Revert Lead Attacks Changes

Vallun.2071

> @"Impact.2780" said:

> > @"Airdive.2613" said:

> > > @"Impact.2780" said:

> > > Additionally reducing the duration of the buffs from 15s to 10s , however, makes no sense, when the cap is at 15. 10 seconds makes 10 initiative, and you'll be starting with less than full having just used it to get from A to B. You'll arrive with little initiative, no buffs, and never fully utilise the trait. It is essentially a 5% damage nerf on top.

> >

> > I mean, I understand the nerf is harsh, but you can still stack up to 15 at the beginning of a fight: spend your starting 5+ initiative (it's silly to engage with less anyway), regenerate then spend some more within 10 seconds. It is now certainly harder to stay at 15 stacks in prolonged fights.

>

> Spend 5. Get 5 stacks for 10 seconds.

>

> Gain 10 initiative over 10 seconds. By which time, original 5 gone, new 10 gained. 5-5+10=10.

More like this:

5+10 = 15 / for a couple seconds

15-5 = 10 / a few seconds later

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Airdive.2613" said:

> > @"Impact.2780" said:

> > > @"Airdive.2613" said:

> > > > @"Impact.2780" said:

> > > > Additionally reducing the duration of the buffs from 15s to 10s , however, makes no sense, when the cap is at 15. 10 seconds makes 10 initiative, and you'll be starting with less than full having just used it to get from A to B. You'll arrive with little initiative, no buffs, and never fully utilise the trait. It is essentially a 5% damage nerf on top.

> > >

> > > I mean, I understand the nerf is harsh, but you can still stack up to 15 at the beginning of a fight: spend your starting 5+ initiative (it's silly to engage with less anyway), regenerate then spend some more within 10 seconds. It is now certainly harder to stay at 15 stacks in prolonged fights.

> >

> > Spend 5. Get 5 stacks for 10 seconds.

> >

> > Gain 10 initiative over 10 seconds. By which time, original 5 gone, new 10 gained. 5-5+10=10.

>

> More like this:

> 5+10 = 15 / for a couple seconds

> 15-5 = 10 / a few seconds later

You clearly don't understand the concept of initiative regeneration. It's one per second. By the time you have an additional 10 to spend, that's 10 seconds gone. Any stacks you accumulated prior, are gone. If you use them continuously, i.e. no disengage, no waiting out a skill etc. you can reach a maximum of 14. On the 10th second, you will simultaneously lose 5 stacks and gain 1 initiative. In practice, you won't reach 14. You must always have some in the bank for your escape. The fact that you are arguing this detracts all the weight any of your comments here might otherwise have. It's ridiculous. What is wrong with you? Why did I come back to the forums? Please, please think before you post. Just try it. I'm not going to reply any more this point. I have no desire to see this derailed.

After playing around with different builds i can say with confidence that thief now has only 2 viable builds for spvp (by this i mean builds that can function well in platinum rank). core s/d with deadly arts, acrobatics, trickery and deadeye with rifle d/p with critical strikes and any other non acrobatics line as the 3rd option.

Everything else ether lacks damage or lacks utility to be useful in any meaningful way (the old daredevil d/p has literally no sustained damage after the initial steal stealth burst).

Seriously what is the point of the thief now? if you want to decap you will have low damage upon re-engaging a fight because someone somewhere thought it was a good idea for the mobile squishy class to lose damage for utilizing its mobility, making said mobility pointless when compared to the alternatives.

Why should anyone role a thief to decap and +1 opportune fights when a spell breaker using sword/shield greatsword can do the same, albeit slightly slower, but not sacrifice any damage while doing so all the while having more staying power while fighting? Or when a jaunting sword mirage can do the same while having more utility, or a soul beast who can be a brick wall and never die if he wants to, or hell just role an engineer and slap on rocket boots and you can do the stupid decap role well enough while actually having something to offer other than a burst of damage once every 20 sec.

