The Tempest's New Clothes - (Lots of Pics!)

Hamfast.8719

It’s true. My main character runs around Tyria with **15 full sets of mixed ‘n’ matched armor** her inventory. Each set has it's own associated weapon and mini pet as well. (That's 105 slots, in case you’re wondering). I like my character to look "just right" for every situation and in every environment. (It annoys me, for some reason, to see half-nekkid characters running around in the northern Shiverpeaks unless they're in the Coney Island Polar Bear Club). Each of my character's looks also has an associated hairstyle as well, since I’m one of the lucky few to possess a Permanent Self-Style Hair Kit. So while I may not be among the elite Guild Wars 2 players, I like to think that I fare pretty well in Fashion Wars 2.

My other passion is making screen captures. I usually like doing an emote in order to strike unique poses, but that tends to remove my weapon from my hand. I wanted to show you my complete armor sets _with_ the weapon, so most of these look like my character is just standing there posing for a book cover or something. Sorry ‘bout that.

You will notice that my tastes tend toward “realism" in my fantasy, so I don't have much in the way of items with particle effects. (I'd rather see my armor than a bunch of clouds and sparkles and swooshes). I don’t much care for oversized weapons or armor pieces either.

I included a list of the skins I'm using, since I know that some of you will be curious. I hope you like these, and I hope they inspire you to play a little Fashion Wars yourself, instead of always using ho-hum Outfits. All of my pictures measure 3840 x 2160 pixels... feel free to download and use them on your desktop or in a slideshow screen saver if you like. Now without any further ado, here they are in alphabetical order:

**ARCTIC TRAVELER**

I use this look in Norn territories and any other cold, snowy climates. I don’t like the way the game chops off all my hair when I wear a hat, so it’s not shown here. But if the snow starts falling hard, I’ll put it on. No sense in catching a cold just because I want to look good.

![](https://i.imgur.com/0sRpP9L.jpg "")

HEAD: Cabalist Hood / SHOULDERS: Cabalist Shoulders / CHEST: Cabalist Coat / HANDS: Vigil’s Honor Gloves / LEGS: Dry Bones Leggings / FEET: Acolyte Boots / WEAPON: Wintersday Staff / MINI PET: Mini Jack-a-lop (game error… it should be spelled “Jackalope").

**BATTLE MAGE**

I use my “Battle Mage” look in the Charr territories (Ascalon), and other rugged lands.

![](https://i.imgur.com/nXki6UQ.jpg "")

HEAD: Luminous Light Crown / SHOULDERS: Diviner Mantle / CHEST: Acolyte Coat / HANDS: Funerary Gloves / LEGS: Illustrious Breeches / FEET: Profane Shoes / WEAPON: Merciless Staff / MINI PET: Mini Jaguar Cub (is that in bad taste for Charr lands?)

**COUNTRYSIDE WANDERER**

The Countryside Wanderer gear is mostly for the centaur-threatened Krytan lands.

![](https://i.imgur.com/lP3Vgs5.jpg "")

HEAD: Stone Eye / SHOULDERS: Devout Mantle / CHEST: Student Coat / HANDS: Shackles of Madness / LEGS: Country Pants / FEET: Vigil’s Honor Footwear / WEAPON: Soft Wood Staff / MINI PET: Mini Puppy

**DESERT FLOWER**

I use the Desert Flower look in most of the Path of Fire maps. It also works well in Southsun Cove.

![](https://i.imgur.com/Qd3uQ9X.jpg "")

HEAD: Storm Eye / SHOULDERS: Apprentice Shoulders / CHEST: Elonian Vestments / HANDS: Embroidered Wristguards / LEGS: Whisper's Secret Leggings / FEET: Sorcerer's Shoes / WEAPON: The Legend / MINI PET: Mini Lion Cub

**LITTLE PIXIE**

The Little Pixie look includes a pixie hairstyle (naturally) and the use of an Endless Miniature Tonic. It is primarily for Sylvari lands, and any other “fantasy forest" settings.

![](https://i.imgur.com/B2BS864.jpg "")

HEAD: Feathered Headpiece / SHOULDERS: Exalted Mantle / CHEST: Phoenix Vest / HANDS: Feathered Gloves / LEGS: Apprentice Pants / FEET: Lunatic Acolyte Boots / BACK: Glittering Wings Backpack / WEAPON: Verdant Staff / MINI PET: Mini Sylvan Pup

**NATURE’S CHILD**

I was shooting for a “Mother Nature" or 1960's "flower child" look for the Heart of Thorns maps.

