Is Edge of Destiny now non-canon?

As much as I loved the episode, especially the final fight, and I **did** love this episode and that fight, everything honestly, while playing through the episode, there were a *lot* of inconsistencies and retcons to Edge of Destiny, particularly about Glint and Kralkatorrik. One of the most notable and story-relevant ones being the original Dragonsblood Spear's complete ineffectiveness against Branded, and Caithe collecting Kralkatorrik's blood at the end of the novel. There are other things too, and some inconsistencies between Edge of Destiny and Path of Fire, like Kralkatorrik's appearance and size.

I get that "what happens in the game takes precedence over lore outside of it", but it's gotten to a point where basically only the generalities of Edge of Destiny seem to remain canon.

So I feel I must ask, do the devs effectively treat Edge of Destiny as non-canon or, baring that extreme, as merely a very rough guideline for names and places?

Just want to reiterate how much I loved the episode, and honestly the only fault I feel there is, besides not enough cameos in the already jam-packed cameo department, would be what brings up this question.

I honestly think they just forgot all about those intricacies and will say that the novels are just going to be rough guidelines from now on. Because why have structure when you can just change the rules to suit your needs whenever you need to for the sake of epick storytellingzzzz?

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > There are other things too, and some inconsistencies between Edge of Destiny and Path of Fire, like Kralkatorrik's appearance and size.

>

> Whats inconsistent about kralk's size and appearance?

His appearance in the book is described with far more fleshiness to it compared to his in-game model(s). His eye is also described as green, like an emerald, and that coloration was even used in the Sorrow's Furnace story cinematic that told players of Destiny's Edge's fall. For size: he was mistaken for a mountain/mountain range while still mostly buried, yet fits within a mountain here (well, his head/neck); he was also described as "1,000 feet tall" which seems a bit shy here.

But the inconsistency I'm really curious about is the fact that we're told we have no Kralkatorrik blood to make a new spear, yet Caithe collected a bunch at the end of the Edge of Destiny novel.

My question here isn't criticism or the like. Honestly, given the quality of the novel and that unlike the other two it was fully written third party, I'd do the same and consider it just a rough guideline. I'm just hoping for an official statement. Especially since the only official statement akin to this ("when out-of-game and game contradict, game is more canon") is about non-officially released stuff like forum comments, and not about the books, etc.

Changes in Kralkatorrik could be waived away as changes wrought by him gorging on magic. Remember, in Edge of Destiny, he had just barely woken up and hadn't had time to feed at all yet.

I think Edge of Destiny was a bit off in the description of his size, because we saw Kralkatorrik in Guild Wars 1. GW1 Kralk and the Kralk we just saw in this episode line up in size (unlike GW1 Primordus and Flashpoint Primordus). That said, given the size we do observe, Kralkatorrik easily has a thousand-foot wingspan.

> @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> Changes in Kralkatorrik could be waived away as changes wrought by him gorging on magic.

*If* that theory has precedence. A theory created as a means for fans to waive the difference between GW1 Kralk and Primordus and their GW2 models.

> That said, given the size we do observe, Kralkatorrik easily has a thousand-foot wingspan.

1,000 feet height. Wingspan was as "stretched to unseeable distance" and blocking out the sun. Page 346.

But like I said, I don't want to focus on that bit of inconsistency.

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > Changes in Kralkatorrik could be waived away as changes wrought by him gorging on magic.

>

> *If* that theory has precedence. A theory created as a means for fans to waive the difference between GW1 Kralk and Primordus and their GW2 models.

It does have a precedent. We see how much Aurene changed after Balthazar's death and her feeding on his magic.

I reiterate, though, that Edge of Destiny was likely the one that was off.

> @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > > @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > > Changes in Kralkatorrik could be waived away as changes wrought by him gorging on magic.

> >

> > *If* that theory has precedence. A theory created as a means for fans to waive the difference between GW1 Kralk and Primordus and their GW2 models.

>

> It does have a precedent. We see how much Aurene changed after Balthazar's death and her feeding on his magic.

>

> I reiterate, though, that Edge of Destiny was likely the one that was off.

Sorry, meant to say "if that theory is correct". And I wouldn't really use Aurene as strong support, after all she doesn't physically change appearance (from flesh to rock like Kralkatorrik and Primordus did between the games), she just grows up from infant to teenager.

From who's prespective are we getting the info on the book? It would be interesting if theres a case of an unreliable narrator here whos just freaked out by what he saw and made it into something insane. A bit of a strech to suggest so but ehh (also not that kralk in the ep wasnt a massive beast judging from his neck and head)

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > > > @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > > > Changes in Kralkatorrik could be waived away as changes wrought by him gorging on magic.

> > >

> > > *If* that theory has precedence. A theory created as a means for fans to waive the difference between GW1 Kralk and Primordus and their GW2 models.

> >

> > It does have a precedent. We see how much Aurene changed after Balthazar's death and her feeding on his magic.

> >

> > I reiterate, though, that Edge of Destiny was likely the one that was off.

>

> Sorry, meant to say "if that theory is correct". And I wouldn't really use Aurene as strong support, after all she doesn't physically change appearance (from flesh to rock like Kralkatorrik and Primordus did between the games), she just grows up from infant to teenager.

Both kralk and primordus dont look fleshy in the first game tho. Primordus is looking very much rocky in game and kralk's back in eotn looks abit metalic tbch.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > > > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > > > > @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > > > > Changes in Kralkatorrik could be waived away as changes wrought by him gorging on magic.

> > > >

> > > > *If* that theory has precedence. A theory created as a means for fans to waive the difference between GW1 Kralk and Primordus and their GW2 models.

> > >

> > > It does have a precedent. We see how much Aurene changed after Balthazar's death and her feeding on his magic.

> > >

> > > I reiterate, though, that Edge of Destiny was likely the one that was off.

> >

> > Sorry, meant to say "if that theory is correct". And I wouldn't really use Aurene as strong support, after all she doesn't physically change appearance (from flesh to rock like Kralkatorrik and Primordus did between the games), she just grows up from infant to teenager.

>

> Both kralk and primordus dont look fleshy in the first game tho. Primordus is looking very much rocky in game and kralk's back in eotn looks abit metalic tbch.

I think they were just redesigned. It happens. And in game it’s easy to hand wave as “magic consumption has changed their form over the last 250 years.”