Obtaining mastery points is tedious.

> @"kapri.5918" said:

> > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > @"kapri.5918" said:

> > > These mastery points can be in some of the oddest locations and then add to the fact that you will not know where to look for them unless you took the time to google them.

> > There's really no need to google. Just check your achievement log. Any category with a red mastery point symbol contains one (or more) open achievement that rewards a central Tyria mastery point. Sub-categories and the achievements themselves are marked with the same symbol.

> >

> > Or check the [wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks") if you really find the achievement description unclear. Most of them are pretty straight-forward, but there are a few that have an obscure description ;) .

>

> As a player who is still new that I still squeak when I move, as I hit 80 the depths to this game that has opened up is very daunting. Achievements do give me a more defined thing to do (and yes, I work on them little by little) I find myself doing multiple other things as well that may (do) take my attention away from them. But i was just referencing the stand alone mastery points nodes (similar to the heroic point ones) in my statement and not the other options to gain MP.

All of the "stand alone" mastery insights have achievements attached to them, too. Look for [General -> Mastery Insights](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_Insights_(Central_Tyria) "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_Insights_(Central_Tyria)") in your achievement log. Once you know what map to check, you should be able to find them on the world map in game.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game practically throws mastery points at you especially post PoF. What mastery are you at and which ones are you finding tedious to obtain? You need to specify so people can help you. Also there are guides with video online to show you how you can get most of them, many of which don't require any sort of grinding.

Edit: also when you reach level 80, it's not about getting exp. Exp doesn't mean much after that. Getting to level 80 is just the start of all the fun you can have so you might want to adjust the "wasted xp" mindset because games nowadays are not all about leveling anymore.

> @"Emprer.7256" said:

> This game practically throws mastery points at you especially post PoF. What mastery are you at and which ones are you finding tedious to obtain? You need to specify so people can help you. Also there are guides with video online to show you how you can get most of them, many of which don't require any sort of grinding.

>

> Edit: also when you reach level 80, it's not about getting exp. Exp doesn't mean much after that. Getting to level 80 is just the start of all the fun you can have so you might want to adjust the "wasted xp" mindset because games nowadays are not all about leveling anymore.

Well the OP is mentioning core Tyrian stuff but OP is also complaining about collections when there are only 7 which can all be skipped and I guess they don't want to do any of the other 9+ either ...

Got all mastery points bar raids, cos you know *raids* that I have no interest in, on main account.

Now doing it on second account. Got all I need for PoF because they are easy as hell to get, working though PoF (still need 70 odd but got to do story as well) and will be stuck for ages on the tyrian ones because I won't be farming leggie weapons on that one.

My point is, yes I am struggling at times to do points and find myself having to do a 'run' and get 5 or 6 on the go, but I won't be without gliding, I need to talk to the merchants because i'm an ascended armour freak and need recipes, and mounts to me are a necessity.

I don't find them boring some are a challenge but it's a case of once bitten twice shy. I'd rather farm gear.

> @"DaFishBob.6518" said:

> Why is it spoon collecting is so hated? There's only 3 spoons that depend on RNG and they still drop more often than not when you need the collection, just hang out at the end of Tequatl and see all the spoons being pinged in chat.

>

> And why would a WvW/PvP player ever care about mastery points? They literally have no use for them.

I thought I needed it for WvW autoloot but also because id be interested in crafting a gen 2 leg...

Took me a while to see this comment, usually when people respond to someone they quote the person

I want those MPs but to aquire them currently isnt my idea of fun and due to that and me being the sort of person to not like wasting my life on digital vanity grinds, I wont ever get to them.

My 9k hours have been a blast mostly, I wont have to sit thier with regret wondering why I spent hours of my life over a single MP.

These are the Central Tyria mastery points that I've done, and I've unlocked all the tracks all the way to the end, although with none left over, but none achieved in Fractals either:

* Personal Story: 8

* Tyrian Insights: 9

* LS2 story-completion: 8 (just the basic episode completions)

* Karkas in LA: 1

* Go for the Gold and Retrospective Runaround in the Silverwastes: 2

* Triple Trouble completed: 2 plus 3 from the Bosses category

* Tequatl completed 2 plus 1 in the bosses category

* Tormentor, Executioner and Annihilator in the Silverwastes 3

* Ruler of Shinies in Dry Top (Skritt Queen) 1

* Map completion 1

* Reached level 80 = 1

* Dive Master (Yes, I jumped all the way to the goggles in Not So Secret without a mesmer to help me. Go Staff Daredevil for this.) 1

* Emperor's New Wardrobe (Cultural armour skin collection) 1

* Hidden Garden JP 1

* Karka Queen in Southsun Cove 1

* Justice of the Blade (bandit bounty bosses in Central Tyria) 1

* Transfer Chaser 1

* Grand Artisan (ascended armour skin unlocks) 1

* And that's it. I haven't finished Koutalophile because it requires a fractal-only spoon.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"TopBadge.3569" said:

> > The problem isn't that there isn't enough, the problem is that is the content required for the few remaining makes me want to cough up blood.

