Should ele auras be strengthened?

Axl.8924

> @"apharma.3741" said:

> Chaos Armor Give yourself random boons and your foe random conditions whenever you are struck.

>  

> Fire Shield Enveloped in a fiery shield that burns foes, grants might each time you are struck (1-second cooldown per attacker).

>  

> Frost Aura Chill foes that strike you (only once per second for each attacker); incoming damage is reduced by 10%.

>  

> Light Aura When struck, you gain retaliation. Incoming condition damage is reduced by 10%. (Cooldown: 1s)

>  

> Magnetic Aura Reflect projectiles with magnetic energy.

>  

> Shocking Aura Stun nearby attacking foes with an electric shock (only once per 2 seconds for each attacker).

>

> From https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aura

>

> Given that chaos armour isn't technically an aura and it and light aura isn't common on ele it just leaves the others. In my opinion all of them are fine except maybe fire aura, I'd like to see the ICD for that reduced to 1/2s.

>

> They also buffed a lot of them by letting you transmute them and they have really good transmute effects.

>

> I'd personally like to see the passive frost aura's leave traits though. Tempest gets tons of frost aura from water and tempest which makes attacking them really obnoxious and they're passively activated.

Its an aura now Chaos armor its effected by the longer aura duration it seems i not tested it for the effect though. Now only if ele could give out Chaos armor with out an mez in the group.

Bit of an update to this only the rune set is effecting it nothing else. Not sure if that a bug or not. Would be kind of nice for the ele class if chaos armor was an aura though it would be realy powerful with powerful auras.

What I dislike is the inconsistency of combos.

Leap+elemental field -> Elemental aura

Leap+water field -> healing

Leap+lightning field -> dazing strike

Some blasts through some fields give a boon or an effect while others give an aura.

What I would like:

1- stop calling fire aura a shield. It doesn't protect you in any way what-so-ever. Or make Fire Shield actually shield you.

2- Elementalist lacks elemental fields (other than fire). Many fire fields accross every weapon set, quite some water fields, not so much ice field, one or two usable lightning fields, zero earth field (maybe because the ground you're walking on is actually a carpet), zero air field (maybe because the air you're breathing is actually vacuum), zero arcane field.

3- more auras. Why no water aura? Remove a condition or heal each strike. Air aura? Destroy or block projectiles (even at 50% chance, I belieave there was a GW1 skill that did that). A way to get magnetic aura through an earth field maybe?

There is so much possibilities with this class, but Elementalist just feels like a pyromancer. And yet no one traits fire.

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> I think they're great utility skills and extremely undervalued

What you say is right and at the same time wrong. You are right because on the paper an effect that punish the attacker and reinforce you is a very good thing that can only be sought out by all players. You are wrong because in the context of GW2 and especially the elementalist relying on those effect is bound to cause your fall.

It's stupid but GW2 just isn't the kind of game where you want to be hit and elementalist is probably the worst profession to choose if you were to want to be hit. The elementalist being the one to have the most access to auras just make things awkward for the players for this very reason. If you add the fact that ultimately a player is often a very selfish being that seek personnal efficiency before even thinking of group efficiency, auras just end up having no place in the game.

That's one of the reason I advocate aura to become proactives effects instead of reactive effect. It's not fun to have to let players attack you to benefit from something, nor is it adapted to the elementalist's design as a whole.

I think that in GW2 as a whole, the only profession that really have a defense philosophy matching with the auras philosophy is the necromancer. On other professions such effects hoover from somewhat usefull to totally wasted.

Edit: That said, I'm not saying that there is no way to take advantage of aura with the elementalist, especially in a power heavy meta. However, I'm not sure the gameplay involved would be attractive for most elementalist nor do I think that elementalist's players are ready to build for it.

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > I think they're great utility skills and extremely undervalued

>

> What you say is right and at the same time wrong. You are right because on the paper an effect that punish the attacker and reinforce you is a very good thing that can only be sought out by all players. You are wrong because in the context of GW2 and especially the elementalist relying on those effect is bound to cause your fall.

