallest part of your player base.

>

> As a primarily PvP player I am left to just WONDER and HOPE that the devs are going to sincerely do their best to improve their game due to the complete LACK of communication. If the effort level is going to remain the same in balancing and updating the game, could we at least _know_ this?

>

> We NEED status updates. OR, if you aren't going to attempt to improve the game any further, just let us know so we can move on to something else. (Or maybe that's why you don't?)

>

> -Abs

The current climate on the forums is that players believe it is a better idea to start a thread whining rather than to learn things like counterplay or dodging.

I can think of a lot of better use of developer's time than to engage in the conversations.

Devs very rarely (in any game) respond to balance threads. There are many reasons for this, but most importantly it probably takes too much time and will open them up to more criticism. It makes more sense that they discuss balance issues internally and make changes as they see fit.

Having said that, I think the devs do know that there are balance issues, but it seems they know there is an issue instead of knowing what is the issue. As a result, many of the changes seem to be a result of dice roll, that do not end up resolving the issue.

Just take guardian changes to SoJ as an example. Devs are trying so hard to make this skill PvP viable, yet there seems to be lack of understanding that the issue is the cast time + animation time, which render it obsolete against moving targets. Yet the devs keep trying to stack more stuff to it (cripple in the latest patch) which is not why it is not PvP viable.

I don't get this "PvP does not bring money" argument. Like what is going on? I play mainly PvP and since I play the game, I want to look cool while doing it! When I fell in love with GW2 I was buying stuff on monthly basis (depending on what I can afford). PvP = people who WILL buy stuff.

> @"Xuazinegueri.3592" said:

> My feeling is that ANet is surviving in the last years. I dont think they have enough funds to tank the 3 gamemodes since, for example, PvP doesnt bring any money to their wallets, just remove it. There's no good point on invest in something that wont bring any proffit and isnt guaranteed that will bring players back while stop investing on what really works, PvE and gemstore.

How does PvE bring money?

Expansions? Gemstore? Free Living World Seasons?

You do realize that even if PvP is the smallest community, it still brings revenue, because those people do purchase Expansions, Gems, and play other content?

Probably not...

Tanking 3 gamemodes isn't a problem.

To be honest, having 2 devs that actually work on one mode and are not distracted by other things, can polish it out very well in 2-3 PvP Seasons at most.

And PvP mode shrank because of what? - forgot already?

Idiotic catering for eSport, where 99% of people who cared about PvP knew it is going to fail...

Then forcing devmade Meta builds on players.

And as we had at least 3 valid builds for each class before HoT release, now we have not even 1 valid build for each class...

> Its sad cuz I feel that PvP only still here because would be "ugly" for the company to "shutdown" the gamemode. Tbh, its almost what is happening: long periods waiting for balance, most of them not useful; lack of communication; lack of content;

And what do you suggest?

Anet destroyed PvP as it was.

Now they should shut it down, because well, it's sad and pointless?

Sound like a gold receipt for melting down anything that exists in game.

> We dont even know if we have a PvP team! Im really expecting something in the today's balance, hoping for something good to minimize this powercreep, otherwise, im prob definetly quitting the game.

>

> I know that just me wouldnt change much but I guarantee that I'm not the only one that's leaving. And we all know that population its already a problem

Well, here you have it in today's balance - description fixes.

PvP Season is in the middle so they won't balance anything, unless people won't make Whine-meter blow.

> @"Shadow Order.7258" said:

> Have you seen our new items in the gem store?

Bro you just about killed me. That's the perfect response.

Players post 50 threads about how pvp is swirling the bowl in all kinds of ways but the response from them would only be.

"Hey check out our awesome flashy gem store items".

It feels as tho there are 40 people working 24/7 365 even holidays on gem store items then just a part time person working on pvp.

I think the answer is multi-fold. First, it's a question of the quality of the feedback provided in the forum. PvP is a game mode where players can get very frustrated and vent that frustration on the forums. That's not quality feedback, and a quick glance at the posts in this forums tells you that the signal-to-noise ratio is quite low.

Secondly, it's about value stream, or utility. PvP does not generate much revenue, yet balancing requires a lot of developer time in the way of iterative adjustment and testing. So it generates low revenue for the investment.

If we could come up with an idea on how to encourage iterative PvP development/testing that would also generate a positive revenue stream for ArenaNet, then maybe we'd see some movement on behalf of the developers.