> Look again then. You can skip about 1/3. There are many points that require little time, especially some of the fractal ones (you just need someone willing to carry you if you don't want to learn the fractals, but since they can be done in Tier 1 that might not even be an issue).

>

> If your primary concern is spirit shards, in all sorts of ways. If your concern is "wasted XP," then (1) every one playing long enough ends up with wasted XP & (2) there was an entire year in which XP was wasted because the game didn't even reward spirit shards, whether or not you had maxed masteries. (And that period was longer for some players who didn't raid.)

>

>

yes I know I have those ones already.

>there was an entire year in which XP was wasted because the game didn't even reward spirit shards, whether or not you had maxed masteries. (And that period was longer for some players who didn't raid.)

What does this have to do with anything?

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> I thought I needed it for WvW autoloot but also because id be interested in crafting a gen 2 leg...

WvW autoloot is separate from PvE autoloot. You have to train the WvW provisions master ability to rank 4 to gain the autoloot ability in WvW.

You do need the PvE legendary crafting mastery trained all the way to craft gen2 legendaries (although precursar crafting can be started as soon as you have trained the first rank). If it's one of the earliest four weapons you are after (axe, staff, pistol, shortbow), be prepared for some really extensive collections though.

> @"TopBadge.3569" said:

> yes I know I have those ones already.

If you did, you'd be maxed.

>

> >there was an entire year in which XP was wasted because the game didn't even reward spirit shards, whether or not you had maxed masteries. (And that period was longer for some players who didn't raid.)

>

> What does this have to do with anything?

You're claiming that somehow you're locked out of something significant; you're not. The entire community got nothing from XP for a year, without it being a major issue, because shards drop from other sources.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > I thought I needed it for WvW autoloot but also because id be interested in crafting a gen 2 leg...

> WvW autoloot is separate from PvE autoloot. You have to train the WvW provisions master ability to rank 4 to gain the autoloot ability in WvW.

>

> You do need the PvE legendary crafting mastery trained all the way to craft gen2 legendaries (although precursar crafting can be started as soon as you have trained the first rank). If it's one of the earliest four weapons you are after (axe, staff, pistol, shortbow), be prepared for some really extensive collections though.

>

Yea I implied that when I said I thought I needed it but a friend new to the game just got his ipos within 3 weeks and now im sorta keen to get one too but I can also go without..

I welcome more MPs especially if they are tied to PvP or WvW

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"TopBadge.3569" said:

> > yes I know I have those ones already.

> If you did, you'd be maxed.

> >

> > >there was an entire year in which XP was wasted because the game didn't even reward spirit shards, whether or not you had maxed masteries. (And that period was longer for some players who didn't raid.)

> >

> > What does this have to do with anything?

>

> You're claiming that somehow you're locked out of something significant; you're not. The entire community got nothing from XP for a year, without it being a major issue, because shards drop from other sources.

I have and you're wrong so...

And this argument that my issue doesn't matter because people in the past also suffered it just ridiculous.

> @"TopBadge.3569" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"TopBadge.3569" said:

> > > yes I know I have those ones already.

> > If you did, you'd be maxed.

> > >

> > > >there was an entire year in which XP was wasted because the game didn't even reward spirit shards, whether or not you had maxed masteries. (And that period was longer for some players who didn't raid.)

> > >

> > > What does this have to do with anything?

> >

> > You're claiming that somehow you're locked out of something significant; you're not. The entire community got nothing from XP for a year, without it being a major issue, because shards drop from other sources.

>

> I have and you're wrong so...

>

> And this argument that my issue doesn't matter because people in the past also suffered it just ridiculous.

It's not about people suffering, it's that the "reward" of Spirit Shards for XP after finishing masteries is an *almost totally insignificant* reward! It's a super minor perc. *Especially* for a WvW player, as WvW gives *bonkers* amount of Tomes of Knowledge, which can be used to gain Spirit Shards.

> @"TopBadge.3569" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"TopBadge.3569" said:

> > > yes I know I have those ones already.

> > If you did, you'd be maxed.

> > >

> > > >there was an entire year in which XP was wasted because the game didn't even reward spirit shards, whether or not you had maxed masteries. (And that period was longer for some players who didn't raid.)

> > >

> > > What does this have to do with anything?

> >

> > You're claiming that somehow you're locked out of something significant; you're not. The entire community got nothing from XP for a year, without it being a major issue, because shards drop from other sources.

>

> I have and you're wrong so...

>

> And this argument that my issue doesn't matter because people in the past also suffered it just ridiculous.

Then you are missing some of the ones hes talking about. I was able to max out /all/ my masterys, and i didnt and still dont have at least 10-15 of them, the most grindy, painful ones to get i dont have.

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> I still need 4 more central tyria masteries to complete the legendary mastery line. And, honestly, I don't care at all about that. I just play content to have fun, XP and masteries are just collateral.

I need 7. And yes, I play to have fun. But I cannot remove the XP floaters when I kill something or finish something. Yet that XP doesn't go to me. Because Anet wants me to play Fractals with complete strangers.

> @"LadyRhonwyn.2501" said:

> > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > I still need 4 more central tyria masteries to complete the legendary mastery line. And, honestly, I don't care at all about that. I just play content to have fun, XP and masteries are just collateral.