>

> It's stupid but GW2 just isn't the kind of game where you want to be hit and elementalist is probably the worst profession to choose if you were to want to be hit. The elementalist being the one to have the most access to auras just make things awkward for the players for this very reason. If you add the fact that ultimately a player is often a very selfish being that seek personnal efficiency before even thinking of group efficiency, auras just end up having no place in the game.

>

> That's one of the reason I advocate aura to become proactives effects instead of reactive effect. It's not fun to have to let players attack you to benefit from something, nor is it adapted to the elementalist's design as a whole.

>

> I think that in GW2 as a whole, the only profession that really have a defense philosophy matching with the auras philosophy is the necromancer. On other professions such effects hoover from somewhat usefull to totally wasted.

>

> Edit: That said, I'm not saying that there is no way to take advantage of aura with the elementalist, especially in a power heavy meta. However, I'm not sure the gameplay involved would be attractive for most elementalist nor do I think that elementalist's players are ready to build for it.

They're great if used properly. You don't wanna soak up big hits for example on fire aura, you want to aim for lots of little hits and save a frost aura for fighting other elementists.. use static to fight melee builds and magnetic aura when you are about to get slammed by projectiles..

Try and combine effects too like weakness, regen, protection and frost aura..

I still believe they should count as boons. Boon duration would become more powerful for Ele, where it's a pretty poor stat due to awful boon coverage and at the same time give them a place in the game through the plethora of traits that scale on the amount of boons you have, technically turning each of the auras into a 2% damage increase.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> I still believe they should count as boons. Boon duration would become more powerful for Ele, where it's a pretty poor stat due to awful boon coverage and at the same time give them a place in the game through the plethora of traits that scale on the amount of boons you have, technically turning each of the auras into a 2% damage increase.

Then they would be corruptable..?

Id love to boost it with concentration but the drawback would be giving more ammunition to Necro.

Having access to Light Aura or Field would be nice too, at least from my DD Tempest.

The issue with auras whether they are useful or not is that they exist on certain weapons with a specific attunement, not like ele can pop them right away once they are struck or about to be, the effect might be magical but the weapon and the attunement you're set on at that time pretty much nullify the situation, better off with dealing more damage before dying than getting into an attunement and a weapon for as questionable survivability. Auras need to be reworked in terms of effectiveness and allowing it to be offensive, accessing them at any time without major losses, shouldn't be weapon specific that much (more like you do so, you get so), also the effects shouldn't always encourage getting hit for a class that dies from 2 hits when going for damage or applies 0 pressure for the period of healing because the aura works that way, more like ele should be able to use them for other purposes.

Delete fire aura on picking up conjure. Has anyone ever thought for a moment this would be a hell of a choice? I don't even understand the point of this trait. Make something else along the other traits burning precision and cleansing fire? Burn your foes everytime you cleanse a condition? Transfer a condition everytime you burn a foe? Increased crit chance against burning foes?

I mean, how can ele still afford so many useless traits, with no useful synergy whatsoever?

> @"LegoBrave.6147" said:

> Auras are nice but they NEVER stood out as being amazing from the start. The power creep has ruined them. I agree to a small buff AND longer durations. Making auras overall better rather than applying to more people might be the way to go. I could see either though.

Truth. Aura's haven't seen much change since the games beginnings. Frankly almost all of our trait-lines have been hit in nerfs years ago that these days, if reverted would still be underpowered back when anet gutted d/d cele ele. Magnetic aura is the most potent one we've got going for us in a group setting, with shocking aura in a close second, and if you can transmute SA, it's maybe stronger than magnetic aura. (Transmute can crit for reasonable damage, 2000-3000, and also stuns the enemy again lol)

Fire & Frost aura however are so 2012 at the moment as far as passive effects go. they'd be a welcome strong addition if you could either stack an auras duration up to a cap of say 8-12 seconds, or maybe keep it as is where it can't stack, and extend the duration to 6 seconds base, and 7.98 seconds duration w/ radiance runes.

fire aura's passive potency could stand to be buffed, 2 incoming might per strike maybe. and extend base burning duration on foes to 2-3 seconds.

or you make it a more formidable effect where if your struck your enemy has 3-5 stacks of burn applied for 1 second, applying a liberal amount of damage if specced for it.