TLDR: this made up 'decaping' role is warping the balancing of thief to the point where all the class can do is run away and occasionally help kill a player who is already dying. Meanwhile other classes are getting more mobility, slowly making the speed of thief null and void.

> @"Kuya.6495" said:

> I have to admit, this is pretty lol that the OP's main got nerfed after making a balance suggestion thread.

i asked for my main to be nerfed, i just asked for it to be nerfed in an intelligent way. the nerfs arent the problem the playstyle change is... it makes very trash thieves not punished and good thieves punished

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > lol. this change was good. stacking dmg modifiers outside of combat is dumb, it encourages one shot builds.

> >

> > Did they make the same change to Maul?

>

> do ranger one shots have anything to do with teef one shots?

can you tell me when was the last time a thief one shot you?

We are talking about PvP not WvW and we're talking about THIEF no Deadeye.

Now seriouly, have they ever stepped back from anything from balance updates?

Pretty sure they won't be reverting this change, it'll be like this for the next 3 months prolly, then they'll try to make up for it buffing another things that still won't work well, or will be super op and nerfed to the ground next day.

> > > lol. this change was good. stacking dmg modifiers outside of combat is dumb, it encourages one shot builds.

> >

> > Did they make the same change to Maul?

>

> do ranger one shots have anything to do with teef one shots?

You said one shot builds... I played 2 versions of ranger that relies on spamming maul out of combat for that extra 50% damage, not 15% that lead would provide with several skills stacking it but a whole 50% from using 1 skill...

When you made your comment, did you conveniently ignore Ranger? Or just not think about it?

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > lol. this change was good. stacking dmg modifiers outside of combat is dumb, it encourages one shot builds.

> > >

> > > Did they make the same change to Maul?

> >

> > do ranger one shots have anything to do with teef one shots?

>

> You said one shot builds... I played 2 versions of ranger that relies on spamming maul out of combat for that extra 50% damage, not 15% that lead would provide with several skills stacking it but a whole 50% from using 1 skill...

>

> When you made your comment, did you conveniently ignore Ranger? Or just not think about it?

I didn't know about it. you should make a post about it sounds lame.

> @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > > > lol. this change was good. stacking dmg modifiers outside of combat is dumb, it encourages one shot builds.

> > >

> >

>

> can you tell me when was the last time a thief one shot you?

> We are talking about PvP not WvW and we're talking about THIEF no Deadeye.

Two days ago. 19k vault.

> @"Babylonn.5027" said:

> > @"Vallun.2071" said:

> > Changes read:

> >

> > Additionally, we've toned down the initial burst of damage that the thief can apply by removing the ability to stack Lead Attacks when outside of combat. Lead Attacks: The duration of this trait's Lead Attacks stacking effect has been reduced from 15 seconds to 10 seconds. It now requires the player to be in combat in order to generate the stacking damage effect. Initiative skills that cause the player to enter combat will generate stacks of this trait.

> > ______________

> >

> > Why would we want to reduce the initial burst of damage thieves do when that is their job? They already have low enough sustained damage and survivability. This change is actually so bad not only because its a pointless nerf, but it also promotes terrible gameplay. If I'm a thief in PvP (where I assume these changes are intended) I'm rotating between nodes using my initiative to close the gap. If I'm gaining no lead attacks during that time it diminishes the advantage of having speed. It is basically almost saying that I shouldn't use initiative until I get in combat.

> >

> > So basically if I want to play rotationally I'll want to either steal instantly or be very predictable. Get in combat to stack my buff or begin fights very disadvantageously just to start gathering a buff. Either that or I play intelligently and suffer getting a huge damage nerf. This promotes Sword Dagger gameplay even more which is already the best thief build in the meta, and absolutely dumpsters dagger pistol gameplay which is more front loaded and required much more skill. Not only that but the reduced duration also makes it ramp down faster so you have to stay IN COMBAT longer, which thieves simply cant do because they lack survivability and sustain. So instead of the skillful in and out combat they are forced to stay in fights longer, but there have been no changes to help their ability to do that. ?????????

