Birthday Gifts

> @"Staynair.8073" said:

> In GW1 there was at least some randomness to the birthday gifts. Can we throw in a black lion key to give us back some of that randomness.

A lot of people hated that randomness with GW1 BD gifts: why should one person get a valuable 'unique' mini while most people get a nearly-worthless common one? 364 days a year, your character gets to pray to RNGesus, so this reward being predetermined strikes a lot of people as more fair, more fun, and more of a celebration.

There's something to be said for receiving a gift and not knowing what it is until you open it. It's always fun to think "could this be something amazing?" Sure you can try to avoid spoilers until your birthday gift is delivered, but all subsequent gifts are rendered boring. The whole spirit of wrapping up a gift is to give the recipient the excitement of anticipation. I'd love for there to be something random included.

> @"Boysenberry.1869" said:

> There's something to be said for receiving a gift and not knowing what it is until you open it. It's always fun to think "could this be something amazing?" Sure you can try to avoid spoilers until your birthday gift is delivered, but all subsequent gifts are rendered boring. The whole spirit of wrapping up a gift is to give the recipient the excitement of anticipation. I'd love for there to be something random included.

You could always use the level scroll on a new char, do a key run and get something random from a Black Lion chest.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> You could always use the level scroll on a new char, do a key run and get something random from a Black Lion chest.

I've actually been doing that lately but going all the way to level 60 for 3 keys. It's very tedious though so I doubt I'll do it often. Also, it's like receiving a gift card and being told to just buy my own gift. Lessens the fun. :p

> There's something to be said for receiving a gift and not knowing what it is until you open it. It's always fun to think "could this be something amazing?" Sure you can try to avoid spoilers until your birthday gift is delivered, but all subsequent gifts are rendered boring. The whole spirit of wrapping up a gift is to give the recipient the excitement of anticipation. I'd love for there to be something random included.

99% of the time it will be a pile of poop if it took the RNG approach.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Boysenberry.1869" said:

> > There's something to be said for receiving a gift and not knowing what it is until you open it. It's always fun to think "could this be something amazing?" Sure you can try to avoid spoilers until your birthday gift is delivered, but all subsequent gifts are rendered boring. The whole spirit of wrapping up a gift is to give the recipient the excitement of anticipation. I'd love for there to be something random included.

>

> 99% of the time it will be a pile of poop if it took the RNG approach.

Indeed. If it drops often, it won't have a high TP value. If it doesn't drop frequently, neither of us will get it.

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > You could always use the level scroll on a new char, do a key run and get something random from a Black Lion chest.

> I've actually been doing that lately but going all the way to level 60 for 3 keys. It's very tedious though so I doubt I'll do it often. Also, it's like receiving a gift card and being told to just buy my own gift. Lessens the fun. :p

If you're going that far you should consider burning another few tomes for the sigil of nullification. It will prolly be worth more than whatever drops out of your chests. Or instead of burning the tomes just complete a map after your keyrun, gets you to 64 and gets you a 25% shot a 4th key . . .

I'd be ok with random birthday gifts only if they were tradable. I have 11 characters and you can guarentee I'd end up getting the same thing 11 times, and not the one/s I wanted.

But having used both systems I think I prefer this one. Admittedly I get a bit of excitement still because my oldest character is from the first day of headstart so I don't know until about 8 hours before what he's going to get. But I don't mind knowing what everyone else is getting, it means I can plan ahead for how I'm going to use it. (Although in GW1 the present was always a mini pet or tonic, so there wasn't much planning needed - it was keep it or sell it.)

> @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > You could always use the level scroll on a new char, do a key run and get something random from a Black Lion chest.

> > I've actually been doing that lately but going all the way to level 60 for 3 keys. It's very tedious though so I doubt I'll do it often. Also, it's like receiving a gift card and being told to just buy my own gift. Lessens the fun. :p

>

> If you're going that far you should consider burning another few tomes for the sigil of nullification. It will prolly be worth more than whatever drops out of your chests. Or instead of burning the tomes just complete a map after your keyrun, gets you to 64 and gets you a 25% shot a 4th key . . .

