What is the most tacical class

Let me start with explaining the difference between stategy and tactic..

Strategy is an overall goal, and defines every decision you make,

while tactics is the moment-to-moment decision-making that helps you reach that goal.

So basically i am looking for the class/build that requires the most moment to moment decision making..

So which one do you think this is?

And why?

Moment to moment decision making largely applies to ele since it requires changing on the fly with attunements, each of which bring diff things to a fight as and when needed. There is an argument Revenant falls into this too, although im more inclined to believe that falls more under your strategy definition.

Thief would be my other pick. You live by the moment or you die by the moment

Engineer comes with a lot of options to adjust your build. When doing fractals or other difficult content, I often end up adjusting my traits for each situation. It depends if I need more speed, condition-cleanse, damage-output, defensive-abilities, group-support. The more you know about the class, the more possibilities you have. However this great flexibility comes with a good price, not many are willing to pay. It is not like with e.g. Thief where every option you pick drastically increases your damage output. Every decision with the engineer build is a trade-off. Don't get me wrong, thief is an awesome class and a superior damage dealer. It has a lot of tactics-elements, also because every wrong step is probably your last.

When it comes to in-combat-flexibility I stick to engineer, no other class gives me more freedom and flexibility in combat. About the price: As long as you do not play a Hollowsmith, your dps is average at best. And the effort/result ratio is one of the worst in the game. When a bossfight takes 20 minutes or longer, I often end up with an excruciating wrist pain. I survive, and my party does as well.

I tend to believe that all caster classes (elem, mesmer, necro and their respective elites), due to their light armors, are the ones requiring the most to be able for fast response, meaning immediate and correct decision on next move. It's a matter of surviving. If they cannot react fast and appropriate, they are dead. As simple as that. The light armor does not protect enough.

All classes have somethin.

My personal view for Armor types. Heavy Guard/Rev (Guard cuz low hp so you need to be aware, Rev have mana and cooldowns so you need to be aware of good spening)

Light Elementalist (Mesmer has lot more options but "harder" to play is definetly Ele)

Medium I need to say Thief(I dont have Engi yet! but I believe its most complex of them all).

most proactive and tactical profession imo is thief (except deadeye which is cheese).

You dont have the stats to stick in melee and need topnotch reflexes to do well versus anything. You gotta think ahead and adapt to every situation instead of going for same old rotations all the time.

I see alot of comments about engineer and elementalist, but they are way more reactive than proactive. More about mastering a few rotations during the right time than having perfect timing and momentum to execute your combo.

Mesmer isnt really hard neither. Kind of the same deal, you dump alot of abilities in a short amount of time to deal damage then end up dancing around the battle until your CDs are back up.

Mesmer, Engi, Elem for strategy and rotations.

Thief for tactics and momentum.

> @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> At the risk of sounding like an overtly patronizing fatcat: All of them. The very mature of combat is a tactical endeavor.

At the risk of being run out the door, I'd respectfully say that GW2's combat is incredibly shallow and frankly not worth a tiny fraction of the hype it usually gets.

It **feels** tactical comparing many other MMORPGs. At first. But then once I realized that it's too fiddly to viably communicate via typing in chat during combat, I realized that for a combat system which expects me to invest 110% of my attention into driving it, it's really lame. Comparing WoW's or FF14's combat system they are **far** worse, but they are slow enough to allow communication mid-fight, which in turn brings the whole social-centric-gaming experience together in the first place. That is to say, they give me something else to do during combat, and something I'd honestly rather be doing because even at their peak, MMO combat systems are always bad.

But back to the question at hand: In theory Mesmer should fit the bill, being a class billed all for deception and misguidance. However they don't actually play like that. I would argue Thief fits the bill however. Picking good moment-to-moment options, knowing when and how far to retreat, those are all important with thieves.

I think tactics is about using what you have to achieve a goal. So it's the player that needs to be tactical. When you talk about tactical weapons it's about short range or localized effects. All classes do that. It also depends on the circumstances. So for example there is a big difference between solo and group content. And then it comes down to the combat encounter itself.