Dude, any time a Dev posts in these forums, they're hailed as saints and thanked egregiously for simply posting at all. I can't count the number of "thank you for communicating" posts directed at Ben. I made a few, myself. So this idea that the forums have pitch forks at the ready is so 2013.

Even the ele forum is drowning in thanks at Gaile for posting there because they want to believe that they've finally been noticed. It's sad how desperate the community is for communication. ?

After how many now 5-6ish years of GW2 if you draw the line, what has been done on spvp, it will prolly be the same time worth as 3 living story episodes. Since release 2 or 3 new conquest maps, 1 taken away(Spirit watch), 1 reworked for like 1 year aka Capricon and some joke of a mode called stronghold that resembles GvG, but can't be even played ranked? Skill split,a few jumps from power to condi builds, but when the game went straight downhill is when they started adding straight up op specializations and healers. From the very yearly stages of development they were talking how they didn't want healers in this game and everyone would have some selfsustain. Well now ty very much, but there are quite a bit of healers or self sustainers like Druid and Ele, that I don't even bother to duel. It would take like 3-4 min to have a shot at dealing with one of them, meanwhile your team already is losing by 200 points. Adding healer specs, enabled stuff like the necro specs to become op with their cc and one of the better self sustaining classes in fact.

The matchmaking is worse than ever, just last week I've been matched vs mes, fb, necro, war and my setup consists usually of revs, 2 eles and engi. Guess what, I counted literally from 19 games like this, barely with headaches my random team setup won 1. Instajibbing is a problem, having a class that just by farting puts on you 5 conditions with 5 stacks of torment, then goes invis and multiply all of these by 3, goes back in stealth and if by any chance you hit him, he has about 4/5 insta stunbreaks + invulnerability. We all know which class that is. Meanwhile rev still gets bugged using sword 3, even if the target is standing right next to him, on the screen you get "evade evade evade".

All in all there have been games with terrible balance, which became successful, like early stages of dota. But pvp can't be just a side project, the by the way will be done whenever we are bored.

Thing is anet misstimed their windows of true success. GW1 was excellent pvp way before it's time and they decided to compete with WoW in the mmorpg pve aspect by creating GW2 aaand 3 years lates the mmorpg genre is dying, WoW almost completely switched focus to pvp and battlegrounds(check the streamers, they all play battlegrounds) and GW2 is left with very good pve and not repairable pvp. All sucessful games right now are pvps - the mobas, the fps, the battle royales...You can't make people return to pvp after 5 years of neglect, you can't get new players into somewhat improved pvp of a 5 year old game.

I think the argument that PvP doesn't generate any revenue is a falsity.

If it's making even the slightest amount of revenue, even if paled by the other game modes, then we are owed answers as paying customers/supporters/players ect. Is there anyone even actively working on PvP? Or is it a side project that continues to be neglected?

These questions are simply NOT answered by the devs, so we are left to squabble here on the forums having the equivalency of religious arguments that go in never ending circles.

I do enjoy this game, the mechanics are simply better than anything else I've tried. But, I'm tired of being baited along by this company and I think everyone else should be as well. We deserve to know things, just as much as any other game mode does.

> I think the argument that PvP doesn't generate any revenue is a falsity.

>

> If it's making even the slightest amount of revenue, even if paled by the other game modes, then we are owed answers as paying customers/supporters/players ect. Is there anyone even actively working on PvP? Or is it a side project that continues to be neglected?

>

> These questions are simply NOT answered by the devs, so we are left to squabble here on the forums having the equivalency of religious arguments that go in never ending circles.

>

> I do enjoy this game, the mechanics are simply better than anything else I've tried. But, I'm tired of being baited along by this company and I think everyone else should be as well. We deserve to know things, just as much as any other game mode does.

I mostly play pvp (70-80% of my time in this game). But, I buy the XPs and I buy gems.

Why? Because somehow those skills "seem"(some) stronger than older specs, and as for the gems, I like to look shiney, moe alts, more storage, more bags, make-overs, keys......

There are probably alot of players like me who put most of their time into competitive game modes like spvp and wvw (even if they are not satisfied).

I really don't understand the pvp doesnt bring in money...yes it does. Many people only invested into this game originally believing it would be an upgrade of the fantastic pvp option in gw1.

and i would be willing to bet that atleast 70% of players do competitive game modes at least sometimes (and most of those find it to be getting stale as well)