> >

> > My suggestion is revert this change, or even reduce the duration of the buff but allow it to be stacked out of combat. I'd rather not be stuck on an even more braindead version of the sd build for another several months.

>

> That's what you deserved for saying "make chaos traitline unplayable in pvp"

Oh this made my night XD

> @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> can you tell me when was the last time a thief one shot you?

> We are talking about PvP not WvW and we're talking about THIEF no Deadeye.

true i was thinking about wvw, but this trait would be too weird to split between wvw and pvp so if both then w/e idc. its not that big of a deal lol other things got hit way harder.

> @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > > lol. this change was good. stacking dmg modifiers outside of combat is dumb, it encourages one shot builds.

> > > >

> > > > Did they make the same change to Maul?

> > >

> > > do ranger one shots have anything to do with teef one shots?

> >

> > can you tell me when was the last time a thief one shot you?

> > We are talking about PvP not WvW and we're talking about THIEF no Deadeye.

>

> Two days ago. 19k vault.

>

19k Vault in PvP? Were you below 50% hp? Because otherwise, thats just not even possible (the multiplier on vault isnt nearly high enough to get to 19k without a lot of <50% damage boosts). And if you were, thats not a oneshot.

> @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > > @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > > > lol. this change was good. stacking dmg modifiers outside of combat is dumb, it encourages one shot builds.

> > > > >

> > > > > Did they make the same change to Maul?

> > > >

> > > > do ranger one shots have anything to do with teef one shots?

> > >

> > > can you tell me when was the last time a thief one shot you?

> > > We are talking about PvP not WvW and we're talking about THIEF no Deadeye.

> >

> > Two days ago. 19k vault.

> >

>

> 19k Vault in PvP? Were you below 50% hp? Because otherwise, thats just not even possible (the multiplier on vault isnt nearly high enough to get to 19k without a lot of <50% damage boosts). And if you were, thats not a oneshot.

I find it funny that he was even hit by a Vault since it’s a very obvious animation, slow moving and all.(inb4 it game from Shadowstep (since that got nerfed as well)or other excuse).

> @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > > > > lol. this change was good. stacking dmg modifiers outside of combat is dumb, it encourages one shot builds.

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > can you tell me when was the last time a thief one shot you?

> > We are talking about PvP not WvW and we're talking about THIEF no Deadeye.

>

> Two days ago. 19k vault.

>

we are close to 2019 and people still getting one shot by the most telegraphed skill in the game?

anyways 19k is not possible unless the thief is running critical strikes deadly arts daredevil with zerk amulet AND you have to be below 50%, it is still hard to achieve that damage in a normal ranked game.

There's no reason to approve this change unless you hate thief which seems to be the perfect excuse to say " yeah mang it's a good nerf cuz thief can one shot from stealth duuuhh"

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > You said one shot builds... I played 2 versions of ranger that relies on spamming maul out of combat for that extra 50% damage, not 15% that lead would provide with several skills stacking it but a whole 50% from using 1 skill...

> >

> > When you made your comment, did you conveniently ignore Ranger? Or just not think about it?

>

> I didn't know about it. you should make a post about it sounds lame.

No need... If you didn't know about it thats cool but yea maul can be spammed out of combat for the damage bonus, extra 35% in comparison to Lead trait that requires you to use up initiative and several skills.

> @"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:

> > @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > > @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > > > @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > > > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > > > > lol. this change was good. stacking dmg modifiers outside of combat is dumb, it encourages one shot builds.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Did they make the same change to Maul?

> > > > >

> > > > > do ranger one shots have anything to do with teef one shots?

> > > >

> > > > can you tell me when was the last time a thief one shot you?

