Help me understand patch notes? Not sure where to ask this..

Hi folks, I'm a new player and I'm just starting to get the swing of the few classes that I am playing. Although I am technically minded and enjoy digging into mechanics as I can too see how things work and work with each other etc.

Problem is, when they release patch notes over the last few months that I have been playing I end up Googling in a new tab what X thing is for each class.. it gets overwhelming sometimes, confusing, and sometimes it's hard to track down what is what. Like OH that's a thing with this trait when you have this spec equipped or IDK.. I just get lost sometimes as I try to dig into what each thing does or it.

For instance in Guardian; What is an aftercast? After digging I think it's the effect of the 3rd auto-attack on a sword 1 skill? It doesn't say aftercast in the description so it's sort of a guess on my part.

OK so sorry for the ramblings. So here's my question, do they or some fan site release these notes with say skill abilities as a hot-link you can follow to what it is?

Is that something I could request of Anet? Seems like it might be a chore, and not needed for seasoned players.. and I don't want to be a pain asking. But it's a thought I had.

TL;DR Looking for a normal-speak break down for how skill/trait/tech are changed for someone that doesn't yet understand all the game mechanics.

Thanks!

One thing which might help is to look at the patch notes on the Wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

It takes a little while for that to be updated because it's done by players so they have to wait for Anet to post the patch notes then copy them over, then add links and skill images but I find it does make it a lot easier to read and if you need extra info it links to the pages for each skill.

> @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> Aftercast is the enforced delay after using a skill that you are standing there like a fool doing nothing. Reducing it is always good.

>

> What on earth "Attack Points" are, referring to the Guardian sword changes, is a mystery.

The specific area the skill affects maybe? Usually they just use "range" though.

> @"Substance E.4852" said:

> > @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > Aftercast is the enforced delay after using a skill that you are standing there like a fool doing nothing. Reducing it is always good.

> >

> > What on earth "Attack Points" are, referring to the Guardian sword changes, is a mystery.

>

> The specific area the skill affects maybe? Usually they just use "range" though.

This probably means that it's more likely to be considered a hit because of the way Guardian sword 3 works.

The last strike isn't a projectile despite it's appearance, what im guessing is they made the points at which those "not projectiles" be created more normalized and thus more reliable.

> @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> Aftercast is the enforced delay after using a skill that you are standing there like a fool doing nothing. Reducing it is always good.

>

> What on earth "Attack Points" are, referring to the Guardian sword changes, is a mystery.

Attack point is the point at which the hit from an attack occurs. Lightning Whip(ele dagger air #1) used to have that at the very beginning. Same with necro axe. Both allowed for some unintended effect. That is probably not the issue with guardian sword and more likely to compensate for the shorter aftercast.

> @"Giovanni.7051" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > One thing which might help is to look at the patch notes on the Wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

> >

> This right here pretty much had what I was looking for too! Thanks for this.

>

Giovanni, another little tidbit that will help is that in-game you can type /wiki _some-topic_ and hit enter and it will pull up the wiki page for that in a browser window. For example, say you wanted to pull up the wiki article on CC's (crowd control effects), you can type into the in-game chat: /wiki CC and when you hit enter, it will take you straight to the wiki article on CC's. Works with items that you shift-click to put into the chat as well. It's a really handy feature that I use pretty much on a daily basis even after playing for almost 3 years.