![](https://i.imgur.com/SxqoT4a.jpg "")

HEAD: Wreath of Cooperation / SHOULDERS: Apprentice Shoulders / CHEST: Diviner Coat / HANDS: Feathered Gloves / LEGS: Whisper's Secret Leggings / FEET: Sorcerer's Shoes / WEAPON: Gnarled Walking Staff / MINI PET: Mini Fawn

**ROYAL RESIDENT**

I don’t have a regular use for this one. Just for the occasional times when the story calls for me to meet with Queen Jennah. (I typically show her up, since I can afford shoes). I will also use it whenever I want to whip out my Emblazoned Dragon Throne and look the part.

![](https://i.imgur.com/QKE7TSA.jpg "")

HEAD: Shattered Bloodstone Circlet / SHOULDERS: Council Ministry Mantle / CHEST: Council Ministry Vestments / HANDS: Feathered Gloves / LEGS: Conjurer Pants / FEET: Aurora Shoes / WEAPON: Dwayna’s Staff / MINI PET: Mini Aurene

**TAVERN TIME**

For RP times, as good as any of the old Town Clothes. (Far BETTER than the un-customizable Outfits that they made out of the old Town Clothes). A great look for Octoberfest (or maybe a visit to the Charr "Meatoberfest" celebration!). No weapon... this is down-time wear. Mini Puppy or Mini Orange Tabby Cat if desired.

![](https://i.imgur.com/Fz2GcVo.jpg "")

HEAD: Stone Eye / SHOULDERS: Heritage Mantle / CHEST: Lunatic Acolyte Coat / HANDS: Feathered Gloves / LEGS: Apostle Leggings / FEET: Aristocrat’s Shoes

**THE COCKTAIL PARTY**

For those “social gathering" storylines (where I rub shoulders with the city council, dignitaries, etc.) as well as RP parties. (The bunny ears come out on Easter and New Year’s Eve). No weapon (but have something handy in case the storyline introduces party crashers). No mini pet.

![](https://i.imgur.com/oIE2q33.jpg "")

HEAD: Bunny Ears / SHOULDERS: Exalted Mantle / CHEST: Phoenix Vest / HANDS: Feathered Gloves / LEGS: Magician Legs / FEET: Exalted Boots

**THE GENIE**

An “I Dream of Jeannie” CosPlay for the Maguuma Wastes, areas with dust storms, and the more "upscale", highly civilized regions of the desert (such as Vabbi). Note both the traditional Aladdin Lamp and the “I Dream of Jeannie" bottle in the picture!

![](https://i.imgur.com/GsTO5u4.jpg "")

HEAD: Adventurer’s Scarf / SHOULDERS: Apprentice Shoulders / CHEST: Winged Tunic / HANDS: Embroidered Wristguards / LEGS: Embroidered Pants / FEET: Embroidered Sandals / WEAPON: Lionguard Staff / MINI PET: Mini Lion Cub

**THE SAILOR**

For the “Pirate” zones of Kryta, including Lion’s Arch.

![](https://i.imgur.com/otmaM23.jpg "")

HEAD: Glacial Eye / SHOULDERS: Acolyte Mantle / CHEST: Country Coat / HANDS: Sorcerer’s Livery / LEGS: Apprentice Pants / FEET: Apprentice Shoes / WEAPON: Monsoon / MINI PET: Mini Orange Tabby Cat

**THE SCHOLAR**

Reserved for Asura zones and the Durmand Priory (where I am one of their head people. Get it? HEAD people? Scholars? ...Never mind).

![](https://i.imgur.com/f8tx7gu.jpg "")

HEAD: Reading Glasses / SHOULDERS: Council Ministry Mantle / CHEST: Priory's Historical Vestments / HANDS: Sorcerer's Livery / LEGS: Priory's Historical Pants / FEET: Conjurer Shoes / WEAPON: Bo / MINI PET: Mini Snow Owl

**THE TEMPEST**

My prime Tempest look – used at World Boss events and anyplace I want to project the aura of a powerful wizard. (Like here at the heart of the volcano).

![](https://i.imgur.com/6nb9HMS.jpg "")

HEAD: Flame Eye / SHOULDERS: Apprentice Shoulders / CHEST: Incarnate Vest / HANDS: Feathered Gloves / LEGS: Sorcerer’s Pants / FEET: Incarnate Shoes / WEAPON: Tempest Staff / MINI PET: Mini Aurene

The human light-armored female definitely has an advantage as far as range of available armor pieces. But don’t be discouraged if you play something else! ALL of my characters, even the least-played, have AT LEAST two full sets of armor (one for warmer weather, and one for cold).

