Do you like the flashy effects?

Sylent.3165

So myself and many others agree the flash in this game does look cool, truth however is it's an mmo so you have to see everyone else's extremely flashy armor and skill affects in fights and meta events often times making events 100% impossible to see enemies attacks or see the enemy at all which gets frustrating. Of course an option to turn off others affects isn't in the picture as anet has not yet added it at this point, so I don't see it in the future.

So with overall how things are do you think the future flashing affects need toned down or are you happy how they are now?

I like seeing my flash, but not others'. I don't mind it until I encounter big open world events or zergs in WvW where it's Scourge, Firebrand, and WoD spam everywhere. I often think in horror of how it must look from an outside perspective of someone who has never played the game. Wouldn't exactly make me want to try it out.

On the other hand, disappearing effects can put you at a severe disadvantage. It's not fun to shoot a beefed up Rapid Fire into an invisible reflect wall. Visual cues are incredibly important, but they could absolutely be toned down.

For me, there are by far too many and I would really love to have the possibility to turn them off (or at least tune them down). I can give two examples that are - for me personally - the most annoying ones:

- The flashing at skill bar and at attributes as long as they are empty (nothing selected)..... :s I am now used to hurry clicking whatever just to make it stop. First once it is turned off, I start working out what I really want to set up. For this specific case, I believe there would be different solutions? For example, a red/green tick system in the upper left corner of each square like already existing for squad readiness check. The tick would be green once a skill/attribute is selected, and once all of them are green, then the ticks disappear.

- The gathering tools with a fire effect... Especially the one with the twister. So of course, yes, it is a nice effect but this is so blinding! And if there is more than just one player using it at a farming spot... Again.... :s I am now used to simply go a bit aside and wait that they are over before to go again gather myself. For that one, I do not know what would be the solution.

Side note: I took care of the error of the wording in the poll. My vote reflects my opinion: Turn them down. That of course until Anet finds a solution allowing to chose if we see them or not.

Most (if not all) MMOs besides GW2 have an option to turn off other players' skill effects. This option should exist.

For infusion auras/effects, I think there should be some kind of limitation, maybe something like Novelties (only allow up to 4 effects) because it's ridiculous when a person stacks 6+ effects and runs around in Mistlock Sanctuary just to annoy other players. Sometimes it downright hurts my eyes. Same thing with spamming Tomes right next to the bank, the flashing light and the sound effect should be removed.

> @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> For me, there are by far too many and I would really love to have the possibility to turn them off (or at least tune them down). I can give two examples that are - for me personally - the most annoying ones:

> - The flashing at skill bar and at attributes as long as they are empty (nothing selected)..... :s I am now used to hurry clicking whatever just to make it stop. First once it is turned off, I start working out what I really want to set up. For this specific case, I believe there would be different solutions? For example, a red/green tick system in the upper left corner of each square like already existing for squad readiness check. The tick would be green once a skill/attribute is selected, and once all of them are green, then the ticks disappear.

> - The gathering tools with a fire effect... Especially the one with the twister. So of course, yes, it is a nice effect but this is so blinding! And if there is more than just one player using it at a farming spot... Again.... :s I am now used to simply go a bit aside and wait that they are over before to go again gather myself. For that one, I do not know what would be the solution.

>

> Side note: I took care of the error of the wording in the poll. My vote reflects my opinion: Turn them down. That of course until Anet finds a solution allowing to chose if we see them or not.

For me, it still says "Do you like flashy effects?"

Yes (I like flashy effects)...turn them down

No (I don't like flashy effects)...keep making them

It makes little sense, I'm sorry.

OP, if this is in response to the discussion going on in the other post, I think you’re misunderstanding the discussion going on in the other topic. When we discuss the flashy effects in that topic, we’re not talking about “fancy” effects. We’re talking about the instant change in brightness from dark to bright, like a camera flash.

Do I like fancy, beautiful, creative, and artistic visual effects?

Absolutely. I’m a graphics whore. Though I wouldn’t mind having the option to tone down fancy effects to prevent visual clutter when in a group event.

Do I like unhealthy bright instant camera flashes?

No way! Camera flashes have nothing to do with beautiful visual effects and a different topic than visual clutter. This is a health issue.

If this is not in response to that other thread, please ignore.

Assuming you mean everything which could be included as "flashy" - skill effects, environmental effects, enemy attacks, infusions, skills with big visuals like meteor storm etc. my answer is "it depends".

It depends on which ones they are - I don't mind meteor storm but I can't stand that effect some awakened do where the whole screen goes white for example. I don't mind individual skills but all together it can get a bit much, I don't mind people using infusions if they look good to me but when they're just stacking as much blinding/animated stuff as they can get it looks like an absurd mess.

Overall it rarely bothers me enough to actually think about - the only ones that I'd really like to disable are the flash skill Awakened use and the flash when you collect Volatile Magic. But if I had to hide everything bright or animated to stop seeing those two then I'd rather put up with them. Which is the other problem with asking for an option to disable it - unless Anet add options for each individual effect it's always going to be too much for some people and not enough for others.

As I said in the previous post, this is my main issue with the game and the reason I no longer play. Getting one shotted because you can’t see the tell through the noise has been an issue with this game since day 1. Anet promised a fix and never delivered an adequate one. At this point, I don’t think they can. They need to talk to the ESO devs. They’ve done it right.

