Suspended For Spamming

> @"Jelly Pain.8027" said:

> So what did I do wrong. Assuming I did? I will learn nothing from this having no one contact me. Assuming I did nothing wrong. Followed all the rules. Having paid for my license to play. Possibly players in game wanted to troll me and reported me and the Mod pushed a button without looking into it at all.

Since you submitted a support ticket, they will eventually get back to you. Then you can discuss the specifics with them.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if it's possible that the game automatically put you off for 3h because you were changing maps and announcing a copy/paste in map chat concurrently. That would be the same sort of action that would flag a gold seller. Maybe changing the message in some way will prevent it from triggering if that is in fact the case. Another option is to buy a 2nd account to use for guild recruiting so that your main account isn't locked out.

> How about the fact that I paid to play... This is my game. No one contacted me prior to ban. no one has assured me this won't happen in the future...

>

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Jelly Pain.8027" said:

> > > I want to be compensated.

> > How about if ANet reduces your monthly subscription by a day's worth?

> >

> >

>

>

How about you read the ToS and don't spam so quickly. Maybe spread out the times between messages? You got reported for spamming by another player. Be glad it was only 3 hours.

.> @"starhunter.6015" said:

> > @"Jelly Pain.8027" said:

> > How about the fact that I paid to play... This is my game. No one contacted me prior to ban. no one has assured me this won't happen in the future...

> >

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Jelly Pain.8027" said:

> > > > I want to be compensated.

> > > How about if ANet reduces your monthly subscription by a day's worth?

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> How about you read the ToS and don't spam so quickly. Maybe spread out the times between messages? You got reported for spamming by another player. Be glad it was only 3 hours.

I went form map to map. I didn't stay on the same map. Once a map from map to map and didn't get through Tyria.

> .> @"starhunter.6015" said:

> > > @"Jelly Pain.8027" said:

> > > How about the fact that I paid to play... This is my game. No one contacted me prior to ban. no one has assured me this won't happen in the future...

> > >

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @"Jelly Pain.8027" said:

> > > > > I want to be compensated.

> > > > How about if ANet reduces your monthly subscription by a day's worth?

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > How about you read the ToS and don't spam so quickly. Maybe spread out the times between messages? You got reported for spamming by another player. Be glad it was only 3 hours.

>

> I went form map to map. I didn't stay on the same map. Once a map from map to map and didn't get through Tyria.

How many times did you post it on map, and how long did you wait before heading to next map. All those can match up to a bot ran account if too quick.

> So what did I do wrong. Assuming I did?

This is the 2nd case within a month of someone being banned for saying 1 message in multiple maps. It technically is spam and is no different from the bots that whisper everyone. ArenaNet has been a lot more strict in the last year, but only support will be able to tell you if this was right, or if the GM who banned you was just being lazy, since when they go to look at your chat log, they're going to see everything you said back to back.

If you want to prevent this, stop using the exact same message or pad your chat log so you're not saying the same thing back to back. You should make each message personalized (both the start and end should look different at a glance) and don't use special characters to make it stand out, since that automatically makes it look like spam.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> What sort of compensation do you imagine is reasonable in a pay-once-to-play game in which you couldn't play for a few hours?

They actually do give out compensation (in gems), but it's likely entirely up to how generous the GM is.

Anet probably doesn’t segregate chat across maps similarly like how posting the same message across different threads/sub forums would count as spamming. In other words, they saw multiple chat messages being submitted by a person within a short period of time and considered it spamming.

Edit: Would whispering the same message to every player you come across be considered spam? If so, why would sending one on every map not be so?

Also, if you have your entire guild spamming map chats, there’s a very high chance that they’ll overlap each other and your guild advertisement would indeed be spam on an individual map’s chat even though by multiple players.

> @"Vinceman.4572" said:

> I'd really like to have a confirmation about this from Anet otherwise I do not believe anything you wrote here, OP.

> Also, the statement made by other posters that there has been the same issue weeks ago is not trustworthy unless you show us official ban windows/messages.

