Opinion on Outfits

Swing.6439

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's only a couple of outfits that I've got, as I find most to over the top and obtrusive, or some where most of the outfit is OK, but then it has ridiculous oversized sticky out bits on the shoulders etc. So I'd prefer it (and buy more) if I could choose parts of outfits to hide/replace, but I don't care enough about it to go as far as to say I 'dislike' the idea of outfits. I just wish there was a wider selection of more discreet/understated style ones. (Although with the outfits I have brought I tend to use them once or twice then forget I have them anyway. Doesn't help that my dye scheme always seems to get messed up when I equip an outfit then switch back later)

My personal view:

I didn't like outfits to start with, and many of them still seem unappealing to me. But after years, I still wasn't able to get the right look for my toon with any armour combinations. Then one day, I bought some town clothes tonics to see what the fuss was about and I really liked them, but being tonics they were hard to use - couldn't mount with them, couldn't fight with (some) of them.

Then came the day that the option was added to turn town clothes tonics into outfits. Suddenly, my toon could wear the striped hoodie outfit (with actual pants and no but flaps!) and I was in love.

Now, I have a small collection of practical outfits that I like to swap between. They appeal to me because they're like ordinary clothes that look realistic and comfortable. I have khakis for desert regions, fancy clothes for cities, hoodies and pants for other places. They're so easy (and free) to change, they look practical for fighting and rolling in. Now all I need is that fur-lined parka for snowy regions.

What I like about outfits: I can stick one on a leveling character and not have to change the dyes and skins every time a better piece of armor drops. And it doesn't have to match a character's armor weight: I can stick full metal plating on an Elementalist or a sparkly bathrobe on a Guardian.

I agree mostly with the comment about all the ribbons and skulls and jingle bells, but there are some more low-key outfits available, especially since many of the old town clothes outfits are available in the Black Lion Statuette shop at the moment. (They may have slight dye application issues, but it's nice to put normal-looking clothes on a character.) And sometimes you have a character who WANTS all the sparklies.

But if I could JUST wear a different helmet with the outfit, I would be 95%* over the moon. The built in headgear is often stupid or completely hides the character's face. There are so many cool headgear options: glasses, hats, masks...and if you're wearing an outfit, you can't use any of them! If I had my way, the outfit would not involve the head at all, it would come with a helmet skin for all three weights, and you would have the option to use something completely other.

* The other 5% would involve being able to turn off the gigantic shoulders. But I guess that's where our characters keep their lunch, their spare weapons, their ranger pets, their clean underwear, their mounts, and anything else that will fit in those cauldron-sized epaulets.

They are hit or miss. It's nice having something to cover ugly armor when I am too cheap to transmute it, but outfits have very limited dye options. The inability to swap out gloves boots or shoulders that I don't like has also turned me off from buying a lot of outfits because they have some single ridiculous part (like the ribbons floating in mid air on the Elonian Elementalist) that I wish I could get rid of but can't.

I'm not particuarly fond of outfits, mainly because they are mixed bags and often come with bits I like and bits I don't. Even if I do find an outfit that I like, I'll quickly suffer from what I call the "new car" effect and see said outfit everywhere (to the point where it affects my own enjoyment of the outfit).

Personally, I prefer armours because I like seeing other people's creativity at work. It gives me the motivation to actually care about what my character is wearing.

Would like them more if we were able to swap outfits parts between them (use headgear from another outfut as exemple) could easily see full dynamic armor outfit with inquest exo-comb helmet. The fact is, I don't express the need to buy outfits, they all look the same.... no special touch or the little thing that make you purchase. Also here are the few ones I liked: exo suits, jungle explorer, elonian elementalist, dervich, zaphira.

I like the idea of outfits in the sense that it can hide your armour - like for example, you're creating a new character, and their armour looks completely rubbish, all you have to do is tick a box, and your character automatically has an outfit.

The only thing I don't like about outfits is that there's no option to mix and match. What if I want the chestpiece from 1 outfit, with the gloves from another outfit, etc.? It would be neat if we could create our own personalized outfits, with outfits we've already unlocked/purchased, so we can show/hide individual pieces, and likewise, mix and match individual pieces from various outfits. That would be in an ideal world though. Whether it's possible, I don't know. I just think outfits have so much potential this way, but until it happens, I'm in the "ehhhhh-they're-alright-but-they-can-be-a-lot-better" group.

I like outfits due to different reasons:

- I like them being toggle on and off with no further cost associated with them (unlike transmutation charges for normal skins)

- I like them being toggle on/off and dye-able which allows for fast nice looking sets for alternative characters (considering I'm at close to 30 characters I like to mix and match outfits and colors for less played characters)

- I like choice and I think there is an abundance of skins available for other combinations

I understand how some people might disagree with the approach to have outfits and skins but I believe the 2 system are complimentary to each other.

I don´t like outfits, but I understand they help you through the ugly stages of leveling up and setting your equipment, so I'm ok with that.

Though I would prefer that we could SAVE current look(no outfit) and make it an "Outfit", allowing us to make our own style variants per character.

This would give us more freedom to try out new mix and match.

Cheers!

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> I like outfits, although I fully believe that nearly every outfit headpiece should also come as a stand-alone armour skin because why not.

I made it a personal project to wear ANet down until they give in and release the Inquest Exo-Suit Outfit headpiece as a separate item. Now I don't know much about programming or design, but I absolutely refuse to believe that it's particularly difficult to turn a headpiece that's located miles away from any other piece of armor and can't really clip through anything at all into an armor piece. Take my gems already.

Pro:

* one click and you are fully dressed ;)

Contra:

* sometimes one doesn't like all elements of an outfit and wish one could combine with other armor pieces

* also, you lose certain effects from your armor (like the shoulder snowflakes)

* you cannot add a helmet of your liking

* some outfits recently added from the clothing tonics have messed up dye channels, which needs to be fixed

Conclusion:

* combine outfits with armor, i.e. offer both in one package, then ppl can decide which they are going to use

> @"Ariurotl.3718" said:

> > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

>

> I made it a personal project to wear ANet down until they give in and release the Inquest Exo-Suit Outfit headpiece as a separate item.

Yeah, I want exactly the same thing, monocular glass display screen that's the only one I like! Not fan of monocle or others medium eyes patchs. Turn him into an headgear!! Would be awesome.

I do not dislike them. The issue is there is usually one piece that I want not the whole thing. I really wish there are at least armor alternatives so I can do some matching. Currently, they are extremely restrictive.

I would really love the Crystal Arbiter chest piece. I would buy it for 700 gems. But the rest of the outfit is terrible. This is why I never bought it. Same goes for most outfits.

IMHO outfits were one of the worst things to happen to the game, before outfits came along we had armour sets being released on the cash shop regularly,

and they were pretty awesome too!

since the outfits were added however we've had very few armours, and when they do make armour they're hideous, (with a few exception)

nothing like before churning out outfits became the priority.

compare when armour was on the cash shop, they were [awesome](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/6/64/Incarnate_armor_human_female_front.jpg "awesome"), to now, [eew.](http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/gw2-elegy-armor-light-female.jpg "eew.")

> @"otto.5684" said:

> I do not dislike them. The issue is there is usually one piece that I want not the whole thing. I really wish there are at least armor alternatives so I can do some matching. Currently, they are extremely restrictive.

>

> I would really love the Crystal Arbiter chest piece. I would buy it for 700 gems. But the rest of the outfit is terrible. This is why I never bought it. Same goes for most outfits.

ditto! if they released the outfits also as armour skins i would buy every single one, they all have atleast one part which i'd love to use.