Where does the commander get their power from?

Tomahawk.7361

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Tomahawk.7361" said:

> **possible spoilers**

>

> Where does the commander get their power from? Heroic deeds, peaked strength, and even plausible magical energies can go into making this character strong, but taking on elder dragons and gods now? Zhaitan, you had a mass airship armada, and mordremoth you cheated a physical fight by entering the dragon's mind. This time around in PoF you accomplish some fairly unimaginable feats, even for this fantasy realm. Is there any lore or explanation for how the commander is able to become this beast of power that can overthrow a god whilst fighing an elder dragon? It would help my suspension of disbelief if there was at least something.

The commander varies from the class you choose. The power is given by the gods of tyria. For example reaper is power from Grenth. Since Grenth is the god of death, necromancers get power from him. I don’t know every god by heart, but every single class has power from one of the gods of tyria. Read on the lore of the classes, which will probably help you. I would also assume warrior or berserker is given power from Balthazar, the god of war.

In the start of making a character, it does tell you the gods you get your power from. It doesn’t matter what you choose in selection since it won’t effect your stats. But in actual tyria lore, specific classes get their power from specific gods.

> @"blambidy.3216" said:

> > @"Tomahawk.7361" said:

> > **possible spoilers**

> >

> > Where does the commander get their power from? Heroic deeds, peaked strength, and even plausible magical energies can go into making this character strong, but taking on elder dragons and gods now? Zhaitan, you had a mass airship armada, and mordremoth you cheated a physical fight by entering the dragon's mind. This time around in PoF you accomplish some fairly unimaginable feats, even for this fantasy realm. Is there any lore or explanation for how the commander is able to become this beast of power that can overthrow a god whilst fighing an elder dragon? It would help my suspension of disbelief if there was at least something.

>

> The commander varies from the class you choose. The power is given by the gods of tyria. For example reaper is power from Grenth. Since Grenth is the god of death, necromancers get power from him. I don’t know every god by heart, but every single class has power from one of the gods of tyria. Read on the lore of the classes, which will probably help you. I would also assume warrior or berserker is given power from Balthazar, the god of war.

>

> In the start of making a character, it does tell you the gods you get your power from. It doesn’t matter what you choose in selection since it won’t effect your stats. But in actual tyria lore, specific classes get their power from specific gods.

>

>

No, the powers of professions does not come from the gods. A Norn Reaper doesn't get their magic from Grenth.

Humans (and only they) worship the gods, and *attribute* various magics to different gods, but the magic is simply a fact of Tyria.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > @"blambidy.3216" said:

> > > @"Tomahawk.7361" said:

> > > **possible spoilers**

> > >

> > > Where does the commander get their power from? Heroic deeds, peaked strength, and even plausible magical energies can go into making this character strong, but taking on elder dragons and gods now? Zhaitan, you had a mass airship armada, and mordremoth you cheated a physical fight by entering the dragon's mind. This time around in PoF you accomplish some fairly unimaginable feats, even for this fantasy realm. Is there any lore or explanation for how the commander is able to become this beast of power that can overthrow a god whilst fighing an elder dragon? It would help my suspension of disbelief if there was at least something.

> >

> > The commander varies from the class you choose. The power is given by the gods of tyria. For example reaper is power from Grenth. Since Grenth is the god of death, necromancers get power from him. I don’t know every god by heart, but every single class has power from one of the gods of tyria. Read on the lore of the classes, which will probably help you. I would also assume warrior or berserker is given power from Balthazar, the god of war.

> >

> > In the start of making a character, it does tell you the gods you get your power from. It doesn’t matter what you choose in selection since it won’t effect your stats. But in actual tyria lore, specific classes get their power from specific gods.

> >

> >

>

> No, the powers of professions does not come from the gods. A Norn Reaper doesn't get their magic from Grenth.

> Humans (and only they) worship the gods, and *attribute* various magics to different gods, but the magic is simply a fact of Tyria.

I'll have to read about tyria itself and the dragons then. To think about it, it does make sense how its tyria if other races have power too. So now I am more curious.

> @"blambidy.3216" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > No, the powers of professions does not come from the gods. A Norn Reaper doesn't get their magic from Grenth.

> > Humans (and only they) worship the gods, and *attribute* various magics to different gods, but the magic is simply a fact of Tyria.

>

> I'll have to read about tyria itself and the dragons then. To think about it, it does make sense how its tyria if other races have power too. So now I am more curious.

Much of what we were told in GW1 of how the world works was essentially religous doctrine among the humans. In GW2 we get a wider view since there are more playable races, and the story involves gigantic beings older than the gods' presence in Tyria who eats magic. This means we can piece together a less biased picture of how magic works.

> @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> > @"DietPepsi.4371" said:

> > >! I really didn't like the part in LS Season 3 where the Commander retires from The Pact.

>

> "Commander is a title for life."