This was the first time ever it happened to me I was the only other one that has posted. Do you really think in 11 years then this happens I would think to take a screen? I was dumbfounded. Whether you believe it or not it is happening and not just to the 2 of us.

>

> This is the 2nd case within a month of someone being banned for saying 1 message in multiple maps. It technically is spam and is no different from the bots that whisper everyone. ArenaNet has been a lot more strict in the last year, but only support will be able to tell you if this was right, or if the GM who banned you was just being lazy, since when they go to look at your chat log, they're going to see everything you said back to back.

>

> If you want to prevent this, stop using the exact same message or pad your chat log so you're not saying the same thing back to back. You should make each message personalized (both the start and end should look different at a glance) and don't use special characters to make it stand out, since that automatically makes it look like spam.

There are a lot of Guilds that recruit using special characters in their recruit message to make it stand out, I see nothing wrong with that. There are several that sit in Lions Arch and spam all day are they still there? yes they are. There has been more than 2 case's of this in a month I don't know where that info came from. We do alternate our recruit message when we do recruit.

> @"DivaCeryn.2673" said:

> > @"Vinceman.4572" said:

> > I'd really like to have a confirmation about this from Anet otherwise I do not believe anything you wrote here, OP.

> > Also, the statement made by other posters that there has been the same issue weeks ago is not trustworthy unless you show us official ban windows/messages.

>

> This was the first time ever it happened to me I was the only other one that has posted. Do you really think in 11 years then this happens I would think to take a screen? I was dumbfounded. Whether you believe it or not it is happening and not just to the 2 of us.

Screenshot of an official statement that your ban resulted from spamming guild ad or it didn't happen!

> @"Vinceman.4572" said:

> > @"DivaCeryn.2673" said:

> > > @"Vinceman.4572" said:

> > > I'd really like to have a confirmation about this from Anet otherwise I do not believe anything you wrote here, OP.

> > > Also, the statement made by other posters that there has been the same issue weeks ago is not trustworthy unless you show us official ban windows/messages.

> >

> > This was the first time ever it happened to me I was the only other one that has posted. Do you really think in 11 years then this happens I would think to take a screen? I was dumbfounded. Whether you believe it or not it is happening and not just to the 2 of us.

>

> Screenshot of an official statement that your ban resulted from spamming guild ad or it didn't happen!

>

>

I don't know the OP; they haven't been on the forums much. But @"DivaCeryn.2673" has a long posting history. They are omnipresent in discussing gold-earning techniques here & on Reddit. I'm willing to take their word that (a) they were suspended, that (b) it happened while they were recruiting, that © they aren't likely to have used untoward language or spammed more maps than usual.

That doesn't mean I agree that there's an issue. It does mean I'm keeping an open mind about whether there's been a change in ANet policy or maybe the GM team has a new person that is taking their anti-spam responsibilities too far. The main reason I doubt it's an official change is that it's inefficient to change how rules are enforced without first letting the community know. To get people to slow down at stop signs, the cops do both: ticket more violators **after** publicizing that they will be handing out more violations.

I think the OP and others who have experienced need to find out what support says. And probably ask for the issue to be escalated, so that someone can double check whether this is really intended by ANet or if it's an accident of ... something else.

> > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > Just an idea - did you happen to put one of your recruitment messages into the LFG system where it does not belong? That seems to be much more likely to get reported than a "normal" guild recruitment message in map chat. Otherwise, I would agree with others in this thread that whatever you did in chat maybe happened earlier and is not related to the recruitment messages, alhough you did not reveal how often and how long you sent those messages.....

>

> I did several times explain what I was doing. I would go to a map drop guild banner. Just 1. Leave map go to next map. I didn't even get through Tyria before the ban. It was within 20 mins.