I’d love to see what looks YOU have come up with for your race, sex, and armor weight! Let's see some screen shots of your character in settings wearing scene-appropriate gear!

@"Hamfast.8719": You really have excellent taste in fashion. :+1: I might not like all set pieces skin-wise, but most look good (if not great), and the combination of colors is also a perfect fit in most cases.

P.S. I would never go through the trouble of re-equipping my characters (and even change their haircuts) with each new region. Unless ANet introduces the means to save such "sets".

A true testament to the diversity GW2 has to offer, well done! While I'm not nearly patient enough to changing my look to my environment, I can appreciate the time and artistry that went in to each of these looks, and without relying on gaudy auras and legendary effects even!

> @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> BTW, which blue dye are you using in the first shot, the Arctic Traveler? It's gorgeous.

That blue is (mostly) nice, easy-to-acquire BREEZE. The boots are RIVER (because Breeze looked too light there). The hood (unshown) uses both. (Colors can appear different at different times of day and in different settings. This happens to be NIGHT in the Snowden Drifts).

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> P.S. I would never go through the trouble of re-equipping my characters (and even change their haircuts) with each new region. Unless ANet introduces the means to save such "sets".

I have it down to a science by now. I usually switch armor before I enter the new region. It only takes a couple of seconds for that part. If you switch mini pets and hairstyles then it takes a little longer. I would dearly love a way to save my armor sets too. Imagine how long I could go without a merchant if I had all this Inventory space back!

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> I applaud your dedication, although none of them looks particularly interesting to me. (I suppose the human girl is just boring for my taste).

Eye of the beholder. No worries. Different people have different likes and dislikes. I personally don't care much for artificial "flash", oversized weapons and armor, etc. Or ANet's tendency (since GW1) to pigeonhole the various classes with certain style cues (I'm looking at _you_, trench coats and butt capes!). But it's obvious from all the "Las Vegas light show" special effects, and the many sets of grossly oversized weapon and armor sets in the game, that many people DO like these things. To each his own. And like yourself, it might be a matter of the sex/race more than the armor. In truth, I tend towards non-humans in most RPGs myself.

Actually, in a way I _appreciate_ that my look can seem humdrum to some people. They are not full "stock" armor sets, but mix 'n' match creations of my own from the pieces and parts of many _different_ sets. So I must have done a good job of finding pieces that looked natural together (which was a goal of mine).

It's posts like these that need to be more frequent to discourage the level of meme tier "fashion" rampant throughout the game. Yes, that's directed at any of you Ad Infinitum, Bunny Ear-wearing, Winter's Presence and Shoulder Scarf with Viper's Skirt and sandals bimbos out there! Tack on a Ghostly Infusion for extra ~~shame~~ credit.

And while their female human meta anime faces may look adorably atrocious, the contrarian in me must give them credit in that they're grasping the concept behind Fashion Wars--to stand out. Usually, you want to also look good while standing out. From my very... unimportant opinion... it appears that you have the first part down in spades. Looking good. Permanent Self-Style Hair Kit and all dyes unlocked are definitely prerequisites to the good fight, but many of these combinations seem to be an attempt at trying to remain mundane, something which NPCs will always beat us at hands down. Sure, not everything must be flash (I've seen the results of "too much flash" causing people to wipe in Fractals because no one could see the mechanics), but The Great Dragon Slayer # 418752489074901252 is looking so wholly uninspired for the majority of those combinations. At least Joko can't go, "And what are you wearing!" with any sort of accuracy. :)

I also used to feel that outfits were an automatic disqualification from the war. For the most part, I still feel that way, but every now and then, someone makes an outfit look good, and I can't hate. ... Yes, once in a blue moon.

Anywho! We all must brag a little when it comes to that which we're proud of. I imagine most don't have the same sort of singular character OCD to create that many looks, though I can't bash that kind of inclination in the slightest considering my own twenty-two characters each having at least one distinct look (and in full pink at that due to an addiction to stat min-maxing on various builds). Nonetheless, keep up your fun! I'm just stating that what's being shown differs from what people think of when Fashion Wars comes to mind.

Or maybe I missed the point entirely. Cheers regardless. Just please don't take any of this the wrong way.

> @"Hamfast.8719" said:

>

> You will notice that my tastes tend toward “realism" in my fantasy, so I don't have much in the way of items with particle effects. (I'd rather see my armor than a bunch of clouds and sparkles and swooshes). I don’t much care for oversized weapons or armor pieces either.

>

I'm the same way