Okay, firstly: You replied to a comment from two years ago. Ya numpty. =P

Secondly, The title is fine and all, but is not the focus of my dismay, more so the implications of the role. Retiring the the pact means we no longer command that force, and no longer have it consistently backing us.

> @"Nasuradin.8495" said:

> We also killed Abbadon in GW1

No. You killed a vastly weakened, chained and nearly dead god. The 5 left him on deaths door bound and chained. He was literally a living head and hands bound to a single area in a dark dimension. By the lore of Guild Wars 1 the player character and his party were extremely lucky to have won even with Abbadon in that state.

The fact the player character, with a single baby dragon, in Guild Wars 2 stood toe to toe with a god unchained and gaining power is a joke at best.

> @"Vanthian.9267" said:

> The fact the player character, with a single baby dragon, in Guild Wars 2 stood toe to toe with a god unchained and gaining power is a joke at best.

Remember that Balthazar is a fallen god. Stripped of his powers and chained in the mists. The power Balthazar has when the Commander faces him is accumulated primarily from the Bloodstone and a few other sources. He holds little, if not, none of his original power.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> Magic? No, nothing so crass. The commander simply wears the finest armour in the game: plot armour.

Actually, yes. That's part of the actual plot of the game.

Don't forget that Glint set up a LOT of stuff to get to the ending she foresaw. We've seen the big moves, but she may have (and likely did) set many smaller things into motion, too. She may not have known all of the details of HOW it would play out, but she knew how to set things up to create the chain of events that would result in "The Commander" being in the right place, at the right time, with the right abilities and tools at hand to carry out what needed to be done.

Also, as of mid-HoT, we've been connected to an Elder Dragon in the making. The moment we're in that chase scene instance where Aurene's egg is giving us new abilities, we've basically gained a supernatural link to a force with far higher potential than anything else in the game. We're no longer "just" a human/norn/charr/ect, we're something far more powerful. It doesn't really show much at first, but it's there. I mean, do you really think that just anyone can safely glide on a ley line of raw magic? And in LS3, we begin actually absorbing magic. (The side story where we actually get magic "sick" and need a cure just raises more questions, but points to us being even less normal than before.)

Glint's plans may have ended at this point. I don't know if she was able to see past Aurene's ascension or not. But now, we're directly linked to what is likely the strongest of the Elder Dragons. We've literally pulled ourselves back from being dead (without having to find out what lich tastes like, too!) We might still be killable, but I'm not sure you can say the Commander is mortal any more. At this point, Glint powered plot armor may no longer be needed.

> @"Tomahawk.7361" said:

> **possible spoilers**

>

> Where does the commander get their power from? Heroic deeds, peaked strength, and even plausible magical energies can go into making this character strong, but taking on elder dragons and gods now? Zhaitan, you had a mass airship armada, and mordremoth you cheated a physical fight by entering the dragon's mind. This time around in PoF you accomplish some fairly unimaginable feats, even for this fantasy realm. Is there any lore or explanation for how the commander is able to become this beast of power that can overthrow a god whilst fighing an elder dragon? It would help my suspension of disbelief if there was at least something.

Guess you could say destiny?

Guildwars lore is pretty heavy on concepts like prophecy so fate and destiny I guess play a good part in the role.

In terms of our power though our commander character really isnt anything special.

We don't have any exceptional skills or abilities like many of our partners have displayed over the years.. the only thing we really have is a determination to succeed.

For the most part though it's a group effort.. we rarely if ever accomplish anything alone.

We had help with Zhaitan, help with Scarlet, help with Mordremoth, help with Balthazar, help with Joko and help with Kralkatorrik..

In fact the only time we did attempt to YoloSolo one of these super power being's he sent us straight to the underworld xD

> @"Kulvar.1239" said:

> > @"Daharahj.1325" said:

> > > @Henry.5713 said:

> > > The commander's power comes from the basic story telling. The already done to death **fantasy cliches**

> >

> > Fantasy is one thing, this is outright inconsistent, you either introduce a god empowered by three different elder dragons or you let a mortal and his pet kill him, not both.

> >

> > I personally couldn't swallow the ending, I just didn't buy it. But to each their own, at least the dialogue is good and Taimi is hilarious.

> >

>

> In my headcanon, Balthazar was struck by some of Kralkatorrik attacks before we arrive, so we're just finishing him.

I’m not sure why people are confused about how we were able to kill Balthazar when it was clearly explained during the story.

Balthazar was stripped of a vast majority of his powers by the other Human Gods, and chained in the Mists. After Rytlock freed him, he was _trying_ to regain his powers—but every time, we (The Commander), stopped him. He got back a good chunk of it, yes—but still nothing close to what he’s supposed to have. And it showed when he ROFLStomped us and sent us to the Domain of the Lost.

In the final battle where we defeat him, we do so *with* Sohothin—Balthazar’s own sword, ignited by his own fire—and Aurene’s help. _And_ Kralkatorrik himself joining in at the very end.