You told us the tiny bit of what you were doing that **you think** got you suspended. ArenaNet did not tell you that you were suspended for dropping a banner, nor did they tell you you were suspended for those "normal" guild recruitment messages. You said yourself that you do not know what you were doing wrong, so do not limit this topic to your banners or your "normal" recruitment messages in map chat just because that was what you were doing **at the specific time you were banned**.

It makes sense to think about what else you may have done to get suspended, hence my question about putting guild recruitment into lfg. You could have just said you did not use the lfg system instead of dismissing the question.

Why do people automatically go into judge, jury, executioner mode. Nobody asked you to believe what they're telling you. They're just telling you what they think they might have done to make you aware and others are replying that it's been noted the same thing has happened to them. Use some common sense and give people the benefit of the doubt. Nobody has to prove anything to you with screenshots. If you don't believe them, go do what they said they were doing and report back if you get suspended too... and get trolled about lying about it. I've never ran into OP or seen his recruitment messages, but I have met Diva on a few occasions and she is good ppls. She wouldn't have any reason to make that up. Some of you trolls need to get some maturity and get over yourselves.

> @"TokenG.7863" said:

> Why do people automatically go into judge, jury, executioner mode. Nobody asked you to believe what they're telling you. They're just telling you what they think they might have done to make you aware and others are replying that it's been noted the same thing has happened to them. Use some common sense and give people the benefit of the doubt. Nobody has to prove anything to you with screenshots. If you don't believe them, go do what they said they were doing and report back if you get suspended too... and get trolled about lying about it. I've never ran into OP or seen his recruitment messages, but I have met Diva on a few occasions and she is good ppls. She wouldn't have any reason to make that up. Some of you trolls need to get some maturity and get over yourselves.

Well there is a big reason people do it tho becouse people come on forums/reddit and lie, I did this and this nothing wrong with that, why was I banned.

Then person in charge of said ban comes into some reddit threads and lay down what really happened.

Quite sad that anet seem to have stop doing that tho.

As me and others in this thread have said just becouse you got banned while doing something dont mean thats the reason you were banned.

Maybe for instance you kicked someone out of a dungeon group months ago and sold or gave the spot to a guildie you thought deserved the rewards for run more.

That could and should get you banned for example.

> @"TokenG.7863" said:

> Why do people automatically go into judge, jury, executioner mode. Nobody asked you to believe what they're telling you. They're just telling you what they think they might have done to make you aware and others are replying that it's been noted the same thing has happened to them. Use some common sense and give people the benefit of the doubt. Nobody has to prove anything to you with screenshots. If you don't believe them, go do what they said they were doing and report back if you get suspended too... and get trolled about lying about it. I've never ran into OP or seen his recruitment messages, but I have met Diva on a few occasions and she is good ppls. She wouldn't have any reason to make that up. Some of you trolls need to get some maturity and get over yourselves.

No, because it doesn't work this way. The issue of being banned falsely or lying about the reasons of a ban have a long history in video games. It's nothing related to GW2. I've seen so many false claims over the years so I only believe people in forums if they can post real facts with proof(s) or adequate calculations/valid statistics. We even had good laughs in the forum and reddit when people were banned correctly and Anet showed some clear arguments.

In this case we only have the word of the OP and a few which I've never met or talked to neither in rl nor in game. I'd really like to have clarification from Anet since this could affect my guild and my leading habits (a.k.a. recruiting ads) in the future if it were the case that you will get banned for just posting one message on each map. A ban because of this never occurred to me or my other fellow leaders before so that it would be very important to know if this is now happening or people were banned because they did things they wouldn't tell us here.

> @"Vinceman.4572" said:

> > @"TokenG.7863" said:

> > Why do people automatically go into judge, jury, executioner mode. Nobody asked you to believe what they're telling you. They're just telling you what they think they might have done to make you aware and others are replying that it's been noted the same thing has happened to them. Use some common sense and give people the benefit of the doubt. Nobody has to prove anything to you with screenshots. If you don't believe them, go do what they said they were doing and report back if you get suspended too... and get trolled about lying about it. I've never ran into OP or seen his recruitment messages, but I have met Diva on a few occasions and she is good ppls. She wouldn't have any reason to make that up. Some of you trolls need to get some maturity and get over yourselves.