I don't mind (much) visual effects on skills (apart from the Firebrand's ones, that make me sick), just because they can be useful to understand if someone has just used some useful skill (boon or protection fields for example) but visual effect of armor and especially legendary weapons (greatsword in primis) really bother me. A swing of a legendary weapon can cover a lot of things, other than just distract from the fight.

TL;DR Keep the effects on the skills (maybe toning them down a bit in some case, like firebrand) but give us the option to remove the effects on other players' gear.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> > For me, there are by far too many and I would really love to have the possibility to turn them off (or at least tune them down). I can give two examples that are - for me personally - the most annoying ones:

> > - The flashing at skill bar and at attributes as long as they are empty (nothing selected)..... :s I am now used to hurry clicking whatever just to make it stop. First once it is turned off, I start working out what I really want to set up. For this specific case, I believe there would be different solutions? For example, a red/green tick system in the upper left corner of each square like already existing for squad readiness check. The tick would be green once a skill/attribute is selected, and once all of them are green, then the ticks disappear.

> > - The gathering tools with a fire effect... Especially the one with the twister. So of course, yes, it is a nice effect but this is so blinding! And if there is more than just one player using it at a farming spot... Again.... :s I am now used to simply go a bit aside and wait that they are over before to go again gather myself. For that one, I do not know what would be the solution.

> >

> > Side note: I took care of the error of the wording in the poll. My vote reflects my opinion: Turn them down. That of course until Anet finds a solution allowing to chose if we see them or not.

>

> For me, it still says "Do you like flashy effects?"

> Yes (I like flashy effects)...turn them down

> No (I don't like flashy effects)...keep making them

>

> It makes little sense, I'm sorry.

Good point! LOL! At first I thought I have chosen right option by focusing on the biggest part of the sentence (ignoring the yes and no). Anyhow, no big impact in my case because in all case, I have voted wrong. For me the 4th choice is the one and I was too fast at clicking else. My bad. :3

> @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> I forever lament that I can barely see my own character in most of the game. It's really hard when playing a class that is reliant on the auto attack, because I can't see when the chain completes.

But you can see your own skill bar and it's more of a timing than visual thing anyway?

> @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> > > For me, there are by far too many and I would really love to have the possibility to turn them off (or at least tune them down). I can give two examples that are - for me personally - the most annoying ones:

> > > - The flashing at skill bar and at attributes as long as they are empty (nothing selected)..... :s I am now used to hurry clicking whatever just to make it stop. First once it is turned off, I start working out what I really want to set up. For this specific case, I believe there would be different solutions? For example, a red/green tick system in the upper left corner of each square like already existing for squad readiness check. The tick would be green once a skill/attribute is selected, and once all of them are green, then the ticks disappear.

> > > - The gathering tools with a fire effect... Especially the one with the twister. So of course, yes, it is a nice effect but this is so blinding! And if there is more than just one player using it at a farming spot... Again.... :s I am now used to simply go a bit aside and wait that they are over before to go again gather myself. For that one, I do not know what would be the solution.

> > >

> > > Side note: I took care of the error of the wording in the poll. My vote reflects my opinion: Turn them down. That of course until Anet finds a solution allowing to chose if we see them or not.

> >

> > For me, it still says "Do you like flashy effects?"

> > Yes (I like flashy effects)...turn them down

> > No (I don't like flashy effects)...keep making them

> >

> > It makes little sense, I'm sorry.

>

> Good point! LOL! At first I thought I have chosen right option by focusing on the biggest part of the sentence (ignoring the yes and no). Anyhow, no big impact in my case because in all case, I have voted wrong. For me the 4th choice is the one and I was too fast at clicking else. My bad. :3

My bad, as well. I was thinking (from your post) that you were the OP, and tried to change the poll. :tongue:

> @"Biff.5312" said:

> What I've noticed is that now that everyone is a walking Las Vegas strip, my ui seems to compensate by eliminating objects from view unless they are very near at hand. The result is that when in a group for an event, I often cannot even see the mobs we are killing.

Just an observations. From your answer I think maybe you didn't read question and answer through. As many have stated, OP made a confusion with question and answer that don't really match - Do you like X? No. Keep doing X.

I didn’t vote because not only are the questions badly worded but the topic is too general.

I like most individual armor flashiness well enough but some infusions can be overwhelming, especially if they’re stacked.

I find the flashiness from skills to be ok individually or small groups but detrimental to gameplay in larger groups as you can no longer see the boss and what’s its doing as well as no longer getting useful information about possible combo fields.

I personally don't give a squirt about folks having their glows. If people want to walk around looking like they rolled around in a Christmas decoration warehouse. More power to them. I have long given up the idea of "immersion". However, my issue comes from having to look at them. I already have a pet peeve about bad fashion, but people who choose bad fashion just to be obnoxiously bright? Next level. People who have extremely conflicting glows on top of glows? go unplug yourself.

While I am thankful for the option to limit players you can see. It limits everyone, not just those offending folks. And every so often, one of them slips through that limit. And in a sea of nothing but base character models, they stand out like a pulsing eyesore. So let them have their glows, and let me have the ability to effect block the shit out of em.