PSA November 2018 US Time Change is Tonight

Donari.5237

Tonight's the night! (Weekend of Nov 3-4). For those US residents living in states that do the Daylight Savings tango, clocks get set back one hour tonight (technically at 2 am you set them back to 1 am, but most do it before they go to bed whenever that is).

This means that game reset time will be an hour earlier on the clock starting Sunday. If you are Eastern time, for example, reset will now be at 7 pm each evening rather than 8. I'm not sure if this will affect Mad King Says timers, but it's likely that if you are still doing MKS at this point and you are used to it being on even hours every two hours, now it will be on odd hours every two hours. Check your timers on world bosses and such.

Enjoy your extra hour of sleep in the morning :)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > I'm not sure if this will affect Mad King Says timers,

> All in-game timers are based on the system clock, which doesn't follow daylight savings. (It uses so-called "universal time," which was invented to be the same for everyone, all the, um, time.)

>

>

Yep. Us Yankees have to do math again.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Really? I think energy conservation always has value. Also, I think it's a good thing that kids don't have to walk to school in the dark.

> Of course, that's just me.

The energy conservation aspect is the part that's no longer true. In some locations, less energy is spent, in some more, and in many (likely most), it doesn't make a difference. There's also a lot of costs to its implementation: traffic gets worse twice a year, productivity is affected. Most of the value (more daylight hours for kids) could be achieved by implementing it year round with no time change or implementing a permanent 30 minute daylight savings.

But it's all moot for these forums: the game clocks will always use universal time because, like @"Danikat.8537" above, they don't enjoy trying to work out time differences.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > I'm not sure if this will affect Mad King Says timers,

> All in-game timers are based on the system clock, which doesn't follow daylight savings. (It uses so-called "universal time," which was invented to be the same for everyone, all the, um, time.)

It probably uses GMT rather than one of the nightmarish range of universal time standards.

For more information, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Time and be prepared to develop a blinding headache.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> My dog doesn’t like the time changes. Twice a year his mealtime is changed and he never understands why.

Thats why i do it slowly for my cat, every few days a little bit later/sooner until he’s on the new schedule. But then again, cats are more flexible anyway (i think)

> It probably uses GMT rather than one of the nightmarish range of universal time standards.

tl;dr UTC is what the game's servers use. Technically, that isn't meaningfully different from GMT — unfortunately, some people confuse the meaning of GMT with the standard time in the UK.

[From the wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Options#User_Interface):

> In-Game Clock — Select whether to display the current time on the bottom-left corner of the minimap. The time can be either your system's local time or the server's time (in UTC time).

See also:

* [Reset](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Server_reset)

* [uTC vs GMT at timeanddate](https://www.timeanddate.com/time/gmt-utc-time.html): "Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is often interchanged or confused with Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). But **GMT is a time zone and UTC is a time standard**."

Despite that, for our purposes, there's no practical difference between _UTC_ & _GMT_: neither observes daylight savings. However, (and confusingly) countries that use _GMT_ colloquially, e.g. the UK, often observe daylight savings. London uses BST (British Summer Time) & GMT. Consequently, I type UTC because it's unambiguous.