Question about condition duration

BlueJin.4127

Ok, from ingame tooltip. Chaosvortext, just the torment as example. 201 Conditiondmg (Stats) in both cases.

Chaosvortex with 0% Condiduration: Torment 8s 200dmg, 400dmg if moving

Chaosvortex with 20% Condiduration: Torment 9 1/2s 240dmg, 479dmg if moving

Should clearly show the the dmg-output get higher with higher duration.

> @"Ronan.9518" said:

> Ok, from ingame tooltip. Chaosvortext, just the torment as example. 201 Conditiondmg (Stats) in both cases.

> Chaosvortex with 0% Condiduration: Torment 8s 200dmg, 400dmg if moving

> Chaosvortex with 20% Condiduration: Torment 9 1/2s 240dmg, 479dmg if moving

> Should clearly show the the dmg-output get higher with higher duration.

Yes, it's showing the total dmg, not dmg per second.

If you take 200/8= 25/second

240/9 ½= 25,26/second

So dmg/second stays the same, overall dmg increased due to longer condi duration

> @"DerJoker.9081" said:

> > @"Ronan.9518" said:

> > Ok, from ingame tooltip. Chaosvortext, just the torment as example. 201 Conditiondmg (Stats) in both cases.

> > Chaosvortex with 0% Condiduration: Torment 8s 200dmg, 400dmg if moving

> > Chaosvortex with 20% Condiduration: Torment 9 1/2s 240dmg, 479dmg if moving

> > Should clearly show the the dmg-output get higher with higher duration.

>

>

> Yes, it's showing the total dmg, not dmg per second.

> If you take 200/8= 25/second

> 240/9 ½= 25,26/second

> So dmg/second stays the same, overall dmg increased due to longer condi duration

I never said something about the dmg per second. (or at least didn't intend to, due to englisch not beeing my first language, maybe i somethere worded something wrong)

The OP asked if with 100% higher duration the dmg would go from 100dmg over 8 second, to 200dng over 16sec or 100dmg over 16sec. This question should have been answered with my previous post, if i as mentioned, i didn't word wrong what i intended to say.

> @"Ronan.9518" said:

> > @"DerJoker.9081" said:

> > > @"Ronan.9518" said:

> > > Ok, from ingame tooltip. Chaosvortext, just the torment as example. 201 Conditiondmg (Stats) in both cases.

> > > Chaosvortex with 0% Condiduration: Torment 8s 200dmg, 400dmg if moving

> > > Chaosvortex with 20% Condiduration: Torment 9 1/2s 240dmg, 479dmg if moving

> > > Should clearly show the the dmg-output get higher with higher duration.

> >

> >

> > Yes, it's showing the total dmg, not dmg per second.

> > If you take 200/8= 25/second

> > 240/9 ½= 25,26/second

> > So dmg/second stays the same, overall dmg increased due to longer condi duration

>

> I never said something about the dmg per second. (or at least didn't intend to, due to englisch not beeing my first language, maybe i somethere worded something wrong)

>

> The OP asked if with 100% higher duration the dmg would go from 100dmg over 8 second, to 200dng over 16sec or 100dmg over 16sec. This question should have been answered with my previous post, if i as mentioned, i didn't word wrong what i intended to say.

the raw damage dont get higher it just goes on for longer so its more ticks resulting higher overall damage.

Ok, it seems i'm wording something wrong.

I'm well aware that the dmg per tick doesn't change due to higher condition duration and only the total dmg of the skill gets higher because it gets more ticks.

Or maybe i'm misunderstanding the question of the OP.

Because as far as i understand it, s/he wants to know, if with 100% increased duration, 100 dmg (total) over (a time of) 8 seconds, would change to 200dmg (total) over (a time of) 16 sec or 100 dmg(total) over (a time of) 16 sec.

In the case of 100 dmg over 8 sec we would have 12,5 dmg/sec.

In the case of 200 dmg over 16 sec we would have 12,5 dmg/sec.

In the case of 100 dmg over 16 sec we would have 6,25 dmg/sec

**If** i'm interpreting the question correct, your initial answer of 100dmg over 16 sec would be wrong Linken.6345 (if i hadn't thought so, i wouldn't have given an answer to an already answered question).

I have a feeling something got missed here..

So you apply a condi with a skill that says it'll do 100 damage and the duration of said condi is 8 seconds.