If you level the character to 60 using a scroll and then do the level 10-60 storylines the XP from that should get you to at least level 64. Especially with 'extra' XP from discovering locations and waypoints as you go through the story.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > @"Boysenberry.1869" said:

> > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > You could always use the level scroll on a new char, do a key run and get something random from a Black Lion chest.

> > > I've actually been doing that lately but going all the way to level 60 for 3 keys. It's very tedious though so I doubt I'll do it often. Also, it's like receiving a gift card and being told to just buy my own gift. Lessens the fun. :p

> >

> > If you're going that far you should consider burning another few tomes for the sigil of nullification. It will prolly be worth more than whatever drops out of your chests. Or instead of burning the tomes just complete a map after your keyrun, gets you to 64 and gets you a 25% shot a 4th key . . .

>

> If you level the character to 60 using a scroll and then do the level 10-60 storylines the XP from that should get you to at least level 64. Especially with 'extra' XP from discovering locations and waypoints as you go through the story.

Yes but unless you have 52 six year old toons you will eventually run out of level 60 scrolls :p

With tomes I do 54, that puts me at 60 by the time I get to the level 60 story and 61 or maybe 62 by the time I finish it. You can ofc start at 60, but you're burning an extra 6 tomes every week, not that they're hard to come by. Since the newfound value of the level 64 sigil I've been doing 55, which gets me to 64 after the story is complete and I complete one map, so 3.25 keys plus map goodies for just a little extra time . . .

> @"Gop.8713" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > @"Boysenberry.1869" said:

> > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > You could always use the level scroll on a new char, do a key run and get something random from a Black Lion chest.

> > > > I've actually been doing that lately but going all the way to level 60 for 3 keys. It's very tedious though so I doubt I'll do it often. Also, it's like receiving a gift card and being told to just buy my own gift. Lessens the fun. :p

> > >

> > > If you're going that far you should consider burning another few tomes for the sigil of nullification. It will prolly be worth more than whatever drops out of your chests. Or instead of burning the tomes just complete a map after your keyrun, gets you to 64 and gets you a 25% shot a 4th key . . .

> >

> > If you level the character to 60 using a scroll and then do the level 10-60 storylines the XP from that should get you to at least level 64. Especially with 'extra' XP from discovering locations and waypoints as you go through the story.

>

> Yes but unless you have 52 six year old toons you will eventually run out of level 60 scrolls :p

>

> With tomes I do 54, that puts me at 60 by the time I get to the level 60 story and 61 or maybe 62 by the time I finish it. You can ofc start at 60, but you're burning an extra 6 tomes every week, not that they're hard to come by. Since the newfound value of the level 64 sigil I've been doing 55, which gets me to 64 after the story is complete and I complete one map, so 3.25 keys plus map goodies for just a little extra time . . .

But this discussion was specifically about what to do with extra level 60 scrolls from birthday gifts, not the most efficient way to use tomes to farm the sigil.

If you're using tomes then yes it's better to only use as many as you need (I'd even say it's worth doing the first few hearts to get to level 5 or so naturally since early levels are very fast) - but if you're using a level 60 scroll like JAFW and Boysenberry said you can't be as selective - you can only use it to jump to level 60 from whatever level you start, so any XP you get from the story will add to that.

> @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > You could always use the level scroll on a new char, do a key run and get something random from a Black Lion chest.

> > I've actually been doing that lately but going all the way to level 60 for 3 keys. It's very tedious though so I doubt I'll do it often. Also, it's like receiving a gift card and being told to just buy my own gift. Lessens the fun. :p

>

> If you're going that far you should consider burning another few tomes for the sigil of nullification. It will prolly be worth more than whatever drops out of your chests. Or instead of burning the tomes just complete a map after your keyrun, gets you to 64 and gets you a 25% shot a 4th key . . .

Additional tomes are unnecessary for that depending on how you do it. I hit 60 right after character creation because of the lv60 gear. After that you get to 64+ just from completing the run.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > @"Boysenberry.1869" said:

> > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > You could always use the level scroll on a new char, do a key run and get something random from a Black Lion chest.