(with an icd of course.) would make people think twice before attacking you with fire aura up, if they could commit & take the punishment, or die. also has counterplay via resistance & some other sources im sure i'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

**Ele is a jack of all trades, master of none**

They don't have enough condi clear; if you build them like a tank they do 0 damage, if you want damage then you down like a wet noodle. If you want in between you do nothing to offer anything beneficial to either dps or support.

There are classes that offer better support and utility where ele lacks in all experiences except some aspects of DPS, weaver can achieve high numbers still with damage based stats.

Ele is a high skill cap class but the bar is set extremely low, it's like when you make that really awesome class that CAN do really well, but you only allow them to do some of the things when they're actually meant to do more. _A potentially amazing class that is managed by blind and deaf developers_.

Tempest is that middle class, they can offer some support and a little bit of damage, but don't expect to be pulled off of the bench compared to druids/ soulbeasts or firebrands, scourges/ reapers or mesmers or engineers. These classes specialize in more specific areas where ele is a little bit of all _but_ these classes do it much, much better.

**Tempest needs an overhaul in boons**. Give Tempest Resistance and Alacrity.

Give Staff Elementalist the old Meteor Shower it used to have, where the hitbox was much larger-- don't increase the damage just increase the hitbox and make the skill cast quicker.

Warhorn needs a complete rework, make the skills EoA aura and burst based and not useless animations you have to track. (Looking at you Tidal Surge & Water Globe and Cyclone and Lightning Orb.) Or make the skills/ animations work much faster.

Boost the damage and lower the CD's of Sword, make elemental swapping more rewarding instead of a must in order to survive.

Elementalist right now and for a long time has fallen short of decent when it comes to boons/ support.

The primordial thing to do is to exchange Powerful Aura from Water with Elemental Bastion from Tempest. It would be a buff both to core/weaver and to tempest.

Tempest should have the choice to be a healer/bunker or a (power) buffer with for example Fire-Air, and not be stucked with Water to share auras.

Edit: if you give alacrity and resistance to tempest (which is nice) I just stop to play weaver. Resistance should be core, in earth lane for example or with the fireshield trait for example.

> @"Khailyn.6248" said:

> The thing I would like to see from auras is having them on more weapon slots for easier access and variety during an encounter.

Oh god everything but this. In their current iteration Auras are incredibly bad as weapon skills. Or at least some are. Imaging having fire Aura on more than focus, it is already a wasted slot there. I don’t want to imagine having this trash somewhere else too. Without a rebalance of the auras I would even go so far and say remove at least fire aura as a skill completely it is simply never worth it.

Not to mention that the new aura conversion did nothing to improve the base problem. They should have made active skills out of theme that do an effect first and then apply the aura. The whole transmute is simply made to fail. While an active skill might help to improve the auras as weapon skills, then they would still suck if you get them from a different source. So, some improvement on the auras themselves might still be needed.

But that is part of why I voted that auras should be strengthened. Not only are they not worth their slot on the weapons but additionally the different auras have a gap in power between them wider than the Atlantic Ocean. I still think fire aura should pulse some damage for example.

> @"Mithos.9023" said:

> > @"Khailyn.6248" said:

> > The thing I would like to see from auras is having them on more weapon slots for easier access and variety during an encounter.

>

> Oh god everything but this. In their current iteration Auras are incredibly bad as weapon skills. Or at least some are. Imaging having fire Aura on more than focus, it is already a wasted slot there. I don’t want to imagine having this trash somewhere else too. Without a rebalance of the auras I would even go so far and say remove at least fire aura as a skill completely it is simply never worth it.

>

> Not to mention that the new aura conversion did nothing to improve the base problem. They should have made active skills out of theme that do an effect first and then apply the aura. The whole transmute is simply made to fail. While an active skill might help to improve the auras as weapon skills, then they would still suck if you get them from a different source. So, some improvement on the auras themselves might still be needed.