> > > > We are talking about PvP not WvW and we're talking about THIEF no Deadeye.

> > >

> > > Two days ago. 19k vault.

> > >

> >

> > 19k Vault in PvP? Were you below 50% hp? Because otherwise, thats just not even possible (the multiplier on vault isnt nearly high enough to get to 19k without a lot of <50% damage boosts). And if you were, thats not a oneshot.

>

> I find it funny that he was even hit by a Vault since it’s a very obvious animation, slow moving and all.(inb4 it game from Shadowstep (since that got nerfed as well)or other excuse).

I'm going to use stealth as my excuse.

> @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > > @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > > > > > lol. this change was good. stacking dmg modifiers outside of combat is dumb, it encourages one shot builds.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > can you tell me when was the last time a thief one shot you?

> > > We are talking about PvP not WvW and we're talking about THIEF no Deadeye.

> >

> > Two days ago. 19k vault.

> >

>

> we are close to 2019 and people still getting one shot by the most telegraphed skill in the game?

Vault is the most telegraphed skill on thief, not the most telegraphed skill in the game.

> There's no reason to approve this change unless you hate thief which seems to be the perfect excuse to say " yeah mang it's a good nerf cuz thief can one shot from stealth duuuhh"

While a true 1-shot is rare, thieves have been alpha'ing people for 60%+ of their total health pretty much since the game launched. I think shifting thief away from gank gimmicks is healthy for the game.

> @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > @"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:

> > > @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > > > @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > > > > @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > > > > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > > > > > lol. this change was good. stacking dmg modifiers outside of combat is dumb, it encourages one shot builds.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Did they make the same change to Maul?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > do ranger one shots have anything to do with teef one shots?

> > > > >

> > > > > can you tell me when was the last time a thief one shot you?

> > > > > We are talking about PvP not WvW and we're talking about THIEF no Deadeye.

> > > >

> > > > Two days ago. 19k vault.

> > > >

> > >

> > > 19k Vault in PvP? Were you below 50% hp? Because otherwise, thats just not even possible (the multiplier on vault isnt nearly high enough to get to 19k without a lot of <50% damage boosts). And if you were, thats not a oneshot.

> >

> > I find it funny that he was even hit by a Vault since it’s a very obvious animation, slow moving and all.(inb4 it game from Shadowstep (since that got nerfed as well)or other excuse).

>

> I'm going to use stealth as my excuse.

Meh but that’s because stealths a gimmick but then again most things in this game are a gimmick. At least they had to use all their Initiative to even do Stealth into Vault at least to be Unnoticed, or they blew a long cd for that stealth setup.

> @"foste.3098" said:

> Seriously what is the point of the thief now? if you want to decap you will have low damage upon re-engaging a fight because someone somewhere thought it was a good idea for the mobile squishy class to lose damage for utilizing its mobility, making said mobility pointless when compared to the alternatives.

> Why should anyone role a thief to decap and +1 opportune fights when a spell breaker using sword/shield greatsword can do the same, albeit slightly slower, but not sacrifice any damage while doing so all the while having more staying power while fighting? Or when a jaunting sword mirage can do the same while having more utility, or a soul beast who can be a brick wall and never die if he wants to, or hell just role an engineer and slap on rocket boots and you can do the stupid decap role well enough while actually having something to offer other than a burst of damage once every 20 sec.

>

> TLDR: this made up 'decaping' role is warping the balancing of thief to the point where all the class can do is run away and occasionally help kill a player who is already dying. Meanwhile other classes are getting more mobility, slowly making the speed of thief null and void.

Excellent post and thank you for not being biased against thieves as a ranger. Thieves have always been nerfed because they gank people. This makes the majority hate thieves and want them to be nerfed.

> > >

> >

>

> You said one shot builds... I played 2 versions of ranger that relies on spamming maul out of combat for that extra 50% damage, not 15% that lead would provide with several skills stacking it but a whole 50% from using 1 skill...