> > > > > I've actually been doing that lately but going all the way to level 60 for 3 keys. It's very tedious though so I doubt I'll do it often. Also, it's like receiving a gift card and being told to just buy my own gift. Lessens the fun. :p

> > > >

> > > > If you're going that far you should consider burning another few tomes for the sigil of nullification. It will prolly be worth more than whatever drops out of your chests. Or instead of burning the tomes just complete a map after your keyrun, gets you to 64 and gets you a 25% shot a 4th key . . .

> > >

> > > If you level the character to 60 using a scroll and then do the level 10-60 storylines the XP from that should get you to at least level 64. Especially with 'extra' XP from discovering locations and waypoints as you go through the story.

> >

> > Yes but unless you have 52 six year old toons you will eventually run out of level 60 scrolls :p

> >

> > With tomes I do 54, that puts me at 60 by the time I get to the level 60 story and 61 or maybe 62 by the time I finish it. You can ofc start at 60, but you're burning an extra 6 tomes every week, not that they're hard to come by. Since the newfound value of the level 64 sigil I've been doing 55, which gets me to 64 after the story is complete and I complete one map, so 3.25 keys plus map goodies for just a little extra time . . .

>

> But this discussion was specifically about what to do with extra level 60 scrolls from birthday gifts, not the most efficient way to use tomes to farm the sigil.

>

> If you're using tomes then yes it's better to only use as many as you need (I'd even say it's worth doing the first few hearts to get to level 5 or so naturally since early levels are very fast) - but if you're using a level 60 scroll like JAFW and Boysenberry said you can't be as selective - you can only use it to jump to level 60 from whatever level you start, so any XP you get from the story will add to that.

Right you are. Terribly sorry if my effort to provide additional helpful information instead derailed the thread . . .

> @"Solvar.7953" said:

> It would be amusing/interesting if you could toss 4 minis into the mystic forge and get a random mini out (or maybe sometimes, you even just get junk). At least then, you could do something with all those duplicate minis.

From the Wiki:

_The above miniatures (Sets I - III) are mainly acquired through opening Toy Mini Eggs. They can be used in the Mystic Forge by combining any four miniatures of the same rarity to create a random miniature of the same or higher rarity from any set, regardless of the set they came from._

Perhaps, though, when stating '4 minis', you were referring to the Queen Jennah Miniature only; except for the Priest of Balthazar (which can be forged, I believe), I'm not sure which others are non-purposely acquired as duplicates, or can not be sold.

Of course, I'm not familiar with every Miniature.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > In GW1 there was at least some randomness to the birthday gifts. Can we throw in a black lion key to give us back some of that randomness.

>

> A lot of people hated that randomness with GW1 BD gifts: why should one person get a valuable 'unique' mini while most people get a nearly-worthless common one? 364 days a year, your character gets to pray to RNGesus, so this reward being predetermined strikes a lot of people as more fair, more fun, and more of a celebration.

They are idiots in that case, with gw1 you at least had the chance getting something. Now with this system you will never get anything.

> @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > > In GW1 there was at least some randomness to the birthday gifts. Can we throw in a black lion key to give us back some of that randomness.

> >

> > A lot of people hated that randomness with GW1 BD gifts: why should one person get a valuable 'unique' mini while most people get a nearly-worthless common one? 364 days a year, your character gets to pray to RNGesus, so this reward being predetermined strikes a lot of people as more fair, more fun, and more of a celebration.

>

> They are idiots in that case, with gw1 you at least had the chance getting something. Now with this system you will never get anything.

So I was imagining that armour set and the backpacks, titles, weapons, _cake gun_, karma and all the new dyes I got from birthday gifts then?

I suspect what you mean is you don't get something you personally want to have - but that's a very different problem from genuinely not getting anything.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > > > In GW1 there was at least some randomness to the birthday gifts. Can we throw in a black lion key to give us back some of that randomness.

> > >

> > > A lot of people hated that randomness with GW1 BD gifts: why should one person get a valuable 'unique' mini while most people get a nearly-worthless common one? 364 days a year, your character gets to pray to RNGesus, so this reward being predetermined strikes a lot of people as more fair, more fun, and more of a celebration.