I remember the end boss in Twilight Arbor. Lots of people would be doing all sorts of jumping around and stuff. I would walk up a slop and park my character on a plant thing that was sticking out (just left after entering the room) and basically put on auto-attack for the entire fight. Tactically that was the best option and I could just sit back and enjoy my drink while it happened.

An extreme example but the point is that tactics depend a lot on the player and the circumstances of the combat encounter. Does the opponent have insta-kill effects? Does it do dots? Does it have knock backs? Stuns?

Personally I do a lot of open world stuff like map completion, events and world bosses if you will. So my guardian has a GS and staff or longbow and all celestial gear. This is because it makes my toon versatile. I have ranged and melee ability. I have healing, a couple of gap closers, etc. I kill a bit slower but I still do ok dps but my heals are also better and defensively I can take a bit more. That fits my style. When gathering the first hit against my guardian is usually blocked. That means I can mount still after taking the first hit so I can move out of combat to go to the next node rather than having to waste time in combat.

Other people do things differently for different reasons. So tactics also depend on what you want to achieve and then you can find the ways to achieve it.

So ... basically the main opinion is that elementalist is the hardest class (or the class with the most versatility) to play in term of combat reaction (almost no stand-alone save button) but still It doesnt reward you cause it deals less dmg than any other class on a one specific alone. No big number.... just plenty of average numbers which requires you to land all those to work (fine in pve but pvp ... bleh)

Scepter Fresh air is fun to play in spvp but you really need to be godmode and be ready to run for your life. Got 3 rangers +1 warrior chasing me for the entire match (still managed to win tho) but gosh it was an unfunny game.

> @"lordbachus.6091" said:

> Let me start with explaining the difference between stategy and tactic..

>

> Strategy is an overall goal, and defines every decision you make,

> while tactics is the moment-to-moment decision-making that helps you reach that goal.

>

> So basically i am looking for the class/build that requires the most moment to moment decision making..

> So which one do you think this is?

> And why?

The Guardians elite specialization "Dragonhunter". It's good at all ranges and has varying attacks and combos which are situational.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Moment to moment decision making largely applies to ele since it requires changing on the fly with attunements, each of which bring diff things to a fight as and when needed. There is an argument Revenant falls into this too, although im more inclined to believe that falls more under your strategy definition.

Well i tought this to, untill i realised that you only have so few skills available in real time..

The engineer has almost all its abilities (even in kits) real time available.. because there is no cooldown when switching..

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> Ranger since you must plan out. Theif for stealth. Engi for its complex rotations

Actually thats all strategy and notmtactical. Its planning things out..and performing a predetirmined rotation..

I don’t see any realtime decision making

> @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > At the risk of sounding like an overtly patronizing fatcat: All of them. The very mature of combat is a tactical endeavor.

>

> It **feels** tactical comparing many other MMORPGs. At first. But then once I realized that it's too fiddly to viably communicate via typing in chat during combat, I realized that for a combat system which expects me to invest 110% of my attention into driving it, it's really lame. Comparing WoW's or FF14's combat system they are **far** worse, but they are slow enough to allow communication mid-fight, which in turn brings the whole social-centric-gaming experience together in the first place. That is to say, they give me something else to do during combat, and something I'd honestly rather be doing because even at their peak, MMO combat systems are always bad.

>

You sound old scool like me.. but even i got used to voice chat, making the need to type fairly non existant in groups..

So the abillity to chat with companions is not really part of the realtime decision making anymore

I currently am playing ele, rev and engi..

Also have thief, ranger and guard..

All max level and reasoably geared..

Ranger and guard feel less tactical to me..

Thief used to be my favorite..

Yet i don’t like deadeye.. and love support buils, so i am saving my thief hoping for next expansion..

The other 3 are quite close and much tactical fun..

As long as younstay away from the meta builds..