>

> When you made your comment, did you conveniently ignore Ranger? Or just not think about it?

Another good post since ranger has many damage modifers which were not even touched. If Arenanet is going to attempt to balance the game they need to equally nerf similar traits across all classes. Until the game is balanced more objectively it will always disappoint the playerbase.

> @"getalifeturd.8139" said:

> > @"foste.3098" said:

> > Seriously what is the point of the thief now? if you want to decap you will have low damage upon re-engaging a fight because someone somewhere thought it was a good idea for the mobile squishy class to lose damage for utilizing its mobility, making said mobility pointless when compared to the alternatives.

> > Why should anyone role a thief to decap and +1 opportune fights when a spell breaker using sword/shield greatsword can do the same, albeit slightly slower, but not sacrifice any damage while doing so all the while having more staying power while fighting? Or when a jaunting sword mirage can do the same while having more utility, or a soul beast who can be a brick wall and never die if he wants to, or hell just role an engineer and slap on rocket boots and you can do the stupid decap role well enough while actually having something to offer other than a burst of damage once every 20 sec.

> >

> > TLDR: this made up 'decaping' role is warping the balancing of thief to the point where all the class can do is run away and occasionally help kill a player who is already dying. Meanwhile other classes are getting more mobility, slowly making the speed of thief null and void.

>

> Excellent post and thank you for not being biased against thieves as a ranger. Thieves have always been nerfed because they gank people. This makes the majority hate thieves and want them to be nerfed.

>

>

>

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > You said one shot builds... I played 2 versions of ranger that relies on spamming maul out of combat for that extra 50% damage, not 15% that lead would provide with several skills stacking it but a whole 50% from using 1 skill...

> >

> > When you made your comment, did you conveniently ignore Ranger? Or just not think about it?

>

> Another good post since ranger has many damage modifers which were not even touched. If Arenanet is going to attempt to balance the game they need to equally nerf similar traits across all classes. Until the game is balanced more objectively it will always disappoint the playerbase.

Could be an oversight for all we know

> > @"getalifeturd.8139" said:

> > > @"foste.3098" said:

> > > Seriously what is the point of the thief now? if you want to decap you will have low damage upon re-engaging a fight because someone somewhere thought it was a good idea for the mobile squishy class to lose damage for utilizing its mobility, making said mobility pointless when compared to the alternatives.

> > > Why should anyone role a thief to decap and +1 opportune fights when a spell breaker using sword/shield greatsword can do the same, albeit slightly slower, but not sacrifice any damage while doing so all the while having more staying power while fighting? Or when a jaunting sword mirage can do the same while having more utility, or a soul beast who can be a brick wall and never die if he wants to, or hell just role an engineer and slap on rocket boots and you can do the stupid decap role well enough while actually having something to offer other than a burst of damage once every 20 sec.

> > >

> > > TLDR: this made up 'decaping' role is warping the balancing of thief to the point where all the class can do is run away and occasionally help kill a player who is already dying. Meanwhile other classes are getting more mobility, slowly making the speed of thief null and void.

> >

> > Excellent post and thank you for not being biased against thieves as a ranger. Thieves have always been nerfed because they gank people. This makes the majority hate thieves and want them to be nerfed.

> >

> >

> >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > You said one shot builds... I played 2 versions of ranger that relies on spamming maul out of combat for that extra 50% damage, not 15% that lead would provide with several skills stacking it but a whole 50% from using 1 skill...

> > >

> > > When you made your comment, did you conveniently ignore Ranger? Or just not think about it?

> >

> > Another good post since ranger has many damage modifers which were not even touched. If Arenanet is going to attempt to balance the game they need to equally nerf similar traits across all classes. Until the game is balanced more objectively it will always disappoint the playerbase.

>

> Could be an oversight for all we know

Highly doubtful, there is a long history of double standards of balance, across all classes.