> >

> > They are idiots in that case, with gw1 you at least had the chance getting something. Now with this system you will never get anything.

>

> So I was imagining that armour set and the backpacks, titles, weapons, _cake gun_, karma and all the new dyes I got from birthday gifts then?

>

> I suspect what you mean is you don't get something you personally want to have - but that's a very different problem from genuinely not getting anything.

I mean that is worth absolutely nothing. In GW1 you could have hit the jackpot, and in GW2 it is instant useless since everyone has it :/

> > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > In GW1 there was at least some randomness to the birthday gifts. Can we throw in a black lion key to give us back some of that randomness.

>

> A lot of people hated that randomness with GW1 BD gifts: why should one person get a valuable 'unique' mini while most people get a nearly-worthless common one? 364 days a year, your character gets to pray to RNGesus, so this reward being predetermined strikes a lot of people as more fair, more fun, and more of a celebration.

Yeah I have to agree with this a million times over.

Once a year RNG for unique rewards is a terrible thing..

> @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > > > > In GW1 there was at least some randomness to the birthday gifts. Can we throw in a black lion key to give us back some of that randomness.

> > > >

> > > > A lot of people hated that randomness with GW1 BD gifts: why should one person get a valuable 'unique' mini while most people get a nearly-worthless common one? 364 days a year, your character gets to pray to RNGesus, so this reward being predetermined strikes a lot of people as more fair, more fun, and more of a celebration.

> > >

> > > They are idiots in that case, with gw1 you at least had the chance getting something. Now with this system you will never get anything.

> >

> > So I was imagining that armour set and the backpacks, titles, weapons, _cake gun_, karma and all the new dyes I got from birthday gifts then?

> >

> > I suspect what you mean is you don't get something you personally want to have - but that's a very different problem from genuinely not getting anything.

>

> I mean that is worth absolutely nothing. In GW1 you could have hit the jackpot, and in GW2 it is instant useless since everyone has it :/

That is only relevant from the perspective of "How much can I sell this for?".

GW2's birthdays are instead along the line of "Here, have this neat thing!"

Yes, the Jenna from 1st year is ludicrously underwhelming from your second character onwards. The dye selections in the 3rd and later presents however are really cool! As is the weapons, backpieces and armor in the account-wide presents.

> @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > > In GW1 there was at least some randomness to the birthday gifts. Can we throw in a black lion key to give us back some of that randomness.

> >

> > A lot of people hated that randomness with GW1 BD gifts: why should one person get a valuable 'unique' mini while most people get a nearly-worthless common one? 364 days a year, your character gets to pray to RNGesus, so this reward being predetermined strikes a lot of people as more fair, more fun, and more of a celebration.

>

> They are idiots in that case, with gw1 you at least had the chance getting something. Now with this system you will never get anything.

I guess that makes me an idiot, as I prefer the GW2 system in which I can guarantee the opportunity to to choose something of value to me. Fighting the Death-branded Shattererererer? I absolutely love having an astronomical chance to get an infusion worth 1000s & 1000s of gold and vaguely better chance of getting a precursor or the like. For birthdays? I enjoy non-random a lot more.

> > @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > > > In GW1 there was at least some randomness to the birthday gifts. Can we throw in a black lion key to give us back some of that randomness.

> > >

> > > A lot of people hated that randomness with GW1 BD gifts: why should one person get a valuable 'unique' mini while most people get a nearly-worthless common one? 364 days a year, your character gets to pray to RNGesus, so this reward being predetermined strikes a lot of people as more fair, more fun, and more of a celebration.

> >

> > They are idiots in that case, with gw1 you at least had the chance getting something. Now with this system you will never get anything.

>

> I guess that makes me an idiot, as I prefer the GW2 system in which I can guarantee the opportunity to to choose something of value to me. Fighting the Death-branded Shattererererer? I absolutely love having an astronomical chance to get an infusion worth 1000s & 1000s of gold and vaguely better chance of getting a precursor or the like. For birthdays? I enjoy non-random a lot more.

Me to then, i hated the system in GW1 because more often than not i got a mini i already had, and had already gotten numerous times. Give me a fixed chance everytime when it comes to Bdays.