There was no “Chosen One” about it aside from being Aurene’s Champion—we were just entrusted with the main tool (Balthazar’s own weapon) to get it done. All of this was explained.

Your character literally steps out of character creation and defeats one of the most powerful bosses next to a member of Destiny's Edge, then people wonder how, seven years later, they are so powerful, like it just materialised out of thin air.

If anything we have significant periods of decline over the years, although we always seem to bounce back.

> @"DietPepsi.4371" said:

> Remember that Balthazar is a fallen god. Stripped of his powers and chained in the mists. The power Balthazar has when the Commander faces him is accumulated primarily from the Bloodstone and a few other sources. He holds little, if not, none of his original power.

First off, when you kill Balthazar he is far from chained. Just compare the two stories and their settings when you defeat them...

Abbadon being struck down by the other 5 gods and sapped of the majority of his power, was chained and bound in a single place and had his body destroyed. A city was constructed over the place where he was struck down to watch over Abbadon to ensure he was never released. The player character barely finishes off his head and hands with the aid of 7 other legendary heroes (Kormir doesn't count because she is useless and always will be) WHILE he is chained in the Realm of Torment.

In comparison too: Balthazar, a fallen god beaten by the 5 gods and chained in the mists. Who is then freed from his chains and begins to accumulate power over the course of a couple Tyrian years. Balthazar then proceeds to get rotflstomped by a baby dragon and the commander with a magical sword, Sohothin. Sohothin was reignited by Balthazar in his weakened state. It bares to mention the story portrays Balthazar as using hardly any power to ignite the sword; A simple flick of his wrist.

Do you not see the extreme difference? One is good writing and leads one into immersion, the other is just awful writing.

The remains of Abbadon, a floating head with hands, bound and chained, losing power over millenniums barely killed by 8 legendary heroes.

Balthazar freed from the mists, gaining power no mortal could ever hope to withstand, killed by the commander with Sohothin and a baby dragon.....

> @"Palador.2170" said:

> > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > Magic? No, nothing so crass. The commander simply wears the finest armour in the game: plot armour.

>

> Actually, yes. That's part of the actual plot of the game.

>

> Don't forget that Glint set up a LOT of stuff to get to the ending she foresaw. We've seen the big moves, but she may have (and likely did) set many smaller things into motion, too. She may not have known all of the details of HOW it would play out, but she knew how to set things up to create the chain of events that would result in "The Commander" being in the right place, at the right time, with the right abilities and tools at hand to carry out what needed to be done.

>

> Also, as of mid-HoT, we've been connected to an Elder Dragon in the making. The moment we're in that chase scene instance where Aurene's egg is giving us new abilities, we've basically gained a supernatural link to a force with far higher potential than anything else in the game. We're no longer "just" a human/norn/charr/ect, we're something far more powerful. It doesn't really show much at first, but it's there. I mean, do you really think that just anyone can safely glide on a ley line of raw magic? And in LS3, we begin actually absorbing magic. (The side story where we actually get magic "sick" and need a cure just raises more questions, but points to us being even less normal than before.)

>

> Glint's plans may have ended at this point. I don't know if she was able to see past Aurene's ascension or not. But now, we're directly linked to what is likely the strongest of the Elder Dragons. We've literally pulled ourselves back from being dead (without having to find out what lich tastes like, too!) We might still be killable, but I'm not sure you can say the Commander is mortal any more. At this point, Glint powered plot armor may no longer be needed.

Excellent points. We've been absorbing raw magic in several forms, even consuming items for it... Just like Dragons and gods do.

I've never seen the commander as uniquely and singularly powerful. They certainly are very strong. But when you look at how they actually defeated dragon champions like Tequatl, or Zhaitan himself, Scarlet, Mordremoth and his Mouth, Lazarus, Balthazar and Kralkatorrik they were always either backed by armies or had some special ritual or scenario that allowed them to succeed.

And when you look at what some of the most powerful character's we've actually seen in game the commander is immensely dwarfed in power. Think of Queen Jenna and her citywide Feedback and ability to kill with a thought. Or Xera and her insane reality warping capabilities. They both make the mesmer player character look like a novice by comparison.

Or Joko compared to necromancers. No matter how the fight goes, he was always just playing along for the sake of fun. And once the fun is over he casual paralyzes the player character as he comes back to life. No player necromancer can create a multi nation spanning undead empire. Or Matthais, who is so powerful he can change weather on a massive, massive scale.

During your 1v1 fight against Balthazar he casually defeats you and kills you once Aurene shows up to assist you. And killing him required teaming up with Aurena and using Sohothin.

To me the commander is a Gordon Freeman type of "Right Person in the Wrong Situation." They are quite skilled and strong, but their success comes from circumstance and their scrappy determination against far greater odds rather than them being singularly powerful compared to other notable fighters and adventurers.