>

> No, because it doesn't work this way. The issue of being banned falsely or lying about the reasons of a ban have a long history in video games. It's nothing related to GW2. I've seen so many false claims over the years so I only believe people in forums if they can post real facts with proof(s) or adequate calculations/valid statistics. We even had good laughs in the forum and reddit when people were banned correctly and Anet showed some clear arguments.

> In this case we only have the word of the OP and a few which I've never met or talked to neither in rl nor in game. I'd really like to have clarification from Anet since this could affect my guild and my leading habits (a.k.a. recruiting ads) in the future if it were the case that you will get banned for just posting one message on each map. A ban because of this never occurred to me or my other fellow leaders before so that it would be very important to know if this is now happening or people were banned because they did things they wouldn't tell us here.

It works just fine. This was a PSA more or less. And you had at least one other person confirm that it had happened to them. Demanding proof like a screenshot is absurd. If you don't want to take a friendly warning seriously you don't have to. Go hop maps and spam Guild Recruitment and learn for yourself. Maybe come back and show us your screenshot if you get the opportunity. But don't outright call somebody a liar without proof because it doesn't suit you.

The OP needs to wait to hear from support if they indeed submitted a ticket. People here can guess as to what may have happened, make accusations, challenge what may or may not be truth all day long but none of that matters. Only support can provide an answer to the OP with certainty as they are the only ones with access to the actual data that lead to the suspension. I know people like drama and all that but this is an issue between the OP and support at this point. The OP had an issue and was correctly told to submit a support ticket. That is all that is really needed as far as comments.

Ok for all of you that clearly don't read. I was map hopping in pve. I would hop to a map put my guild message in just once and leave the map. I had not gotten through all the maps in Tyria before I was banned. This is my guild message.

The Dragons of [Orr] are recruiting! WVW GUILD★ Stormbluff Isles Server★ 210 members ★ Fun, relaxed and helpful ★Join our guild family★ Whisper for invite!

I didn't use map chat for anything other than my guild banner. Stop assuming that I did something wrong. Support has still not contacted me. I want to do a recruitment contest with my guild. I don't want my guild mates banned.

This is the second such thread in recent weeks. The last one seems to have disappeared, but it did 'have screenshots' indicating the 3-hour suspension was for 'spam'.

The OP may find such a message if he/she logs into his account on the 'Support' (link above/below) page.

The other thread's OP described the same exact behavior....quickly moving from map to map and posting the same guild recruitment message.

It's possible that there is some automated script that looks for repeating messages posted very quickly in maps; I have no idea.

> Simple thing to do was to message me.

The simple thing is for them to suspend.

Is that the best thing? the smartest thing? the most convenient? is it even their policy? Those are different questions. Suspension is always the least-effort option for a profit-oriented company in dealing with potential problems. The other option they've used a lot is to create message suppression system, which create other issues while preventing anyone from doing something that would get them suspended.

Separately, we do not know why you were suspended. We know what you were doing (or what you claim to be doing, to be technically accurate) when you were suspended, but that's different. Until support gets back to you with an explanation, it's speculative.

I mention this because it's common that a suspension comes from something that happened in the past, sometimes in the distant past. And support personnel have only gotten around to finishing the "paperwork." ANet often suspends in waves.

The fact that it was for 3 hours and it's similar to @"DivaCeryn.2673"'s experience makes your theory more plausible. For now, it remains a theory.

> How about the fact that I paid to play... This is my game. No one contacted me prior to ban. no one has assured me this won't happen in the future...

Are you trolling? Noone gets contacted prior to a ban lol.

On the other hand, if you behave the same way (spamming guild Ad) maybe support can tell you if this can happen again in the future or (very unlikely) if your ban was a mistake, so your best course of action is waiting for Support to answer your ticket.