>

> I need 7. And yes, I play to have fun. But I cannot remove the XP floaters when I kill something or finish something. Yet that XP doesn't go to me. Because Anet wants me to play Fractals with complete strangers.

But you don't *need* to play Fractals with *anybody* to max out the Central Tyria Mastery tracks. Look at the list I posted on page 1: none of those things involved running Fractals, and none of them involved endlessly repeating LS2 content to finish all the achievements.

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"LadyRhonwyn.2501" said:

> > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > I still need 4 more central tyria masteries to complete the legendary mastery line. And, honestly, I don't care at all about that. I just play content to have fun, XP and masteries are just collateral.

> >

> > I need 7. And yes, I play to have fun. But I cannot remove the XP floaters when I kill something or finish something. Yet that XP doesn't go to me. Because Anet wants me to play Fractals with complete strangers.

>

> But you don't *need* to play Fractals with *anybody* to max out the Central Tyria Mastery tracks. Look at the list I posted on page 1: none of those things involved running Fractals, and none of them involved endlessly repeating LS2 content to finish all the achievements.

In fact I was never planning to do fractals to get the last 4 mastery points:

I'm not quite worried about it, but when I finally get into the mood to do it, I'm just going to search for the Mordrem Tormentor in Silverwastes and get 2 point in just one hit. Then I'll probably complete the Golden Lost Badges. I'm also not done with Tequatl achievements, so there is another one I can do simply zerging.

And I can also buy the last 30% of the Cultural Armors I still don't have and get another mastery point, essentially just by spending some of the Karma I'm drowning in... And there is also Triple Trouble, wich gives you 2 masteries, and wich I've done only once.

And all of this are most probable ONLY because I don't feel like trying to re-do a few Season 2 chapters, which would probably be even easier.

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> These are the Central Tyria mastery points that I've done, and I've unlocked all the tracks all the way to the end, although with none left over, but none achieved in Fractals either:

> * Personal Story: 8

> * Tyrian Insights: 9

> * LS2 story-completion: 8 (just the basic episode completions)

> * Karkas in LA: 1

> * Go for the Gold and Retrospective Runaround in the Silverwastes: 2

> * Triple Trouble completed: 2 plus 3 from the Bosses category

> * Tequatl completed 2 plus 1 in the bosses category

> * Tormentor, Executioner and Annihilator in the Silverwastes 3

> * Ruler of Shinies in Dry Top (Skritt Queen) 1

> * Map completion 1

> * Reached level 80 = 1

> * Dive Master (Yes, I jumped all the way to the goggles in Not So Secret without a mesmer to help me. Go Staff Daredevil for this.) 1

> * Emperor's New Wardrobe (Cultural armour skin collection) 1

> * Hidden Garden JP 1

> * Karka Queen in Southsun Cove 1

> * Justice of the Blade (bandit bounty bosses in Central Tyria) 1

> * Transfer Chaser 1

> * Grand Artisan (ascended armour skin unlocks) 1

> * And that's it. I haven't finished Koutalophile because it requires a fractal-only spoon.

>

Just a note: There is another Legendary (Demolisher) in SW and if you get it it would be +2 MPs 1 for leg 1 for killing all 4

Letting you save 600 gold from 'Emperor' and something else

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > These are the Central Tyria mastery points that I've done, and I've unlocked all the tracks all the way to the end, although with none left over, but none achieved in Fractals either:

> > * Personal Story: 8

> > * Tyrian Insights: 9

> > * LS2 story-completion: 8 (just the basic episode completions)

> > * Karkas in LA: 1

> > * Go for the Gold and Retrospective Runaround in the Silverwastes: 2

> > * Triple Trouble completed: 2 plus 3 from the Bosses category

> > * Tequatl completed 2 plus 1 in the bosses category

> > * Tormentor, Executioner and Annihilator in the Silverwastes 3

> > * Ruler of Shinies in Dry Top (Skritt Queen) 1

> > * Map completion 1

> > * Reached level 80 = 1

> > * Dive Master (Yes, I jumped all the way to the goggles in Not So Secret without a mesmer to help me. Go Staff Daredevil for this.) 1

> > * Emperor's New Wardrobe (Cultural armour skin collection) 1

> > * Hidden Garden JP 1

> > * Karka Queen in Southsun Cove 1

> > * Justice of the Blade (bandit bounty bosses in Central Tyria) 1

> > * Transfer Chaser 1

> > * Grand Artisan (ascended armour skin unlocks) 1

> > * And that's it. I haven't finished Koutalophile because it requires a fractal-only spoon.

> >

>

> Just a note: There is another Legendary (Demolisher) in SW and if you get it it would be +2 MPs 1 for leg 1 for killing all 4

> Letting you save 600 gold from 'Emperor' and something else

Good point. As I recall it, the very last thing I did was the third of the SW Legendaries, so that question didn't arise. If you asked me to propose a "something else" from my list, it would be "Dive Master" to avoid having to get up to the goggles in NSS, or maybe Grand Artisan, because making lots of ascended armour is not cheap.