Time to clarify a few things:

- The tooltips in the game listing damage for condis show how much **damage per tick** they do.

- The stacks a skill gives is already accounted for in the tooltip, so a skill that gives 1 bleed will show 100 damage and a skill that gives 2 stacks will show it does 200 (100x2) damage.

Now that that's out of the way, lets look at durations:

Example 1:

A condi that ticks for 8 seconds, doing a 100 damage each tick. This skill will do a total of (8x100) 800 damage over it's duration.

Example 2:

You have invested in expertise, giving you 100% condition duration. Using the same skill in example 1, it will now last twice as long - which is 16 (8x2) seconds.

This means it will tick for 100 damage 16 times over it's duration. The skill will now do a total of (100×16) 1600 damage over its duration instead.

Notice how the 100 damage per tick never changed - this is what the condition damage stat changes - here only the duration changed, allowing the same skill to tick for more seconds and therefore rack more damage up over time - even though the damage per second never changed.

Well longer duration will give you more total damage since the condtion last longer.

Edit

rng.1024 gave you the answer

Example 1:

A condi that ticks for 8 seconds, doing a 100 damage each tick. This skill will do a total of (8x100) 800 damage over it's duration.

Example 2:

You have invested in expertise, giving you 100% condition duration. Using the same skill in example 1, it will now last twice as long - which is 16 (8x2) seconds.

This means it will tick for 100 damage 16 times over it's duration. The skill will now do a total of (100×16) 1600 damage over its duration instead.

Notice how the 100 damage per tick never changed - this is what the condition damage stat changes - here only the duration changed, allowing the same skill to tick for more seconds and therefore rack more damage up over time - even though the damage per second never changed.

> @"rng.1024" said:

> I have a feeling something got missed here..

>

> So you apply a condi with a skill that says it'll do 100 damage and the duration of said condi is 8 seconds.

>

> Time to clarify a few things:

> - The tooltips in the game listing damage for condis show how much **damage per tick** they do.

> - The stacks a skill gives is already accounted for in the tooltip, so a skill that gives 1 bleed will show 100 damage and a skill that gives 2 stacks will show it does 200 (100x2) damage.

>

> Now that that's out of the way, lets look at durations:

>

> Example 1:

> A condi that ticks for 8 seconds, doing a 100 damage each tick. This skill will do a total of (8x100) 800 damage over it's duration.

>

> Example 2:

> You have invested in expertise, giving you 100% condition duration. Using the same skill in example 1, it will now last twice as long - which is 16 (8x2) seconds.

> This means it will tick for 100 damage 16 times over it's duration. The skill will now do a total of (100×16) 1600 damage over its duration instead.

>

> Notice how the 100 damage per tick never changed - this is what the condition damage stat changes - here only the duration changed, allowing the same skill to tick for more seconds and therefore rack more damage up over time - even though the damage per second never changed.

Ok i just logged in to my necro (stats 1685 condidmg , 97,19% longer bleeding duration (not that it really matters)), i assume we understand the same thing if we talk about the tooltip, the description you see when you hover your mouse over one of your skills.

If i hover over the 1 Scepter Skill Blood Curse, it shows Damage 293 (direct) and **Bleeding (1Stack) 13 1/4 sec, 1639dmg**. How you describe it, this skill now should do 13,25 * 1639 dmg which would be 21716,75 dmg.

So i went to the cursed shore and hit a tar elemental one time with the first attack of the aa.

What it does (taken from the combat log): 13 ticks of 123 dmg (the 13 sec) and one tick of 39 dmg (the 1/4 sec), 13 * 123 + 39 = 1638. That's the number the tooltip shows aswell, so the tooltip, is stating the damage a condition will do in **total** over the given time and not per tick.

> @"Ronan.9518" said:

> > @"rng.1024" said:

> > I have a feeling something got missed here..

> >

> > So you apply a condi with a skill that says it'll do 100 damage and the duration of said condi is 8 seconds.

> >

> > Time to clarify a few things:

> > - The tooltips in the game listing damage for condis show how much **damage per tick** they do.

> > - The stacks a skill gives is already accounted for in the tooltip, so a skill that gives 1 bleed will show 100 damage and a skill that gives 2 stacks will show it does 200 (100x2) damage.