>

> But that is part of why I voted that auras should be strengthened. Not only are they not worth their slot on the weapons but additionally the different auras have a gap in power between them wider than the Atlantic Ocean. I still think fire aura should pulse some damage for example.

>

I never said not to strengthen them too. The whole transmute thing was a step in the right direction, but they have a long way to go. IMO warhorn should have been the aura weapon, so at least if others didnt like them then there would be other weapons to use.

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > @"MyPuppy.8970" said:

> > Even in 2012 Fire Aura was useless.

>

> 2012 burn dealt a lot more damage than 2019 burn. Which make 2012 fire aura somewhat better than 2019's.

It use to have -20% condi duration tide to it too though i do not think it ever worked right.

What they can do is have a grandmaster trait in tempest traitline which lets us choose between defensive aura (like they are right now) and offensive auras (new type) if we go for that specific trait.

Offensive aura can be like.

**Fire aura** - pulse burning for the duration aura is up.

**Water aura** - pulse chill

**Lighting aura** - pulse blind

**Earth aura** - pulse cripple or weakness

**Light aura** - pulse vulnerability

**Chaos** - pulse random conditions

All in 150-200 range of target. Slightly more than melee range in general.

> @"Khailyn.6248" said:

> I never said not to strengthen them too. The whole transmute thing was a step in the right direction, but they have a long way to go. IMO warhorn should have been the aura weapon, so at least if others didnt like them then there would be other weapons to use.

Seems I got your intentions wrong. But now I think I understand where your idea is coming from.

It has to do with the transmute skill of the auras?

Nevertheless, that is the only thing I guess where more access would be profitable. But the transmute skills have more problem than just being bound to the aura skill and with this to a specific weapon as well. As you have to cycle attunements you won’t be in the specific element most of the time even if you might get an aura and transmuting would be needed. With being limited to one attunement while you have to switch constantly it feels like our own class design works against them and blocks the transmute skill from ever becoming useful.

I don’t think auras being moved to every weapon would solve this as they still are blocked by 3 of 4 attunements. Overall as they are they became skills that are used the moment you use the corresponding aura skill as otherwise there won’t be a chance to fire them anyway. Get the aura, get one or two procs from it if at all and then fire the transmute simply because you can not use them tactical otherwise anyway.

I wish it was more like the guardian torch skill Zaelot’s flame. But that will never be the case as you can’t skill for aura transmute, you can’t choose to focus on it as you always equip 3 additional attunements that block your access. It would work if auras were somewhere else and not on the weapon sets.

At least this are my thoughts on the transmutation skills in general. They did not much to help auras and they need work even if auras should be rebalanced.

> @"Mithos.9023" said:

> > @"Khailyn.6248" said:

> > I never said not to strengthen them too. The whole transmute thing was a step in the right direction, but they have a long way to go. IMO warhorn should have been the aura weapon, so at least if others didnt like them then there would be other weapons to use.

>

> Seems I got your intentions wrong. But now I think I understand where your idea is coming from.

> It has to do with the transmute skill of the auras?

> Nevertheless, that is the only thing I guess where more access would be profitable. But the transmute skills have more problem than just being bound to the aura skill and with this to a specific weapon as well. As you have to cycle attunements you won’t be in the specific element most of the time even if you might get an aura and transmuting would be needed. With being limited to one attunement while you have to switch constantly it feels like our own class design works against them and blocks the transmute skill from ever becoming useful.

> I don’t think auras being moved to every weapon would solve this as they still are blocked by 3 of 4 attunements. Overall as they are they became skills that are used the moment you use the corresponding aura skill as otherwise there won’t be a chance to fire them anyway. Get the aura, get one or two procs from it if at all and then fire the transmute simply because you can not use them tactical otherwise anyway.

> I wish it was more like the guardian torch skill Zaelot’s flame. But that will never be the case as you can’t skill for aura transmute, you can’t choose to focus on it as you always equip 3 additional attunements that block your access. It would work if auras were somewhere else and not on the weapon sets.

> At least this are my thoughts on the transmutation skills in general. They did not much to help auras and they need work even if auras should be rebalanced.

yep you got it. sums up my thoughts exactly.