> >

> > Now that that's out of the way, lets look at durations:

> >

> > Example 1:

> > A condi that ticks for 8 seconds, doing a 100 damage each tick. This skill will do a total of (8x100) 800 damage over it's duration.

> >

> > Example 2:

> > You have invested in expertise, giving you 100% condition duration. Using the same skill in example 1, it will now last twice as long - which is 16 (8x2) seconds.

> > This means it will tick for 100 damage 16 times over it's duration. The skill will now do a total of (100×16) 1600 damage over its duration instead.

> >

> > Notice how the 100 damage per tick never changed - this is what the condition damage stat changes - here only the duration changed, allowing the same skill to tick for more seconds and therefore rack more damage up over time - even though the damage per second never changed.

>

> Ok i just logged in to my necro (stats 1685 condidmg , 97,19% longer bleeding duration (not that it really matters)), i assume we understand the same thing if we talk about the tooltip, the description you see when you hover your mouse over one of your skills.

> If i hover over the 1 Scepter Skill Blood Curse, it shows Damage 293 (direct) and **Bleeding (1Stack) 13 1/4 sec, 1639dmg**. How you describe it, this skill now should do 13,25 * 1639 dmg which would be 21716,75 dmg.

> So i went to the cursed shore and hit a tar elemental one time with the first attack of the aa.

> What it does (taken from the combat log): 13 ticks of 123 dmg (the 13 sec) and one tick of 39 dmg (the 1/4 sec), 13 * 123 + 39 = 1638. That's the number the tooltip shows aswell, so the tooltip, is stating the damage a condition will do in **total** over the given time and not per tick.

You are correct, you need to divide the tooltip damage with the duration, which is also already accounted for in the value shown. Should have added this after the stacks comment, my apologies ^^

Why complicate things?

Tooltip is simplified. It gives you the total damage an ability does.

If it says "X damage over Y seconds" it has an internal "tick" obviously but all you need to do -to answer OP- is add your condi duration.

If you have 50% condi duration tooltip will now read "1.5*X over 1.5Y seconds."

If you have 100% condi duration tooltip will no read "2*X over 2*Y seconds."

Condi damage, on the other hand, does nothing to the duration but increases tooltip anyway so it is more damage/unit time by itself.

Cheers!

Are all condition damage sources linearly scaled? If so, that would mean that if you had 20% more condition damage or 20% more condition time the resulting damage would equal the same. However, in general if you had to choose one or the other you could go with more condition damage because you'd rather kill stuff faster than wait longer. Plus, its possible you might burst something down making the duration worthless in a way.

Unless there is some combination where other effects are dependent upon another condition/boon being applied. In general, it sounds like you would rather stack condition damage when given an equal choice between it and time duration.

The only thing here that requires more depth of thought is that the condi duration is easier to get via runes and such and caps at 100%.

So, what you want to do for encounters where your ramp up as a condi dps is acceptable (i.e. longer encounters meant for a group), you look for ways to maximise condi damage while getting the duration as close to 100% as possible.

Cheers!

> @"Veluna.7316" said:

> Are all condition damage sources linearly scaled? If so, that would mean that if you had 20% more condition damage or 20% more condition time the resulting damage would equal the same. However, in general if you had to choose one or the other you could go with more condition damage because you'd rather kill stuff faster than wait longer. Plus, its possible you might burst something down making the duration worthless in a way.

>

> Unless there is some combination where other effects are dependent upon another condition/boon being applied. In general, it sounds like you would rather stack condition damage when given an equal choice between it and time duration.

They are not, condition duration gives more total damage per stat point compared to condition damage just that duration is capped at 100%.

> @"Veluna.7316" said:

> Are all condition damage sources linearly scaled? If so, that would mean that if you had 20% more condition damage or 20% more condition time the resulting damage would equal the same. However, in general if you had to choose one or the other you could go with more condition damage because you'd rather kill stuff faster than wait longer. Plus, its possible you might burst something down making the duration worthless in a way.

>

> Unless there is some combination where other effects are dependent upon another condition/boon being applied. In general, it sounds like you would rather stack condition damage when given an equal choice between it and time duration.

To tired to do the math right now, but 15 expertise = 1% condiduration and for conditiondmg https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition_Damage.

And for fights where you don't expect to be a ramp up time, you probably would use a power build anyway (if you want to be effective). (If we're talking about PvE, no idea if the same applies in PvP)